Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Chemmy posted:

Those are always on sale on Amazon. If you're leaning imperial yes you can mix old and First Order stuff.

Imperial Aces is great but the best Interceptor pilot comes in the standalone Interceptor expansion. Fixes for the Interceptor come in the Aces box.

And in the slave 1 box, and in the starviper expansion...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I really hope that the next Star Wars episode has some more ships so that Resistance/First Order aren't just Wangs and TIEs

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

I really hope that the next Star Wars episode has some more ships so that Resistance/First Order aren't just Wangs and TIEs

Still waiting on the TIE/SF :negative:

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

They designed a whole bunch of other fighters for TFA (mainly rebel, but a few TIE variants as well), but for some reason chose not to include them. My guess is that they really wanted to convey that the Resistance is a small operation and also to parallel ANH's paucity of fighter types. (Reading the TFA concept art book, it's amazing how many times it is explicitly stated that Abrams wanted to parallel or mirror ANH, initially right down to the opening shot.)

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

kingcom posted:

Still waiting on the TIE/SF :negative:

I wouldn't be surprised actually if FFG realized a little while ago when they first got a hold of all the materials from TFA that they're gonna have to draw out some of the new releases in order to make it to the new material that is sure to be included in Rogue One and that's why they're dragging their feet on releasing Wave 8. They've still got the TIE/sf and/or Resistance and First Order Aces, Kylo's shuttle, Leia's transport, and maybe some other minor stuff, but that's not much.

Of course, they could just release more EU stuff in the mean time as well.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I would like to see that wacky B Wing concept art turned into a Star War

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
If you have R2-D6 and Integrated Astromech and you discard the Astromech to negate a hit, do you lose the Elite talent?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Some Numbers posted:

If you have R2-D6 and Integrated Astromech and you discard the Astromech to negate a hit, do you lose the Elite talent?

No

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
So the guy I've been borrowing Wes Jansen's pilot card, cardboard, and the copy of VI I was using with him demanded his stuff back after I whooped his rear end at the store championship yesterday, so now I need a new list. I'm kicking around another XXX list that I actually own all of the cards for, and came up with this:

XXX - Aces Wild

Wedge Antilles (29) [32]
Predator (3)

Red Ace (29) [36]
R2-D2 (4)
Comm Relay (3)

Blue Ace (27) [32]
R7-T1 (3)
Autothrusters (2)

Total: 100

I agonized over this one, largely because I'm so accustomed to winning the PS battle that this is going to loving suck going first. On the plus side, both of my non-PS 9 pilots have reposition options. Red Ace is a tanky brick that can eat a TLT a round and not give a single poo poo about it, while Blue Ace can maneuver around and use R7-T1 to pull a sick hard boost out of arc at range 1. Wedge is Wedge and eats fools for breakfast. Here's hoping it goes well. I'll be getting some practice tomorrow, and against Wednesday to see if it's viable.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Strobe posted:

So the guy I've been borrowing Wes Jansen's pilot card, cardboard, and the copy of VI I was using with him demanded his stuff back after I whooped his rear end at the store championship yesterday, so now I need a new list.

drat, but Wes specifically was like, your thing! That sucks. If I ever get Rebel Transport, remind me to send you my copy of Wes, as I was given a friend's second (!) copy, myself. Can't let your crazy-yet-effective XXX lists suffer - they bring joy to my shriveled, now-Scum-aligned heart :australia:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Major Isoor posted:

drat, but Wes specifically was like, your thing! That sucks. If I ever get Rebel Transport, remind me to send you my copy of Wes, as I was given a friend's second (!) copy, myself. Can't let your crazy-yet-effective XXX lists suffer - they bring joy to my shriveled, now-Scum-aligned heart :australia:

Hahaha, thanks for the thought. It'll probably be a good idea to diversify at least a little bit. It's still XXX, just with less "gently caress you" on offense and significantly more "gently caress you" on defense. I lost twice yesterday, once to an Echo/Sigma/Palpshuttle list that eventually won the tournament, and then to a bog standard 4x Unhinged TLT that ended up taking 4th. T-70s, and Red/Blue Ace in particular, are much more resilient against that sort of thing.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Strobe posted:

Hahaha, thanks for the thought. It'll probably be a good idea to diversify at least a little bit. It's still XXX, just with less "gently caress you" on offense and significantly more "gently caress you" on defense. I lost twice yesterday, once to an Echo/Sigma/Palpshuttle list that eventually won the tournament, and then to a bog standard 4x Unhinged TLT that ended up taking 4th. T-70s, and Red/Blue Ace in particular, are much more resilient against that sort of thing.

I think I just read about your fight against the Phantoms on Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/XWingTMG/comments/43kpid/batrep_geekery_store_championship_13016/

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Yeah, that's me. It was the most demoralizing way to lose.

