Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

This thread seems to have died. Is it safe to assume, judging by the low number of daily posts now, that the game's replayability value is very low?

Im still on my first play through. 100% I'll replay it again with a different build, companions and do all the Brotherhood stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

Game has about as much replay value as any Bethesda title, really. Although this is discounting the weirdos who roleplay and pretend that using an iron sword over an elven sword makes for a fundamentally different experience.

Theres actually significantly fewer questlines compared to previous Bethesda titles which is pretty disappointing.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mendrian posted:

The problem is that all builds just raise your DPS in different ways and - this is the critical part - don't really change the way you play or how it feels. Step one, take a weapon perk (but not more than one). Step two, find the best weapon you can in that category. Step 3 mod it as much as your perks allow.

Hm well that's not fair I guess. A stealth build probably feels substantially different. But that's about it.

Is a "pure neanderthal" build viable? Like, character who is strong as gently caress, charges headfirst into things and smashes them to bits?

I remember playing that in the original two Fallout games and it was fun as hell. You could barely add 2 and 2 together but was a force to be reckoned with.

I do remember reading some posts about Fallout 4 that basically amounted to "make sure you have a minimum Int of X or you will basically suck" and that's the main reason I haven't bought the game.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

enraged_camel posted:

Is a "pure neanderthal" build viable? Like, character who is strong as gently caress, charges headfirst into things and smashes them to bits?

I remember playing that in the original two Fallout games and it was fun as hell. You could barely add 2 and 2 together but was a force to be reckoned with.

I do remember reading some posts about Fallout 4 that basically amounted to "make sure you have a minimum Int of X or you will basically suck" and that's the main reason I haven't bought the game.

They were probably referring to the fact that Gun Nut (the gun modding perk) and Science! (the energy weapon modding perk) are locked behind INT 3 and 6, respectively, and they make guns way more powerful. That won't matter though if you're doing a 100% melee character, since the armor and weapon modding perks are locked behind STR.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

Stuff like that is completely absent. Every time you level up you get a point which you can spend on a perk or you can spend it raising one of your SPECIAL stats. Builds don't really exist because you can be a 10/10/10/10/10/10/10 regardless of what you choose at the start.

If you're coming from fallout 1/2 and going straight to 4 you'll be surprised if nothing else.

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 31, 2016

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Apparently you could do that and get similar results in new vegas I think it was? the dialog choices and responses would play along with your severe retard strength stupidity

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Pastor Perineum posted:

Apparently you could do that and get similar results in new vegas I think it was? the dialog choices and responses would play along with your severe retard strength stupidity

To an extent. But not nearly as much as in Fallout 1/2.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

enraged_camel posted:

Punchy McPunch and Captain Baseball Bat Boy are both perfectly viable at basic difficulty, although they might not cut it at Survival. High STR and END, maybe LCK for crits.

A dude posted:

They were probably referring to the fact that Gun Nut (the gun modding perk) and Science! (the energy weapon modding perk) are locked behind INT 3 and 6, respectively, and they make guns way more powerful. That won't matter though if you're doing a 100% melee character, since the armor and weapon modding perks are locked behind STR.

You can ignore Science if you're going all bang-bang and no pew-pew. Still, you need one level of Science to beef up Power Armor more than a little.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Odobenidae posted:

Stuff like that is completely absent. Every time you level up you get a point which you can spend on a perk or you can spend it raising one of your SPECIAL stats. Builds don't really exist because you can be a 10/10/10/10/10/10/10 regardless of what you choose at the start.

If you're coming from fallout 1/2 and going straight to 4 you'll be surprised if nothing else.

I think this is kind of nonsense. You could play for 100 hours and not get all your stats to 10 even if you didn't pick up a single normal perk. Just because you could theoretically hit level 300 and have perfect stats and every perk doesn't mean builds don't exist during the time you'll actually be playing.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah I'll admit I was stretching it there. There's still no need to put anywhere near the amount of thought into your stats compared to previous fallout games. The high level perks aren't good enough compared to the mid level ones to care about and the stats themselves matter much less.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

hobbesmaster posted:

Theres actually significantly fewer questlines compared to previous Bethesda titles which is pretty disappointing.

