Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh helllllllllllllll yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
^ yeah, that loving rules.

I convinced a high school AD to let me put up a backboard remote for the freshman -> jv -> varsity triple header the other day. I'd never done it before, so I definitely learned a lot.

1. Placement: I tried to go for an overhead angle, but wasn't able to get the camera high & centered enough. I think for this angle to work you pretty much have to be up in the rafters (which don't exist in the high schools around me) and in front of the glass. Next time, I'll definitely pick a side (probably players' right) and go for a lower and more downward-looking angle.
2. Focus: I set it too high. I overestimated how far up players would come for rebounds and layups. There were a few times where players got high enough to hit the focus, but most of the time they were soft. Next time, I'll probably turn on the wifi on the 6D, connect to my phone, and dial in the focus during warmups. I had the WiFi off because I was concerned about battery life while it was up there for three games firing often, but by the end of the night I still had 3/4 bars.
3. Reflections: I didn't notice any during my testing, but that's probably because I didn't look hard enough and there weren't any people around to make them since the gym was pretty empty at the time. I'll make a reflection-blocking gobo next time out of black paper and gaffer's tape for sure.

_MG_0660 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

_MG_0685 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

I was super concerned about safety, especially since it was my first time, so I had 4 safety cables on it -- one each for the camera, camera bracket, magic arm, and super clamp.

_KPH0933 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Fantastic article about Walter Iooss that is very much worth your time. It mostly focuses on his snag of Dwight Clark's famous catch, but also on how he'd been embedded with the Cowboys all year, his inspirations, and friendly rivalry with equally talented Neil Leifer.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

DJExile posted:

Fantastic article about Walter Iooss that is very much worth your time. It mostly focuses on his snag of Dwight Clark's famous catch, but also on how he'd been embedded with the Cowboys all year, his inspirations, and friendly rivalry with equally talented Neil Leifer.

Great read I was about to share it. My favorite bit from the story:

David Davis posted:

He spent other seasons embedded with one team, including the 1985 Miami Dolphins, with Dan Marino in his prime. Miami lost in the AFC title game to the New England Patriots, and his documentary pictures were again put aside. He spent months shooting the American sports fan for a photo essay, but Sports Illustrated deemed the results “too dark” to publish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiM2_Va8h-k

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I really really hope there's a huge publication of Walter's sports work some day because I will buy the poo poo out of it.

Same for Neil Leifer.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Couple favorites from the past 3 HS basketball game sets:

_KPH0967 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

_KPH2429 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

_KPH2256 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

_MG_6292 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

_KPH2976 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

_KPH1175 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

40ozOE
Aug 26, 2004

Bedridden I know more than you.

dakana posted:

I was super concerned about safety, especially since it was my first time, so I had 4 safety cables on it -- one each for the camera, camera bracket, magic arm, and super clamp.

_KPH0933 by Nicholas Kneer, on Flickr

What remote trigger/transceiver are you using here? Looking to research some alternatives before dropping a chunk of change on PocketWizards.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Um excuse me but wide angle lenses are never appropriate for sports photos :colbert:

soooooo jealous

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

40ozOE posted:

What remote trigger/transceiver are you using here? Looking to research some alternatives before dropping a chunk of change on PocketWizards.

I'm still using the Yongnuo RF-602 system that I've had since college. Honestly, I haven't really had a reason to invest in PocketWizards yet. Since about 2009-2010 I've spent probably about $120 on them, giving myself 2 triggers, 4 receivers, and cords to attach to 2 Canon cameras, a Nikon camera, PC sync ports, and strobes. They've let me experiment at a ridiculously low cost.

I started writing out some of my beefs with them, but then I looked up what their newer iterations are, and they actually have taken care of a lot of the problems. I didn't like that there wasn't a mechanism to lock down the hotshoe, but it looks like the RF-603 II transceivers have a locking wheel. It also bothers me that the triggers take a CR2 battery, but the transceivers take AAAs like the 602 receivers. It also looks like the on/off switch is a bit more robust and harder to accidentally hit, which is nice because I've turned my 602s on in my bag.

I can't really remember a time where they'd poo poo the bed and triggered intermittently or anything. They've been pretty reliable. They aren't the most durable or high-quality, but they've always gotten the job done.

I'd go with the Yongnuo RF-603 II transceivers. It'll let you trigger a camera or a flash and it's dirt cheap. The flash triggering is "dumb" in the sense that it'll just tell it to fire -- you can't use TTL, HSS, or control flash settings like power and zoom. Yongnuo does make a set of flash triggers that give you wireless flash control, HSS, TTL, etc, (the 622 set) but they aren't a remote camera trigger. I do own them, though, because wireless HSS is amazing.

