Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

vOv posted:

Wait, are you talking about the 2.0 relic? Because you really shouldn't do that, it's not worth it.

Oh? But the moon staff looks cool...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Then it's worth it.

Seriously don't let people tell you not to do it if you want an item, even if it is just for glamour. It's only Not Worth It if your only goal for getting a Relic or Zeta is doing it as a precursor for the Anima Weapons.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Wait, is this the Lunaris Rod? Because that's the new relic and you should totally do that if you want (though I have no clue why you'd be doing hard primals). The Stardust Rod is the old one.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

vOv posted:

Wait, are you talking about the 2.0 relic? Because you really shouldn't do that, it's not worth it.

Stage 1 is relatively easy if you just want to be able to glamour it, though.

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun

ilifinicus posted:

^^^^ That is indeed jeans with the FFXIV logo on them. I believe they sell these in Japan at events

My favourite part of the live letter is the part where yoshida talks about materia and introduces the raid gear meld slots and immediately goes "I KNOW WHATCHU THINKING, THAT poo poo IS EXPENSIVE, DOG, but I have you covered in these new an amazing ways I will not talk about that give you access to materia more easily. please look forward to it"

It's called The Diadem and it's gonna be super great now guys just you wait and see!

...guys?

:smith:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

vOv posted:

Wait, is this the Lunaris Rod? Because that's the new relic and you should totally do that if you want (though I have no clue why you'd be doing hard primals). The Stardust Rod is the old one.

Oooh, OK. My bad for the confusion. I want to at least be able to glamor the 2.0 one, it's just the quest hasn't appeared even after 2.0 and class quests are done.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You don't have to do the hard mode Primals for the quest to appear. Are you sure you're looking in the right place? It starts in Vesper Bay.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I did the diadem last night with a pf group. When we got in there were four other groups in hardmode. We farmed IVs and Vs on dino island pretty well. A caster chest with 80 someodd crit and spellspeed. I ended up with 34 spoils after trade in and still got a couple pterodactyls before we were done. An actual geared 24 person alliance can reliably farm hard mode.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Aphrodite posted:

Stage 1 is relatively easy if you just want to be able to glamour it, though.

Ah, yeah, if you're fine with the Zenith(?) glamor then go ahead.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Zenith is stage 2 I think, but it's also extremely easy since that's the one where you just need to spend a few poetics.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

vOv posted:

Ah, yeah, if you're fine with the Zenith(?) glamor then go ahead.

Even Zeta isn't a monumental task anymore. Light farming would be the most time consuming step. With the reduced cost and increased yield of alexandrite maps, that isn't a huge issue if you're not in a rush to get your glamour weapon. Just junkbond a bunch of lovely tier 1/2 materia to fill out the 75 requirement.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 31, 2016

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Skaw posted:

Even Zeta isn't a monumental task anymore. Light farming would be the most time consuming step. With the reduced cost and increased yield of alexandrite maps, that isn't a huge issue if you're not in a rush to get your glamour weapon. Just junkbond a bunch of lovely tier 1/2 materia to fill out the 75 requirement.

The books are probably the worst now due to the FATE requirements and all the other crap. You could pretty easily cover the light grind with a pal in unsynched Sastasha or Deepcroft in 2-3 hours total.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Skaw posted:

The books by far take the longest because they haven't been nerfed.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Aphrodite posted:

You don't have to do the hard mode Primals for the quest to appear. Are you sure you're looking in the right place? It starts in Vesper Bay.

Yeah it's not there. This says I need access to some things before I can do it.

http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Relic_Weapons/Quest

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

Mr. Leonheart posted:

It's called The Diadem and it's gonna be super great now guys just you wait and see!

...guys?

:smith:

My favourite part of the live letter is where they changed some minor balance bs with the diadem and didn't address that it is unfun trash at all, and now we will farm it for our melds.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Yeah it's not there. This says I need access to some things before I can do it.

http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Relic_Weapons/Quest

That's just stuff you need to finish it. I didn't have Keep or hard primal access, and mine was there to start.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

The books by far take the longest because they haven't been nerfed.

Oh I thought the total enemies required part got knocked down. Welp.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Skaw posted:

Oh I thought the total enemies required part got knocked down. Welp.

They have, it's only three of each enemy or something now. The FATES spawn faster than they did..but you can still be waiting a long while.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
The real timesink with the books is the fact you still only can do 1 at a time, so while yeah you only need to kill 3 dudes in the sylphlands, you still need to take 9 separate trips out there and etc. If you could work on all 9 books at once it'd go by much quicker.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Skaw posted:

The VIT changes are nice and all, but the substat itemization on tank right side is still going to be trash. Parry really needs to be a rating value that solely exists on absolutely nothing, like Block is on underpants. There isn't really a reason for it to exist on armor and accessories other than to waste the stat slot.

edit: at least this change also coincides with a new crafted accessories tier. Tank Pentameld Train doesn't stop. Diadem gonna see plenty of materia farms.

ftfy

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They could do something cool like having a parry trigger a 50 potency counter attack so that it can actually be a useful damage stat, but I doubt they're going to be changing secondary stats any time soon. Maybe in 4.0 they'll change things up. They're going to need to because holy poo poo stats in this game are boring.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Aphrodite posted:

That's just stuff you need to finish it. I didn't have Keep or hard primal access, and mine was there to start.

