Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

icantfindaname posted:

ouch. all that anime posting has made you powerful, i see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Another Person posted:

I could understand that if it was you responding to something that I said in this thread and neither of us had a name which carried weight outside of this thread. We are just two bystanders with equal lack of knowledge about each other and a similarly equal lack of sources of information about each of us, and nobody else would be saying things about either of us to provide misinformation. However, TB is not like that. He is a fairly prominent figure on the internet with a lot of information about him all over the place, some right, some wrong.

There is a certain point of recognition after which you have to accept that some people will be wrong about you, your positions and your actions, and there is no point leading a personal crusade over it. You can just issue a 'no, you are wrong and here is why' without going into a big tirade with insults. It doesn't help people, nor does it convince them that you are in the right (even if you did the right thing, or didn't do what you are accused of) because people see insults alongside information. I just think it is a poor way of addressing misinformed criticism.

What I would add is that even then it's OK to insult people, but you have to make it funny.

Io_ fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jan 31, 2016

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Io_ posted:

What I would add is that even then it's OK to insult people, but you have to make it funny.

He's made a career on trying and failing to be funny, so I no longer know what to think about that.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

He's made a career on trying and failing to be funny, so I no longer know what to think about that.

The only funny thing he did: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2634792

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

That dude did not bring the funny.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Man, look at all these people who have never posted in this thread before. My my.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mierenneuker posted:

Man, look at all these people who have never posted in this thread before. My my.

It caused someone who hadn't been here in years to compile a panicking reply to a rumor about themselves. I'd say the response to others noticing is apt.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mierenneuker posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6NJnjprd1s&hd=1

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
is this what my recent internet outage was trying to protect me from

hngkong
Nov 19, 2003

TotalBiscuit posted:

You lying rear end in a top hat. Not only did we meet the kid in question and give him the VIP treatment at Coxcon (after I was cleared to fly, since flying international while your white blood-cell count is so low from chemo and radiation is dangerous), I dedicated my entire award speech at the 2014 Game Awards to him. What do you want me to say, sorry for not dropping everything immediately during intensive chemotherapy to fly halfway across the world, putting myself at serious risk of deadly infection? Sorry for waiting until I was cleared to fly safely? Ok, sorry that I can't live up your standards of sainthood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6h9k7DZZ68
https://www.reddit.com/r/Cynicalbrit/comments/3fkn2v/remember_the_young_kid_who_tb_mentioned_in_his/
https://twitter.com/totalbiscuit/status/627926149595799552

He is 17. And oh yeah, I'm HUUGGEE with kids

There's nothing kids love more than 45 minute long videos about the state of games media. They really dig that with their Cheerios.

Sorry, but I'm not gonna let this lying son of a bitch just sit here and get away with it. You wonder why Austin decided to do my show? Maybe because he's not a delusional liar like you are. Whatever crazed mental image of me you've conjured up in your head, it's bullshit. Shove it up your rear end.

For your own sake, follow your own claims of getting off social media.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

hngkong posted:

Yes, TB should absolutely follow his own advice.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
He tried. Apparently someone went out of their way to like send him this thread personally and he couldn't resist the siren call of yelling at someone who slandered him on the Internet. (but joking aside, it is kind of a hosed up thing to make up about somebody so I don't entirely blame him for getting mad although I personally deal with stuff like this by crying while I jerk off)

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I feel like Thumbs is really hitting a good stride lately. I assume it's cause firewatch is shipping next week so they have time to play games, but mostly I just love Jake talking about building a sick rig.

Also, I know some podcasters follow this thread. I guess patreon is probably what you most appreciate on terms of monetary support, but I can't really swing that for multiple casts. Anyone have any merch recommendations?

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

slowbeef posted:

He tried. Apparently someone went out of their way to like send him this thread personally and he couldn't resist the siren call of yelling at someone who slandered him on the Internet. (but joking aside, it is kind of a hosed up thing to make up about somebody so I don't entirely blame him for getting mad although I personally deal with stuff like this by crying while I jerk off)

Crying while you jerk off while your white blood-cell count is so low from chemo and radiation is also dangerous.

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

hngkong posted:

Hey you can't hold this one against TB. Someone brought it up to him and he was mortified and apologized.

But again, people spread it because its really easy to post a JPG that's bascially like "Hey gently caress that guy".

And to stay on topic I really like Idle Weekend. The Intro music is also amazing. Remo does it again!

Robiben fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 31, 2016

hngkong
Nov 19, 2003

Robiben posted:

Hey you can't hold this one against TB. Someone brought it up to him and he was mortified and apologized.

But again, people spread it because its really easy to post a JPG that's bascially like "Hey gently caress that guy".

And to stay on topic I really like Idle Weekend. The Intro music is also amazing. Remo does it again!

