Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Both edition's rituals are an acknowledgement of some spells being not combat-useful enough that they don't want the spellcaster to have to reserve spell slots for them, which is a totally acceptable stance to take in a vacuum, but without the rest of 4e's class and ability design it's just more wizard power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Yeah, but 4e's gold-per-level was tight enough that spending any real amount on rituals instead of magic items would weaken you in future combats too. It's just a much more opaque kind of weakened compared to a healing surge.

In any case, it's a shame that 5e's rituals are just a way to give spellcasters more out-of-combat versatility instead of something that improved on the 4e system. It deserved a better implementation than it ever got.

yeah but inherent bonuses give a lot more leeway on gold than normal

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dirk the Average posted:

Would also be cool to add in some non-magical rituals, like better skill uses, feats of strength, etc. tied to the same resource system.
Martial Power 2 added "martial practices" as non-magic rituals. They run off of surges and are generally a lot less interesting than rituals.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I can release Homebrew Rituals, or an alternative ritual system to give magic back to everyone for 5e yeah?

Do I have to have a final version, or can I keep updating as I go along?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Dirk the Average posted:

The two big problems with it were the gold cost (which made it prohibitive to use early and pointlessly inexpensive late), and that non-casters had to burn a feat to access it. I'm not sure how much I like it running off of healing surges, though I struggle to think of a good non-combat resource to tie them to. Would also be cool to add in some non-magical rituals, like better skill uses, feats of strength, etc. tied to the same resource system.

They made some martial versions of rituals that ran off surges. As I recall not many of them are very good, but it's a thing that happened. It's difficult to actually even find these, though.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

When I ran 4e I just gave everyone ritual caster for free and let everybody reflavor the rituals so they made sense for their class.

I also gave the party an extra gold pool that could only be used for rituals to encourage their use. Otherwise they would have never used them since players tend to be really stingy with non-permanent gold sinks.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
I like the renewable resource pool as well, and also let them use it to make consumables such as potions and magic ammo and stuff like that. If they made an item from it, it doesn't get refunded until they use the item or disenchant it and put it back in the pool. Consumables have no business being linked to a fixed wealth-by-level.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Elfgames posted:

yeah but inherent bonuses give a lot more leeway on gold than normal

Actually yeah this is on-point. Enhancement bonuses will let you have some +1's earlier than when you'd get them from inherents, but looking at the math, as long as you also have the feat taxes taken care of you technically don't need the magic items to stay on-par with monster stats.

Andrast posted:

When I ran 4e I just gave everyone ritual caster for free and let everybody reflavor the rituals so they made sense for their class.

I also gave the party an extra gold pool that could only be used for rituals to encourage their use. Otherwise they would have never used them since players tend to be really stingy with non-permanent gold sinks.

This is also a good idea. More games (I can think of two off-hand) should formalize some amount of consumables as the loot.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

gradenko_2000 posted:

Actually yeah this is on-point. Enhancement bonuses will let you have some +1's earlier than when you'd get them from inherents, but looking at the math, as long as you also have the feat taxes taken care of you technically don't need the magic items to stay on-par with monster stats.

This is also a good idea. More games (I can think of two off-hand) should formalize some amount of consumables as the loot.

13th Age and Numenera, and I guess other cypher-system games by extension?
Any others?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Andrast posted:

Maybe a low grade 'works on rituals only' version of Residuum? 4th in general, Residuum was nice for your magic Item budget in general, if you remember it's the most expensive fine powder in existence on top of being a universal spell component.

"You ever see an inn keeper try to make change for Residuum? Do you even WANT to give them the chance, when several thousand gold worth will accidentally end up under their finger nails?"

I think per weight it's the same value as Astral Diamonds. weight/mass of one coin = 10,000 Gold, 1 pound/belt pouch =500k.

Obviously RAW, residuum is just another currency that doubles as a component. But when breathing too heavily will scatter thousands of gold, it's a good justification for "Why this is only used for magical poo poo and not because you feel like buying a yacht".

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 1, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

bewilderment posted:

13th Age and Numenera, and I guess other cypher-system games by extension?
Any others?

