Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

AMovieReference posted:

It's Monday again, so here's a new episode of MCIHAD! We've got another Data East game (I swear, half of these we didn't even know were Data East), called "Thunder Zone" or sometimes in other regions "Desert Assault". The game reminds me of something, but I can't quite pin it down for some reason. Anyhow hope you guys enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=civPtTXkbPA

According to the International Arcade Museum, Data East put out a total of 68 games between 1980 and 1996; however, over half of them were pinball games. While they did make two arcade games (Ghostlop and Air Walkers) in 1996, a casual Google suggests they were never actually released, so this is probably their last arcade game you could put a dollar into:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj0oChxVpv8

It looks like a Puyo Puyo clone at first glance, but the actual rules for clearing are strange, and I don't quite understand them. Sometimes matching three will clear every block of that color. Sometimes it doesn't.

As for the banned honey, are you talking about the honey smuggling from China to the US that was happening around 2011? Apparently the stuff had such fun ingredients as lead (used to do soldering work on beehives), which is why the government imposed hefty tariffs on importing it (why it wasn't banned outright, I don't know), so US businesses resorted to various skulduggery to make it look like it was coming from other Asian countries. I just did a quick Google on this, but it wouldn't surprise me if New Zealand had banned the import, as did other European countries.

This LP thread has been so educational!

Also, apparently you had a MAME error at about 4:29. :v:

E: update last page!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Well if it was easy to be king, it wouldn't be so sweet.

Considering a certain multi-episode poo poo festival we recently stumbled into, I should think we're beyond being intimidated by the punishing titles. Put 'em on the docket, QUYLE!

Jesus Christ let me say from personal experience, never drive from Orlando to New England without staying at any motels. Straight up a bad time.

But anyway!

FredMSloniker posted:

According to the International Arcade Museum, Data East put out a total of 68 games between 1980 and 1996; however, over half of them were pinball games. While they did make two arcade games (Ghostlop and Air Walkers) in 1996, a casual Google suggests they were never actually released, so this is probably their last arcade game you could put a dollar into:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj0oChxVpv8

quote:

As for the banned honey, are you talking about the honey smuggling from China to the US that was happening around 2011? Apparently the stuff had such fun ingredients as lead (used to do soldering work on beehives), which is why the government imposed hefty tariffs on importing it (why it wasn't banned outright, I don't know), so US businesses resorted to various skulduggery to make it look like it was coming from other Asian countries. I just did a quick Google on this, but it wouldn't surprise me if New Zealand had banned the import, as did other European countries.

This LP thread has been so educational!

Wow that's pretty hosed!

I hope if nothing else, our little series can be a source of edifying information. (Although the edifying information to Sonic Trivia ratio is sadly skewed in favor of Saaaanic.) The honey I brought up in the video was honey made on a specific and weirdly zoologically isolated island called Kangaroo Island, part of the state of South Australia. I'm not sure if it's all outside honey or only Australian-made or what, but I learned after buying some that it would be confiscated at the customs office in NZ. Apparently an ecosystem as delicate as New Zealand's could be hosed up if the bees started learning to make foreign honey, which is apparently something that can happen. If I recall, there's even a ban on exchanging honey between the west and east coast of Australia itself for the same reason.

quote:

Also, apparently you had a MAME error at about 4:29. :v:

gently caress- I mean no we don't use emulators, this here is a high-class operation. It's- um. AHEM.

Wow way to go Kyle way to make us look professional.

ALSO: A Data East puzzle game you say?? I think we'll have to make this nightmare a reality post haste.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Hey all, we've got a new video. After Keith's bout of Battle Ball mania, he decided to try some "Puyo Puyo". Needless to say, he's frustratingly good at it. OR is he?

No, he is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnU58J7YjJg

Edit: It's funny that FredMSloniker mentioned Puyo Puyo, right before we put it up.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

AMovieReference posted:

Hey all, we've got a new video. After Keith's bout of Battle Ball mania, he decided to try some "Puyo Puyo". Needless to say, he's frustratingly good at it. OR is he?

No, he is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnU58J7YjJg

To answer your question about why you haven't seen the Kirby's Avalanche version of Puyo Puyo: I guess you were a Genesis kid, because that's the system that got the Sonic reskin, while the SNES got the Kirby reskin.

Also, interesting that you can play a two-player game with a single credit! Presumably that's why it ended when one of you stopped putting quarters in. I know there were a few other games that did something like that; the arcade Ice Climbers, for instance (not the Playchoice 10, but Vs. Ice Climbers), would... actually, it's been a while now, but I think it split the three lives between the two players, though I don't know who got the odd one.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Thunder Zone concludes today. This was at the end of our week long mad dash to record as much content as we could without any breaks, so we were all at the end of our ropes for tolerance of one another, but it made it more entertaining hopefully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En0CsTWwSW8

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
I suppose we'll assume that this thread is no longer updated by the original artist/submitter and has now been taken over by a brand new monster. But even though you hadn't expected it, a Friday episode of MCIHAD has been developed and distributed. I'm also six 9.5% beers deep.