DJExile posted:

Um excuse me but wide angle lenses are never appropriate for sports photos :colbert:

soooooo jealous

nor are wide angle lenses appropriate for birds.

BREAK RULES. HAIL SATAN.

40ozOE
Aug 26, 2004

Bedridden I know more than you.

dakana posted:

I'd go with the Yongnuo RF-603 II transceivers.

Ordered. Thanks for the in-depth analysis and examples of practical use.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

40ozOE posted:

I've started to shoot with a remote trigger/reciever this season myself. This is from one of my attempts:

Vålerenga Fotball - Strømsgodset 06.04.2015 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

What I've done is that I have a reciever that I put on my 7D and a transmitter that is set on my 5D3. So every time I shoot a picture with my 5D3 the 7D does the same. I'm using the Phottix Strato II system for my setup.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

dakana posted:

I'm still using the Yongnuo RF-602 system :words:

This is super useful info and I'm probably going to pick a set up, thanks! (How has the range been for you? Could I trigger this from hundreds of feet if I wanted?)

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Frinkahedron posted:

This is super useful info and I'm probably going to pick a set up, thanks! (How has the range been for you? Could I trigger this from hundreds of feet if I wanted?)

Probably not. It's a 2.4GHz transmitter that's powered by a CR2 battery. In ideal situations (no obstructions, no interference from Bluetooth, microwaves, etc) you're probably looking at about 60m or so as an effective maximum range. I have a set of the 602 triggers and the range is ok for indoor shooting or lights but you probably aren't going to be able to use it for remote cameras at opposite ends of a sports field.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

azathosk posted:

I've started to shoot with a remote trigger/reciever this season myself. This is from one of my attempts:

Vålerenga Fotball - Strømsgodset 06.04.2015 by Eivind Hauger, on Flickr

What I've done is that I have a reciever that I put on my 7D and a transmitter that is set on my 5D3. So every time I shoot a picture with my 5D3 the 7D does the same. I'm using the Phottix Strato II system for my setup.

Nice! I'll likely be trying some goal remote shenanigans when HS soccer rolls around in the spring. Man, now I'm thinking about baseball/softball, too. Maybe my 85 near the plate shooting the batters so I can focus on fielding with my 70-200 and 2x. REMOTES EVERYWHERE, ALL THE TIME.

And that's typically what I do with my transmitter when I'm shooting on the same side of the court as the remote. Usually, if the action comes to my side of the court, I'll switch the transmitter on. I leave it off otherwise so that I don't have a whole bunch of empty photos from when I'm shooting defense or mid-court stuff with my long lens.

Helen Highwater posted:

Probably not. It's a 2.4GHz transmitter that's powered by a CR2 battery. In ideal situations (no obstructions, no interference from Bluetooth, microwaves, etc) you're probably looking at about 60m or so as an effective maximum range. I have a set of the 602 triggers and the range is ok for indoor shooting or lights but you probably aren't going to be able to use it for remote cameras at opposite ends of a sports field.

Yeah, I'm comfortable triggering from across a basketball court (and haven't had any issues with interference from a crowded gym, audio and scoreboard systems, wifi, etc) but I'm not sure how successful it'd be across the length of a football/soccer field.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I love this development of using remote cameras ITT and support it whole heartedly

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Next up is remote cameras on drones.

Get to it, nerds.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

Next up is remote cameras on drones.

Get to it, nerds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJu4kmcy8gQ

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Close, but no cigar.

My team is getting both a new football stadium AND hockey arena in the next few years (2017 and 2018). My hope is that they ask me (or other resident photographers) what they can do to enable us to take more spectacular shots.

Roofside access and possibility to put a camera above the rink is on top if my list (together with a dedicated photographers wifi).

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

azathosk posted:

Close, but no cigar.

My team is getting both a new football stadium AND hockey arena in the next few years (2017 and 2018). My hope is that they ask me (or other resident photographers) what they can do to enable us to take more spectacular shots.

Roofside access and possibility to put a camera above the rink is on top if my list (together with a dedicated photographers wifi).

House strobes :getin:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I recently got my first DSLR, and last weekend I thought it'd be a brilliant idea to go shoot some nerdy hipster sports.

IMG_0319.jpg by Siivola, on Flickr

IMG_0358.jpg by Siivola, on Flickr

IMG_0504.jpg by Siivola, on Flickr

IMG_0687.jpg by Siivola, on Flickr

Turns out a 450D struggles with indoors lighting and zippy swords. :v:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Is it new or used? It seems like it caught the background in focus a lot more an your subjects which makes me think that someone dunked around with the AF settings.

