Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iverron
May 13, 2012

nuru posted:

Anyone in serious progression knew it existed because for a long time a boss could do it too. Random things/people attacking from the front literally killing your tank. :suicide:

Wasn't it Huhuran that led to the discovery of boss parry haste or am I misremembering things 10 years on? I recall a blog post about it finally letting me convince some of our melee dps to quit loving standing in front of the bosses and killing the tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Belzac posted:

the MT gets a massive damage increase for tanking

they removed this in wod and replaced it with the completely anemic "resolve" that instead just increases self heals and self absorbs

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

sword_man.gif posted:

they removed this in wod and replaced it with the completely anemic "resolve" that instead just increases self heals and self absorbs

Oh, rip. I guess both the MT and OT just push buttons and wait for loot then.

nuru posted:

Anyone in serious progression knew it existed because for a long time a boss could do it too. Random things/people attacking from the front literally killing your tank. :suicide:

Yeah but after Brutallus they pretty much removed it from every boss. They hosed up and put it on Vezax and then took it off in a hotpatch later. I've never heard of it coming back up since then and that was many years ago.

Belzac fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 31, 2016

remeez
Jan 10, 2007

Why do people suck at Titan Ex

90 minutes of my life wasted

Whyyyyy

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

SonicRulez posted:

What's the best way to crank out the last few levels from 46 to 49? Forgive me, I know someone asked not long ago, but I can't seem to find it.

Leves in Mor Dhona are a great way to level from 44 to 50, as long as you have plenty, aren't planning on using them for crafting/gathering, and have a bored level 60 who will kill everything for you.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

remeez posted:

Whyyyyy

One person does the dance wrong (or never learned it to begin with) and it kills off everybody who isn't able to adapt. Lots of people who play this game are bad at adapting on short notice.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

remeez posted:

Whyyyyy

That fight is probably literally impossible right now for many comcast and verizon customers.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

dpsing as a white mage is really fun

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

voltcatfish posted:

dpsing as a white mage is really fun

The fun of white mage DPS is the reason I've grown to prefer it over scholar (which was my favorite healer before 3.0). But then, I think dots are boring and that's why I'm not a fan of summoner.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
My WHM's only at 50, what's the 60 DPS rotation? Aero II, Aero, Aero III, Stone III til refreshing DoTs, throw in an Assize if necessary?

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

My WHM's only at 50, what's the 60 DPS rotation? Aero II, Aero, Aero III, Stone III til refreshing DoTs, throw in an Assize if necessary?

I use Aero III, Aero II, Aero, Fluid Aura (If the enemy can't be pushed), Swiftcast + Holy, Assize, Stone III, Stone III, Stone III, etc.

I recast my DoTs as necessary then mostly spam Stone III.

Hommando fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jan 31, 2016

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Iverron posted:

Wasn't it Huhuran that led to the discovery of boss parry haste or am I misremembering things 10 years on? I recall a blog post about it finally letting me convince some of our melee dps to quit loving standing in front of the bosses and killing the tank.
The biggest problem with it was always bosses that would turn around to use stuff on random people. Boss turns around to do ability, ends up facing melee for a little bit, parries happen, MT suddenly takes a damage spike. It was real dumb.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Belzac posted:

Oh, rip. I guess both the MT and OT just push buttons and wait for loot then.

blizzard entertainment employs a very efficent fun police

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

It's more that the way tanking worked changed dramatically the last few expansions to the point where it didn't really make sense to have it anymore. It was put in to help the MT hold threat in raids, but then WoW tanking changed from entirely threat-based rotations to more active mitigation rotations (which is way better and FFXIV should consider ripping it off), so vengeance instead basically encouraged tanks not to do their rotation and ignore mechanics since hitting buttons would reduce damage taken in various ways. Vengeance was supposed to scale with mitigated damage as if it was unmitigated, but it never really worked out that way.

That said, since FFXIV still uses almost entirely threat-based tanking, vengeance could be a decent mechanic for them to implement.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
So, obscure question. I got an extra copy of FFXIV from the Square Holiday Surprise Box, and i was thinking of giving it to a friend who's interested in playing it. But i heard someone mention that the keys from that bundle were region-locked. Can anyone confirm/deny that?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I think the EU/US versions are locked for payment purposes. Like if you have the EU version of the game only EU timecards will work.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Digital_Jesus posted:

I think the EU/US versions are locked for payment purposes. Like if you have the EU version of the game only EU timecards will work.

