Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

Got anything for a lightweight Diablolike with a more modern UI that can fit on a 4GB USB drive?

Maybe Fate: Undiscovered Realms? I'm not sure how big it is on a HD but it's definitely a Diablolike and the original Fate is actually the precursor to Torchlight iirc. The art style is a little kiddy but back when I first played it I found the gameplay pretty dang solid.

E: Just realized Fate: The Traitor Soul is the newest one in the series, and it'll run you $7.99 US and is only 400MBs.

Phetz fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Yoshi Jjang posted:

I remember playing Castlevania: Symphony of the Night for the first time, and being completely awestruck by the inverted Dracula's Castle. Just when I thought I had the game beat, I was instead only halfway there! :aaa:

Are there other games that do this? Just think you've reached the end, only to find out that there's holy crap so much game left? Although asking for it will probably ruin the surprise, but oh well. Just don't say when the reveal happens, I guess.

Bravely Default, Metroid: Zero Mission, and Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver all do this to various extents.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Phetz posted:

Maybe Fate: Undiscovered Realms? I'm not sure how big it is on a HD but it's definitely a Diablolike and the original Fate is actually the precursor to Torchlight iirc. The art style is a little kiddy but back when I first played it I found the gameplay pretty dang solid.

E: Just realized Fate: The Traitor Soul is the newest one in the series, and it'll run you $7.99 US and is only 400MBs.

Maybe I'll check that out, I did like Fate wayyyy back in the day.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

spasticColon posted:

What's a good multiplayer FPS on PC that people are actually playing and isn't Call of Duty or Counterstrike?

Vermintide if you want something different.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

spasticColon posted:

What's a good multiplayer FPS on PC that people are actually playing and isn't Call of Duty or Counterstrike?

Team Fortress 2
Dirty Bomb
R6: Siege
SW: Battlefront
Planetside 2
Rust
War Thunder tank mode?

What kind of game are you looking for? Do you want a CoD that isn't a CoD?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Team Fortress 2
Dirty Bomb
R6: Siege
SW: Battlefront
Planetside 2
Rust
War Thunder tank mode?

What kind of game are you looking for? Do you want a CoD that isn't a CoD?

I was thinking something along the lines of Unreal Tournament or Quake.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

spasticColon posted:

Unfortunately there's not much out there for arena shooters right now. UT4 is in what seems like an eternal alpha, some people still play Quake Live I think, there is a spiritual successor to Quake 3 CPMA in early access called Reflex but not many play it, and HiRez recently tried patching Tribes: Ascend to breath some life into it but they seem to just be chasing their tail with that. So join the club of people jonesing for a new arena shooter I guess.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

There was Loadout but that kinda petered out sadly.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

spasticColon posted:

The popularization of gamepads pretty much killed FPSes with good design principles since the mid-2000s, sadly.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The popularization of gamepads pretty much killed FPSes with good design principles since the mid-2000s, sadly.

Doom can be played on a gamepad with zero downsides.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Doom can be played on a gamepad with zero downsides.

Doom predates mouselook, and is mostly remembered for its singleplayer in any case. I know we've had this exact argument before, and Doom's still a non-sequitur.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Gamepads becoming a normal thing for PC gaming happened so subtly that I feel like I woke up one day in The Twilight Zone. Console and PC gaming coexisted with the different peripherals for so long, and I still have no idea what changed that made people want to make the change on PC.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The arena shooter gave out to team vs team deathmatch and capture-the-whatever. And even then, in 16 plus years the only games like Quake and Unreal Tournament were Quake and Unreal Tournament so yes, you'll be hard pressed to find an exact replacement.

Quake Live seems to have a decent number of people playing on Steam but I couldn't tell you anything more about that game. Unreal Tournament (2014) is in some kind of playable alpha state with frequent updates but again, I can't comment on the game itself. And Ghost in the Shell has gotten generally positive reception although that game looks Call of Duty as hell.

Seashell Salesman posted:

Gamepads becoming a normal thing for PC gaming happened so subtly that I feel like I woke up one day in The Twilight Zone. Console and PC gaming coexisted with the different peripherals for so long, and I still have no idea what changed that made people want to make the change on PC.

The Xbox 360 controller integrating flawlessly helped. One controller to rule them all instead of 3000 different drivers simulating the keyboard.

But there was never really a change. Think about your favorite PC games from the 90s and they probably supported gamepads unless they were mouse integral like point and clicks and RTS. PCs used to come with them. Buy a gamepad and get Jazz Jackrabbit for free and all that.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 29, 2016

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Seashell Salesman posted:

Ports became more common, Microsoft got into the console business, and some types of games just work better with controllers (which is related to but not quite the same as point 1).