EDIT: On the last turn, I rolled hit hit crit against the uncloaked Sigma with one health left. He rolls evade, evade, and has a token. I crumple under return fire. If I had taken out the Sigma, I would have come in 8th instead of 9th and gotten a range ruler. :smith:

Strobe fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 1, 2016

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Strobe posted:

Yeah, that's me. It was the most demoralizing way to lose.

EDIT: On the last turn, I rolled hit hit crit against the uncloaked Sigma with one health left. He rolls evade, evade, and has a token. I crumple under return fire. If I had taken out the Sigma, I would have come in 8th instead of 9th and gotten a range ruler. :smith:

I've had games like that. There's an awful lot of luck involved in X-Wing. Strategy in the game is all about tipping the odds in your favor via abilities, dice modification, and positioning, but in the end, it all comes down to the dice.

Sometimes, you just roll blanks.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I have a second transport. Pay for shipping from Canada, and I'll ship you my 2nd wes cardboard and card. You are on your own for VI tho.

Also, in another fun note, I took the Kavilcade* to a non-official tournament today (I mean no prize kit). And surprisingly, I did pretty well. I would have done better if I hadn;t loving landed on rocks all the drat time. That beings said I kill alot. And realized that Graz is loving terrible and out of my list.

*Kavilkade: Kavil with TLT, VI, Talonbane with space meth, EU, and Pred, Graz with Inertial dampners, and Engine Upgrade.

Some stories.

Round 1, Talonbane One shotting a starviper at R1, then spending 3 turns at R11 pumping shots into a YV-666, and getting one hit per shooting. Even iwth Pred. This was the theme.
Round 2, Talonbane lands on a rock, in range 1 of Soontir, and Turr Phenir, with a Palp Shuttle. I pop space meth and take no damage. gently caress yeah space meth. Kavil kills Turr with TLT over two turns without taking damage. Talonbane bumps Palp Mobile on the side. I correctly predict the Shuttle will do a full stop, so I did the 4k, and over two turns of r1 shots strip the shields, and knock it down to one hull. Kavil the kill stealing jerk finishes it off. Graz died earlier without doing poo poo. Anyways, Kavil and Talonbane pursue Soontir (I am getting good at predicting me enemies moves). 3 turns. R1 shots from Talonbane. One hit each time. Even with re-rolls..... Anyways, he by just the corner of the base flew Soontir off the table.
Round 3. Graz killed something! Graz shot and killed througha rock at range 3 a cloaked Whisper! (Who lost shields and rolled all blanks). Kavil hit a rock, got a crit, which was discard secondary weapon. Talonbane got hit with three crits which were no actions, -1 red dice, -1 green dice. And 5 turns. 5 turns of r1 shooting into another palp mobile, 1 hit per turn.....

Take-aways. One, replace Graz with something better. He just isn't doing much except soaking shots. Maybe with a HWK or some z95s. ( I have 30 points to play with). Two, bring smaller rocks. Three, buy new dice.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Full house of 24 now registered for the Store Champs I'm running next Sat. Gonna misappropriate some work toner and print out raffle tickets, table numbers, and fleet/score sheets. Should be a good time. I've run a bunch of STAW events and feel comfortable with the XWing rules, but I'm a little anxious about being put on the spot for some corner-case interaction and making the wrong ruling.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
While I'm still on the topic of "building new lists with things I own and don't have to borrow", I have this for shits and giggles that I'll probably try at least once just for fun.

Blues Brothers

Blue Ace (27) [28]
R5-X3 (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Blue Squadron Novice (24)

I only have three copies of Integrated Astromech, or you bet your rear end I'd be running four Novices with some kind of 1 point Astro and IA.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

On an aesthetic level, I love the idea of a proper flight of four identical ships, rather than a hodge podge. It appeals to the military sci-fi/USAF TO&E nerd in me. On a practical level this feels BBBBZ'ey, but without the durability.

Do you have just a basic R2 unit? I feel like that would be better than R5-X3 since there's anti-synergy with IA due to being a discard.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Otisburg posted:

On an aesthetic level, I love the idea of a proper flight of four identical ships, rather than a hodge podge. It appeals to the military sci-fi/USAF TO&E nerd in me. On a practical level this feels BBBBZ'ey, but without the durability.

Do you have just a basic R2 unit? I feel like that would be better than R5-X3 since there's anti-synergy with IA due to being a discard.

