Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

In a thread made for pictures
Good content is fleeting
More often than not it's just

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

And since Firefox crashes every time I try to look at the GIF thread I'll ask here, does anyone have a backstory on

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!

Elohssa Gib posted:

And since Firefox crashes every time I try to look at the GIF thread I'll ask here, does anyone have a backstory on

it's a fabric made of scales that have a matte finish on one side and a glossy metallic finish on the other.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Melaneus posted:

I seriously get to the violets are blue part and think "violets are blue? There's an entirely different color on the spectrum we've named after that flower, did some color-blind guy write this poem?"

It's like saying oranges are yellow.

Violets can actually be a wide range of colours.

This picture isn't funny. I'm sorry.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ohhhhh-AAHH!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh gently caress you with a rake this is one of my least favorite earworms.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's from the 18th century or some poo poo. Maybe people didn't distinguish between blue and violet back then. I mean the Japanese seem to think green and blue are shades of the same colour and only have one word for both and the ancient Greeks thought the sky was bronze* so it's possible.

*although I hear they tended to describe colour more by their tone then the hue.

There was an interesting segment on NPR that postulated that humans need to be taught colors, not how to see them but how to conceptualize and articulate them. For a very long time this was almost impossible and it wasn't until we could reliably replicate a color, through use of dyes or even metallurgy, that we named and categorized it.

Although by the time of the 18th century we had definitely figured out purple, you are correct that there was a time when people wouldn't have recognized it.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

mind the walrus posted:

Oh gently caress you with a rake this is one of my least favorite earworms.

I work at an arena, and they play it pre-game at the exact same time every game. "Oh, it's 5:50? It must be time for- Yup. There it is." They couldn't even shuffle the playlist or wait until enough people are there to drown it out.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Who What Now posted:

There was an interesting segment on NPR that postulated that humans need to be taught colors, not how to see them but how to conceptualize and articulate them. For a very long time this was almost impossible and it wasn't until we could reliably replicate a color, through use of dyes or even metallurgy, that we named and categorized it.

Although by the time of the 18th century we had definitely figured out purple, you are correct that there was a time when people wouldn't have recognized it.

Orange didn't appear as a color until about the 17th century, as I recall. What we would call orange would be called red prior to that. "Robin red-breast" was a common name, but a robin's breast is orange. People have red hair, even though it's clearly orange, since the name preceded the identification of the color.

It was when the fruit began arriving in England (called an orange as a corruption of various Asian names meaning roughly "Chinese apple"), the color began to be named based on the fruit. "The color of an orange" eventually became just orange as a separate color from red. Similarly "lemon" as a shade of light yellow was derived from the name of the fruit. The fruit was not named because it was the color "lemon" - it was the other way around.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
There was a documentary about a study done with a remote tribe of people I remember but can't seem to find. The researchers showed them a bunch of colored circles where one of them was clearly green and the others blue and asked them to point to the one circle that was different, and they couldn't figure it out. Then they did the same thing with a different color, where one circle was just a slightly different shade of the same color as the rest of the circles (maybe brown? or red? can't remember). Every person immediately pointed to the different circle. The difference was that, in their language, they had words distinguishing the latter pair of colors, but not the former. So not only is our language about colors affected by our surroundings, but our actual perception of color is affected by our language, too.

On the "orange-red" thing mentioned above, I ran into the same thing learning Japanese. "Green" is a relatively new concept, so in Japan they have "blue apples", "blue vegetables" (lettuce, etc), and the "blue" light on the traffic sign means "go". Apparently, the only major colors up until a hundred or so years ago were red, blue, white and black, maybe purple (if you're a language buff, the way to tell is that there are simple words for those five colors, where all other colors are described as "_____-color", like "tea-color" for "brown" or "orange-color" for "orange").

Mezzanine has a new favorite as of 08:04 on Jan 31, 2016

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

We've talked about it a bunch in the Ancient History thread too; Homer calls the sky "bronze", and the sea the color of wine. Color is very cultural.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

We've talked about it a bunch in the Ancient History thread too; Homer calls the sky "bronze", and the sea the color of wine. Color is very cultural.

Do they specify time of day or weather conditions.

We've probably all seen yellow skies and red moons. Green water and pink sunsets aren't exactly uncommon. Maybe they were trying to describe what they saw as the rare essence of the thing.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Homer was blind though, maybe not the best judge of colors.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

PittTheElder posted:

It's pretty much what happens at sunset?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

lol I just can't get enough of these funny pictures

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

NotAnArtist posted:

Good content is fleeting

I appreciate this a lot. Thank you.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

It's pretty much what happens at sunset?