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Uhh, I thought everyone just used one of these???

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Not a specific recommendation, but does anyone have some insight on the up-and-coming indie games that are out but still in early development? All the big ones, like Kerbal, I hear about really late. I'm kind of out of the loop.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Danger Mahoney posted:

Not a specific recommendation, but does anyone have some insight on the up-and-coming indie games that are out but still in early development? All the big ones, like Kerbal, I hear about really late. I'm kind of out of the loop.

Darkest Dungeon just came out of Early Access and it's fantastic. As for stuff still in it - I hear good things about ARK and Subtautica and Grim Dawn but haven't played myself. I hear terrible things about Starbound by contrast. Fractured Space is free if you grab it now. And then there's Dog Sleg Saga, which looks adorable, and I intend to pick it up one of these days.

There's a whole mess of Early Access games out there, so you might want to be more specific?

edit: I'd be remiss in mentioning that the roguelikes thread loves Caves of Qud, so if roguelikes are you bag, check that one out!

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 29, 2016

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Broforce was also a successful EA game that was fully released a few months ago.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Jehde posted:

UT4 is in what seems like an eternal alpha

It's good though! Kind of low on players in the US compared to the EU from what I've heard, and most of the maps have placeholder graphics, but it's Unreal Tournament through and through.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

spasticColon posted:

Tribes: Ascend might be good for you, although I'm not sure what the population is anymore

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I only play on PC, Love Borderlands but burned out on it. I'd love a loot based FPS game! Firefall is out cause the developers are poo poo and the game will be dead in a few months and I wasn't a fan of how grindy Warframe was. Are there any games left on PC that would scratch this itch of mine?

Edit: I've also played the hell out of both Payday games and I'm waiting for Vermintide to fix some of its problems before I jump on board.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mr Scumbag posted:

I only play on PC, Love Borderlands but burned out on it. I'd love a loot based FPS game! Firefall is out cause the developers are poo poo and the game will be dead in a few months and I wasn't a fan of how grindy Warframe was. Are there any games left on PC that would scratch this itch of mine?

Edit: I've also played the hell out of both Payday games and I'm waiting for Vermintide to fix some of its problems before I jump on board.

To be honest I don't know how loot-based it is since I haven't actually played it, but have you looked at Killing Floor 2? I bring it up just because it's along the same lines as Payday.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

To be honest I don't know how loot-based it is since I haven't actually played it, but have you looked at Killing Floor 2? I bring it up just because it's along the same lines as Payday.

It is not loot based any more than something like Counterstrike would be.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Mr Scumbag posted:

Supposedly The Division will be like this, even though it's Third Person. Other than that, Dying Light?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I've never played any of the Fallout games, and want to give them a whirl. Looking at the Steam catalog, which one should I start with?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Hughmoris posted:

I've never played any of the Fallout games, and want to give them a whirl. Looking at the Steam catalog, which one should I start with?
Depends, how are willing are you to forgive janky old WRPG combat? Because that's what you will be getting with 1 and 2. I couldn't stand either.

3 and New Vegas are more shooters than the first two games, New Vegas being the better of the two with better mission design, writing, and roleplaying. 3 is still good though.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Accordion Man posted:

Depends, how are willing are you to forgive janky old WRPG combat? Because that's what you will be getting with 1 and 2. I couldn't stand either.

3 and New Vegas are more shooters than the first two games, New Vegas being the better of the two with better mission design, writing, and roleplaying. 3 is still good though.

Is one a sequel of the other, or are they stand-alone?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

Is one a sequel of the other, or are they stand-alone?

All of the Fallout games involve different protagonists, generally operating in different parts of the country and sometimes centuries apart. There are lots of easter egg-type references between the games but you shouldn't be missing out on anything directly plot-relevant.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Hughmoris posted:

1 and 2 are the old school RPGs with great writing, turn based combat, and a fair amount of jank. Both classics, though. 3 and New Vegas are the modern ones. Bethesda made 3; Obsidian made New Vegas using Fallout 3's engine and art assets, making both look and play very similar. Most goons would agree that New Vegas is better written, has more gameplay variety, and has slightly better graphics--in fact, a goon (ropekid aka J Sawyer) was the lead designer for New Vegas. It's overall a refinement on Fallout 3. However, I have a soft spot in my heart for Fallout 3 and consider it a very good game.

