Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Mr E posted:

I got the PS3 release of SMT: Nocturne on a whim yesterday - holy poo poo it's really good. I'm just pumping points into strength right now, any specific build I should go for?
Keep with a Strength build, it will help if you want to go for the True Ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Mr E posted:

I got the PS3 release of SMT: Nocturne on a whim yesterday - holy poo poo it's really good. I'm just pumping points into strength right now, any specific build I should go for?

The most important thing is to make sure that between yourself and your demons you should try to cover as many elements and buffs/debuffs (and ways to remove them) as possible. It's a game where being prepared for anything is really important, the boss fights in Nocturne are no joke especially if you find yourself lacking the particular ability that makes them more manageable. Even if you go mostly Strength you should grab a few spells to avoid being a one-trick pony.

And like was mentioned, make sure to grab Focus since you get it very early on and if you discard it then you'll make things a lot more difficult for yourself. The game isn't exactly forthcoming with information about what abilities you get and at what level, in the case of Focus the matagama Kamudo teaches it and it requires level 23.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Mr E posted:

Strength based build is best (and probably canon). Note that skills, once forgotten, cannot be relearned, so hang onto them. If you're Strength based, make especially sure that you never let go of Focus, which you can get relatively early, as there's no endgame or Magic equivalent.

Besides that, just have fun? I don't think the game is too punishing when it comes to builds, because you live or die mostly on your whole party composition. Even if you "mess up" the MC, your demons will pull you through. Similarly, if you have a demon that's dragging the team down in a dungeon or fight, it might be better to replace the guy or flat out remove the Demon from the party than leave it in to mess things up.

Artelier fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 31, 2016

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Well I just beat matador which I was always warned about and have the focus magatama, thanks for the tips!

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
In Soul Nomad is there a way to tell when my room capacity has increased? I don't remember being told when I could make a second or third room, I just remember being surprised when 2/3 rooms showed up when I pressed 'change'. As far as I've seen there doesn't seem to be a way to tell what your max room limit is.

Also I was kind of worried at first because I had no GP for the first few missions (I spent most of the initial funds I had buying a new Home because I thought you had to purchase the new rooms there in order for them to show up in Change) but it turns out this game isn't very stingy with money.

I'm really glad this got recommended to me. I'm in complete agreement that this is one of the best hidden gems among SRPGs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Generally it's whenever a new story character joins, but I forget the exact points in the story it happens. Best thing to do is just to check whenever you get a new party member, if you're okay with tossing your non-locked rooms.

also look forward to meeting my username

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Getsuya posted:

And to buy at a later date:
Okage ($15)
Persona 4 ($15)

Just fyi, Okage is probably being rereleased on PS4 (emulated) in the coming weeks, if you have the console.

Also, Wild Arms 3.

$15 is the likely price point.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Getsuya posted:

I'm really glad this got recommended to me. I'm in complete agreement that this is one of the best hidden gems among SRPGs.

Yep. There are issues with it -- for example, enemy strength growth is controlled with the assumption that you'll never do room explorations, and doing so can permanently place you above the difficulty curve -- but it's by far my favorite NIS game and good god are they ever going to remake it or what

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mr E posted:

STR is an ideal stat to boost, but don't be afraid to stick a few points into your magic stat early on because, as somebody else noted, the force Magatama that gives you Tornado is a key skill that you'll want to have at your disposal early on. It wrecks most mobs and does great damage to bosses who don't resist it, but it costs a fat sack of MP.

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

STR is an ideal stat to boost, but don't be afraid to stick a few points into your magic stat early on because, as somebody else noted, the force Magatama that gives you Tornado is a key skill that you'll want to have at your disposal early on. It wrecks most mobs and does great damage to bosses who don't resist it, but it costs a fat sack of MP.

I want to add that AGI is kind of a worthless stat in Nocturne because the effects it gives you either don't matter (turn placement), or certain skills give you much better effects (fog breath alone gives you what high AGI can and more).

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Just fyi, Okage is probably being rereleased on PS4 (emulated) in the coming weeks, if you have the console.

Also, Wild Arms 3.

$15 is the likely price point.

I actually decided to buy a PS2 instead of a PS4 since there are tons of games I need to go back and play. Once I'm done with all the PS2/1 games I need to go back and see the PS4 should have a fair library out and should be cheaper.

One more Soul Nomad question: I know there's supposed to be a kind of rock-paper-scissors relationship between the types, does it go Physical fighters are weak against mages who are weak against monsters who are weak against physical fighters? I know physicals get torn apart by magic, but my mages seem to also lose to monsters quite a bit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

technically speaking each class has a different matchup chart, there's no broad strokes.

this faq has them all

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mr E posted:

Well I just beat matador which I was always warned about and have the focus magatama, thanks for the tips!

In general, magic is good early on and then somewhere around level 40-50 the physical damage formula outgrows the strongest spells.