I see, that kinda sucks, since my key is EU and my friend is in the US.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Does that matter if you're just paying with a credit card or is it timecard specific?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

That I have no clue, but your CC would probably be charged in euromoney so you'd have to make sure it can take an international charge.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I just started playing this game. I was impatient so I am not on Excalibur, but I intend on switching at some point.

Anyway, I am playing Lancer with intent on going Dragoon. Does anyone have any tips for a new Lancer? (I haven't had any issue so far or anything) Should I be using the thrust and vorpal for the combo, or just keep spamming the 180 power attack?

Finally, I did the referral thing before I selected a server and used a referral code from the thread but I haven't gotten any items or anything? Do I have to go somewhere special to grab them?

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
Basically you'll hit your damage increasing ability and then impulse drive over and over rinse repeat until you get your third attack in the rotation.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

jadebullet posted:

So I just started playing this game. I was impatient so I am not on Excalibur, but I intend on switching at some point.

Anyway, I am playing Lancer with intent on going Dragoon. Does anyone have any tips for a new Lancer? (I haven't had any issue so far or anything) Should I be using the thrust and vorpal for the combo, or just keep spamming the 180 power attack?

Finally, I did the referral thing before I selected a server and used a referral code from the thread but I haven't gotten any items or anything? Do I have to go somewhere special to grab them?

The referral items should be mailed to you as soon as you pay for your first months sub (free month with game doesn't count)

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

jadebullet posted:

For early dungeons, impulse drive spamming is the way to go until you get full thrust. Impulse drive becomes useful again at 26 when you get disembowel.

Dragoon is a priority based class. Think of it this way:

1. Is heavy thrust up? If not, finish your combo and get that next.
2. Is disembowel / chaos thrust up? If not (or is about to drop), start that combo next.
3. Is phlebotomize up? Put it up if 1 and 2 are up.

After that, you can do your basic combo which has the highest potency a couple of times, mixing in blood for blood, internal release (get puglist to 12 for this, seriously), and weaving your jumps in oGCD with power surge applied to Jump every minute. Make sure that when you're using life surge, it's applied while heavy thrust (and ideally B4B) is up to full thrust and your enemy has the disembowel debuff.

Once you hit mid-50s / 60, you'll get blood of the dragon which adds a finisher to each combo and access to a cool looking oGCD AoE as long as it stays up. Don't be a lovely dragoon and not use it like every one that I see in party finder.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So I finished the main story of FFVIX, now starting the endgame stuff.

Are there going to be any more lengthy cut-scenes in the middle of dungeons that frustrate people I'm with because I haven't seen them and they have, and they don't want to wait?

To be fair that last section had ridiculously long cut scenes that combined were practically longer than the actual dungeon, so I can't blame them.

In the end I watched the cut scenes while they went through the dungeon. By the time I would finish one cut-scene the next one would pretty much pop up. I think I just watched cut-scenes mostly during that final dungeon.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
So this might be a bit of a long shot, but does anyone have a leftover US FFXIV key from one of the bundles it was in, that they'd be willing to trade for an EU key?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

theblackw0lf posted:

So I finished the main story of FFVIX, now starting the endgame stuff.

Are there going to be any more lengthy cut-scenes in the middle of dungeons that frustrate people I'm with because I haven't seen them and they have, and they don't want to wait?

To be fair that last section had ridiculously long cut scenes that combined were practically longer than the actual dungeon, so I can't blame them.

In the end I watched the cut scenes while they went through the dungeon. By the time I would finish one cut-scene the next one would pretty much pop up. I think I just watched cut-scenes mostly during that final dungeon.

No, they learned from that. There are some cutscenes when you start a dungeon that are kinda long, but most of the story cutscenes are either outside of dungeons, right before the boss, or after you beat the boss.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

For the most part, story stuff from a dungeon is now given after you exit the instance. After Castrum Meridianum and Praetorium, they stopped throwing cutscenes every 5 feet.

The final story dungeon at level 60 has a very moderate chunk (maybe 2 or 3 minutes?) at the end, before the final bosses, but that's about it. And that one's not in a roulette so anyone there is deliberately queueing up for either a. completing it themselves or b. helping someone else complete it. So your odds of getting impatient assholes there are pretty low.

Now admittedly, doing Castrum/Praetorium at level, with a bunch of other people who were all watching the cutscenes for the first time themselves, was pretty awesome too. But it wears really thin really fast on repeats. I think mid-instance cutscenes work a lot better in the various solo instances than they do in group instances.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Vil posted:

For the most part, story stuff from a dungeon is now given after you exit the instance. After Castrum Meridianum and Praetorium, they stopped throwing cutscenes every 5 feet.