Seriously yeah. I mean, Skyrim had the loooooong main quest, civil war (which could go two ways), Companions, College of Winterhold, Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood, and many side quests. Here we have the main quest, which can go four ways, and... uh... a lot of side quests.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Gynovore posted:

Seriously yeah. I mean, Skyrim had the loooooong main quest, civil war (which could go two ways), Companions, College of Winterhold, Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood, and many side quests. Here we have the main quest, which can go four ways, and... uh... a lot of side quests.

I still say my complaint isn't with the number of quests (there are lots) but rather their depth,length and variety. Most quests only have a single arm and no branches, and most are simple go here, kill stuff quests. The whole thing seems designed around 15 minute play sessions.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Sure, but none of that stuff in Skyrim is mutually exclusive making the idea of separate questlines being a separate playthrough kind of weird.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I'm on my second playthrough and finding lots of new stuff still, but until the GECK and some decent mods, and all the DLC drops I don't see myself playing too much. On the upside, it's nice to load up for an hour or so, wander boston a bit getting into fights or playing barbie dressup with my settlers and then drop it for awhile because there's no real story to unfold, and neither do your actions count for anything in the end. Really hope at least one of the DLC's has some good not poo poo writing.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I like FO4 but it really really lacks depth. Nothing changes between playthroughs. At least in Skyrim, because there were things to do, each play through was different because you were almost assured to be doing different things (main quest excluded). In FO4, no matter what, you're doing the same 10-20 side quests, hanging out in the only real city (diamond city), and constantly clearing out dungeons.

I hope the DLCs do something to address the fact that the FO4 wasteland is very much a wasteland. FNV and even FO3 had a vibrant wasteland in that there things to do that were at least mildly interesting. FO3 wasn't cohesive or anything and was super spread out, but it had poo poo to do at least.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
is there such a thing as explosive resistance?

I found a Missile Launcher with 30% reduction in enemy damage and energy resistance and I'm wondering if that will do anything.

Also a fatman with +50% damage against humans. So those raiders won't have a chance now.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Zephyrine posted:

I found a Missile Launcher with 30% reduction in enemy damage and energy resistance and I'm wondering if that will do anything.

Also a fatman with +50% damage against humans. So those raiders won't have a chance now.

I think so? When you're modding armour, there is at least a few mods that reduce damage from explosions by integrating ballistic fibre into the item, but I can't remember what category it comes up as.

In terms of replayability, I finished a rather short BoS run with high intelligence, low luck and medium everything else. I'm in a "leave me alone I am making settlements" run (haven't picked a faction yet) and I am amazed how much I missed the first time around, and how much the same actions aren't having a similar effect. Trudy is dead, I can't find any steel and the Red Rocket gas station is a glittering metropolis. :saddowns: Also, I went into the Super Duper Mart for the first time and I am afraid. I hate ferals.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

cash crab posted:

I think so? When you're modding armour, there is at least a few mods that reduce damage from explosions by integrating ballistic fibre into the item, but I can't remember what category it comes up as.

The only categories that show up are normal, energy, and radiation resistance, but there are armor mods that refer to explosive damage as a separate thing even though it has no display area.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Zephyrine posted:

The penetrating missile launcher ignores ballistic and energy resistance, which it does ballistic damage so it does do more damage to every enemy. I use it more than the party started actually because its more universal than 50+ damage to humans.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Is there a guide that has the spawn points for bad guys at settlements? I just don't loving get why they spawn inside of a settlement and I'd like to correct for that.

Also kinda wished I got this for PC so I could have unlimited crap to build settlements.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Zephyrine posted:

Trust me, they never did.

"Oh no, someone's blowing everyone's heads off!"
::wait one minute:::
"Musta been mistaken, there's nobody there, even though our friends' heads are still clearly blown off."

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

I like FO4 but it really really lacks depth. Nothing changes between playthroughs. At least in Skyrim, because there were things to do, each play through was different because you were almost assured to be doing different things (main quest excluded). In FO4, no matter what, you're doing the same 10-20 side quests, hanging out in the only real city (diamond city), and constantly clearing out dungeons.