The problem is that it would be very frustrating to go back to Fallout 3 after playing New Vegas. There's a bunch of quality of life stuff. If you want to play 3, you have 2 options. Play it before NV, or install the Tale of Two Wastelands mod and play both at the same time with the same character.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Have you ever played a Bethesda game like Oblivion and Skyrim? Fallout 3 would be really easy to jump in.

New Vegas is open world but more contained by leveled encounters patrolling off the main paths. It stands on its own and I think it's better than Fallout 3 but it's a little harder to get into and has a larger hurdle starting off.

Fallout 1 and 2 are great but if you have zero experience playing 90s computer RPGs you will probably hate every second. They're well designed games and let you overcome their challenges in surprising ways but they move at a snail's pace.

If you have zero experience with Fallout and Bethesda games I'd just get Fallout 4, it's probably the easiest jumping in point as an outsider.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Hughmoris posted:

Probably New Vegas. There are bound to be some expansions to 4 released this year. There's a New Vegas thread here somewhere.

If you like older WRPGs 2 is amazing.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah it might be a bit hard to wrap your head around if you've never messing with modding a Bethesda game before, but the two wastelands mod is by far the better way to play Fallout 3.

Alternatively, there's no reason not to just jump right in to Fallout 4. None of the games require having played the earlier ones to really understand what's going on.

As mentioned before though, Fallout 1, 2, and tactics have a radically different style of gameplay to 3, 4, and New Vegas. So it really depends whether you're more interested in a turn-based, story driven isometric RPG, or a first-person-shooter-esque exploration focused game.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Play Fallout 4. If you like it a lot, play Fallout New Vegas. If you find yourself liking the story a whole bunch and want more of that, play Fallout 1 and 2. Only play Fallout 3 if you find yourself rocking back and forth itching for more

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

signalnoise posted:

Play Fallout 4. If you like it a lot, play Fallout New Vegas. If you find yourself liking the story a whole bunch and want more of that, play Fallout 1 and 2. Only play Fallout 3 if you find yourself rocking back and forth itching for more

New Vegas is only good if you like poo poo design and cover for it calling it "the classic rpg experience". gently caress Cazadores. If all Obsidian did was make quests, they'd make a great Fallout game.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
I want a criminal empire management game so fuckin' bad. Liberal Crime Squad gives you a taste of it (Storefronts, hiring armed goons, selling drugs, safe houses etc) but I can't find much else to scratch the itch. I've heard of Gangsters: Organized crime but I hear its impossible to play without getting a degree in it. Also OMERTA sucks.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

New Vegas is only good if you like poo poo design

Could be that people disagree with you on what is good/poo poo design?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

New Vegas is only good if you like poo poo design and cover for it calling it "the classic rpg experience". gently caress Cazadores. If all Obsidian did was make quests, they'd make a great Fallout game.

New Vegas is good if you don't run off like a dipshit and only go places where you have a reason to go and aren't "straight to Vegas" since that's... impractical. That's why I didn't really like it the first time I played it, as Fallout 3 had recently instilled in me a strong desire to run off like a dipshit. Cazadores are an awkward way to railroad you but as long as you don't try to resist the railroading too hard, New Vegas is a fun time. I paid a man to spread flattering lies about me and ever since then Elvis impersonators flag me down in the street every five minutes to hand me corn.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Slumpy posted:

I want a criminal empire management game so fuckin' bad. Liberal Crime Squad gives you a taste of it (Storefronts, hiring armed goons, selling drugs, safe houses etc) but I can't find much else to scratch the itch. I've heard of Gangsters: Organized crime but I hear its impossible to play without getting a degree in it. Also OMERTA sucks.

The Guild. It's Machiavellian power struggles The Game. You can run a legitimate business, be a corrupt politician or clergyman, or a straight up thief that robs and fucks with guilds.

I haven't played the sequel but The Guild 2 Renaissance is the version to get, for some reason they still sell the base game while Renaissance includes every expansion. And it's currently $2 on GOG.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

I still stand by my progression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I like the cazadores. It gives the game some direction if you need it and a challenge if you don't. It's totally possible to push that way if you really want.

As for which to play, I think I'd recommend New Vegas as the best if you're only going to play one, and NV with Two Wastelands if you're going to go through all the modern ones. 3 honestly feels skippable to me, as basically inferior to NV is every way, although still a decent game. 3 has too many issues that sour the game and 4 is a step backwards in a lot of the ways that made me really love NV, like the whole world and the writing, although the guns bits are better.