Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Eskaton posted:

You can't actually control the bowel movements of a horse. Also, where do you live that people are riding horses on trafficked roads?

Amish country?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Eskaton posted:

You can't actually control the bowel movements of a horse. Also, where do you live that people are riding horses on trafficked roads?

Anywhere outside a major city in the Appalachians?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The entire PNW highway system during the summer?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Ocala, or the horse part of Miami?

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJwB4RzGk5Y

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I encounter them occasionally on hiking and biking trails outside of town. It's pretty annoying to be flying down a nice piece of singletrack on my mtb and come across a huge pile of fresh horseshit dead center in the trail.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Eskaton posted:

I live so deep in Amish land that Verizon won't run fiber optic cable out here because I'm literally the only person on the road requesting internet service.
The worst is trying to avoid 10lb of fresh damp horse poo poo when you've just washed your car.
I had a guy smash into an Amish shed-wagon at 55mph roughly in front of my house and drag his hosed up crippled Prius into my yard instead of stopping at the top of the driveway like a sane person. You can see the wagon-shed in the background of the first picture, facing the wrong way after the incident and with Amish guys collecting their bits and pieces from the side of the road.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Eskaton posted:

The San Francisco Bay Area?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Eskaton posted:

You can't actually control the bowel movements of a horse.

I can't control the bowel movements of my dogs either, does that mean I should just be able to leave it wherever it falls?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sure the po-po just gonna love this one.

Never seen a plate wear like that.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

xzzy posted:

Sure the po-po just gonna love this one.

Interestingly, in most states it's illegal to touch up your plate if the numbers wear off. I know it's to prevent people from "touching up" a 0 into a Q or whatever, but still seems dumb to have to get a whole new plate.

I wonder if the state pays to replace it in case of an obvious manufacturing failure like that.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

My plate is starting to do that too. I'm in WI, and I think we can get replacements at no charge. I'm guessing it's a defect with a manufacturer that serves several states.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Eskaton posted:

You can carry a shovel and a garbage bag like dog walkers have to.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

Geoj posted:

I can't control the bowel movements of my dogs either, does that mean I should just be able to leave it wherever it falls?

Do people do this in the same places where they have to take care of dog crap? That's pretty stupid. I've only ridden horses in rural northern MI and Amish central MI and the only poop on the road is definitely gonna be on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere. Obviously Amish have to take actual highways, but they're not usually in the road.

Eskaton fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 31, 2016

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

xzzy posted:

Sagebrush posted:

I wonder if the state pays to replace it in case of an obvious manufacturing failure like that.

Illinois must have identified the batch of license plates they'd sent out with corrosion issues, and they sent out replacements by mail. My aunt received a duplicate set, surprised her because her original set was still fresh and clean. She parks in a heated & dehumidified garage every night, so jealous.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cross post from dash camera thread.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Ludicro posted:

There are two cyclists in this image, can you find them both?

4:40pm on Broadway, man in all black on a bike with no lights or reflectors swerving in and out of traffic near sunset. The picture makes it look a lot easier to see then it did in person.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Snitched on this guy after he almost hit the first parked car. Don't think the cop caught him though :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky2_wkBbFD4
Could smell MJ despite my closed windows, which is something I've never experienced before. Would guess MJ plus alcohol.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Eskaton posted:

loving downtown Chicago during the summer. There are horse-and-carriage dealies that tourists love, and the drat horses poo poo all over the street. I was dreading the day I would hit one on my motorcycle and crash in a big pile or horse poop.

nm posted:

Snitched on this guy after he almost hit the first parked car. Don't think the cop caught him though :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky2_wkBbFD4
Could smell MJ despite my closed windows, which is something I've never experienced before. Would guess MJ plus alcohol.

If that was a taxi cab, that driving would be entirely unremarkable.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jan 31, 2016

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

loving downtown Chicago during the summer. There are horse-and-carriage dealies that tourists love, and the drat horses poo poo all over the street. I was dreading the day I would hit one on my motorcycle and crash in a big pile or horse poop.

Who does this poo poo?
I've been a tourist in a lot of cities and "ride around in a horse drawn carriage" appears no where on any list.
Though admittedly neither does "take a tour bus" and a lot of stupid people take those.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

David Foster Wallace has an interesting take on that in "Ticket to the Fair". Apparantly the answer is rural midwesterners.
http://harpers.org/wp-content/uploads/HarpersMagazine-1994-07-0001729.pdf

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Flyover country. Figures.

wallaka fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 31, 2016

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Don't you live in Alabama or am I thinking of someone else.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Don't you live in Alabama or am I thinking of someone else.

I accidentally emptyquoted, had to type something. Think I'm gonna uninstall SALR.

I freely admit that Alabama is the 49th-worst state. Maybe the 48th depending on how terribly Arkansas and Louisiana are doing in a particular year.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wallaka posted:

Nice classism.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

wallaka posted:

DFW is from rural Illinois.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
:(

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

:stare:

Tell me the SUV person has been arrested.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Safety Dance posted:

We have those in the small, older downtown area in Omaha (the Old Market for any goons here). Usually the horse carriages just have a couple blocks near businesses to do their clip-clopping and I haven't seen much in the way of accidents or messes. Then again, there are cops on horseback, bicycle, and also tending to each street corner to make sure things are clear and organized, so maybe that's the difference?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

"Whoops, looks like I messed up and mis-timed my pass! I guess I'd better murder this guy rather than backing down!!"

