Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
I hope it has an suicide R/B archetype like MM15 did. Drafting that never got old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

End of Life Guy posted:

I hope it has an suicide R/B archetype like MM15 did. Drafting that never got old.

Sui black/BW when I opened something insane like a 'Geddon or a Balance was the only archetype I could ever get to work in VMA.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

suicidesteve posted:

Sui black/BW when I opened something insane like a 'Geddon or a Balance was the only archetype I could ever get to work in VMA.

I did whatever the archetype was that involved Battle Screech.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

All that old art still has royalties right? That would probably rule it out.

Yes. I remember listening to brainstorm Brewery Jason alt was a big proponent of WotC reprinting birds of paradise with the original art which was a dumb idea because of those royalty payments. They're not going to do original art stuff like that outside of from the vaults or maybe judge foils because they don't want to do royalty payments.

7th editions big thing was "all new art for everything!" That was just to wipe away the last art they had to pay royalties on.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

"Lets Pickleyselfost=" 479432" posted:

Watching replay of a draft at GP Vancouver, looks like the colorless producing lands from Oath are even higher picks than I predicted. It seems like if you have any plans that involve using colorless mana you should take them over everything but top-tier removal and bombs. It's kind of annoying because it makes it very hard to tell what color the people next to you are in.

Yea the payoffs for colorless mana are huge and the creatures at common are extremely mediocre. No reason to take a 2/4 when you can take a land and stay open. As far as signaling goes, who cares what color your neighbor is? Just draft lands yourself and play 3 colors so it doesn't matter if one of them wasn't open.

Pro Drafting Tip: The tapped duals are high picks as well. They don't tap for colorless but they let you play more colorless lands without missing your colors.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
There is no goddamn way that they're removing the reserved list this abruptly

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Me, hoping for vintage masters so I can have more FOWs: Please be uncommon, but more importantly, please be goatse art :pray:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Chill la Chill posted:

please be goatse art :pray:

What?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'm going to assume that means the Alliances art.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Pretty sure we established in this thread years ago that many of us would love to have a reprint of Goyf, wasteland, FoW, and other notable staples with goatse art.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Chill la Chill posted:

Pretty sure we established in this thread years ago that many of us would love to have a reprint of Goyf, wasteland, FoW, and other notable staples with goatse art.

This is true. It has been established.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Angry Grimace posted:

I did whatever the archetype was that involved Battle Screech.

He's in jail so it's not too likely you will see him for awhile

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

GeneX posted:

Doing that would make no sense and would be the worst possible way to handle the situation. In other words, it's something I could easily see Wizards doing.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GeneX posted:

Your definition of abruptly is strange as gently caress. The reserved list is more than a decade old and its be discussed by everyone associated with wotc for almost as long.

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

Doing that would make no sense and would be the worst possible way to handle the situation. In other words, it's something I could easily see Wizards doing.

What would be a better way?

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Lets Pickle posted:

Watching replay of a draft at GP Vancouver, looks like the colorless producing lands from Oath are even higher picks than I predicted. It seems like if you have any plans that involve using colorless mana you should take them over everything but top-tier removal and bombs. It's kind of annoying because it makes it very hard to tell what color the people next to you are in.

As a counterpoint to this, however, I got my rear end handed to me in a draft last night by a deck with very little colorless, but had 2 Allied Reinforcements, 2 Make a stand, 2 Gideon's Reproach, and a bunch of Support. I had a very good B/W lifegain deck with 2 Cliffhaven Vampires, Ayli, Drana's Emissary, etc. but I was on the back foot every time she cast Allied Reinforcements, and I could just never block her creatures ever because she always had tricks.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sickening posted:

What would be a better way?

"In 3 years we'll be removing the reserve list. Sell your Farmsteads now."

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Rumours swirling about a big announcement coming this week or at the PT, potentially abolishing the reserved list and an eternal masters set.

Jaded as I am I would still buy a tonne haha.

If there's a "big announcement" coming, there's no way it will be anything more dramatic than "Modern Masters 2016 with Snapcaster and Lili reprints :geno:"

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The reserve list will be removed, power and duals will be handed out to anyone who can track down and kill judges who failed to report leaks about the reserve list being removed.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I think it is stupid, but I can't help but feel good that my Magic collection has jumped by about 10-15% just in the last three weeks.