Also is that fencing? That doesn't look like fencing. I'm down for sword fights though.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It's well-used, and this was my first time shooting anything fast with it. I did my best to reset all settings, so I think it's just me trying to figure out what works that's causing the issues. I kept getting shots like that first one, with a coach or the referee or a ringside judge in focus and the fencers blurred, so I switched from completely automatic focus to the centermost AF point, tried to guess where the fencers would end up and then prefocused it on the floor there. Or, if it looked like they would be moving directly across, just straight-up on a jacket. And then refocused because they moved away. And then refocused. And then it felt like someone might do something so I hit the shutter and prayed.

And that is a longsword tournament! I'm into historical European martial arts (HEMA for short), and this is what it looks like when people get together and make it into a competition.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So what is the medieval equivalent of a weaboo because holy drat we found it :v:

Joking aside, you've got the right ideas here but you're asking the world of an entry-level DSLR and basic 50mm. Sports like fencing are already a nightmare because the outfits and masks are very tough to find focus on, and combining that with the lighting of what appears to be a high school gym surrounded by a dark rubber mat is going to make things drat near impossible. Granted, even a pro body and f/2.0 lens is going to have a hard time here. Your action on the last one is a good moment but I cannot at all figure out where the focus is supposed to be and the competitor on the right being in solid black just makes things all the harder for you. Going forward, a few ideas for you.

Max out your ISO, do whatever will get you at least 1/400 shutter speed at the bare minimum. It's going to make things very noisy but at this point you don't have many options.

W/B on the whole seems... OK (it's hard to tell in all but the first one), but maybe take it off something like a white shirt to help you out.

Find an angle that keeps a clean background if you can. Your last image is a good moment but it's hard not to be distracted by the table and people in the background.

Don't forget to get shots of people before and after their... bouts? Fights? Whatever the term is. Handshakes, hugs, frustrated faces, etc. Show the people behind the mask too because you can get some really great stuff there and a 50mm is built well for that.

As for focus, you're kind of at the mercy of a lot of things that are out of your control, unfortunately. It seems like the fight area is a big ring shape like wrestling, instead of the typical fencing strip so pre-focusing is probably going to be all but impossible since you don't know where the action is going to go. You might have luck trying to focus on gloves if they're wearing pattered lacrosse gloves like the competitor in orange seems to be doing. In effect, you're going to have to find the competitor with the more contrasting outfit to help your camera out and focus on them. I don't know how good the basic 50mm lens is from Canon with tracking AF.

You're going to throw a lot of pictures out here, don't let that get you down. You're shooting what appears to be a very difficult sport to shoot, in lighting that is doing you no favors. Keep at it though, you've got some good things to start with.

E: Let the record show that while I might have made fun of this sport, it does also look like an absolute blast.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 31, 2016

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

DJExile posted:

You're going to throw a lot of pictures out here, don't let that get you down.

Can't say this enough. I'm averaging about 1200-1400 shots per basketball game. I usually get a gallery of about 25 images I like from a storytelling perspective. Out of those, maybe 1 or 2 I'd push to get printed (in my newspaper days). I might get one or two photos a season that I'd like printed and framed on my wall. There's a lot of rejects.

The worst is when you get that perfect celebration photo that you can't use for poo poo because the team ended up losing :smith:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

DJExile posted:

So what is the medieval equivalent of a weaboo because holy drat we found it :v:
Oh man you have no idea. People train this stuff from translated 15th century manuscripts and Renaissance books. Anyhow, thanks for all the pointers, I'll try to keep at least something in mind the next time I venture out to shoot a swordsman. Shooting before and after the bouts would mean I could... Catch people without their masks on! :aaa:

Frinkahedron posted:

Can't say this enough. I'm averaging about 1200-1400 shots per basketball game. I usually get a gallery of about 25 images I like from a storytelling perspective.
Huh. And here I thought my 500 shots were getting close to proper numbers. :v: I suppose the moral of the story is "take more shots".

You guys are really cool, by the way.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That also means buy a couple extra SD cards. Or a half dozen. There's nothing worse than machine gunning an event and running out of space and trying to filter out rejects on the camera while stuff is still happening around you.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

That also means buy a couple extra SD cards. Or a half dozen. There's nothing worse than machine gunning an event and running out of space and trying to filter out rejects on the camera while stuff is still happening around you.

Yeah, SD cards from reputable brands are drat near always on sale on Amazon and other places. Snag a few and get a cheap wallet for them and leave it in your bag at all times. I've had this happen before and it is the worrrrrrrrrssssssst feeling.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Never worry about shooting too much because it's digital data. Get a few extra cards and just go nuts.