I can't be held responsible, at this point, I've been doing anyone a favor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na7V4sY9CRY

AMovieReference fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 23, 2016

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
I love it. I love that you look like you're doing all the wrong and stupid things in these puzzle games, and then you win anyway, and it drives people insane.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Sketch comedy stuff? Que?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

FredMSloniker posted:

Check their youtube channel.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I just watched a full game of Blitz where neither player ran Da Bomb once.

Explain yourselves.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

I love it. I love that you look like you're doing all the wrong and stupid things in these puzzle games, and then you win anyway, and it drives people insane.

It's funny to me that the idea of setting up combos instead of always clearing singles is somehow mysterious and baffling to everyone except Keith.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

ColdPie posted:

It's funny to me that the idea of setting up combos instead of always clearing singles is somehow mysterious and baffling to everyone except Keith.

Yeah like, I can see what Keith tries to do, but no way in hell could I think that way at all.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

FredMSloniker posted:

Yeah, we used to/occasionally make sketch comedy videos. Here's one of the more recent ones that came out last year called Mustache Mystery League: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XxmKWzHOV0

Some of them are pretty good, a lot of them are not. But I think as a creator, you are always unsatisfied with your products as you think you can do better. Here's one with all three of us in it, called "Ghost Fucker": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkitn9-UzTY

We started doing the Let's Play thing because we wanted to update more frequently, and it's hard to get people to help make the videos.

AMovieReference fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 24, 2016

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Eifert Posting posted:

I just watched a full game of Blitz where neither player ran Da Bomb once.

Explain yourselves.

We hadn't played Blitz in years, so we were just picking random plays haha.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Watching the BattleBalls videos, it's really interesting that his basic thing is saving up 3 ball sets. I mean, it makes sense, but surprising how often it works out.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

ColdPie posted:

Right? You can't win these games without planning ahead. That's why they show you the next piece. It's like stacking up tetriminos while leaving one column on the side empty so they can clear it with a straight piece. That doesn't work forever.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Right? You can't win these games without planning ahead. That's why they show you the next piece. It's like stacking up tetriminos while leaving one column on the side empty so they can clear it with a straight piece. That doesn't work forever.

You sure you can't keep that pace up forever? Have you seen the Grand Masters at GDQ exhibitions?

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Choco1980 posted:

You sure you can't keep that pace up forever? Have you seen the Grand Masters at GDQ exhibitions?

I can't say that I have, but I also can't imagine that anyone is lucky enough to be able to pull that off after a few levels, when pieces arrive going at manual drop speed.

Also, do they have Battle Balls Grand-championships? Because that I could get behind.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Also, do they have Battle Balls Grand-championships? Because that I could get behind.

Weirdly enough (as I commented when I suggested the game), Battle Balls seems to have faded into relative obscurity despite doing something very neat with the matching genre. To my knowledge, there is not a single clone of its mechanics in any way, shape, or form. (There's a port, for the original PlayStation, and apparently a couple of sort-of sequels, but that's it.)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

I can't say that I have, but I also can't imagine that anyone is lucky enough to be able to pull that off after a few levels, when pieces arrive going at manual drop speed.

Oh you sweet summer child

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Wait wait wait, you can clear more than one line at a time in Tetris? :byodood: Chaos Theory!!! :argh:

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

ColdPie posted:

Wait wait wait, you can clear more than one line at a time in Tetris? :byodood: Chaos Theory!!! :argh:

I see what you did there. It made me laugh.

I will say, Puyo Puyo is a bit easier to see what's happening, but with Battle Balls, it seemed random because the balls could potentially fall in different directions because they were stacked on top of each other in a triangle type of setup. It wasn't obvious to anyone playing but Keith where the balls would go.

But I'll readily admit, Puzzle games are not my forte.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
We've got the last series of the "season" and season/session 3 will kick off next Monday. This game was pretty interesting, it's boasted as being a pretty rare game, called Crystal of Kings. It's kinda like Golden Axe, but with kinda crappy 3D models.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TySeJPsBgaY

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
That reminded of me that Golden Axe game where you could play a centaur lady. I thought that was really cool, hadn't seen a quadruped character in a beat'em up game before that.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you
Request time: I'd love to see you guys take a crack at the weird Spider-man arcade game from 91 where you play as Spider-man, Black Cat, Hawkeye, or loving Namor for some reason.

Please be sure to include the title screen where a woman announces SPIDER-MAN every time you buy a credit.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Everything I have ever believed about the nature of reality is a lie.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Part 2 of "Crystal of Kings".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJgDdXiCa98

I actually forgot this was a five parter, so we'll probably just put up the final part on Friday along with part 4, since we start the new "season" next Monday.

What is it with these types of games seeming somewhat innocent and then slowly devolving into hellscapes?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I'm amused how you never quite seemed to get the idea that breaking torches caused them to spill fire on the ground. :v:

Also, I think the Square-Enix game you mentioned is Gunslinger Stratos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIGmphBOFc8

(And boy howdy is that an unfortunate video thumbnail.)