I'd have left Integrated Astromech off, but it's free, and it's a contingency for if Blue Ace gets focused on before he gets to a place to use it. Otherwise, I'm excitedly looking forward to the turn where I do a hard 2 through an asteroid, and then hard boost through another to end up behind somebody that had no loving clue that was even possible. :v:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Strobe posted:

I'd have left Integrated Astromech off, but it's free, and it's a contingency for if Blue Ace gets focused on before he gets to a place to use it. Otherwise, I'm excitedly looking forward to the turn where I do a hard 2 through an asteroid, and then hard boost through another to end up behind somebody that had no loving clue that was even possible. :v:

It's a shame you can't put unhinged astromech on them. :getin:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
What if the T-65 fix we've been told we're still getting is allowing them to use Salvaged Astromechs? :tinfoil:

EDIT: Wedge with R4-B11 would be loving sick. Give him Predator and watch ships melt.

Strobe fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 1, 2016

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Strobe posted:

While I'm still on the topic of "building new lists with things I own and don't have to borrow", I have this for shits and giggles that I'll probably try at least once just for fun.

Blues Brothers

Blue Ace (27) [28]
R5-X3 (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

I only have three copies of Integrated Astromech, or you bet your rear end I'd be running four Novices with some kind of 1 point Astro and IA.

I dunno exactly what cards you have available, but Poe and Ello, each with VI, autothrusters, and regen droid (R5P9 and R2D2, respectively), is a hell of a strong core for an X-Wing list. You have just enough points left to add a low-end T70, or Biggs if you prefer the T65.

Poe's gonna be Poe. He's super defensive against turrets and at range 3. He's hard to kill without focus firing (or a block) thanks to his ability.

Ello is (arguably) the most dangerous close-range knife-fighter of all Rebel aces. He's exceptionally nasty in a 1on1 scenario, because you simply can't shake him from your tail for any length of time. I'd frankly rather have Soontir on my rear end than Ello.

At PS 9 and 10, respectively, you have a good chance of winning the PS battle with at least one of them, if not both. Both are well-rounded, but have different strengths. Both can regen if they get wounded.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
My list lately has been just that:

Poe with PTL R5-P9 and Autothrusters

Ello with VI, Autothrusters

Red Squad Veteran with Targeting Astro and IA.

I just love those damned T-70s.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

ConfusedUs posted:

I dunno exactly what cards you have available, but Poe and Ello, each with VI, autothrusters, and regen droid (R5P9 and R2D2, respectively), is a hell of a strong core for an X-Wing list. You have just enough points left to add a low-end T70, or Biggs if you prefer the T65.

Poe's gonna be Poe. He's super defensive against turrets and at range 3. He's hard to kill without focus firing (or a block) thanks to his ability.

Ello is (arguably) the most dangerous close-range knife-fighter of all Rebel aces. He's exceptionally nasty in a 1on1 scenario, because you simply can't shake him from your tail for any length of time. I'd frankly rather have Soontir on my rear end than Ello.

At PS 9 and 10, respectively, you have a good chance of winning the PS battle with at least one of them, if not both. Both are well-rounded, but have different strengths. Both can regen if they get wounded.

My personal card collection contains exactly zero copies of VI, and none of the droids or pilots that come in the Rebel Transport. :v:

I honestly dislike the current trend of "two regen aces and a stressbot" that's been burning up the local meta, so I try to avoid the really, really tanky ones. Luke with R2-D2 has been a stable of my XXX list for literally years so I didn't drop him, but I don't actually like running Poe + R5-P9/Red Ace + R2-D2/etc.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Strobe posted:

My personal card collection contains exactly zero copies of VI, and none of the droids or pilots that come in the Rebel Transport. :v:

I honestly dislike the current trend of "two regen aces and a stressbot" that's been burning up the local meta, so I try to avoid the really, really tanky ones. Luke with R2-D2 has been a stable of my XXX list for literally years so I didn't drop him, but I don't actually like running Poe + R5-P9/Red Ace + R2-D2/etc.

I seriously don't get you. The XXX list thing? That I get. But everything else is a total mystery.

You literally had Red Ace + R2D2 + Comm Relay in one of your lists just a few posts up. How are we supposed to know you don't like the concept of regen aces when you give it to us as an example? Did you post it ironically, like some sort of X-Wing hipster?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Whoops, guilty as charged. I have strong feelings about regen aces, but I have equally if not stronger feelings about thematic list building and that list was Rogue/Red/Blue Aces. :v:

I will probably use it at a tournament, and feel dirty the whole day. Running one is bad enough. Running two I just won't do.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I actually hope I can get some practice against stress regen XXY with my VI Vader + Mini Swarm. In theory, Mini Swarm doesn't really care a whole ton if you load it up with stress, and Vader can out-dodge Poe and whittle them down while the Mini Swarm deals with the Y and then whatever's left of it links up to help block and chip away. ...In theory!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I had a good teaching session last week with Luke and 2 more X-Wings Vs 3 TIEs and Vader, without any asteroids or upgrades. We're having a second round in a couple of days, and I want to introduce new mechanics, like bigger ships, or upgrades without complicating things too much (cloaking, for example). I don't care if the lists aren't optimized, I'm more worried about both of them being fun to fly. Using the Falcon for flavour, getting some big ships on the board and including different playstyles (jousting, arc dodging...) is a plus.