So a man who says "I want no way—no way at all—to contact the wider Internet outside of my work. I don’t want to do it anymore. It’s too much. So that’s how it’s going to be." Then posts on these forums six days later shouldn't have his hypocrisy pointed out, over and over?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
the moment in one's life when one realizes hypocrisy does not matter is a very happy one imo

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird

hngkong posted:

So a man who says "I want no way—no way at all—to contact the wider Internet outside of my work. I don’t want to do it anymore. It’s too much. So that’s how it’s going to be." Then posts on these forums six days later shouldn't have his hypocrisy pointed out, over and over?

Well sure its a bit hypocritical, but people do all sorts of crazy things. It sounds like he wants to get off social media, which is fine because he probably gets a lot of people giving him poo poo and he wants to diminish that. But that original post might have come at a bad time for him and he snapped and made a post. I'd probably be mad as well if someone said I deliberately ignored a kid with cancer when I did the exact opposite of that.

Again i'm not really a fan of his work or politics but being a popular person on the internet sucks because people will go out of their way to needle you until you break. And I agree, he should quit social media and stop reading threads. But for his well-being, not for the benefit of people who want him gone.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

mindblowing I know but I don't give a poo poo about any of this TB poo poo so was wondering what the current WOFF schedule for this year is now, haven't seen any listings for what comes after Fallout and Megaman Legends. I keep foolishly hoping No More Heroes, Banjo Kazooie, and Mark of the Ninja will be on the docket.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Sanitarium, Soul Reaver, then a special about Interactive Fiction, for which they haven't yet chosen what games to feature. I've tried and failed multiple times to care even one bit about Mega Man Legends and jokes about Mega Man Volnutt's insatiable gently caress-appetite aside the WOFF episode was no different, otherwise I'd be posting about it to try to steer the discussion away from its current, uh, state.

I love Sanitarium though, and while I've never managed to stick with Soul Reaver for longer than a few hours I've enjoyed those few hours every time I've played them, so I might actually get through it in time for the show. They have stuff planned after that and it's apparently pretty exciting but they haven't revealed what it is yet.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

MinibarMatchman posted:

mindblowing I know but I don't give a poo poo about any of this TB poo poo so was wondering what the current WOFF schedule for this year is now, haven't seen any listings for what comes after Fallout and Megaman Legends. I keep foolishly hoping No More Heroes, Banjo Kazooie, and Mark of the Ninja will be on the docket.

I'd be down for a Banjo episode just because of how divisive it is in the greater games podcast space and it's always interesting to hear how Gary & Kole split on a game (if they do).

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I think Gary & Kole are pretty united in their dislike of Banjo, so if there's a divide to speak of I expect it to be Gary hating it more passionately. I definitely want to hear that particular hate-in, though, I agree.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

HMS Boromir posted:

I think Gary & Kole are pretty united in their dislike of Banjo, so if there's a divide to speak of I expect it to be Gary hating it more passionately. I definitely want to hear that particular hate-in, though, I agree.

Yeah I specifically wanted that on there for that too but I still don't know why they hate it? If it was stated before it's become lost to me, all I know is that it's a "thing" that they hated it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The correct answer is to flood the Abject Suffering request form with Banjo-Kazooie.

YA-HUCK!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

MinibarMatchman posted:

Yeah I specifically wanted that on there for that too but I still don't know why they hate it? If it was stated before it's become lost to me, all I know is that it's a "thing" that they hated it.
Bad taste :smug:

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I used to preface this opinion with "I actually like collectathons in general", but now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure the only one I actually like is the very first Spyro the Dragon, so maybe I don't. Either way, my problem with Banjo specifically is the fact that there are a hundred loving moves and some of them you use maybe twice in the entire game. Then Tooie adds another hundred loving moves without removing any of the old ones, and also adds a bunch of inter-level travel and little quests that require it, to make sure you spend a million years walking around collecting the things you'll need to take to another level so you can collect the thing you actually want to collect.

It's been a while since I've heard the duckfeed boix actually talk about why they don't like it, so I won't try to speak for them. I'm sure Gary'll pop in and give us the raw toast.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

HMS Boromir posted:

I used to preface this opinion with "I actually like collectathons in general", but now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure the only one I actually like is the very first Spyro the Dragon, so maybe I don't. Either way, my problem with Banjo specifically is the fact that there are a hundred loving moves and some of them you use maybe twice in the entire game. Then Tooie adds another hundred loving moves without removing any of the old ones, and also adds a bunch of inter-level travel and little quests that require it, to make sure you spend a million years walking around collecting the things you'll need to take to another level so you can collect the thing you actually want to collect.

It's been a while since I've heard the duckfeed boix actually talk about why they don't like it, so I won't try to speak for them. I'm sure Gary'll pop in and give us the raw toast.

That's exactly why I liked Banjo. You have a wide variety of basic moves and then a bunch of contextual puzzles and events that are unique to every level. Listening to Retronauts on Mario 64 when they were talking about their favorite levels I'm sitting here thinking "Uh, each one of these I liked better in Banjo!" Freezeezy Peak was better than Cool, Cool Mountain, Gobi's Valley was cooler than Shifting Sand Land, Clanker's Cavern better than Hazy Maze Cave and so on. I don't really understand the dislike for "collectathons" either, to me it's like complaining about loot in Diablo. It never registers in my mind that I'm carrying eggs, red feathers, gold feathers, and skulls if I see it I pick it up so whatever. At the end of the day you have puzzle pieces, musical notes, and Jinjos which are the equivalent to stars, coins, and red coins respectively so what's the big deal?

