Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

1500 posted:

It could be that, or it could be that he is not getting enough baths/showers.

Sounds like it could be a number of issues, low humidity in the room. One of the articles talked about the bird trying to remove its owners hand lotion. So it might be something that changed in the household that is causing the issue. It could also be just that Sammy is board and then ya, preening toys do work, I know owners that have used them to help with both preening and plucking. That's assuming you can find something he likes, I swear I have spent tons of money on Pan (Quaker) and Hermis(cockatiel) toys, and they could not care less about them.

Before running out to buy toys, I would try to figure out if something has changed in the last weeks/month to cause Sammy's change in behavior.

He has a big giant water dish that he dunks in pretty frequently. Oh, but he hasn't been doing it as much recently! I'll try moving it and switching the water out twice a day rather than just in the morning. Other than that, just Kiwi being adopted back in August. I don't know how to tell if he is too dry, other than that.

How much do they need to be able to submerge? He is usually able to get himself pretty soaked, it's this guy right here, besides his normal water bowl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Black areas can also be from you handling him, or him rubbing against something. Inko has glorious perfect feathers and Ohtori is a bit more scruffy because I hold him and he climbs about and just gets into everything everywhere.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Shirec posted:

He has a big giant water dish that he dunks in pretty frequently. Oh, but he hasn't been doing it as much recently! I'll try moving it and switching the water out twice a day rather than just in the morning. Other than that, just Kiwi being adopted back in August. I don't know how to tell if he is too dry, other than that.

How much do they need to be able to submerge? He is usually able to get himself pretty soaked, it's this guy right here, besides his normal water bowl.

Ya I have one of those, I would think that is a little small for bathing purposes, but not bad by any means. What I have found is birds like to really soak themselves, using their wings to splash around (but every bird is different). I would try a large shallow Tupperware with water and see if Sammy splashes around more(dipping his wings in), you could also use a squirt bottle on mist and drench him (if he shows signs of liking it). As I got used to taking Bonny into the shower with me, I tried it with Pan (Quaker) and he liked it. Another option is to have a shallow bowl in the sink, and then have the water running, see if he dives in. If he has no experience with this type of stuff his first reaction might be to back away, what can help is if you take the first step and splash in the water. It sounds like his normal retinue might have been disrupted, and the over preening might be a reaction to that.

--------------------------
Finally uploaded some videos of Bonny.

When I make her toys Bonny likes to get involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1mafuzlBwI

I put the movie Rio on for her and this is her first reaction to the opening song. If you want to just see her dance, jump to the 1min mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4nrm-txQ9k

1500 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 29, 2016

Nov 3, 2015

Yet another video, this time I am wrestling with Bonny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=573YYvJU8wc

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

1500 posted:

Yet another video, this time I am wrestling with Bonny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=573YYvJU8wc

Gosh, Bonny is such a cutie :love: I love seeing your projects and her, what a sweetie.

1500 posted:

Advice

Battle Pigeon posted:

More excellent advice

I'll make a few small changes and see if that helps, and try to see where I'm touching as well. He unfortunately doesn't like showers, Kiwi is my shower bird. He is a dunker, like 3-4 time a day normally.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

If it weren't for the lovely whistling in the bathroom in the morning, and the heart-wings/flirting, I'd be assuming Mr Pending was getting ready to lay an egg with how he's acting lately

Neither of the conures are hormonal so not sure why the cockatiel is

Maybe he's just discovered a hidden burning passion for interior design

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

good birds

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Got posted a little ways up but thank you for sharing regardless :3: it's a very good article.

Mr.Boofu
Mar 22, 2003
~_~
I adopted a potato!

Comes home in March!

http://i.imgur.com/s0Zd3hi.jpg

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Battle Pigeon posted:

If it weren't for the lovely whistling in the bathroom in the morning, and the heart-wings/flirting, I'd be assuming Mr Pending was getting ready to lay an egg with how he's acting lately

Neither of the conures are hormonal so not sure why the cockatiel is

Maybe he's just discovered a hidden burning passion for interior design
Inappropriate Australian hooliganism, that's what it is.

