Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I remember that in the madoka thread the mod banned the word 'deconstruction'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pavlov posted:

Good.

It can be very lazily used in very incorrect ways.

EDIT: Also Sailor Nothing was still a thing.

I keep wanting to forget Sailor Nothing was a thing...

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Pavlov posted:

I never heard of that and haha that's amazing.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hm

i have no idea what's going to happen next in octopus pie

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Burkion posted:

EDIT: Also Sailor Nothing was still a thing.

I keep wanting to forget Sailor Nothing was a thing...

The internet Middle Ages (the late 56k/early broadband era?) was a hell of a thing.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Pavlov posted:

Faith in humanity restored.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
derelict started updating again at some point

dang is being, well, dang

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Tollymain posted:

It's good to see her heading out away from "civilization" again. I wonder if she's actually going to circle back for Clint or if she's just taking off.

I'm hoping Ben is picking up some steam on Derelict again -- I loved book one and it feels like he got bogged down a bit at the start of book two.

edit: ahaha, his tumblr post for this page bears the caption "In which Dang uses every part of the animal."

Quinton fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jan 30, 2016

Gorilla Desperado
Oct 9, 2012

Tollymain posted:

Started updating again right after New Year and it's on fridays now instead of mondays.

Excellent link formulation :rimshot:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that is a REALLY good caption

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
If you're into Derelict, btw, the first book is on sale til the 4th. Couldn't recommend it enough, it came out really nicely, and since Ben's moving house right now it'd be a great time to support him.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Monsterkind: And that's the last anyone ever heard of Roy.

Seriously though I really like the "monster" designs of all the kids and it's nice to see a character completely in his element following that big emotional bit.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 30, 2016

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Kojiro posted:

If you're into Derelict, btw, the first book is on sale til the 4th. Couldn't recommend it enough, it came out really nicely, and since Ben's moving house right now it'd be a great time to support him.

And it features a bonus comic wherein Dang has a nice day.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Ava's Demon seems to have updated. I hope that happens again this year.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

quite the update, though :shittypop:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Kojiro posted:

The comic about the most loving terrifying lethal goof there's ever been. It's always a little jarring to see how Dang just cold-bloodedly offs people.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Captain Bravo posted:

Ok, here's my childhood trauma that makes tears well up every time I see this comic. I was like, four years old, and we had kittens in the house. And they were adorable, and I loved playing with them, and it was a great time for everyone involved. One night I couldn't find one of the kittens. I looked, and looked, and finally found the naughty kitten hiding behind a chair. It was pooping! I scolded the kitten, "BAD KITTY!" and picked it up, and took it to the litter box. I set it in the litter box, and it just laid there. It just laid there, and did nothing. I finally went and got my mom. Turns out, the chair it was hiding behind? A rocking chair. The kitten had gotten squished, and that wasn't poop coming out it's butt, that was it's intestines. I think I probably cried for an entire day, after that, and my mom got rid of all the kittens because just seeing one made me cry again! It took me a few years after that to be able to handle kittens again, and even to this day I still remember that poor kitten, especially when I see something like this.

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Feb 1, 2016

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wiegieman posted:

The comic about the most loving terrifying lethal goof there's ever been. It's always a little jarring to see how Dang just cold-bloodedly offs people.

i was thinking about this reading that update

dang is like, this awkward isolated tinker nerd who when the chips are down will flip this switch and kill without hesitation

like, not even in the "human weapon" sort of sense, more like if the kid from home alone just loving executed the burglars with a knife from the kitchen after knocking them out

she clearly feels bad afterwards but like, what the hell happened in her past to make her like that

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

She's not so much a nerd as a hermit. She's socially awkward because she's grown used to living all on her own on a boat a million miles from anyone else, as opposed to just a little natural introversion.

It's pretty neat that social grace is even an issue in this post-apocalyptic future. A lot of settings just assume that after a little nation-destroying mass trauma, people just quit at trying to form societies. 'Course, all the miasma human sacrifice cults are a real downside.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Ok, I'm gonna gripe a bit about this. Not the comic itself, I love Widdershins, more this stupid loving trope that I see all the time. Bad guy threatens good guy with harm to hostage, good guy relents, bad guy harms hostage anyway. It is so frustrating! Good guy has advantage, then gives up advantage while the same thing that was going to happen happens anyway. What did Izzy think was going to be the outcome? "Oh, thanks Ms. Holt. I'll just release your boytoy now, safe and sound, as I'm not the literal incarnation of a deadly sin."