The treasure generation tables in Hackmaster are configured such that roughly half of all your loot is going to be the single-use/consumable kind, and the game goes on to say that this is entirely deliberate.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Section Z posted:

Maybe a low grade 'works on rituals only' version of Residuum? 4th in general, Residuum was nice for your magic Item budget in general, if you remember it's the most expensive fine powder in existence on top of being a universal spell component.

"You ever see an inn keeper try to make change for Residuum? Do you even WANT to give them the chance, when several thousand gold worth will accidentally end up under their finger nails?"

I think per weight it's the same value as Astral Diamonds. weight/mass of one coin = 10,000 Gold, 1 pound/belt pouch =500k.

Obviously RAW, residuum is just another currency that doubles as a component. But when breathing too heavily will scatter thousands of gold, it's a good justification for "Why this is only used for magical poo poo and not because you feel like buying a yacht".

also it's mostly made by grinding down priceless magical treasures

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Section Z posted:

Gold-pressed latinumresiduum.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

gradenko_2000 posted:

3e had a table for consumables each level, IIRC.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
In something rather cool. Some people may know that a chapter was cut from Rise of Tiamat with art and maps still having been done for it. The DMguild just released the cut chapter involving the giants and the crashed flying castle.

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/172527/Frozen-Castle--Expanding-Tyranny-of-Dragons

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.

MonsterEnvy posted:

In something rather cool. Some people may know that a chapter was cut from Rise of Tiamat with art and maps still having been done for it. The DMguild just released the cut chapter involving the giants and the crashed flying castle.

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/172527/Frozen-Castle--Expanding-Tyranny-of-Dragons

Am I a terrible person because I don't want to pay for this? I bought both books in the Tyranny of dragons line and DMed it - I have no idea why they cut this content but the books themselves were pretty expensive anyway. I'm in mainland Europe so this poo poo is more expensive for us.

EDIT: Rise of Tiamat is on amazon.com for $18.81 (which is 17,33 Euro), and it's priced for 27,10 Euro (which is $29.40) on amazon.de and at my local games store.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

DLC for a D&D adventure, hooray!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Roadie posted:

Gold-pressed latinumresiduum.

This is literally what I did in my last 4e campaign.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

AlphaDog posted:

Funny thing, 3.5 had web enhancements for books and adventures too, the stuff that wasn't quite polished or playtested enough to make it into the final product, or stuff that they came up with after it went to press.

But they never had the gall to actually charge people for it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The fact that they're charging for it AND it was a really jarring cut (as written, you crash the flying castle then a talking bird tells you you're in the wrong city and teleports you there instantly with no fanfare) is just insane.

Anyways, I need to thank the thread - sometimes I get sort of paranoid that I'm a lovely DM and my players are just pretending to like the game, then I read about assgoblin DMs that actively work to limit sweet flavor powers like permanent Comprehend Languages and feel a lot better.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
New psionics rules are up.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

AlphaDog posted:

I guess we know what ideas WotC has chosen to take from video games this time!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Ryoshi posted:

The fact that they're charging for it AND it was a really jarring cut (as written, you crash the flying castle then a talking bird tells you you're in the wrong city and teleports you there instantly with no fanfare) is just insane.

Anyways, I need to thank the thread - sometimes I get sort of paranoid that I'm a lovely DM and my players are just pretending to like the game, then I read about assgoblin DMs that actively work to limit sweet flavor powers like permanent Comprehend Languages and feel a lot better.

Our game ground to a halt somewhere around the castle so I didn't know that's what happened. That's completely mental.
Also talking birds are gold dragons in the service of Bahamut so a gold dragon just ferried the party around without stopping to help

Still only 2 orders, they still require you to choose between "doing damage" and "having a neat fun extra thing", and they appear to have stolen Paizo's Kineticist's burn mechanic without actually adding the thing that makes burn not the absolute worst decision every time.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Am I reading this wrong or does the Immortal get the ability to give up any focus benefits for the rest of the day just to halve the damage from one attack?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Caphi posted:

Am I reading this wrong or does the Immortal get the ability to give up any focus benefits for the rest of the day just to halve the damage from one attack?