Uncivilized.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Tendai posted:

Uncivilized.

mate

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Here is where I will describe Toast's method of destroying gumnuts.

First he sticks his top mandible (the pointy one) in the nuthole. He then uses his lower mandible (the shovely one) to crunch off all of the raised bit around the rim of the nuthole.

Then he sticks his shovel mandible in the nuthole and uses his pointy mandible to punch a new hole in the body of the gumnut.

Next he peels off the entirety of the barky outer layer of the gumnut piece by tiny piece, leaving the scent of eucalyptus throughout the room and on his breath.

Lastly, once he's peeled off all the barky outer nut layer, he flattens the inner fibrous layer into a single piece and discards it on the floor (where I pick it up and put it in the bin).

Gumnuts are currently his favourite toy :kimchi:

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."
holy hell peacocks are awesome

https://www.facebook.com/hellojoyus/videos/1014617685272763/

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Taco does that ALL THE TIME with his feathers, and if you pick it up he gets very angry that you have his feather and will attack you till he gets it back.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

would

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

When I lived in San Diego we had neighbors who had several peafowl in their yard. I don't know what the birds were for but the noise was hideous.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

titties posted:

When I lived in San Diego we had neighbors who had several peafowl in their yard. I don't know what the birds were for but the noise was hideous.

Escapees from zoos and private owners mostly. We have em all over the place in Florida, but especially in the Tampa Bay area.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Tendai posted:

Uncivilized.

He's not even doing that, honestly, so I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do or whether it's even a problem really

He continues to be fed by Ohtori whenever they're both on the mirror shelf in the bathroom. It's heartwarming

He is also eating the Zupreem daily (they're mostly too big and hard (hurr) to really eat much so most of it is shrapnel, but he's deliberately sitting there for ten-fifteen minutes at a time munching and getting bits) which is the most surprising thing honestly. I assume it's because he had a choice, it wasn't mixed with his daily seeds, and he has never accepted the small Harrison's in over a year or so of them being in his cage so I didn't expect him to even try and he just started eating Zupreem right now so therefore of course he would. Because cockatiel.

(He likes the orange ones best apparently, and Ohtori purple, Inko was just offended and his are on the floor)

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Battle Pigeon posted:

He's not even doing that, honestly, so I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do or whether it's even a problem really
To be honest, so long as there's not behavioral problems cropping up as a result, I wouldn't think it's that much of a problem. I am not a bird doctor, granted, but... as long as he's not humping everything in sight or starting to get all shithead-bitey like Judah does when he's hormonal, seems okay.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
http://mutarijjalun.tumblr.com/post...r-feed%3Areblog

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

Is it weird I watched that loop like 10 times...?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Anyone want a toucan

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

H110Hawk posted:

Anyone want a toucan

Mindo still being a turd?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

H110Hawk posted:

Anyone want a two year old child

Aug 24, 2011

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

what you want, punk-rear end biiiitch

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

dreggon pls do not get roughed up by those scary gangsters on your trampoline

Aug 24, 2011

Pile of Kittens posted:

dreggon pls do not get roughed up by those scary gangsters on your trampoline

Aug 24, 2011

he kinda looks like walter white

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Why do they have flowers growing out the head

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Fashion

Nov 3, 2015

LOL he is so not impressed.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Powerful muttonchopping going on in the background

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Bird on right doesn't move a single cm he's so umimpressed

Which ones are they?

Aug 24, 2011

Battle Pigeon posted:

Bird on right doesn't move a single cm he's so umimpressed

Which ones are they?

left is Gaston's friend, right is Gaston

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Toast has declared my hair to be his waifu and my fingats to be his fat pink babies

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
He'a preening your hair and throwing up on your hand?

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Neddy Seagoon posted:

He'a preening your hair and throwing up on your hand?

A little less G-rated for the first, but yes. My fingats are not eating the food he pretends to spew up for them, so they must be bitten into submission.

This is why I won't let you have real babies, stupid bird :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Stop letting him near your hair. Sucks, but do it.