Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Moore is the Democrat version of Republican media: First, he takes something that an adult could usually construct some sort of argument for if they had to. Then he ramps the Moore-mobile off the end of a cliff going into self-parody, tryhard jokes, and selective perception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Moore was at his best with Canadian Bacon honestly.

For some reason the satire of how the rust belt was destroyed, combined with the criticism of millitary-industrial complex? Just works.

He seems better when he's working with writing a comedy than he would be making a movie. Much, much more effective.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

It annoys me when people equate Moore with the right. Yeah his style is grating sometimes but AFAIK he doesn't base his arguments on completely delusional made-up bullshit.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Moore was at his best with Canadian Bacon honestly.

For some reason the satire of how the rust belt was destroyed, combined with the criticism of millitary-industrial complex? Just works.

He seems better when he's working with writing a comedy than he would be making a movie. Much, much more effective.

It looks like one of his only movies that's a narrative and not a documentary. I wish he'd done more of those, Canadian Bacon is hilarious.

King Dopplepopolos
Aug 3, 2007

Give us a raise, loser!

Fantastic_Mr_Fox posted:

wait, what emails?

These e-mails, I'd presume.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/297005752/DTMB-Facility-Notification

Progress Michigan posted:

The Snyder administration quietly trucked in water to state buildings in January of 2015 – ten months prior to Governor Snyder publicly admitting there was reason for concern in Flint, according to a document obtained by Progress Michigan.

The document is a Facility Notification sent by the Department of Technology, Management and Budget (DTMB) in response to poor water quality in Flint. The notification stated that water coolers were being installed on each occupied floor next to the drinking fountains so that state workers could choose to continue to drink Flint water or a safe alternative.

“It appears the state wasn’t as slow as we first thought in responding the Flint Water Crisis. Sadly, the only response was to protect the Snyder administration from future liability and not to protect the children of Flint from lead poisoning,” said Lonnie Scott, executive director of Progress Michigan. “While residents were being told to relax and not worry about the water, the Snyder administration was taking steps to limit exposure in its own building.”

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah, a lot of communications were released via FOIA requests but oddly most were more censoring than white space and at least one e-mail was entirely censored front and back.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

beatlegs posted:

It annoys me when people equate Moore with the right. Yeah his style is grating sometimes but AFAIK he doesn't base his arguments on completely delusional made-up bullshit.

Seconding this. I like Michael Moore quite a bit and conflating his level of intellectual dishonesty, hyperbole and slight of hand is equivalent to what Hannity and Rush do ever single day is complete horseshit to me. I think he's rather brave actually and right way more than he is wrong.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

BiggerBoat posted:

Seconding this. I like Michael Moore quite a bit and conflating his level of intellectual dishonesty, hyperbole and slight of hand is equivalent to what Hannity and Rush do ever single day is complete horseshit to me. I think he's rather brave actually and right way more than he is wrong.

The comparison to the RWM kind of stinks of "Both sides are equally bad :smug: ", truth in the middle, nonsense that is popular these days.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

ToastyPotato posted:

The comparison to the RWM kind of stinks of "Both sides are equally bad :smug: ", truth in the middle, nonsense that is popular these days.

Makes it really hard to have an argument go anywhere when you always have to stop and take a detour explaining that no, things aren't equal and here's why. I understand why it's appealing, because it makes people feel above the fray and all that, but it's a constant annoyance.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

BiggerBoat posted:

IMHO, Michael Moore is cut from exactly the same cloth as both of those guys. Shock tactics, attention whoring through antagonism, ends justifying the means rationalization, etc. The main difference is the volume of content. I'm sure if Michael Moore had to fill hours and hours of content a week, they would be indistinguishable.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Moore at least has the decency to do some research and base his stuff on reality. Yeah he engages in the appeal to outrage fallacy and is hyperbolic as hell but you can tell what the reality underneath it all is.

Rush just screams LIBERALS BAD LIBERALS BAD LIBERALS BAD all day without even bothering to fact check anything.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ToastyPotato posted:

It's what they want you to say :tinfoil:

Michael Moore's hometown is literally being poisoned and used for military urban combat exercises.