Rebel:

Han Solo (46) [56]
Chewbacca (4)
Gunner (5)
Millennium Falcon (1)

Blue Squadron Pilot (22)

Blue Squadron Pilot (22)

In theory, a big slab of HP and shields, the Falcon not worrying much about positioning, and the tip with the B-Wings being "point them at the enemy, then turn around and do it again". Hard to mess up. I could drop the Gunner in favour of C3-PO, but I worry that it will be way too much mitigation, specially if he ends up playing the Empire. I could also cut Chewie and the Title in exchange for Advanced Sensors in the B-Wings, which will give the list some mobility and reduce the number of things to remember. Han is there because he likes to roll dice :3:

Empire:

Howlrunner (18)
4xAcademy Pilot (48)
Carnor Jax (25) [34]
Royal Guard (0)
PTL (3)
Autothrusters (2)
Stealth Device (3)

Swarms and a big jerk. I'm missing one point here to swap it for an even bigger jerk. In this case the inefficiency comes from both of us being rubbish with swarms.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Feb 1, 2016

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Strobe posted:

Whoops, guilty as charged. I have strong feelings about regen aces, but I have equally if not stronger feelings about thematic list building and that list was Rogue/Red/Blue Aces. :v:

I will probably use it at a tournament, and feel dirty the whole day. Running one is bad enough. Running two I just won't do.

I felt a little dirty when I demolished Wedge, Wes, and Luke with Han and Miranda because that list's theory is interesting but it never ends up where Wes, Wedge, and Luke can all shoot at the same guy, at least not against lists that have a lot of movement. Wes and Wedge barely got to shoot. Oddly enough, Luke died first because he was the first one I could focus fire.

He was pretty fortunate to get half of Han.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I would like to see that wacky B Wing concept art turned into a Star War

Huh, so that's where the second cockpit on the B-Wing Prototype from Rebels came from.

I'm guessing we an expect that as a expansion at some point.

Kill_Discussion
Dec 15, 2005

Just watch it...

StashAugustine posted:

How big is the Vassal online play scene for X-Wing? Is it possible to get pick-up games?

X-wing is by far the largest Vassal community. Weeknights during prime time there can be upwards of 50 players these days due to the X-Wing Vassal league that just kicked off. You can usually find someone looking to play within 5-10 mins.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Kill_Discussion posted:

X-wing is by far the largest Vassal community. Weeknights during prime time there can be upwards of 50 players these days due to the X-Wing Vassal league that just kicked off. You can usually find someone looking to play within 5-10 mins.

Would it be dumb to set up a little goon Vassal night or have a little mini-tournament for just people who post (or lurk) this thread? Maybe set up a challonge bracket or something.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I mostly lurk, but I'd be down for playing in/setting up a game-or-two-a-week league if there was enough interest. Between regulars and lurkers we'd probably have enough people, though scheduling games with people in different continents may be a challenge.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I've tried Vassal like three times, and it's just an incomprehensible mess. There's not a learning curve; it's a drat vertical cliff.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

Huh, so that's where the second cockpit on the B-Wing Prototype from Rebels came from.

I'm guessing we an expect that as a expansion at some point.

It's already represented by the B-wing modification that puts in a crew :v:

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Admiral Joeslop posted:

From what I remember, the second cockpit appeared sometime in the EU way before Rebels. It's also already represented by the B-wing modification that puts in a crew :v:

I thought the E2 mod just made it a two-seat, single-cockpit, like they do on some of the modern fighter jets that have a two-seater variant for training.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ConfusedUs posted:

I've tried Vassal like three times, and it's just an incomprehensible mess. There's not a learning curve; it's a drat vertical cliff.

I don't like using it either but it's a good way for me to play with friends back home when I'm in school. I don't know any shortcuts so I just right click everything. Takes longer but eh

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Also a reminder that nova open registration starts tonight. Spots for X wangs fills up fast.

http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/novasquadron/afm-articles/afm-news/nova-open-2016-registration-opens-tonight-do-not-miss-out-r262/

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Took me forever to figure out that I could just right-click a ship, and execute a maneuver. Before that I placed a template, used SHIFT-ARROW to get it lined up, then pick up the ship and drag it over, rotate it and SHIFT-ARROW some more to line it up on the other end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

It's already represented by the B-wing modification that puts in a crew :v:

But does that modified B-wing have a mini Death Star laser??? I rest my case.

• Locked thread