Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Monopthalmus posted:

Using any mods that change the checksum? I think that will disable them.

No mods.

mornhaven posted:

Sometimes Steam doesn't show the achievement in game, but you'll still have it on the game page.

I checked the game page and they're not on there :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011
Restarting Steam might fix it.

Though if that doesn't work :shrug:

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

mornhaven posted:

Restarting Steam might fix it.

Though if that doesn't work :shrug:

Bleh, done that, no luck.

It's not that big of a deal I guess.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Shnooks posted:

Bleh, done that, no luck.

It's not that big of a deal I guess.
Just use the Cheevo manager. I added a bunch I earned before I realized that you don't get them in non-Ironman but I got legit anyhow.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Having the ruler designer DLC turned on (even if you didn't use it) also blocks achievements, IIRC. Just un-tick it in the launcher when starting the game.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
That's so silly. I've never even used the ruler designer. I'll have to try that next

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Jabor posted:

Having the ruler designer DLC turned on (even if you didn't use it) also blocks achievements, IIRC.
It doesn't; the one achievement I have was from a short ironman game where basically all I did was get married, where ruler designer was enabled but not used.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Crosscontaminant posted:

It doesn't; the one achievement I have was from a short ironman game where basically all I did was get married, where ruler designer was enabled but not used.

This. What's funny though is if you go to start a game, use the ruler designer, decide against playing that character, return to the main menu, and try to start another game without using the ruler designer, ironman is still disabled. So once you've used the ruler designer at all, you have to reset the game before you can play ironman.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I can see that modding, savescumming and such would make achievements trivial, but the lengths the game goes to ensure you never get one unless the stars are properly aligned is kind of baffling.

Especially considering achievements don't actually matter nor are in any way meaningful besides giving you an extra objective.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

TorakFade posted:

I can see that modding, savescumming and such would make achievements trivial, but the lengths the game goes to ensure you never get one unless the stars are properly aligned is kind of baffling.

Especially considering achievements don't actually matter nor are in any way meaningful besides giving you an extra objective.

Technically, none of what we do in these games matter. I guess it really ruins some people's sense of immersion/achievement when their fake empires are ruled by fake people.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Some youtuber called Kailvin is showing early access Conclave.

Except he plays as an Absolute realm so he doesn't show off the Council mechanics at all :lol: Thrill as he gathers a war chest!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Except he plays as an Absolute realm so he doesn't show off the Council mechanics at all :lol: Thrill as he gathers a war chest!

How can I get a CB against this guy so I can invade and take his titles?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Two days

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Jabor posted:

Having the ruler designer DLC turned on (even if you didn't use it) also blocks achievements, IIRC. Just un-tick it in the launcher when starting the game.

No it definitely don't. It is only when you use it.
If the game have turned of achievements it will tell you by marking the iron-man button by making it yellow and adding a red exclamation mark.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

New traits, I like it. The council screen looks interesting. Never bothered to play pomerania before. HRE proximity is the worst but that actually looked like it has potential, you know so long as the germans ignore him.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I uninstalled and reinstalled it after deleting all the files and still no luck. Goddamn they really don't want me to log achievements.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Shnooks posted:

I uninstalled and reinstalled it after deleting all the files and still no luck. Goddamn they really don't want me to log achievements.

Now you'll just have to play the game for the sheer fun of it I guess :(

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Darth Windu posted:

Now you'll just have to play the game for the sheer fun of it I guess :(

I did that for a while, I thought I could have some end goal, oh well.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

Shnooks posted:

I did that for a while, I thought I could have some end goal, oh well.

You can check this if you want to have new objectives for the endgame or something: http://www.scenariogenerator.net/game/crusaderkings

Some of them can be a bit silly or gamey, though.

Maybe with Conclave I will finally be able to complete the 700 span playthrough... and then finally be able to play EUIV. :cripes:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
When you click the ironman button, does it turn green for you?
Also you do start through steam right? If you press shift+tab the overlay pops up right?

Groogy fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 31, 2016

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Richest character in the game right now. 4x as rich as the pope. All her kids have less than 50 gold combined between them, and her siblings are all in debt. Charitable my rear end.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 31, 2016

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Volkerball posted:

Richest character in the game right now. 4x as rich as the pope. All her kids have less than 50 gold combined between them, but I guess nobody ever got Bill Gates money by sharing.

huh. Norse Somali from a judaic family with a hindu coat of arms :psyduck:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Can't believe he also ignores his kids and the only realm law he fucks with is centralization.

Still I guess it's good to know that you can still go full North Korea

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Excelzior posted:

huh. Norse Somali from a judaic family with a hindu coat of arms :psyduck:

With a Persian titular empire (Baluchistan) based out of southern India. :getin: I figured out what happened. I recognize her father as the former richest character in the game. He lived to 72 as a male courtier in my republic capital just soaking up money since he was 16. Apparently she inherited every last penny, and one of her 3 bastard children will get it all when she dies. Then they will die unlanded and all the money will disappear. :rip:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
^^Edit: Give them a city when you next conquer one. They can spend the money to improve it. Or give them a castle, they will form a new dynasty anyway, and can put that gold to good use.