I mean, I get it, the whole point of threatening a loved one is to ensure your opponent isn't thinking straight. But it's still annoying to see this trope in almost every story in almost every medium. Ugh.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

Welcome to the club pal.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Tollymain posted:

i was thinking about this reading that update

dang is like, this awkward isolated tinker nerd who when the chips are down will flip this switch and kill without hesitation

like, not even in the "human weapon" sort of sense, more like if the kid from home alone just loving executed the burglars with a knife from the kitchen after knocking them out

she clearly feels bad afterwards but like, what the hell happened in her past to make her like that

p sure what happened is having to live in a deadly hellscape where everyone is habitually killing each other over resources or just to get a rad skull

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I just migrated all my comic feeds out of Opera, and was kinda surprised by how many dead feeds I followed that have just stopped or disappeared without really realizing it. Not counting ones with a definitive, planned end or ones that are now continued only in print like Red's Planet or Rutabaga.

Truckbearingkibble, last strip sometime around 2009. Domain expired, comics only seem to exist in possibly incomplete third-party archives.
Kukuburi, which last had a strip in 2012 and an 'imminent return' post in 2013, and nothing since.
Dubblebaby, last updated 2013. Writer's tumbler no longer exists, artist is still active and is storyboarding with Adventure Time.
Tale of Tamarind, last strip in 2013, and a 'stay tuned for updates!' post in 2014.
Roadside, last updated 2009. Site's still up, but the images are gone, and I don't remember a drat thing about this comic.
Not so Distant, last strip in 2009 and no hint of it since. Domain expired. Not even sure who the creator was.
Rob & Elliot, last updated 2012. Creator is still doing Hamlet's Danish, although it's sporadic.
Escape From Planet Nowhere, last updated 2012, site taken over by a Japanese blogger (?). Creator still has an active website and con schedule.
Para-Ten, final strip in 2011, but all image links are broken, original site taken over. Creator still active on twitter and tumblr, but still links to the broken site.
Lair of the Dreaded Atrox, last strip in 2011, with a 'still in hibernation' message in 2012 with a 'but this other one is going!' (High Quality Erotic Art, which stopped updating that June).
Boxer Hockey, latest in 2014, with a 2015 "free webcomics don't pay the rent and it's unfair to me and my readers to trickle out one strip every few months" update
Hanna is Not a Boys Name, last updated 2011, creator is famous for dropping projects. Strip doesn't seem to exist online officially any more.
Not Drunk Enough, also by the Hanna creator, last updated September 2015.
The Last of the Polar Bears, last updated April 2015, but updates had been trickling in for years. Seems to be a 'real life gets in the way' project.
Hyperbole and a Half, last updated 2013. Allie's still alive, but seems to have vastly reduced her online presence. Apparently has another book coming this October.
Cheap Thrills, which we all know suffered a "sick of this and don't know where to go with it" in 2013. Not sure if the artist has any continued web presence.
Ellie Starling's Very Long Walk, last strip in 2013, with a 'don't have a lot of time these days' message.
Destructor, last strip in 2014, last updated with a 'artist is taking a break while perusing other projects, so we're gonna start up again with a new artist!' message that never got followed up on.
Sandi in Mari, last strip in 2012, update in 2014 with a 'not much time, really want to come back, hopefully have something for you in the next few months'.
Oak, last updated sometime in 2013ish, and published as a book (which I happened to find in a used bookstore last month). Website is now dead.
Abominable Charles Christopher, last updated in 2014. Creator is still active, but no hints of a return of Charles Christopher.
All Night, last updated Jan 2015. Creator's twitter is gone and tumblr hasn't been updated in months.
Christopher, last updated Jan 2015. His twitter says he swears he has a new comic almost done as of last December.
LeLatte, last updated 2014. Latest update is a 'Sorry, we don't have any time and have grown distant from the setting. It's over.'
Dullahan, last updated 2013. Creator's personal blog seems active, but art blog isn't.
Roza, the Cursed Mage, last updated 2013, but still posts a lot of Roza sketches on twitter. Senior artist at a Disney game developer.
House of Orr, last updated...not sure, nothing's dated and the RSS only shows today's date. Early 2015?
Fanboys, last updated Feb 2015. Creator's only current comic work seems to be for College Humor.
Rosetta Phone, last updated July 2015 with a 'winter break' and some people on the tumblr asking if the comic is continuing with a 'maybe??' in November
Dracula Mystery Club, last updated 2012, only lasted 24 pages. involved our very own Kel, and the only comic labeled as 'Discontinued' on Kel's site.
Selektive Erinnerung, last updated 2013. Doesn't look like the English versions caught up with the original German, which also stopped 3 years ago. Artist is now part of Pengboom.
TGSA Comic, last updated 2010. I think they had something to do with Gone with the Blastwave, which of course we're still lucky to get 1 comic a quarter from.

