Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
271 hours into the game, I just realized that(Ugly Baby)Uma = Ugliest Man Alive. It's an acronym :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

chaosapiant posted:

I appreciate the replies, it still sounds like what i'm looking for. I almost wish there was a way to just start Witcher 3 on NG+ if you are importing a character from W2 since thematically it makes sense based on Geralt's power level, but I've already beaten W3 so it's a moot point.

This may no longer be true, so sorry if it doesn't work, but I *think* that NG+ will be unlocked for you if you start a standalone HoS campaign. So load up a new HoS game, then exit and start a NG+. Again, sorry if it doesn't work, but it was a pet feature of the director, so I'd be surprised if it didn't ship.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Asehujiko posted:

271 hours into the game, I just realized that(Ugly Baby)Uma = Ugliest Man Alive. It's an acronym :haw:

I think it's actually a backronym, I seem to recall that Uma was "Uma" before he was UMA. I might be wrong though, this was all done before my time.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I think it's actually a backronym, I seem to recall that Uma was "Uma" before he was UMA. I might be wrong though, this was all done before my time.

He himself says the word uma a lot so its possible they just named him like he was a pokemon and then invented the acronym later

The Belgian Devil
May 3, 2008

Ca plane pour moi

Staltran posted:

Yen's in her late 90s, I think. Philippa's 300ish. I don't remember how old Triss is, I want to say about 50?

Anyway, either immortal or close enough. There was one mage in the novels who looked really old though, I think he died at Thanedd.

Yeah, in Time of Contempt Hen Gedymdeith, who was the child of two of the first human settlers on the Continent, is the oldest mage (and presumably oldest human alive) at around 500 years old.

He looked really old but that may have been by choice. The books talk about how female mages tend to make themselves young and beautiful while males tend to make themselves old and dignified (or just not work as hard at keeping themselves young).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

WoodrowSkillson posted:

He himself says the word uma a lot so its possible they just named him like he was a pokemon and then invented the acronym later

Dandelion says it every time there's a loading screen with him too. :haw:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

He's named Uma in the Polish version too and it's not an acronym there. Writers are Polish so yeah, they did that later for a laugh.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

The Belgian Devil posted:

He looked really old but that may have been by choice. The books talk about how female mages tend to make themselves young and beautiful while males tend to make themselves old and dignified (or just not work as hard at keeping themselves young).

IIRC they usually make themselves look about 30-40 years old, so that they seem to be experienced and trustworthy, while not too old. A king would not easily accept the counsel of someone who had the appearance of a twenty year-old, for instance.

The Belgian Devil
May 3, 2008

Ca plane pour moi

Nycticeius posted:

IIRC they usually make themselves look about 30-40 years old, so that they seem to be experienced and trustworthy, while not too old. A king would not easily accept the counsel of someone who had the appearance of a twenty year-old, for instance.

True. I just went back and re-read that part, and in fact, Gedymdeith is described as "A middle-aged but vigorous man", so he hasn't really let himself go that far appearance wise.

OatBoy
Nov 18, 2004

What can I say, it's my nature

chaosapiant posted:

How does Death March compare to Witcher 2's Dark Mode? I am almost through Witcher 2 in my complete trilogy playthrough and playing Witcher 2 in Dark Mode (and W1 on hard) is absolutely awesome. Punishing but not at all unfair. So for my Witcher 3 import game i'll be playing on Death March on new game plus. Is it similar in the "unforgiving but rewarding" sense that Dark Mode is?

DM is easier than Dark mode. New Game plus was significantly easier than the first playthrough was for me also.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I don't specifically remember Keira from the other witchers but jeez what an evil person.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Sanctum posted:

I don't specifically remember Keira from the other witchers but jeez what an evil person.