Volkerball posted:

Richest character in the game right now. 4x as rich as the pope. All her kids have less than 50 gold combined between them, and her siblings are all in debt. Charitable my rear end.

It would be cool if charitable characters could actually give their money to poorer chars, or donate it to holy orders or the like.

That said, merchant republic characters can get filthy rich. I'm losing so much money because I'm mostly designating young guys my heirs, because I've been really successful with my breeding program. My last 4 rulers have been geniuses, and my current ruler is also attractive, which isn't that useful honestly. Do you let your inheritance cycle through your old guys to collect their gold?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Volkerball posted:

With a Persian titular empire (Baluchistan) based out of southern India. :getin: I figured out what happened. I recognize her father as the former richest character in the game. He lived to 72 as a male courtier in my republic capital just soaking up money since he was 16. Apparently she inherited every last penny, and one of her 3 bastard children will get it all when she dies. Then they will die unlanded and all the money will disappear. :rip:

Spy on them, imprison them, and banish them, then build ten new cities across your realm.

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011
Didn't they remove banishing for gold?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

mornhaven posted:

Didn't they remove banishing for gold?

I think that you still get the gold if the person you banish is from your dynasty, but I'm not 100% sure.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Torrannor posted:

^^Edit: Give them a city when you next conquer one. They can spend the money to improve it. Or give them a castle, they will form a new dynasty anyway, and can put that gold to good use.

Technology is the holdup for the most part, not money. Most of my vassals are already stupid rich anyways. But that's a shitload of money to just have fall into the abyss, so I'll keep an eye on her bastard child for now and maybe figure something out.

quote:

It would be cool if charitable characters could actually give their money to poorer chars, or donate it to holy orders or the like.

That said, merchant republic characters can get filthy rich. I'm losing so much money because I'm mostly designating young guys my heirs, because I've been really successful with my breeding program. My last 4 rulers have been geniuses, and my current ruler is also attractive, which isn't that useful honestly. Do you let your inheritance cycle through your old guys to collect their gold?

I alternate depending on the situation. With a constant rotating stable of 60+ year olds, you can take the seduction focus, and usually pop out several sons before you die in just a few years. Then you can repeat the process. It gives you a huge boost in adult male courtier numbers if you want to focus on building more trade posts. The old guys usually have a shitload of cash as well, so if there's some old man with an absurd amount of money, that plays into your decision making when you're deciding your heir. An instant 7k gold is nothing to sneeze at. You can use the ledger to sort your dynasty members by the amount of gold they have for a quick look at who's gonna bring the most money to the table. Some of the richest are often in their 30's and 40's. On the other side, if you've got a 17 year old genius with double digits in every stat while your ruler is on his deathbed, you know your realm is totally set for the next 50ish years if you pick him. Transitions don't seem to be as bad when you just follow the seniority, but your ruler can seem to die just when your fears of revolt have passed, which is annoying if your top priority at the moment is aggressive expansion. But if you choose 17 year old perfect heir, you're going to have to pay out the rear end to get him elected, even with liberal assassination of his opponents. Inbred dipshits are always the ones who live to 77 for no reason, so you obviously want to avoid your heir being completely incompetent. Just check the wealth of everyone and don't use stats as your sole criteria for selecting an heir. Sure your 17 year old genius may be a perfect heir, but there might be a 50 year old strong guy with really solid stats and 5k in the bank that may be a better choice. Or he may not be. It's all relative.

vyelkin posted:

Spy on them, imprison them, and banish them, then build ten new cities across your realm.

There's no way in hell this still works but I'm totally trying it anyways. Only people I've been able to get money from banishing since whatever patch has been adventurers, who usually have about 500 gold.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 31, 2016

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Torrannor posted:

I think that you still get the gold if the person you banish is from your dynasty, but I'm not 100% sure.

Nope. Still Bill Gates rich in tribal Iceland now.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

if the person you banish has a court to go to, you won't get their gold. It's only if you poof them out of existence that you get it.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Groogy posted:

When you click the ironman button, does it turn green for you?
Also you do start through steam right? If you press shift+tab the overlay pops up right?

Yes & yes.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Volkerball posted:

Nope. Still Bill Gates rich in tribal Iceland now.

Grant that lady Iceland with the console, mebe make the next generation a merchant republic.

YouŽd just have to switch over to her to make her marry matrilineally, mebe de-age her a bit or just console impregnate her a couple times.Or kill her, and land the dude that inherits the gold, then make Iceland a merchant republic, because they're bastards they won't disallow you from making another one or cause problems.

Excelzior posted:

if the person you banish has a court to go to, you won't get their gold. It's only if you poof them out of existence that you get it.
This is so tedious. On the other hand, it now makes it all the more sweet when you actually snag one with a buncha gold, so ehhhh.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It looks like Steam's updated the achievements for Conclave, unless that happened a while back and I didn't notice.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Checking them, there's nothing really surprising or dramatic.