I hope the DLCs do something to address the fact that the FO4 wasteland is very much a wasteland. FNV and even FO3 had a vibrant wasteland in that there things to do that were at least mildly interesting. FO3 wasn't cohesive or anything and was super spread out, but it had poo poo to do at least.

To be fair, most of the quests in Skyrim were still "go here, kill boss/loot item" just coming from your guildmaster or random townsfolk instead of your faction leader or random settlers. And really, Fallout 3 was also mostly random dungeons that you had no real reason to go to, Fallout 4 just radiantly points you to them.

Even ignoring settlements I would say the town situation isn't much different than in Fallout 3 either; if we count a town as a place you can sleep and offload loot where people give you quests, Fallout 3 has five (Megaton, Tenpenny, River City, Paradise Falls and the Citadel) to Fallout 4's six-ish (Diamond City, Goodneighbor, Vault 80-something, and the three different faction headquarters).

Not saying Fallout 4 is perfect (New Vegas does literally everything better except combat, Minecraft tinkering and not being ugly), just that it's basically a better Fallout 3. I'm not sure you could even say Fallout 3 has more quests without including DLC, and pointing to the five or six times any stat other than Speech was used for a dialogue check doesn't really count.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

I did that on my melee character. Basically it's a "how many things can I kill in an hour on yao guai roast?" build. Which is hilarious at first because you can one shot basically anything in the game with it on but then your completely reliant on it early game. Once you get higher in level you can use your power armor to send people flying and then bash their flying bodies out of the air. It's pretty fun lol.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
Thanks for the missile advice.

Another question. Where do the crew members go when a vertibird crashes?

I have explored a dozen crash sites now and the most I ever found was a lancers foot. Do they jump out before the crash and run off?

Oh and a bit of advice on me for dealing with Trudy and Wolfgang.

First time I encountered them I killed Wolfgang. This is the worst thing you can do because from now on you can no longer buy things from Trudy without listening to a monologue of how nice it is that Wolfgang is dead.
Second time I talked to Wolfgang and told him to go away. This makes buying from Trudy easier.

The best solution in my opinion is to talk to Wolfgang and then offer to deal with Trudy. Then convincing Trudy to pay him. This will make Wolfgang hand out and sell chems at Trudys shop so you now have two vendors there and an extra chem vendor.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Crew members are generally killed and disintegrated on impact. Occasionally really pissed off soldiers will survive thanks to their armour and come out guns blazing, though.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
what should my starting special be for a stealth character (and i'm going for all the cheevos)

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Should I try to play Fallout 4 again? I got like 15 hours into it but got tired of constantly going back to Sanctuary to dump off scrap and guns. I swear I spent half my time in game organizing loot.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Relin posted:

what should my starting special be for a stealth character (and i'm going for all the cheevos)

Melee or ranged?
For melee since you don't need the int perks, you can go high luck, high strength, high agi.
You want overall 9 Agi for blitz, 5 Luck for savant, and at least 4 in strength for blacksmith.
Since you'll be using Vats, Rooted is amazing, so 9 strength is great to shoot for but not critical.

If you prefer ranged,
4 Agi for sneak and mister sand man, 6 Int for Gun Nut and Science. And then as high perception as you want.
The 8 and 9 PER perks are pretty great for ranged sneak killing.

3 Charisma is good for any stealth character because of Lone Wanderer. And 5 Endurance is great because Aqua Girl is amazing.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Zephyrine posted:

Thanks for the missile advice.

Another question. Where do the crew members go when a vertibird crashes?

Heaven?

Seriously, I think I've seen 2 or 3 survivors in who knows how many vertibird crashes. I'm pretty sure most are killed on impact unless they're wearing power armor.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

GamingHyena posted:

Heaven?

Seriously, I think I've seen 2 or 3 survivors in who knows how many vertibird crashes. I'm pretty sure most are killed on impact unless they're wearing power armor.

If he's looking for the dead bodies, they can sometimes fly way off due to the explosion. Also, even knights will sometimes die or lose all their power armor pieces in the crash.

Another possibility is there was no one on board. Deacon and I got into a fight with a Vertibird that had no pilot.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I don't like to reload to try different options, I just go with my first instinct when it comes to decisions in RPGs.