But I can totally understand the arguments against it. You're never really mastering anything specific, it's like the game has ADHD where the levels are interconnected series of secluded puzzles separated from everything else. Run to this corner and play Hungry Hungry Hippos now run to this corner and vomit eggs at a monkey go go go! Mario's levels are these incomprehensible LEGO lands floating in empty space but they change based on the mission and mastering Mario's moveset lets you pull some crazy ninja moves across the world.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That's pretty much what it comes down to for me: I'd rather the game gradually challenged me to master a character rather than throwing tons of disparate gimmicks at me all the time (and that's putting aside whether Rare's gimmicks were even fun).

Even Mario's not immune to this - the 3D games and Galaxy in particular changed the role of powerups and other items from being fun things to mess around with to gimmicks with entire levels designed around them, and while those levels were fun they weren't really worth trading for the fun of being able to freely carry powerups between levels or discovering them as a reward for clever play or whatever.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I think a lot of what I don't like about Banjo has been covered: collecting things, too many moves, etc. I'll add a general lack of enthusiasm for 3d platformers and the fact that I think it's generally really unattractive aesthetically. The level designs, level and character visuals, and voice work is obnoxious to me.

Even though I don't love playing SM64, I still recognize how it's close to perfection. Banjo Kazooie just feels bloated and ugly in comparison. Just my take.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Banjo designs seriously look like crude 3D approximations of clipart.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Anything on the n64 looks like crude 3D approximations of clipart

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Now that right there I don't get, Banjo Kazooie ended up being one of the best animated games of that era and there are so many striking visuals in the levels. So much of it revolved around clear landmarks like the giant snowman or loving this thing. They loving ran with the themes of the levels far beyond a 2D background or simple set dressing. First game I recall where you could look in the distance and be like "Oh yeah, there's something over there." Sure, every character other than Banjo is a Jim Henson reject muppet but they're animated so well!

But yeah, I can totally leave behind the belching screeching voices.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Banjo doesn't offend me too much, but if you look at the progression from the DKC platformers to their N64 platformers (Banjo, Jet Force Gemini, DK64), the collecting gets out of control.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yeah DKC64 is just dumb and Jet Force Gemini actively hates you. What's more fun than having to collect 100% of these creatures that can die from a stray shot forcing you to restart? Oh and I hope you gave Juno all the homing missile upgrades or you little can't beat the final boss!

I love JFG though as the N64 Metroid game that never existed.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

al-azad posted:

I love JFG though as the N64 Metroid game that never existed.

I think it's the only one of those games that I found fun on its own merits (until the final part where it went "ha ha hope you grabbed everything/want to go back and grab the ones that were impossible until ten seconds ago"). A remixed JFG could be a legitimately solid title, so, of course, it'll never happen and Rare will continue to be my personal gaming Satan.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Serious note, JFG had the best collectible since Anachronox's Totally Arbitrary Collectible Objects: enemy heads.

And I'm now submitting Anachronox for WOFF.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax

TotalBiscuit posted:

You lying rear end in a top hat. Not only did we meet the kid in question and give him the VIP treatment at Coxcon (after I was cleared to fly, since flying international while your white blood-cell count is so low from chemo and radiation is dangerous), I dedicated my entire award speech at the 2014 Game Awards to him. What do you want me to say, sorry for not dropping everything immediately during intensive chemotherapy to fly halfway across the world, putting myself at serious risk of deadly infection? Sorry for waiting until I was cleared to fly safely? Ok, sorry that I can't live up your standards of sainthood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6h9k7DZZ68
https://www.reddit.com/r/Cynicalbrit/comments/3fkn2v/remember_the_young_kid_who_tb_mentioned_in_his/
https://twitter.com/totalbiscuit/status/627926149595799552

He is 17. And oh yeah, I'm HUUGGEE with kids

There's nothing kids love more than 45 minute long videos about the state of games media. They really dig that with their Cheerios.

Sorry, but I'm not gonna let this lying son of a bitch just sit here and get away with it. You wonder why Austin decided to do my show? Maybe because he's not a delusional liar like you are. Whatever crazed mental image of me you've conjured up in your head, it's bullshit. Shove it up your rear end.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I think Banjo-Kazooie gets more flak than it deserves due to Rare's later games doubling down on the worst parts of the game. BK itself is light enough that its problems don't really drag it down the way it does the sequel.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I def agree that DK64 and JFG took the collectathon ball and ran that poo poo into the ground. tbh I haven't enjoyed any of that kind of stuff beyond the first 2 Banjo games.

I'd like to see Conker on WOFF though, that's at least one Rare game that broke from tradition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Gary, Kole, this is for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKio4o88TDA

• Locked thread