The only real tidbit is that you can "intervene in a youth's development to force one of your own traits on them".

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm shocked that having all upgrades for your family palace has only been earned by 0.9% of all players, I've done that at least five times already.

Edit: Okay, only two of those were ironman games.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Torrannor posted:

I'm shocked that having all upgrades for your family palace has only been earned by 0.9% of all players, I've done that at least five times already.

after level 4 palace and level 3 warehouse i have to remind myself to care about upgrading my other stuff once every like 150 years. by the time you're getting to the point that you have nothing better to spend your money on than palace upgrades that aren't really all that great, you've already broken the game.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
How's that Nadu game going

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

verbal enema posted:

How's that Nadu game going

I snapped up Afghanistan while the Jibrilid caliphate was facing a revolt in modern day Iraq, and I only had to kill about 5,000 men to do it, despite me being at about 90k men, and the Caliph being at 70. Couldn't have gone any better.

Then my goal was to build vertically, but my ruler was about to die. I had a not so great guy stats-wise as a potential heir with 4,500 gold. I really wanted the money, since I was 12k under my retinue cap, and I needed to expand my trade route. The drawback being that I tend to think the bigger your vassals are, and the farther you are from the vassal limit, the better. So India is divided into just 6 different multi-kingdom states.

I could easily throw all my African holdings under one king, and then I would have a demesne of over 1000 holdings with only 7 vassals. I was curious to see if I'd just gotten lucky with stability so far, or if my demesne was actually sustainable, so I went ahead and picked the guy with the money who would be less capable of preventing a revolt over the broke rear end genius kid. Upon inheritance, the faction strength never went above 95%, and within a year or two, it was sub-50%. So with confidence that the realm was as stable as could be, I went to work on my trade network. To start, I sent a fragment of my retinue to blockade the silk road route that bypasses India, forcing all trade to come through me.

I set up a fort there, and it appears no one can do poo poo about it. They've been there for a while now. Then I invested about 5k in my trade network.

A major silk road city bumped the income of Mahoyadapuram to floating around +/- 5 of 50 gold.In the screenshot, it's at 46, while the ocean based non-silk road ports are at 15ish. So it brings in triple the income. Before this playthrough, I thought 20 was about the best you could get a post to perform. Silk road trade posts are hugely overpowered. Unfortunately, you're only allowed to build them in counties that you personally hold, meaning you're restricted by your demesne limit. At least that's what I thought until I noticed that my number of trade posts had increased without me building a new one, and discovered this.

That trade post is in my families name. I did some testing around, because some vassals seemed to build posts that were considered their families posts, while others would build posts that would be considered mine. This didn't seem to be influenced by government type, level of title, whether they were a direct or indirect vassal, or anything like that. But what I did find out was that if you personally hold a county on the silk road as a merchant republic, and you build a trade post (letting the construction process complete), and then hand the title off to a vassal, the post will remain yours 100% of the time. I tested around with this, and as you can see on the family trade route map, my family now owns quite a bit of random poo poo on the inland parts of the silk road, despite personally holding none of those counties.

All of the inland posts that are directly connected to my trade zone get the trade zone and connected to capital bonuses, as well as all the silk road bonuses, and I can build upgrades on them as I wish. What that means is that with the right process, you can build an inland republic that runs basically the entirety of the silk road all as one solid trade zone, with basically every buff the game allows you to have, on every post, with a stacking effect. This was what I'd wanted to do since I heard the silk road was going to be in Horse Lords, but I thought it was impossible. So now I'm debating on closing the book on the Nadu game after I do a little more testing with it.

The game plan would be for my republic to be based out of Oleshye, in the Magyar Khaganate.

From there, I could build a connected to capital route from my capital to the silk road exit there on the east. And from there,

From Oleshye in the northwest corner, I could gradually expand my network east to Mongolia, back southwest to the Mediterranean, and then south east to Basra. From Basra, I could build trade posts along the southern coast of Persia with 0 competition, eventually meeting up with the western-most Nadu trade post. It would fill a little over 60 trade posts to get to that point, with an absolute ton of room for expansion north and east into India. I've played probably 20 republic saves, and this India one showed me a whole other level. Republic income fluctuates a lot, but I've seen +60 a month income, which I've never seen before starting at 769 iirc, and it's not even the year 1000. In the Oleshye save, the potential is beyond stupid. I feel very confident in saying it's by far the most profitable republic that CK2 would allow you to make, which is something I've always kind of looked for as someone who almost exclusively plays republics. My India trade zone currently has a value of 4.2k, which is... a lot. I'd bet with Oleshye, I could get it to 10k like nothing, with nothing but clear skies ahead. So idk, we'll see. I might do an LP of it if I can perfect a method to do it.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Torrannor posted:

Especially since you can do it in 5 minutes, if you're willing to cheese it. Venice in 1337 has all upgrades except the level 4 palace; get 600ish gold, and you have the achievement.

• Locked thread