Whaaaaaaaa?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Keira is just egoistic and full of herself and doesn't think straight sometimes but doesn't do anything much worse than Yen. Now if you want to talk actually evil sorceresses Philippa is the go-to choice.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

I think there's a pretty good case that using data obtained from unethical human research is fairly unethical in itself. Wouldn't say she's evil though.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
Well also she lied and used Geralt just to get access to that information so you can't really trust anything she says about her intentions with that information. And even if she were the most honest, trustworthy person it's still data born of human testing on creating infectious plagues. No good will come of this knowledge when it gets in the wrong hands.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I think there's a pretty good case that using data obtained from unethical human research is fairly unethical in itself. Wouldn't say she's evil though.
I mean this is biological warfare research not some formula for a flesh-eating gas or the magical equivalent of a nuclear bomb. Whole different level of taboo.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Sanctum posted:

Well also she lied and used Geralt just to get access to that information so you can't really trust anything she says about her intentions with that information. And even if she were the most honest, trustworthy person it's still data born of human testing on creating infectious plagues. No good will come of this knowledge when it gets in the wrong hands.

I mean this is biological warfare research not some formula for a flesh-eating gas or the magical equivalent of a nuclear bomb. Whole different level of taboo.

Nah, it wasn't biological warfare research, just unethical medical research.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Well, you can get her to give you the research papers. In the end it looks like she did it all out of boredom and can get talked into seeing reason.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
She actually cures the plague if you let her keep it. Not just out of the goodness of her heart, presumably, but still.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Sanctum posted:

Machiavellian, maybe. Evil, no.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
When you want evil sorcerers and sorceresses, you look at Vilgefortz and all the ladies who compressed people into statuettes because they could.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I think I asked this before but I forget; The Witcher 3 wraps a whole lot up. Do the books go on past Witcher 1 or are they more "here's a story about Geralt; here's another one"?

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The books are before the games. I think the best way to describe is that there are two books of short stories of Geralt doing various jobs or going on adventures. Then next chronologically is the 5 Books of the Ciri Saga and those have an definitive end. The videogames are basically fan fiction of what happens after that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I thought more had been written recently, but I think I got confused with their english releases. Never mind!

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

RBA Starblade posted:

I thought more had been written recently, but I think I got confused with their english releases. Never mind!

There was another one, more recent. Season of Storms, I believe. But it's a midquel set between the books.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Season of Storms published in 2013 is definitely a "here's a story about Geralt", it feels like a stand-alone adventure that could happen at any time in Geralt's life.

The 2 short story collections put together various stories that Sapkowski wrote for fantasy magazines. The earliest one dates back to 1986 and you can actually tell how he's still polishing his writing skills.

The first actual novel was published in 1994 and it's a pretty epic 5 book saga in the scope of LotR.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Keiras the best what's wrong with people (end game spoilers)

She does most of the heavy lifting in the early-game encounter with the Wild Hunt, saves Lambert at the battle of Kaer Morhen, cures the plague, gives Geralt a magical device to find hidden stuff, sells good merch. Shes one of the most helpful NPC in the game if you dont murder her.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I know this is one of those on-going debates with strong conviction on both sides but, using the data is the pragmatic approach if not the ethical one.

Geralts argument in the game was that it'd fall into the wrong hands, which I think is a sensible objection without wading into Keiras principals.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Supreme Allah posted:

I know this is one of those on-going debates with strong conviction on both sides but, using the data is the pragmatic approach if not the ethical one.

Geralts argument in the game was that it'd fall into the wrong hands, which I think is a sensible objection without wading into Keiras principals.

Technically it's not even that pragmatic, if the methods were so unethical that you wouldn't be able to reproduce the results, the data is kind of worthless.

e:I suppose until Keira's able to use it to actually cure a plague. Never mind.

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe
Grimey Drawer
Every time you guys talk about not trusting that witch Keira I get confused for a second and think you're talking about this lady instead and I go OF COURSE YOU SHOULDNT TRUST HER

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Technically it's not even that pragmatic, if the methods were so unethical that you wouldn't be able to reproduce the results, the data is kind of worthless.

e:I suppose until Keira's able to use it to actually cure a plague. Never mind.