Huh, I did my blm lvl 50 before killing ultima weapon, so Im not sure why the quest isn't there.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
To me the issue isn't that gear has parry stats, the issue is that parry itself is a bad stat. Fix that.

With raid gear having materia slots, I'm curious what optimal gear will be. For healing, my initial thought is accuracy, since very little level 60 gear has it (and nothing annoys me more than seeing broil miss), but from a pure heals standpoint DET or SS would probably be better.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

ilifinicus posted:

here's the fan response to this Producer Letter Live

pictured: Yoshi-P and Fan Girl A

:allears: I don't care if it's staged, that's glorious.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Skaw posted:

The amount of tug noises isn't a super reliable cue for people who aren't too familiar with fishing. There are definitely two different sounds for small fish that have both one and two tugging sounds that don't have any correlation to the fish itself(Tiny Axolotl's will cause both.) You just have to go by the intensity of the sound itself. Eventually you'll learn them. Another tip is that fish bite at certain intervals after casting. The minimum is 10 seconds, up to a maximum of 30. After which you'll automatically end the cast without a bite if there isn't anything compatible with your bait. The same fish will always bite at the same intervals, usually smaller fish early and larger fish later, with Big Fish being at the end of the time frame. Set up a casting macro that uses /echo and /wait to read off a countdown after every 5 seconds, starting at 10 seconds after casting. Some fish will bite on two intervals, like the 15 second and the 20 second. You can even add in what fish bite and when to the echo(/echo 20 sec. - Thunderbolt Eel) if you're looking for something specific once you find out when they bite, so you can just ride it out until it gets away if you know it's not something you want.

An example is for Thaliak Caiman. Middle Thaliak River, Bullfrogs bite at 10 seconds and 15 seconds, Sweetfish bite at 15 seconds and 20 seconds. Caimans themselves while mooching, on top of the super noticable cracking rod sound, bite at 25 seconds. Theres a bit of variance due to server ticks and any latency you have, but it's a pretty accurate and reliable way to get specific fish.

Wow. I'm a huge fishing sperg in this game.

Thanks for this!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Skaw posted:

The amount of tug noises isn't a super reliable cue for people who aren't too familiar with fishing. There are definitely two different sounds for small fish that have both one and two tugging sounds that don't have any correlation to the fish itself(Tiny Axolotl's will cause both.) You just have to go by the intensity of the sound itself. Eventually you'll learn them. Another tip is that fish bite at certain intervals after casting. The minimum is 10 seconds, up to a maximum of 30. After which you'll automatically end the cast without a bite if there isn't anything compatible with your bait. The same fish will always bite at the same intervals, usually smaller fish early and larger fish later, with Big Fish being at the end of the time frame. Set up a casting macro that uses /echo and /wait to read off a countdown after every 5 seconds, starting at 10 seconds after casting. Some fish will bite on two intervals, like the 15 second and the 20 second. You can even add in what fish bite and when to the echo(/echo 20 sec. - Thunderbolt Eel) if you're looking for something specific once you find out when they bite, so you can just ride it out until it gets away if you know it's not something you want.

An example is for Thaliak Caiman. Middle Thaliak River, Bullfrogs bite at 10 seconds and 15 seconds, Sweetfish bite at 15 seconds and 20 seconds. Caimans themselves while mooching, on top of the super noticable cracking rod sound, bite at 25 seconds. Theres a bit of variance due to server ticks and any latency you have, but it's a pretty accurate and reliable way to get specific fish.

Wow. I'm a huge fishing sperg in this game.

Holy poo poo, I actually understand fishing in this game now. Thank you for this.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

seiferguy posted:

To me the issue isn't that gear has parry stats, the issue is that parry itself is a bad stat. Fix that.

It's a little bit of both, honestly. I still think it should just be on the weapon itself, right there with Weapon Damage, Auto Attack, and Delay. Just be an inherent weapon stat that scales upwards with ilvl that all classes can gain some benefit from to a degree.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Thanks for this!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Holy poo poo, I actually understand fishing in this game now. Thank you for this.

You're welcome :) I was at work while I made that post so I was a bit incorrect on times. Regardless, here's what my Cast macro currently looks like.

code:
/macroicon Cast
/ac "Cast"
/ac "Hook"
/wait 10
/echo 10 seconds [Pira, Frog, Shrimp, Sweet, Axolotl]
/wait 5
/echo 15 seconds [Pira, Sweet, Axolotl]
/wait 5
/echo 20 seconds [Eel]
/wait 5
/echo 25 seconds [Eel]
/wait 5
/echo 30 seconds
Just have that set to one of my side mouse buttons, along with both of the hooksets for Patience. Have a macro for Mooch that has the same setup.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 31, 2016

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Skaw posted:

It's a little bit of both, honestly. I still think it should just be on the weapon itself, right there with Weapon Damage, Auto Attack, and Delay. Just be an inherent weapon stat that scales upwards with ilvl that all classes can gain some benefit from to a degree.