The final story dungeon at level 60 has a very moderate chunk (maybe 2 or 3 minutes?) at the end, before the final bosses, but that's about it. And that one's not in a roulette so anyone there is deliberately queueing up for either a. completing it themselves or b. helping someone else complete it. So your odds of getting impatient assholes there are pretty low.

Now admittedly, doing Castrum/Praetorium at level, with a bunch of other people who were all watching the cutscenes for the first time themselves, was pretty awesome too. But it wears really thin really fast on repeats. I think mid-instance cutscenes work a lot better in the various solo instances than they do in group instances.

Honestly what they should do is that if they're going to have a story focused instance, just make it solo. I mean in the story you're supposedly going solo anyway.

Thing is I don't want them sacrificing story either though. So it's a challenge how to balance that. I'll be curious to see how they did in the coming sections.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

There are a lot of solo story instances in the heavensward mainstory.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vil posted:

The cutscenes for that dungeon are replay able in the inn though. However the ones for the second to last trial are not, even though they're pretty important if you care about the story.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I really don't think the gimmicks in Crystal Tower require any prep, with the exception of one of the early fights in World of Darkness which is a little weird.

Then again, the Something Awful community on Excalibur found a way to wipe on Atomos in Crystal Tower, so what do I know? Apparently standing on a button is too complex for them.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK

Nipponophile posted:

I really don't think the gimmicks in Crystal Tower require any prep, with the exception of one of the early fights in World of Darkness which is a little weird.

Then again, the Something Awful community on Excalibur found a way to wipe on Atomos in Crystal Tower, so what do I know? Apparently standing on a button is too complex for them.

If there is one thing we know how to do, and do well, it's ignore mechanics :v:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of crystal tower, a lot of posts in the suggestion area on the ~official forums~ has been to make crystal tower content relevant again, or at the very least allow people to buy the CT gear in Mor Dhona for glamor purposes. I wonder if they'll pick up the idea.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
3.2 relic will require 800 runs of crystal tower, but won't have any alternatives.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nipponophile posted:

Ridiculous wipes is part of the crystal tower experience.

edit: they could make that old weekly give an unknown whatever

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Aero III, Assize, Holy, Holy, Holy, Holy, Holy, Holy, Holy, Benediction

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

seiferguy posted:

internal release (get puglist to 12 for this, seriously)

Thanks guys. A few quick questions. First off, what does oGCD mean?

Secondly, I am guessing that the quoted above means that you can still use class skills that aren't part of the Dragoon job requirement. In this case I guess I shouldn't just try and get to DGN as fast as possible, right? Are there any other class skills I should grab?

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
oGCD= off global cool down. Skills you can use in between waiting for a normal one to pop off.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

jadebullet posted:

Thanks guys. A few quick questions. First off, what does oGCD mean?

Secondly, I am guessing that the quoted above means that you can still use class skills that aren't part of the Dragoon job requirement. In this case I guess I shouldn't just try and get to DGN as fast as possible, right? Are there any other class skills I should grab?

oGCD means Off Global CoolDown. In other words, it's an ability you can use while you're waiting for your other abilities to become available. Jump is an oGCD ability for Dragoons, for example. You can use Jump immediately after using something like Heavy Thrust, and you won't have to wait for the GCD to use it, nor will it delay your use of any GCD abilities further. It's a way to get an extra attack in between cooldowns. A lot of buffs are oGCD as well.

DRG cross-class skills come from MRD and PGL, and you need 15 levels of MRD to get DRG, so you'll get a couple of CC skills that way. Internal Release is a PGL skill at level 12 that you can use to give yourself a 10% boost to your critical hit rate for 15 seconds. It has a 1 minute cooldown, so you can use it pretty much every fight, and more than once on longer boss battles. I also use Second Wind (PGL level 8) for solo purposes, because it's a handy self-heal, and Bloodbath (MRD level 8) for the same reason. You could also use Featherfoot (PGL level 4) for the evasion bonus or Foresight (MRD level 2) for the defense bonus. Those particular skills don't come into play MUCH when you're in a group, because as DPS you're not supposed to get hit, but they're helpful in a pinch.

Internal Release is key, though. Really handy skill and easy to get. You can get to 12 PGL in the space of an hour or two with the armory bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Ooooh, that feeling when taking first place away from some jabroni at the last second in the chocobo races is so satisfying. Gonna camp out in the saucer until it's breeding time, I think.

• Locked thread