Consider registering Element and Mitama demons with good skills you want to pass down (strong heals, buffs, debuffs, bright might, mp regen skills). They have special uses in the fusion system that make it relatively easy to pass skills down from them.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I, uh

So Grandia 2 is easy so it doesn't need this, but I just ran some tests and figured out that every character has a hidden caster level for each individual spell, and if you grind enough you can cast anything instantly :aaaaa:

e: My mistake, it's overall element levels. I hosed up my control group

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Feb 1, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

KT opened a facebook poll for possible GUST anime collaborations. Strange set of choices for them, though.

https://poll.fbapp.io/questions-for-future-gust-titles

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eh, not really. They're all pretty popular.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

Eh, not really. They're all pretty popular.

Sure, but none of them really fit GUST, imo. This sort of thing seems better suited to Omega Force.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

land of no night was already an action game, so they might be looking to expand their portfolio in that genre

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Let Gust make a Hunter x Hunter game where you craft your own nen abilities Atelier style. Now pretend that would be an fun as it sounds instead of weird and awkward.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Let Gust make a Hunter x Hunter game where you craft your own nen abilities Atelier style. Now pretend that would be an fun as it sounds instead of weird and awkward.

It has to take place in Greed Island

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a sword art online game, but you're playing as the blacksmith girl, trying to keep an adventurer-based economy going in an MMO where some random dude could stumble across the +60 sword of kill end boss

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

blacksmith girl is best girl anyway

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Disgaea for steam is on the 24th, and they're selling physical copies if you want that for some reason.

(The physical copy just has a digital game code inside).

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Tae posted:

Disgaea for steam is on the 24th, and they're selling physical copies if you want that for some reason.

(The physical copy just has a digital game code inside).

http://store.nisamerica.com/disgaea-pc-deluxe-dood-edition

I think they just wanted to sell a collectors edition, comes with an artbook and soundtrack.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

24th ughhhhh

at least thats more time for xcom 2

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I've never played a Gust game, are they fanservicey enough to do a Fairy Tail game justice?

I'd play it, because I'm shallow. Also I hope the music would be good like in the anime.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I hate linking NeoGAF but this one is too good:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1178556

The inclusion of DRM is my favorite. This is the poor Tales of Symphonia that got a lousy PS3 re-release in the past.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

I've never played a Gust game, are they fanservicey enough to do a Fairy Tail game justice?

I'd play it, because I'm shallow. Also I hope the music would be good like in the anime.

At times, yeah. And the music would be very good.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rascyc posted:

I hate linking NeoGAF but this one is too good:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1178556

The inclusion of DRM is my favorite. This is the poor Tales of Symphonia that got a lousy PS3 re-release in the past.

Bit sad, considering most of Bamco's PC ports have been fine/good.

Also Symphonia PC is a port of a port of a port :supaburn:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kirbysuperstar posted:

Bit sad, considering most of Bamco's PC ports have been fine/good.

Also Symphonia PC is a port of a port of a port :supaburn:

It's probably more like a port of a version that won't poo poo the bed when it's moved to another platform.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

just so people know, the disgaea steam release has the bonus features from the psp port. this means etna mode and plenair, mostly.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Getsuya posted:

Actually, now that I looked it up, yeah that's exactly what I meant. I guess since it's also based on ROT3K I thought it was part of the same series.

there is a sequel to that game, however, which has been fan translated. so you could play that!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's probably more like a port of a version that won't poo poo the bed when it's moved to another platform.

Well yes, but that's not nearly as funny.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

haha, well, about that,

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
How do you even make an OPM game without forcing you to not play as him?

Also not so RPG related but Dissidia Arcade is still progressing and

Behold, Ramza with a nose.
Also man is he pretty.

EDIT: CH/IF somehow snagged the Tales Of artist and Symphonia's writer.

Jeez, what is it with valkyries all the time?

HGH fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Feb 2, 2016

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Are these Tales games high in quality? I sorta always wanted to try one but they look so generic to me. Like Star Ocean but with worse combat and even more anime.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the combat is way better than star ocean and at the very least they don't have stuff as weird as star ocean 4

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
What would be the best game to start off with?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

iunno, depends what you want. the series has had a lot of different dev teams over the years so there's no one 'best' game, they all have their own ups and downs.

tales of graces has the best combat but a slow start and a pretty awful plot, though the characters are fun imo.
tales of xillia is just pretty good all around but has a rushed third act.

if you hate The Anime though, iunno if you'd be into any of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Lufia 2 lost me. Awesome game, but I loved it more when I played it 20 years ago. Shining Force just a little too old.

Next up on the 'classic RPGs I want to give a proper go of but likely will bail after a few hours' list is Breath of Fire 3. Bought it crazy cheap on PSP. Any starter tips? What should I do to feel like I am progressing during the early moments? Maps look empty and I seem to wander around with not a lot to do for the first bit.