It's short or long rest. It's also the Immortal class so what you're giving up is "+1 AC or +1 to hit and damage"

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Oh, "long rest" is right on the line break.

The single thing that makes me maddest about 5e is that they write "you regain your uses of this ability after completing a (short or) long rest" every single time instead of just writing "3/day."

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Or, you know, using a keyword, like $ability (short rest) description of ability.

There's a shitton of needless cruft and lack of clarity in the name of natural language, and repeating the various phrases which could be defined with keywords endlessly is just annoying.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Caphi posted:

Oh, "long rest" is right on the line break.

The single thing that makes me maddest about 5e is that they write "you regain your uses of this ability after completing a (short or) long rest" every single time instead of just writing "3/day."

Again, the problem is that they kept 4e's "once per encounter" Mechanic but wanted to keep the veneer of it not being a "combat focused" game like 4e was. So now it requires an hour long short rest and fighters are suddenly a lot worse.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
By the way, does anyone have a link to whatever post where Mearls explained the change to rest length? I want to be able to cite it. I'll search it up sometime if not, but if someone's got it saved, that'd be awesome.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
What is a good rule of thumb for a group skill check? I'm running a module where I expect the group to attempt to stealth as much as they can. So I need to have a way to determine their success as a group against the monsters passive and active perception rolls.

I've seen Matt Mercer do group stealth checks and have some people roll low but the rest of the group is able to carry them. Unfortunately I don't think he ever explained the mechanic in game while it happened. Is anyone familiar with that method?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The simplest way would probably be "if a majority of PCs succeed, then the group passes the check."

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Really Pants posted:

The simplest way would probably be "if a majority of PCs succeed, then the group passes the check."

That's the way my AL group does it, speeds things up and the paladin doesn't gently caress up every chance we have for a surprise round.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
If you do a group check like that, it's also nice to toss a small reward to the PCs that succeed, like some kind of bonus in the first round. It helps those players feel like they're individually useful, instead of just a number cog in the party machine.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Trast posted:

What is a good rule of thumb for a group skill check? I'm running a module where I expect the group to attempt to stealth as much as they can. So I need to have a way to determine their success as a group against the monsters passive and active perception rolls.

I've seen Matt Mercer do group stealth checks and have some people roll low but the rest of the group is able to carry them. Unfortunately I don't think he ever explained the mechanic in game while it happened. Is anyone familiar with that method?

Let the player with the highest stealth skill make a check to determine group stealth. If they succeed they can pick out hiding places/approach paths for everyone. Roll stealth individually only to determine who acts in surprise rounds. You only need one character to succeed at lockpicking, knowledge checks, and other skill check plot doors; stealth as infiltration might as well work the same way.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What they said. Either put it all on the shoulders of a single party representative, or have everyone roll and the party passes if at least half of them do.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

TheBlandName posted:

Let the player with the highest stealth skill make a check to determine group stealth. If they succeed they can pick out hiding places/approach paths for everyone. Roll stealth individually only to determine who acts in surprise rounds. You only need one character to succeed at lockpicking, knowledge checks, and other skill check plot doors; stealth as infiltration might as well work the same way.

This is a good way to do it, but the bolded part won't work in 5th ed.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Oh right. Good catch.

For 5E specifically, if I'm correctly remembering that it's the edition that formalized group checks, I would call plot-based stealth checks for the stealthiest member of the party. Failure on these doesn't mean detection but instead means the player discovers the location is too well guarded to sneak in without a distraction of some kind. Then for combat I would call a group stealth check to determine surprise. That should result in a skill that works the same as knowledge type skills for plot (success = proceed, failure = try something else) but still works as designed and intended for combat balance.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

TheBlandName posted:

This is how we've always done it. Yes it's not "realistic" to have the heavily armored knight clanking around alongside the thief but it's more fun. I guess if you really had to you could apply the fighter's penalties to the theif's roll.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

AlphaDog posted:

This is a good way to do it, but the bolded part won't work in 5th ed.

How come?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mendrian posted:

I guess if you really had to you could apply the fighter's penalties to the theif's roll.

This is not going to work well with 5e's skill system and "armor check penalty", because the Rogue isn't so much better than the Fighter that they can deal with Disadvantage on the roll.