With a mentality like that, I'm surprised that didn't happen in America.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
This is one of those things were the gif starts way too late. Who knows who the instigator is. But we know who the defendant is :haw:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

3 lanes down to 2 down to 1. RV driving down the middle of the two lanes when the merge to one lane is almost a mile away. Eat a huge dick you galactic fuckshit.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I was out for a motorcycle ride this evening and it seemed every 30 seconds or so someone decided I was having too much fun and had to cut me off in the far left lane without actually passing anyone, just jerking left, brake checking, and either staying at the same pace or moving back over once they were sure I wasn't having fun anymore.

I was only doing about 70 in a 55, not flying down the road like a retard at 100 like half the bikes here do.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

The small car touches the brakes for a brief moment just before the impact. If he'd gone hammer down he might not have been collected.

Indecison is a terrible thing.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
It was reasonable to brake, if someone was trying to pass me and it was going to be close my first reaction would be to slow and let it happen instead of hammer down to prevent it.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

The Mandingo posted:

It was reasonable to brake, if someone was trying to pass me and it was going to be close my first reaction would be to slow and let it happen instead of hammer down to prevent it.

It's situational, really. If [nasty situation] occurs, the options are pretty much (A) brake (B) accelerate (C) move (D) hold your line (E) poo poo (F) go blind.

It looks like the guy collected only had a second to react and started with (A) and then switched to (B) and ended up at (E), hence the indecision is an awful thing comment.

Monday morning quarterbacking but it looks like (C) was a viable option. Go for the shoulder/grass and take the ditch rather than eating truck tires and axle for your last meal.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

dee eight posted:

Monday morning quarterbacking but it looks like (C) was a viable option. Go for the shoulder/grass and take the ditch rather than eating truck tires and axle for your last meal.

not really when you've got a thing approaching in your blind spot which then PITs you into the truck

crocodile
Jun 19, 2004

apparently the washington state patrol doesn't see zipper merging as an acceptable way of entering traffic in a lane ending and merging down to the left, lol. got pulled over and beligerently yelled at by a state patrol officer for attempting to do this...and written a ticket for dare trying to explain myself.

so, headed south on i5 from highway 18 through the fife corridor (gently caress fife) headed to tacoma i usually just cruise the right lane during rush hour. it tends to move at a steadier pace than the usual stop and go through this whole area. the lane ends about 4 miles after the highway 18 -> i5 interchange. i'm coming up toward the merge point and see a good spot to merge in, probably 300 yards or so before the lane actually ends, turn on my signal and as i'm about to merge the douchebag behind me to the left decides his ego can't handle someone getting in front of him and speeds up to pace me long enough to flip me off while yelling some poo poo at me. the lane is coming pretty close to ending so i slow down enough to get in the gap behind him. as soon as i get behind him the fucker brake checks me in the pouring rain. we're only going about 35 and i wasn't right on his rear end so i had no problem stopping...unfortunately right past the merge point in the break-down lane to the right was a state trooper. as soon as we get past he lights us up. for 30 seconds or so i was genuinely excited and thought that he had seen what the douche in the ford SUV did and was going to nail him for it.......lol

aggro state patrol dude (ASPD): care to explain what the HELL you were doing back there?

ME: i was attempting to merge and the guy behind me sped up, wouldn't let me over and then brake che..../

ASPD: there are signs THREE MILES BACK TELLING YOU THE LANE ENDS. (it's actually 1.25 miles.)

ME: well sir, i've always been taught that the proper way to merge is to zipper in with traffic at the merg.../

ASPD: NO...the PROPER way to MERGE is PREPARE YOURSELF FOR THE LANE ENDING.

ME: i was prepared..i had plenty of room to safely merge and the guy to my lef.../

ASPD: APPARENTLY A VERBAL WARNING ISN'T ENOUGH FOR YOU...LICENSE AND REGISTRATION PLEASE.

ME: officer...i'm just trying to explain that what i did wasn't dangerous...that guy brake checked..../

ASPD: YOU CAN EXPLAIN IT TO THE JUDGE. LICENSE AND REGISTRATION PLEASE. I WILL NOT ASK AGAIN.

so i hand it all over and my mind was just like...reeling at how this dude was acting. seriously wouldn't let me get a word out, wouldn't even acknowledge the fact that the dude who sped around me was the one driving like a dangerous rear end in a top hat. i really hadn't broken any laws, spoke to him slowly and calmly the whole time. didn't do anything wrong in the situation. nothing.

*ASPD comes back to hand me my poo poo*

ME: officer, can i please have a second to explain what happened without being interrupted?

ASPD: you already told me what happened. you didn't feel like merging when you should have and decided you could just go around everyone else.

ME: *.....staring* that is NOT at all what i said or what happened. if you would just give me a second to tal.../

ASPD: IT'S RAINING OUTSIDE. I AM NOT INTERESTED IN STANDING AROUND IN THE RAIN LISTENING TO YOUR NONSENSE.

ME: ....you haven't let me get a word in! can i please just ask you a QUESTION?

ASPD: then it better be a question and not start with a statement!

ME: *pause...thinking how to word it* sir, do you think it's safer for that guy to brake check me in the rain than it is for me to merge safely at th.../

doesn't even let me finish. reaches in and drops my info and ticket in my lap, turns around and walks back to his car. and now i have a ticket for $136 that says "failure to yeild-left turn." you can't even turn left on the freeway idiot. :rant:

and the funny part is...the WSDOT has actually released articles asking people to let go of their egos and zipper merge as it's more effective for the loving horrific traffic we get around here. you'd think the state patrol would get the drat memo. http://kuow.org/post/how-merge-traffic-seattle-youre-not-going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Pretty easy ticket to beat. Too bad you didn't have a dashcam