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

Zanzibar Ham posted:

That reminded of me that Golden Axe game where you could play a centaur lady. I thought that was really cool, hadn't seen a quadruped character in a beat'em up game before that.

For a second I thought you meant that PS2 remake with the lady with the painted face. You know, the one everyone hated because it was lame and generic. But I'm not sure which one you mean; was it 3?

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Everything I have ever believed about the nature of reality is a lie.

Indeed. The main reason I could never get that good at Tetris is if I play too long the shapes get burned into my vision and that is the path to madness. That, Katamari Damacy and Splatoon are the only games that I get that from for some reason. Must be all the colors.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Looking a bit, it seems to have been called Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder. It was for the arcade.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Well, my bad everyone I forgot to put up the episode from yesterday so here's FOUR episodes for your viewing pleasure.

Crystal of Kings Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgVXmOpk9TM

Crystal of Kings Part 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj_fEO-Apx8

Crystal of Kings Part 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve3LBTCp7EM

We also did a guest spot on another channel where we played Broforce, it came out pretty well I think. They'll be on our channel next week, so check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CghpP352G7Q

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Were you doing your laundry or something during the last few episodes? There was a noise a lot like something clanking in a dryer in the background audio.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Kinda sad there's no more Crystal of Kings. You guys seem to get into beat 'em ups pretty well. Barring 2 Crude Dudes, of course.

On an unrelated note, I recently came across a mid-80's DataEast FMV game called "Road Blaster" that might be worth looking at. It's really quite bad, but if you're good at it, it rewards you with animes exploding.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Kinda sad there's no more Crystal of Kings. You guys seem to get into beat 'em ups pretty well. Barring 2 Crude Dudes, of course.

On an unrelated note, I recently came across a mid-80's DataEast FMV game called "Road Blaster" that might be worth looking at. It's really quite bad, but if you're good at it, it rewards you with animes exploding.

Heh, glad you liked it. We're trying to stop spreading out the longer series since it would probably be boring to come look for our stuff and only see like 2-3 games for an entire month. I know most Let's Play shows do that, but we're different dammit!

I'm definitely gonna add that to the list. I like that Data East is our "thing", kinda like how LJN is the Angry Video Game Nerd's thing. Except he loves to hate all the LJN stuff, we love to love Data East. Speaking of which, we start new stuff tomorrow, and boy did we find some loving Data East treasures in there.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

On an unrelated note, I recently came across a mid-80's DataEast FMV game called "Road Blaster" that might be worth looking at.

Huh. Thought you were talking about RoadBlasters, got confused. Thinking of FMV games, though, makes me wonder if I still have those interactive DVDs of Don Bluth's laserdisc games. I'll have to check.

Lemma
Aug 18, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

Were you doing your laundry or something during the last few episodes? There was a noise a lot like something clanking in a dryer in the background audio.

I believe there was a drier conspiring to unmake us, yes. You can hear the buzzer go off like 60 times late into the Deathsmiles LP; we sublimate it as a "bad joke buzzer" but god why does it even go off so many times before it's done? Even if we weren't recording stuff it seems designed specifically to annoy.

Anyway in the upcoming session we figure out new settings that are much better at blocking out background noise, which is fortunate because one of our recording days was apparently statewide leafblower awareness month in Florida.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

FredMSloniker posted:

Huh. Thought you were talking about RoadBlasters, got confused. Thinking of FMV games, though, makes me wonder if I still have those interactive DVDs of Don Bluth's laserdisc games. I'll have to check.

Wow, that seems like lawsuit territory. You know, back in the 80's. If anyone cared about videogames in the 80's.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
Alright, we're starting off "season 3" or "session 3" depending on who says it, and starting it off with a Neo Geo classic, "Metal Slug". We actually tried playing Metal Slug 3 last time around, but god drat is that game just relentless. We also went ahead and did this with the same folks we did with Bro Force. Keith also seemed to try and make it a point to stun our first ever guests into silence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6di6IUDTrnM

We also made the opening much prettier, and we're gonna have a new "Video type" this time that's under the MCIHAD show, but instead of doing full dollars, we do much less, since we were trying to have shorter series this time around. So hope you guys enjoy the new stuff. Trying to make it look nicer, and all.

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem
It's Wednesday, and we got a new episode out with a slightly different format. For some older arcade games with nothing much to them, we decided to do a "Head to Head" style where we compete for the highest score. What better way to start this off than with doing Pacman?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMUxPZvYd3k

AMovieReference fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMovieReference
Aug 20, 2015

cool arcade gaem

FredMSloniker posted:

You know, I was actually considering the other day throwing Dragon's Lair 2 on the list, but I have no idea if:

a) It would be any good.
b) If we could even get very far.
c) Whoever was playing it would be able to say anything at all, since it requires so much concentration.

I imagine if it was done, it would be peanut gallery conversation with someone trying to play through the game. I also say Dragon's Lair 2, because that one isn't randomly generated like the first one is. It's still gently caress hard, but in general it's better made and easier for a new player to understand what the hell is happening.

• Locked thread