As if goons could conceptualize what a sunset is.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Dungeon Ecology posted:

lol I just can't get enough of these funny pictures

Yeah like that one you posted, that was tops.

Memento has a new favorite as of 09:22 on Jan 31, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

They simply won't let it go, will they?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

That's a pretty specific subgenre.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Screaming Idiot posted:

They simply won't let it go, will they?

Xand_Man posted:

That's a pretty specific subgenre.

From the weird fan art thread, this was posted like 20 times in the first hundred pages but I couldn't find it when I needed it. Gave up and just googled it first result here you go.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I've seen people absolutely lose their poo poo over that song because, obviously, it's about a lesbian coming out to her family. :psyduck:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Innuendo is a von Neumann machine let loose to consume all communication.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
In.. my endo?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Duckling means chicken means cock means penis means that that witch singing about witching now means penis.

That's some mean penis.

Karate Bastard has a new favorite as of 14:14 on Jan 31, 2016

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Krinkle posted:

From the weird fan art thread, this was posted like 20 times in the first hundred pages but I couldn't find it when I needed it. Gave up and just googled it first result here you go.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

NotAnArtist posted:

Good content is fleeting

Burma Shave

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Mezzanine posted:

On the "orange-red" thing mentioned above, I ran into the same thing learning Japanese. "Green" is a relatively new concept, so in Japan they have "blue apples", "blue vegetables" (lettuce, etc), and the "blue" light on the traffic sign means "go". Apparently, the only major colors up until a hundred or so years ago were red, blue, white and black, maybe purple (if you're a language buff, the way to tell is that there are simple words for those five colors, where all other colors are described as "_____-color", like "tea-color" for "brown" or "orange-color" for "orange").

A side effect I've noticed is that Japanese people learning colours in English tend to be really specific about defining something as "light blue" vs "blue".

poptart_fairy posted:

I've seen people absolutely lose their poo poo over that song because, obviously, it's about a lesbian coming out to her family. :psyduck:

It may not specifically be meant to be about that, but it's a pretty obvious interpretation.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

I've never seen this movie, never even heard any songs from it; but I did see the short attached to Cinderella and yeah the fans have this one right, they are obviously loving.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Mezzanine posted:

There was a documentary about a study done with a remote tribe of people I remember but can't seem to find. The researchers showed them a bunch of colored circles where one of them was clearly green and the others blue and asked them to point to the one circle that was different, and they couldn't figure it out. Then they did the same thing with a different color, where one circle was just a slightly different shade of the same color as the rest of the circles (maybe brown? or red? can't remember). Every person immediately pointed to the different circle. The difference was that, in their language, they had words distinguishing the latter pair of colors, but not the former. So not only is our language about colors affected by our surroundings, but our actual perception of color is affected by our language, too.

There's a article I read recently that has a similar subject, I'm betting that this article is drawing from the same source as the documentary you're talking about. http://www.businessinsider.com/what-is-blue-and-how-do-we-see-color-2015-2

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mulva posted:

I've never seen this movie, never even heard any songs from it; but I did see the short attached to Cinderella and yeah the fans have this one right, they are obviously loving.

Nah!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Please don't ship underage CGI sisters in this, the "funny pictures" thread, or elsewhere, ever

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Where the hell would you get purple eyeshadow in the middle of a frozen medieval tundra?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

arctic plums.

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.

They're doin' that eyebrow thing. Why does every CG character gotta do that eyebrow thing?

WarpedNaba posted:

Where the hell would you get blue eyeshadow in the middle of a frozen medieval tundra?

Early onset of frostbite?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Melaneus posted:

Early onset of frostbite?

wait, you edited the post you quoted, in a way that doesn't match the image, to make this joke?

if you're gonna do that the joke has to be a loving banger, this is...

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

wait, you edited the post you quoted, in a way that doesn't match the image, to make this joke?

if you're gonna do that the joke has to be a loving banger, this is...

The optimist in me wants to believe it's a throwback to the earlier color discussion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Viscous Soda posted:

There's a article I read recently that has a similar subject, I'm betting that this article is drawing from the same source as the documentary you're talking about. http://www.businessinsider.com/what-is-blue-and-how-do-we-see-color-2015-2

Awesome, that's it! Weird, I remembered it as being circles, not squares. Huh.

• Locked thread