Should have realised that (Railroad questline) telling Father to gently caress off after Bunker Hill means the Synths can't be liberated.

I was still trying to decide which faction to align with at the end, but that forced my hand.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
In F4 you can't really interact with the world. Once you have played the story once, you have seen most of what the game has to offer.

What the game does well is atmosphere. The attention to detail in the commonwealth is great. Lost of little details and stories in the environment, and you can really tell they put a lot of time into that part of it.

But the player and the game world don't interact.

It's really clear this bandit leader was talking about Mama Murphy, but it isn't like you can talk to her about anything at all really, or even mention it.

The same thing happens with the institute. I found a terminal that listed all of the institute spies, including trashcan carla but I couldn't do anything about it.

I want a mod that removes all of the terrible story missions, and just spits me out of the vault. You are free to do any of the radiant missions if you want, and you can go explore the wasteland. That, to me, would be the game at its best. I would really only play F4 again to shoot raiders and play minecraft-lite.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Nasgate posted:

If he's looking for the dead bodies, they can sometimes fly way off due to the explosion. Also, even knights will sometimes die or lose all their power armor pieces in the crash.

Another possibility is there was no one on board. Deacon and I got into a fight with a Vertibird that had no pilot.

I've also found gibbed crash victims, which makes looting even more annoying. "Hmm, oh, it's leg embedded in the river bottom. Oh well, another bomber jacket for the collection..."

I'd have more good condition Brotherhood armor if I actually just killed them myself, but it's so amusing to watch some buckethead have all his pieces destroyed because of three glowing feral dogs... :getin:

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006
I HAVEN'T BATHED SINCE DECEMBER 4, 2009. ARE U READY FOR A STINK FUCK????

Relin posted:

It only takes 3 points in agility to unlock the stealth perk. That's technically all you need, you can get extra agility eventually through armor pieces.

a decent guns start:

3 STR
1 PER
1 END
6 CHA
4 INT (eventually build this to 6 for Science!)
5 AGI
7 LCK
1 point left over, put it in maybe perception or luck.

For melee take the points out of luck and mash 9 STR and 9 AGI for easymode.

For guns, always get at least 7 luck. It's not even about min-maxing, it's about making the combat fun. VATS is super weak in FO4 to compensate for the new critical system, and if you're not using crits you might as well never use VATS. Especially with Automatic or Heavy Weapons. Prioritize Luck > Agi > Perception for VATS.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Stink gently caress Rob posted:

VATS is super weak in FO4 to compensate for the new critical system, and if you're not using crits you might as well never use VATS.

This is, I think, really dependent on your settings. For me (lovely laptop that barely runs Fallout 4), I can use VATS with high perception to kill people before I can even see them outside of VATS.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Does anyone know if there's a particular thematic reason why Deacon was in the Memory Den when I went to root through the brain?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

cash crab posted:

Does anyone know if there's a particular thematic reason why Deacon was in the Memory Den when I went to root through the brain?

Yes. You can find Deacon in a number of random places around the Commonwealth before you ever meet the Railroad, and that's one of them. He's spying.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

captain innocuous posted:

I want a mod that removes all of the terrible story missions, and just spits me out of the vault. You are free to do any of the radiant missions if you want, and you can go explore the wasteland. That, to me, would be the game at its best. I would really only play F4 again to shoot raiders and play minecraft-lite.

You do know that helping the minutemen/brotherhood/railroad are all optional right? as is finding Kellog. If you like exploring and killing, go do that. I have infiltrated the institute and i still haven't saved Preston and his gang of assholes.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

ulmont posted:

This is, I think, really dependent on your settings. For me (lovely laptop that barely runs Fallout 4), I can use VATS with high perception to kill people before I can even see them outside of VATS.

I agree here. Unless you have a $5000 liquid-cooled gaming "rig" and the reflexes of a hyper-caffienated 14 year old, you'll make a lot more shots in VATS than you do hipfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Gynovore posted:

I agree here. Unless you have a $5000 liquid-cooled gaming "rig" and the reflexes of a hyper-caffienated 14 year old, you'll make a lot more shots in VATS than you do hipfire.

Or a console :c00lbutt:

• Locked thread