Even my earliest political memories have an element of humor - I remember watching 'Awful Truth' where Moore went around Harlem letting people trade their wallets for dayglo orange ones after a guy was shot while taking his black wallet out. He dumped all of the discarded wallets in front of the NYPD precinct where the shooting occurred.

confused posted:

IMHO, Michael Moore is cut from exactly the same cloth as both of those guys. Shock tactics, attention whoring through antagonism, ends justifying the means rationalization, etc. The main difference is the volume of content. I'm sure if Michael Moore had to fill hours and hours of content a week, they would be indistinguishable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5Gf0VKXk5Q

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The problem is that Moore's selective editing justifies poo poo like doctoring the Planned Parenthood footage as far as the RWM is concerned.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Michael Moore is just as punchable as Hannity and that's the problem with him. He's a fat smug rear end in a top hat who drips condescension toward all views he disagrees with. Being smart and having generally good opinions are completely negated when he's such an easy target to attack without ever touching any of his actual arguments. He's not as disingenuous as right wing blowhards but he is similarly abrasive and all he's really good for is preaching to the choir and liberal back patting. I genuinely believe he hurts liberal causes far more than he has ever helped.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
^ To avoid criticism - do nothing, say nothing, be nothing

moths posted:

The problem is that Moore's selective editing justifies poo poo like doctoring the Planned Parenthood footage as far as the RWM is concerned.

Yup - he committed that sin back in the day and now it taints all media.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Hey guys remember that time Moore said that he'll get waterboarded and then backout andjhsdfghuiywerjfngwkeshfgjkwshvijk

the truthis in the middle , both sides are bad.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

moths posted:

This was my point. He can take any issue that you could be reasonable about, and make you ashamed to be associated.

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.

moths posted:

You say that like they wouldn't have found some other way to justify it anyway.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

moths posted:

Like can you give some examples of this so I don't have to wade through tons of rightwing garbage? I did some searching and the only thing that seems to come up is a scene involving Charlton Heston's NRA speech in Bowling For Columbine, which was iffy and not overtly deceptive.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

beatlegs posted:

Like can you give some examples of this so I don't have to wade through tons of rightwing garbage? I did some searching and the only thing that seems to come up is a scene involving Charlton Heston's NRA speech in Bowling For Columbine, which was iffy and not overtly deceptive.

There is a story to be told about how Michael Moore (and Adam Curtis, among others) precipitated the court case that became the Citizen's United Decision.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

McDowell posted:

There is a story to be told about how Michael Moore (and Adam Curtis, among others) precipitated the court case that became the Citizen's United Decision.

...? What's the story behind that?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

beatlegs posted:

Like can you give some examples of this so I don't have to wade through tons of rightwing garbage?

I'm trying to find some specifics, but the field's been salted with right-wing bullshit. Moore basically exaggerated some things and wasn't as critical when statements supported his narrative. Forbes magazine also ran a hit-piece on the film, which has apparently been largely discredited - but the damage had already been done.

He's admitted as much (but good luck finding it anywhere) and he had increased to (IIRC) seven independent fact-checkers by the time Fahrenheit 9/11 was filmed. By then, the narrative that Moore was a big fake liar who lies JUST LIKE ALL LIBERAL MEDIA EVERYWHERE was already gospel.

e: Acutally, Movie Mistakes seems to have a pretty non-partisan listing.

moths fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 1, 2016

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

So Moore actually didn't do anything that bad but because babies on the right cried so loudly everybody ended up believing he did, therefore he's not credible anymore.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Morroque posted:

...? What's the story behind that?

The Citizen's United PAC or whatever that made a documentary (allegedly in the mold of Michael Moore - I haven't seen it) that arguably slandered Hillary which went to court under campaign finance offenses with a defense of 'free speech' - leading to the 5-4 decision that anyone can give throw together an LLC - raise funds, and say whatever they want and propagate it as far as possible.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

McDowell posted:

The Citizen's United PAC or whatever that made a documentary (allegedly in the mold of Michael Moore - I haven't seen it) that arguably slandered Hillary which went to court under campaign finance offenses with a defense of 'free speech' - leading to the 5-4 decision that anyone can give throw together an LLC - raise funds, and say whatever they want and propagate it as far as possible.
RIP
100's of millions dead due to Michael Moore's invention, the partisan documentary

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Thanks Michael Moore

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
The right sure did a good job of convincing the left to be ashamed of Moore after F9/11 came out.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
^ I saw it in theaters. Of course it wasn't until years later that I saw Power of nightmares - which is far better.

