Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

BaDandy posted:

Unless, you know, you're Joseph but whatever.

ブジカマセ NEVER GIVE UP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I feel like Part 5 would be instantly 100x better if Diavolo didn't exist at all and it was just crazy little Doppio running around pretending not to be the boss and going nuts when people figured it out.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Diavolo's pretty bland, I agree. Although I'm also kind of salty that Doppio beat Metallica. Like, for the narrative's sake, sure. But the fight itself left a bad taste in my mouth like few in Jojo have.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Continuing my Diamond is Unbreakable journey. So does Rohan just use Heaven's Door to make himself immune to Koichi's true stand power that makes former enemies shrink to his size or something?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Koichi never defeats Rohan, Josuke does.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
But Koichi isn't the one who beat Hazamada either.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

No, but he was instrumental in the fight.

More seriously though, Araki said™ somewhere the whole shrinking thing is like a visual metaphor. Kobayashi and Hazamada both seem intimidating at first, but once we get to know them they're both paper tigers who fold under pressure. They're drawn differently at first compared to how they appear later to reflect his deflation in power and stature.

Rohan isn't like them. He's the real deal.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Ah yeah that makes sense.

In other news, I already knew that David Bowie was the villain of this whole arc but holy poo poo what a creepy guy. Leave that hand alone dude.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm glad his house burnt down, Rohan was a dick

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Kira is so good. Just instantly gives off the aura of the creepiest motherfucker and is intensely captivating.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I'm glad his house burnt down, Rohan was a dick
Watching a 20 year old develop a vendetta against 16 year old because he got punched a lot for being a dick is one of the funniest parts of Part 4.

Like one time, Josuke sees Rohan while hanging out with Joseph and just out loud yells "Hey, it's Rohan! I hate that guy!"

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Josuke and Rohan's friendship by way of mutual loathing is incredible and I can't wait to see it animated.

Gonna be great seeing Kira too. I imagine a lot of the people who disliked how in the background Dio was in Part 3 will like Kira a lot more.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I love Rohan, it's hilarious when you remember that he's technically an adult but sure as hell doesn't act like it.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Now that I've actually seen Rohan rather than just hearing how there's a mangaka in DiU at some point, is it just me or is Heaven's Door possibly the most absurdly powerful stand in Jojo so far? At first everything could be explained by it being like brainwashing (eg. Koichi tries to attack him but subconciously misses) but then he made Koichi be thrown backwards out of the ghost road. Is there anything he couldn't do just by writing it on someone?

Obviously I can't speak for later parts but I can't think of any stand before now that even compares.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ActionZero posted:

Now that I've actually seen Rohan rather than just hearing how there's a mangaka in DiU at some point, is it just me or is Heaven's Door possibly the most absurdly powerful stand in Jojo so far? At first everything could be explained by it being like brainwashing (eg. Koichi tries to attack him but subconciously misses) but then he made Koichi be thrown backwards out of the ghost road. Is there anything he couldn't do just by writing it on someone?

It's powerful in the same way Destructro Disc is powerful

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's stupidly powerful, but Rohan would be lucky to use it on literally anyone who fights him since most other stands can pin him down and beat the poo poo out of him before he could hope to do anything. A lot of the times it works his opponents are unsuspecting, but when put against actual combat stands it cannot hope to match up.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 31, 2016

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ActionZero posted:

Obviously I can't speak for later parts but I can't think of any stand before now that even compares.

It's limited mainly by Rohan's aesthetic sensibilities.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Josuke's initial strategy against Rohan was to just close his eyes and run at him Stand fists flailing and that probably would've worked just fine.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Baal's right, it's a fantastic stand to use when people are not expecting you to use it but in actual combat he's probably hosed.

It's also a case of "the user matters" since Rohan is certainly creative with it but he's not the sort of person who'd go after people with it so ultimately, no, it's not really "powerful."

He's a creep with it sometimes but I think he probably relies on it less than you'd think because he seems like the sort of person for whom it'd be a matter of pride to be able to read people without it.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I agree, Rohan is the best.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
Isn't a running theme with the Stands in Part 4 that they are all super powerful but only as good as their user? Like The Hand is limited by Okuyasu's intelligence

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
For real, Highway Star might be my favourite Stand (and fight) in the entire series.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WFLUhSym80

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I read through the Josuke part of the Highway Star battle with the actual song playing in the background and it was amazing

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Ekusukariba posted:

Isn't a running theme with the Stands in Part 4 that they are all super powerful but only as good as their user? Like The Hand is limited by Okuyasu's intelligence

I think it's omnipresent, but yeah, it comes up a bit in 4. The Hand could be pretty amazing if he wanted to try to be creative with it but I think/hope in his adult life he mostly just used it to propel the remote towards him while marathoning Gilmore Girls.

I was thinking about Mista's Stand today basically because of Ringo; Ringo's watch isn't actually needed to activate his Stand, it's just the mechanism he chooses to use. Mista's Stand doesn't really gotta be bullets from a gun, then, right? That's just the way he's operating it? Like if Kakyoin decided he needed to take Hierophant out of a Gak container every time he wanted to deploy it, or not quite?