Also what lenses do you have?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I've got 11 gigs of card space in total right right now. I could get a card or two I suppose, but I haven't run out yet (and money's really tight because I'm spending it all on fencing gear, natch). As for objectives, I only have a kit EF-S 18-55 and the EF 50mm f/1.8 I shot the above with.

I'm dreadfully under-equipped for this hobby, I realize. :smith:

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Are you shooting in RAW (always be shooting in RAW)? 11Gb is going to fill up quite quickly when you are shooting bursts over the course of a day. I used to think a 64Gb card was fine until the time I was frantically deleting images so I'd have enough space to shoot the last few exhibitors at an air show a while back. Since then I carry two spare 64Gb cards in my bag, even if I'm just out for a walk.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Helen Highwater posted:

Since then I carry two spare 64Gb cards in my bag, even if I'm just out for a walk.
That's some serious spray and pray.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

small jpg is where it's at, yo :radcat:

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty bad at remembering to delete stuff on cards ever since I moved to Lightroom from Aperture for post-processing (Aperture had an option to delete images on the card after import, with Lightroom I have to remember to do it manually).

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Helen Highwater posted:

Are you shooting in RAW (always be shooting in RAW)? 11Gb is going to fill up quite quickly when you are shooting bursts over the course of a day. I used to think a 64Gb card was fine until the time I was frantically deleting images so I'd have enough space to shoot the last few exhibitors at an air show a while back. Since then I carry two spare 64Gb cards in my bag, even if I'm just out for a walk.

I never shoot RAW in sports because it's so much slower to get stuff out on deadline, but if I had a runner bringing/taking memory cards during an event out like the big sports illustrated guys have at something like the olympics, I probably would.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

^^^^^^
The Nikon WIC plugin is so awesome, makes viewing / opening raw files basically as easy as jpg / png. And a quick 10 line command line program can convert them to any other format

Since sd cards are so drat cheap, I tend to not delete images of the SD cards until I have the images mirrored to my backup drive at the office, which is only done every few weeks. Then again I just take photos for fun, so they don't fill up too quickly.

Ika fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 2, 2016

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal
Continuing to work on my sports shooting skills, my sister's girls took on a conference rival the other day, here's what I came up with:
Edgewood edits (15 of 18) by Viper_X83, on Flickr
Edgewood edits (16 of 18) by Viper_X83, on Flickr
Edgewood edits (17 of 18) by Viper_X83, on Flickr
Edgewood edits (22 of 18) by Viper_X83, on Flickr
Edgewood edits (27 of 18) by Viper_X83, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Your first 2 are good moments (#3's expression on the first is great) but you can crop out the players on the left easily.

1/250 is probably a touch slow. The 2nd one isn't bad, but there's motion blur on the others (hands and ball in the 3rd).

I'd take white balance from white team's jerseys, or even that wall in the background if you have to. Auto WB seems to be leaving a blue-ish hue on the white jerseys sometimes (especially #11), but that could be my computer.

The last one is a cool idea but I'd get lower. That doesn't seem to be the tallest coach and it makes the girls seem even smaller.

You are getting good moments though, I like the girl reaching for the ball and getting a face full of hair for her efforts, and the first 3 are well timed, but just need a little cropping and a faster shutter.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I was taught the reason behind the imaging of shooting lower/higher with some people deals with how we, the viewer, perceive it. Shooting low, angle high gives the viewer the perspective that the subject is "larger than life," or in charge/noteworthy/charismatic. It's kind of how we look up to people and always imagine me being taller than they really are. Doing it subtly is fine. No need to lay on the floor and shoot up. Just crouch a bit.

The same is said with shooting high, angle down. Who do we do this to every day? Kids. Kids should be shot at eye level because if not it gives the perception of looking down on them and a face to face shot is just so much better anyways. But when a team or a person is concerned, that mentality stays. We aren't afraid of a kid, we aren't intimidated by a kid. This visualization translates to the viewer. I use this composure a lot less frequently than I above.

At least that's what was taught to me

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

DJExile posted:

Sports like fencing are already a nightmare because the outfits and masks are very tough to find focus on, and combining that with the lighting of what appears to be a high school gym surrounded by a dark rubber mat is going to make things drat near impossible.

I believe my first post in this thread was kendo shot in a high school gym using a body with a max usable ISO of like 1000 and rangefinder lenses. :saddowns:

DJExile already had some really good advice, but by the looks of it they're holding more than one "match" at a time? So that might make it hard to find a clean background. Since you don't have a fast telephoto to grab all those cool close-up clashing shots, it makes it all the more important to get those pre- and post-match moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also if you shoot down you're just gonna get a frame full of floor, which makes for a boring rear end setting.