Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

klen dool posted:

"transgender activist who goes by the gender-neutral pronoun "they"" - how is any of that relevant?!?!

Edit: gently caress the police.

It isn't, which is what Scout + some other trans people I follow on twitter were bitching about.

Well that and the whole police intimidation thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
I could see the herald being called insensitive if they'd called a transperson "they" without explanation :shrug:

klen dool posted:

gently caress the police.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Exclamation Marx posted:

I could see the herald being called insensitive if they'd called a transperson "they" without explanation :shrug:

I haven't seen anyone making that criticism about 3 news, radionz and stuff.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Exclamation Marx posted:

That would be a valid point if the Herald at any point used the word "they" in the article other than in that instance, or if "they" were an unusual gender-neutral pronoun in this country.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Or unusual at all

People say "they said" all the time to refer to one person!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I like how the second paragraph and the photo caption are the exact same thing.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

klen dool posted:

"transgender activist who goes by the gender-neutral pronoun "they"" - how is any of that relevant?!?!

Edit: gently caress the police.

It's relevant if they want middle ennzud to believe that kid deserved being hassled by the police for no apparent reason.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

So, Richie McCaw or Louise Nicholas for NZer of the year?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Richie. Rugby over all, maaaaaaate.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
there's only been one woman who's won, so take a wild stab in the dark

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/grateful-refugees-welcomed-to-aotearoa-that-powhiri-had-something-magic-about-it

Nowhere near enough, obviously, but this is :unsmith: as hell

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
May they stay safe, secure and ever-welcome.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/news/article.cfm?c_id=280&objectid=11582567

I'm quite pleased Labour has started making bold policy announcements, even if they're going to be greeted by complete derision from most of the electorate, it seems?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Depends how they're getting the money to pay for it. They'll face that argument that free university uses poor people's tax money to educate people already at an advantage

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Use money earmarked by the government for tax cuts, according to the article.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

How are they going to win the election without using tax cuts to buy it?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hey yo chopper asked how they're getting money not 'does their plan make sense' or any election winning nonsense :colbert:

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
We really need a higher income tax bracket. The highest being 33% on income above $70k is atrocious.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yeah and considering that's only 3% higher than the bracket from 48k-70k its doubly ridiculous.

Labour could pay for half of this tertiary plan by making a 40% tax on income over $150k, and if would only impact 1% of the country.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
Dear god I've been forced to catch snippets of Paul Henry this morning, the man is a loving irredeemable moron. Going on and on about how unfair this free education thing would be to people who have already studied, making them second class citizens. He had Andrew Little on and just didn't listen to a word he said and kept making the same stupid arguments both to him and after he left. Then just random racism, direct quote being:
"You should have just pretended to not be able to speak english, that's what those people do. It's like "Could you please fill out this form?" "Hurro?"

loving hell I want to die

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

But making people borrow in the first place when their parents had it funded wasn't unfair because ???

this proposed change isn't totally 100% perfect I guess we'd better just do nothing at all until we can solve all our problems at once for ever

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

mirthdefect posted:

But making people borrow in the first place when their parents had it funded wasn't unfair because ???

this proposed change isn't totally 100% perfect I guess we'd better just do nothing at all until we can solve all our problems at once for ever

It's up to the poor people to change things for themselves im(s)o.
If only they just stopped smoking and/or drinking all week they would be able to afford the same education for their kids and themselves, while also working full time for minimum wage.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
The concept of trying to leave a better future for the next generation, or hell even an equivalent future in this case, is oppressive to my individualistic man feelings

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Paul Henry in the early 1900s. What the gently caress, we can't make child labour laws, I'M not a child anymore, this is making me a second class citizen!

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

You really have to be such a literal baby to whine about this poo poo. "How come that kid gets all those toys and breast milk and diaper changes while here I am working and going to the toilet by myself like some kind of chump?"

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

He's just saying what we're all thinking

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Cause all of us are stupid baby men who cut through the nonsense of complex thoughts and ideas with straight talk no bullshit anti pc real person questions about whether we can really afford to not be a bunch of rear end in a top hat pieces of poo poo and are we punishing success?

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

PS: gently caress asians

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Maybe if you went out and killed paul henry instead of just smoking and posting in threads all day you wouldn't be poor.

No work ethic.

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
Have you tried not listening to Paul Henry?

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006
When did universities start hiking their fees? He would have probably been in the age group that benefited from free / low fee uni education no?

I like how this will be something some of my family will be against when I know they had free (or nearly free) tertiary education.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Vagina Jones posted:

When did universities start hiking their fees? He would have probably been in the age group that benefited from free / low fee uni education no?

I like how this will be something some of my family will be against when I know they had free (or nearly free) tertiary education.

It has been steadily increasing, but IIRC, tertiary education fees became a thing in the 70s. Or at least legal barriers for universities to crank them up were removed under Muldoon.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Robo Captain posted:

Have you tried not listening to Paul Henry?

Yes that is what I normally do

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
Fees were a flat rate of about $130 in 1989 and in 1990 Labour raised it to $1250. The next year National removed the flat rate and let universities set their own fees and the inivisible hand has been doing its thing ever since.

Binkenstein
Jan 18, 2010

I like how Steven Joyce responded on twitter with this gem: https://twitter.com/stevenljoyce/status/693599415399919616

"Labour more desperate than we all thought. Stealing massively expensive InternetMana policy on "free tertiary education" from last election"

While at the same time Stuff comes out with "The Art of the U-Turn" showing when National adopted a number of large policies http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...m-national-ones

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

Vagina Jones posted:

Dared to have a conversation about this with a colleague today who's about that age. She thinks it's unfair for her taxes to pay for people to get free university because you don't need a degree to work in our field and if "we didn't benefit from the system, why should we have to pay for it." :psyduck:

So essentially, people don't deserve free or low-cost education because when she had the option, she chose no to take it...? Ok cool.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
"Oh no please don't give me a pension, it's unfair for the people not using it to pay for me" - something these idiots will not be saying in 5-10 years.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

fong posted:

Depends how they're getting the money to pay for it. They'll face that argument that free university uses poor people's tax money to educate people already at an advantage

That's a loving dumb argument, but that doesn't mean it wont be used. It implies that rich people don't pay tax, it ignores the fact that mass higher education has the effect of flattening wealth distribution (meaning no more truly rich people), and implies that poor people wont go to uni.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Have they given any details on what will/won't be covered?

I'm assuming it's only course fees, and that allowances & loans would still be available for living costs/textbooks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

klen dool posted:

That's a loving dumb argument, but that doesn't mean it wont be used. It implies that rich people don't pay tax, it ignores the fact that mass higher education has the effect of flattening wealth distribution (meaning no more truly rich people), and implies that poor people wont go to uni.

I think they've sidestepped the 'poor people's tax monies are paying for middle class education' by including more forms of tertiary education than university, ie. apprenticeships.

• Locked thread