Also discovered quite a few that had changed their RSS feed without notifying the old feed first.

It's pretty neat how many of these and other comic creators are working for big comic publishers or the animation industry now.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jan 31, 2016

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Pyroclastic posted:

Not Drunk Enough, also by the Hanna creator, last updated September 2015.

This one is still going. It just hasn't had a blog post since then. The most recent one was like 3 days ago.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

djw175 posted:

This one is still going. It just hasn't had a blog post since then. The most recent one was like 3 days ago.

Oops, should've checked the RSS for actual strip dates.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pyroclastic posted:

All Night, last updated Jan 2015. Creator's twitter is gone and tumblr hasn't been updated in months.

their twitter's still around? i think that life just got busy, as these things often go

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Tollymain posted:

their twitter's still around? i think that life just got busy, as these things often go

The link on the comic page, https://twitter.com/brittneysabo , says it doesn't exist.

I'm sure life getting busy is the reason all of these strips have stopped (I don't think anyone's died or gone to prison), but it's surprising how many don't even get an update saying that, and how those that do seem to end with a 'More updates soon!'. Hell, it's a victory if they keep their domains registered and hosting bills paid.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

entropy consumes us all

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

I'm so glad you like it! Folks like you and Pavlov keep this series going.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pyroclastic posted:

The link on the comic page, https://twitter.com/brittneysabo , says it doesn't exist.

She's @BrittSabo.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Pyroclastic posted:

Not so Distant, last strip in 2009 and no hint of it since. Domain expired. Not even sure who the creator was.
Ellie Starling's Very Long Walk, last strip in 2013, with a 'don't have a lot of time these days' message.
Not so Distand got dropped if I remember well because the author felt she couldn't finish it or something. I can't remember the author's name either.
Ellie Starling: The author is doing a video game of this comic.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Please stop posting Bunny Meat strips in this thread, just link to them or something christ.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Dabir posted:

Please stop posting Bunny Meat strips in this thread, just link to them or something christ.

Sure thing. I'll only post links now.

Sorry about that.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Dabir posted:

What, would you prefer if we all talk about how mediocre Questionable Content is again?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Heaven forbid that webcomics would be posted in the webcomic thread.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Well, it's pretty intense stuff.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pavlov posted:

What, would you prefer if we all talk about how mediocre Questionable Content is again?

I'd prefer not to be scrolling through what has been, so far, a relatively easy-going thread, and then suddenly run into some rear end in a top hat comparing my perfectly reasonable request to a handjob for Webcomics Hitler.

e: also not to run into rather upsetting embedded comics

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

qntm posted:

Well, it's pretty intense stuff.

I like bunnymeat but concur that this is a good reason to link them rather than post inline.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Pyroclastic posted:

Para-Ten, final strip in 2011, but all image links are broken, original site taken over. Creator still active on twitter and tumblr, but still links to the broken site.

Am I misremembering, or did this get taken down because the author got it printed? I know he stopped doing Quiet and Slow because he felt like he "didn't have to anything to prove any more".

e:

Well then

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Dabir posted:

a handjob for Webcomics Hitler.

Hahaha ok I guess you're right.

• Locked thread