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?
I really don't see what you're getting at. Mista's Stand is called Sex Pistols for a reason, and physically, it doesn't have the strength to do anything other than kick bullets around. Take the gun out of the equation and all they can really do is talk and look at things.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah, Sex Pistols' ability is labeled as Bullet Control so I'm not sure what else it could do if Mista didn't have a gun, though they are pretty helpful as just little helpers versus Grateful Dead and Beach Boy.

Similar to how Crazy Diamond's healing ability comes from Josuke's natural kindness, Killer Queen's exploding ability coming from Kira's desire to eliminate evidence and Star Platinum's precision comes from Jotaro's ability to keep his cool, Sex Pistols manifesting as it did seems to be directly caused by Mista's natural ability with a gun that he shows off in his backstory. Granted that instance is weird since dozens of bullets somehow missed Mista before he even had a Stand, but it's still cool.

Speaking of Ringo and Mandom, I like how Kira will sometimes do the physical motion of pressing a detonator alongside Killer Queen. He obviously doesn't need to but it's a neat little quirk.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 1, 2016

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

i will always lol when i remember okuyasu forgetting his stand powers and just raw punching the tower

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Moltrey posted:

since dozens of bullets somehow missed Mista before he even had a Stand

That's what I kept twisting my mind over!

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

i will always lol when i remember okuyasu forgetting his stand powers and just raw punching the tower

I like that and Josuke completely loving forgetting that he can fix the cellphone during Highway Star.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

That's what I kept twisting my mind over!
I suppose it's possible that Mista was on the verge of developing a Stand naturally and that was just Sex Pistols bleeding through? Maybe? It's clearly said that Bruno had Mista take Polpo's Stand and pass so he wasn't a Stand User until then.

It's also more possible that Mista's backstory doesn't make complete sense and is more in line with Weather Reports and Pucci where it was just Here's A Bizarre Event That Happened Once.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I thought the epilogue implied that Mista was able to survive absurd things because of ~fate~. It had nothing to do with his Stand.

I'm not a big fan of that whole aspect of Jojo, honestly. It was funny with Thoth, but it eventually got to the point of undermining everyone's agency.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 1, 2016

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Silver2195 posted:

I thought the epilogue implied that Mista was able to survive absurd things because of ~fate~. It had nothing to do with his Stand.

Your guess is as good as mine given how much sense the epilogue currently makes

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Moltrey posted:

I suppose it's possible that Mista was on the verge of developing a Stand naturally and that was just Sex Pistols bleeding through? Maybe? It's clearly said that Bruno had Mista take Polpo's Stand and pass so he wasn't a Stand User until then.

It's also more possible that Mista's backstory doesn't make complete sense and is more in line with Weather Reports and Pucci where it was just Here's A Bizarre Event That Happened Once.

From what I gathered, it felt like a Pulp Fiction reference. Remember when all those bullets completely missed Jules and he viewed that as a miracle? Kinda like that.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Some people are born with stands so I think it'd be entirely possible for someone like Mista to be a borderline case who just needed a little push.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Polpo's plan for running a gang of stand users was pretty brilliant I've gotta say

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You guys do remember that Rohan moves to grab and flash his manuscript page to trap Josuke in Heaven's Door before Crazy D can land a punch and it doesn't work because Josuke had gone blind, right?

The "not actually useful in combat" argument fails somewhat when its user can move as quickly as CD.

Moltrey posted:

Speaking of Ringo and Mandom, I like how Kira will sometimes do the physical motion of pressing a detonator alongside Killer Queen. He obviously doesn't need to but it's a neat little quirk.

He does need to, the entirety of the climax of DiU relies on Echoes' weighing his hand down and Jotaro's time stop being able to beat him up before he can. If he didn't need to, he would have won.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You guys do remember that Rohan moves to grab and flash his manuscript page to trap Josuke in Heaven's Door before Crazy D can land a punch and it doesn't work because Josuke had gone blind, right?

The "not actually useful in combat" argument fails somewhat when its user can move as quickly as CD.

That's actually proving my point more than deterring because if all it takes to poo poo on your stand is to close your eyes then that's not a really difficult stand to overcome. Mind you, you need that foresight, but it's still not meant for actual combat at that point.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

On the other hand, if you can't see, you're not exactly at your fighting best and there's nothing stopping Rohan from punching you with it.
Even one of Harvest is enough to punch a chunk of your eyeball out.

Heaven's Door's not a fighting stand but there's really no doubt that it's a broken rear end god-stand balanced solely by writing. (Which is shaky in HD's case cos he breaks his own rules in supplemental things).

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean you're not wrong, but there's also long range stands that don't have to actually interact with Rohan and insanely unorthodox stuff like Enigma where the user hides out until you gently caress up. It's true tho that it does break its own rules in supplemental stuff and even something like showing the manga isn't really used ever again after his intro fight.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Baal posted:

I mean you're not wrong, but there's also long range stands that don't have to actually interact with Rohan and insanely unorthodox stuff like Enigma where the user hides out until you gently caress up. It's true tho that it does break its own rules in supplemental stuff and even something like showing the manga isn't really used ever again after his intro fight.

To be fair, there's kind of a reason for ditching the manga stuff. It's rohan's drawings that seem to cause heaven's door to happen. IIRC he's just drawing the image in the air so quickly that people can tell what he drew and end up under heave gate's effects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh yeah, that's right. I did forget he did do something like that at some point.