Yeah, it's not exactly a recent debate:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_human_experimentation#Modern_ethical_issues

Me, I'm of an opinion you shouldn't be an evil oval office, but if you find someone else's research you might as well at least take a look at it.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Just got done with Hearts of Stone. The main game was pretty great already, but I think I liked the expansion even better. For one, it's just packed with fun and memorable boss fights, WalterGaunter O'Dim was creepy as poo poo, but most of all, I think the Witcher in general works better when it's going for relatively small, self-contained stories, instead of sprawling epic.

Anyway, exceptional DLC, really looking forward to Blood and Wine now.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

beer_war posted:

Just got done with Hearts of Stone. The main game was pretty great already, but I think I liked the expansion even better. For one, it's just packed with fun and memorable boss fights, WalterGaunter O'Dim was creepy as poo poo, but most of all, I think the Witcher in general works better when it's going for relatively small, self-contained stories, instead of sprawling epic.

Anyway, exceptional DLC, really looking forward to Blood and Wine now.

I tend to agree that the Hearts of Stone story is more engaging. I think the fact that I beat the main game before doing the quest helped - I completed drat near everything else so the main story felt more contained rather than spending a week gather gear/contracts/sidequests between main story quests.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
I'm beginning to appreciate how incomparably better the W3 background dialogue is to other rpgs. All the other fully voiced games you walk past peasants/guards/citizens a few times and you'll be finishing their sentence before they get through the first syllable. It's quickly annoying, but I guess necessary to maintain agency by having NPCs acknowledge the player or converse among themselves. The background dialogue in witcher games isn't annoying at all, it's actually amazing and there's tons of it.

I'll never forget that peasant in witcher 2 saying "well what do you want me to do about it? gently caress a sheep?" Like what prompted that, what possibly could be the start of that conversation? Keeps me up at night sometimes.

Maximum Planck
Feb 16, 2012

A lot of it is interesting or funny, but you do get a fair amount of repeats if you're constantly running through an area. I heard the beggars in Novigrad practicing their craft enough times that I could probably recite it word for word. Still, I prefer that to completely missing ambient dialogue because I didn't pay attention the first time.

Except for that one joke an Craite guards make after you uncover the plot behind the massacre. Even once is too many shut up you ploughing idiots. :colbert:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My favorite guard banter is when they solemnly watch Geralt as he runs up and belt out "PAM PARAAAM PAM PAM PARAAAM!" while brandishing their weapons.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
If I just arrived at Kaer Moren how far from the end am I? Not that I'm eager to finish at all, game has been fantastic, but XCOM 2 is next week and I'd like to at least finish the main story before aliens suck away my gaming time.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Pierson posted:

If I just arrived at Kaer Moren how far from the end am I? Not that I'm eager to finish at all, game has been fantastic, but XCOM 2 is next week and I'd like to at least finish the main story before aliens suck away my gaming time.

You're probably halfway through act 2. So like 1/2 or 5/8ths of the way through the main story. Close to 2/3rds through with the game if you did all the sidequests though.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Pierson posted:

Yeah you have a lot left, maybe 15-20+ hours of main quest if you powered through it fairly diligently?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Belgian Devil posted:

Yeah, in Time of Contempt Hen Gedymdeith, who was the child of two of the first human settlers on the Continent, is the oldest mage (and presumably oldest human alive) at around 500 years old.

yen has a humpback and hides it with magic and geralt has to constantly not think about it because she might read his mind and zap him

Captain No-mates
Apr 3, 2010

Is there a specific time in the story when it makes sense to do the DLC? I haven't bought it yet but I've heard its well worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Captain No-mates posted:

Is there a specific time in the story when it makes sense to do the DLC? I haven't bought it yet but I've heard its well worth it.

Story-wise it's completely independent of the main story, but in terms of gameplay it's end-game (level 30+).

You can't really do it until near or after you've finished the base game.