That is all.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Entropic posted:

If there's a "big announcement" coming, there's no way it will be anything more dramatic than "Modern Masters 2016 with Snapcaster and Lili reprints :geno:"

Snapcaster will be mythic because of course it will

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Reserved list not removed, Special Rarity from VMA added to the normal game, a new Elvish Mystic printed with a different name and only at Special Rarity

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Lol at everyone who is excited about the opportunity to pay 25$ for a bunch of limited fodder and dual lands at super-ultra-mythic rare

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I wish they would do either a set that is entirely for reprinting cards or a set for drafting that happens to have chase rares instead of getting premium fancy packs that contain garbage that no one wants because you can also draft with them.

You can still get conspiracy at 94 bucks a box.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

Special Rarity from VMA added to the normal game

They already just did that.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Entropic posted:

They already just did that.

It's not really the same thing though. The Expeditions are (ideally) meant to be super-premium versions that can coexist with a regular version for people who don't want to take out a new mortgage. It's harder to see since a lot of the expeditions are cards they've been dragging their rear end on reprinting in non-expedition versions, so e.g. the normal Scalding Tarn isn't seeing any help anytime soon, but if you just take something like the bofalands, you have the $50 moneybags version and the functionally equivalent $5 version, which is exactly the way the "collectible" side of Magic ought to be reconciling itself with the "is actually a playable game" side. We can only loving wish they did the same thing with Tarmogoyf or whatever.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Angry Grimace posted:

Reserved list not removed, Special Rarity from VMA added to the normal game, a new Elvish Mystic printed with a different name and only at Special Rarity

C-Euro posted:

Also you know that a paper Vintage/Eternal Masters would just be an excuse for them to make the Ultra Mythic Rare rarity from online VMA a paper reality. They already tested those waters with Expeditions, wake up sheeple!

My man :respek:

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
mmmm, can't wait to pay $300 for a box of Eternal Masters

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

It makes me sad knowing how much better my mono-black Eldrazi deck would be if Inverter of Truth wasn't garbage that instantly kills you when it eats a Murderous Cut

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Angry Grimace posted:

It makes me sad knowing how much better my mono-black Eldrazi deck would be if Inverter of Truth wasn't garbage that instantly kills you when it eats a Murderous Cut

That's why it's the Inverter of Truth.

Instead of "Creature Dies to Removal", we get "You die to Removal."

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
yeah I'm getting out of paper magic before there's nothing left but broken people playing

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
With this many copies of Reflector Mage in day 2 who thinks it spikes to Swiftspear levels?

I say this because they are 70 cents right now and ere are hundreds of them. Get yours now.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

OfChristandMen posted:

That's why it's the Inverter of Truth.

Instead of "Creature Dies to Removal", we get "You die to Removal."

I feel like Erebo's Titan is a card I could play but its actually pretty hard to get 1BBB even in "mono" black unless I started cutting colorless sources. I like Kalitas but goddamn does he eat poo poo way too often to get much more value than "traded for an opponent's card and mana."

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Four Score posted:

yeah I'm getting out of paper magic before there's nothing left but broken people playing

Because yeah... that online magic makes more sense. :jerkbag:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Modo is free and convenient

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

With this many copies of Reflector Mage in day 2 who thinks it spikes to Swiftspear levels?

I say this because they are 70 cents right now and ere are hundreds of them. Get yours now.

Well, okay, but I only need one for my Cube.

rabidsquid posted:

Modo is free and convenient

Hahahaha, no it's not.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

Because yeah... that online magic makes more sense. :jerkbag:

there are idiots willing to pay thousands of dollars for my cardboard, my pixels are only worth a hundred at most

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It's not becoming an eternal staple, I don't think.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I like that Ryan Overturf says what I'm thinking wrt Elvish Visionary

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Some Numbers posted:

Well, okay, but I only need one for my Cube.

Hahahaha, no it's not.

Which part is it not??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

Which part is it not??

It's kind of by definition not free.

• Locked thread