There was an interview about shopping it to HBO back in the day and no one would touch it. $$$$

T. Bombastus posted:

RIP
100's of millions dead due to Michael Moore's invention, the partisan documentary

Just the next step from the printing press - the founders slandered each other constantly.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Has there been any mention of the Dick Dorkins Twitter Sexism row here?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
My complaint with Moore is that he only has like 45 minutes or so of good material and it's a 90 minute flick. WE GET IT, CUBA HAS MEDICINE, MOVE ON!

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
Having listened to both sides on numerous occasions, I really don't think Moore comes close to the level of Hannity or el Rushbo. He does sensationalize things (like saying the residents of flint were "bombed"), but click-bait is used because it draws attention. He simply doesn't compare to the flat, bold-faced lies that conservative shock jocks peddle daily. You can read between the lines with Moore and use his message as a start point to research a subject, good luck trying that with RWM. You will find yourself discovering a variety of sources that directly contradict whatever bullshit topic they happened to be flipping their poo poo over on that particular day.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Above all ignore Michael Moore debunk sites or blogs (if you want to be factually informed about Moore).

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Crowsbeak posted:

Has there been any mention of the Dick Dorkins Twitter Sexism row here?

Like, a new one? Dude is pretty dismissive of everyone not in his peer group.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Epic High Five posted:

Yeah, a lot of communications were released via FOIA requests but oddly most were more censoring than white space and at least one e-mail was entirely censored front and back.

How the hell can they censor material like it is classified information?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Republicans posted:

Like, a new one? Dude is pretty dismissive of everyone not in his peer group.

Seems that he's complaining about "some feminists" not hating Islam enough, contrasted with the criticism of that NASA dude's shirt.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Its actually pretty normal with FOIA requests. I made a request from the FDA for a medical device application for work and they censored most of the technical details. None of that was classified either.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Apparently, the Michigan governor's office is exempt from the FOIA. I don't know how, and I could be oversimplifying a complicated issue.

beatlegs posted:

So Moore actually didn't do anything that bad but because babies on the right cried so loudly everybody ended up believing he did, therefore he's not credible anymore.

The one distinct thing I remember was he made a big deal out of "Osama bin-Laden's family secretly flown out of the U.S. after 9/11!" He got in a fight with Snopes over it back in the day, but basically the truth was more like "the FBI checked that bin-Laden's third cousin living in Scranton didn't know anything about terrorism, so they flew him out of the country before some ignorant redneck lynched him."

Motto posted:

Seems that he's complaining about "some feminists" not hating Islam enough, contrasted with the criticism of that NASA dude's shirt.

He shared some ridiculous video saying that "feminists" and "Islamists" have the exact same ideology. http://www.wehuntedthemammoth.com/2016/01/28/richard-dawkins-lindy-west-and-the-cartoon-video-of-great-hatefulness/

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Its actually pretty normal with FOIA requests. I made a request from the FDA for a medical device application for work and they censored most of the technical details. None of that was classified either.

That makes sense from a copyright protection standpoint but it still would not explain what these censored items could be especially when dealing with a public crisis versus a medical device application.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Jurgan posted:

He shared some ridiculous video saying that "feminists" and "Islamists" have the exact same ideology. http://www.wehuntedthemammoth.com/2016/01/28/richard-dawkins-lindy-west-and-the-cartoon-video-of-great-hatefulness/

The best (worst) part is that he later seemed to regret taking the initial tweet down, after having apparently been tricked into believing the very real woman being mocked in the video had been subject to doxxing, threats, and abuse. Tricked! How dare those women play the victim when we ruin their lives.

Has Dick Dorkins tweeted about cultural marxism yet? That's gotta be coming soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

That makes sense from a copyright protection standpoint but it still would not explain what these censored items could be especially when dealing with a public crisis versus a medical device application.

Yeah, I don't know what the actual justification they used for censoring those documents. But that's partly because they are so censored you can't really pick up a pattern.