You're welcome :) I was at work while I made that post so I was a bit incorrect on times. Regardless, here's what my Cast macro currently looks like.

code:
/macroicon Cast
/ac "Cast"
/ac "Hook"
/wait 10
/echo 10 seconds [Pira, Frog, Shrimp, Sweet, Axolotl]
/wait 5
/echo 15 seconds [Pira, Sweet, Axolotl]
/wait 5
/echo 20 seconds [Eel]
/wait 5
/echo 25 seconds [Eel]
/wait 5
/echo 30 seconds
Just have that set to one of my side mouse buttons, along with both of the hooksets for Patience. Have a macro for Mooch that has the same setup.
Welp, scrip fishing just got a whole lot easier

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Finally reading through the translation of the live letter, no wonder why this thread blew up overnight.

I sincerely hope that one of the AST changes is that you can shunt your Held card into Royal Road if you don't have a card drawn.

Skaw posted:

Isn't that Determination's job?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 31, 2016

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Welp, scrip fishing just got a whole lot easier

Yeah I kinda wish I figured this out while I was gearing up my Fisher. I just randomly decided to start experimenting with the intervals while catching Pipira Pira for money one day about a month ago, and then figured out it's roughly 5 seconds between potential bites. It's still nice cause I really enjoy using Fisher to gear up my Botanist and Miner, while using the Adamantite Ore to sell instead of turning in, and having that instant reminder that Thunderbolt Eels and Axolotls are possibly biting now is a nice thing to have on hand.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Does that mean eels will always bite twice, or that they can bite at either window? If you don't reel in the lure because it's the wrong type of fish you're going to sometimes just lose your bladed / goblin jig, right?

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

seiferguy posted:

It's going to be a hard thing to fix. The problem is that no matter what you do, it's going to be hard to justify equipping parry. Even if you assume that it made you counterattack and suddenly worked on magic-based attacks, it's still doing nothing for you if you're not actually tanking something. It should really just be removed, and parry made a fixed percentage thing, and some other stat put in its place that is actually interesting. I feel like this is one of the areas where FFXIV should've looked a bit harder at the trajectory WoW has taken. They had RNG defense stats and accuracy for a long time, then one day went "you know what this stuff isn't actually fun" and took them out.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
In WoW if you parry an attack the timer on your next auto-attack is reset so you immediately auto-attack. It's called parry haste and barely anyone in the game knows it exists.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

nuru posted:

Does that mean eels will always bite twice, or that they can bite at either window? If you don't reel in the lure because it's the wrong type of fish you're going to sometimes just lose your bladed / goblin jig, right?

It means they bite at either of those intervals. If it doesn't bite at 20 seconds, it'll bite at 25. If you ride out any bite to just let it go, you need to recast. And yeah, if you don't reel in a lure, theres a chance of losing it. But theres also the inherent chance of losing it anyway when using Patience and not using either of the Hooksets, whether by choice or lack of GP. I still find it worth using Steel Bladed Jigs for straight catching Thunderbolt Eels, just cause if you can gather the Cloud Mica and Adamantite, they're basically free. Just have a friend make up a huge batch of them at once. You save on GP using them for Eels, with only a slight chance of hooking a Dragonhead at the 20 second interval. I've never had 25 seconds NOT be an Eel if thats when it bites. From my experience, when their window is up, they're pretty common. Most of your casts with Jigs during that time period should be eels. They're only really superseded by Pipira Pira in chance to catch during their weathers.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 31, 2016

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Belzac posted:

In WoW if you parry an attack the timer on your next auto-attack is reset so you immediately auto-attack. It's called parry haste and barely anyone in the game knows it exists.

And that'd be cool. Except the stat is dead weight on off tanks. (Though I suppose that isn't that bad necessarily)

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

hobbesmaster posted:

And that'd be cool. Except the stat is dead weight on off tanks. (Though I suppose that isn't that bad necessarily)

Soak cleaves to increase your dps! No one cares about OT dps in WoW because of how their tanking system works the MT gets a massive damage increase for tanking and the OT sits there waiting for their one mechanic to happen.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Belzac posted:

Anyone in serious progression knew it existed because for a long time a boss could do it too. Random things/people attacking from the front literally killing your tank. :suicide:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Here we see the mothership dispersing catgirls to aid in the conquest:

YoshiP learns that Koji has been inserting terrible awesome puns into the quests and FATES.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
What's the best way to crank out the last few levels from 46 to 49? Forgive me, I know someone asked not long ago, but I can't seem to find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

SonicRulez posted:

What's the best way to crank out the last few levels from 46 to 49? Forgive me, I know someone asked not long ago, but I can't seem to find it.

Northern Thanalan FATEs. Aurum Vale from 47 with a good group.

• Locked thread