Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
ya know, now that I think about it. eggs are to be cooked in a pan, all this 500 degree oven bullshit is meant to cover for someone who can't flip a loving egg. sheep-goats, we're pretty sure you can't whip, can you even flip?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Sizone posted:

ya know, now that I think about it. eggs are to be cooked in a pan, all this 500 degree oven bullshit is meant to cover for someone who can't flip a loving egg. sheep-goats, we're pretty sure you can't whip, can you even flip?

I hope I get at least a five step runup before I kick you in your cruddy head

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

Sizone posted:

You're mistaken. Fishy eggs are designed to be minimum effort for maximum eats. One dish, preheat while prepping the other stuff

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Sheep-Goats posted:

I teach you how to cook fish and this is how you repay me

You put some kind of cool kid tweet or blog post in the middle of the tinned fish thread.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
aint nothing particularly masculine bout reheating anything, IMO. Glass bakeware, cilantro, seafood forks. Get back to the root of it.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
Checked out the fish counter at my local indoor farmer's market and they had sardines! I already have all my meals planned for this week, but I'm definitely gonna grab some next weekend. After I find a good recipe and make em, I'll post the results here.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Not really a dine, but pleasre keep a tube of anchovy paste around. Used that fish paste in my sketti sauce tonight. Adds tremendous amounts of body.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

King of Bees posted:

Not really a dine, but pleasre keep a tube of anchovy paste around. Used that fish paste in my sketti sauce tonight. Adds tremendous amounts of body.

Pro moves

Y'all got me buying odd brands of canned fish now just to see what they're like. Thanks thread.
(Also have a can of KO with jalapeno as a backup)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

King of Bees posted:

Just use actual anchovies, they taste way better and are easy to melt into a sauce. Olive oil, anchovy, cracked black pepper, is a simple and awesome sauce.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Phanatic posted:

Just use actual anchovies, they taste way better and are easy to melt into a sauce. Olive oil, anchovy, cracked black pepper, is a simple and awesome sauce.

For sure. But used all mine up on a pie the other day. The chovy paste is a super easy condiment to keep around for back up.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

someone let us know how fresh sardines are compared to canned.

I assume they go for the larger ones versus ones in a KO can, and bones excluded since they aren't soaked in oil from weeks to months, but what do I know

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I'm never tired of jalapeņo KOs on any bread really. unfortunately the Meijer I shop at rarely has Mediterranean and the Kroger next to it does, but they charge all the KO cans like 75 cents more. dunno what's up with that.

I actually have reviewed almost every KO sardine option known and took pics so I should prob post the results one of these days

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Pastor Perineum posted:

someone let us know how fresh sardines are compared to canned.

I assume they go for the larger ones versus ones in a KO can, and bones excluded since they aren't soaked in oil from weeks to months, but what do I know

They're great grilled or fried like smelt. Fish fries. Yum

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

What's the difference between these:

(which I'm excited to eat tbh) and the ones in a red wrapping? Besides being twice the price of the regular tins at the grocery store?? I'm stupid

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

The Snoo posted:

What's the difference between these:

(which I'm excited to eat tbh) and the ones in a red wrapping? Besides being twice the price of the regular tins at the grocery store?? I'm stupid

The ones on amazon are all insanely marked up. It's a way to both encourage retail sales and gouge everyone else.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Ahhh I meant that the golden cross-pack ones I took a photo of are like ~$3.75 and the regular tins are about $2.59 here. :downs: They are quite expensive on amazon, yikes.

The amazon reviews for them say they're very small and very good so I'm assuming they're just higher quality (??????) or something.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

The Snoo posted:

Ahhh I meant that the golden cross-pack ones I took a photo of are like ~$3.75 and the regular tins are about $2.59 here. :downs: They are quite expensive on amazon, yikes.

The amazon reviews for them say they're very small and very good so I'm assuming they're just higher quality (??????) or something.

I think the cross packs are smaller. I've had both at some point, but I've never compared them side to side.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I'd never trust a cross pack. I wanna know what the hell on getting. honestly though, they are usually all the same price in stores regardless of flavoring, so get them in-store. in the U.S. you can find them under $3. Again, shame on Kroger for their insane prices on them. KO's anchovies and other fish under the KO name are usually priced cheaper than their sardines, if you have those available.

Thunder God Biden
Sep 8, 2004

Israel is not a legitimate entity, and no amount of pressure can force us to recognize its right to exist.

Holy poo poo y'all I have fisherman's eggs in the oven right now and I'm dying of anticipation I will take a picture when they come out.

Thunder God Biden fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 31, 2016

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

d_redguy posted:

Holy poo poo y'all I have fisherman's eggs in the oven right now and I'm dying of anticipation I will take a picture when they come out.

:coolfish:

Thunder God Biden
Sep 8, 2004

Israel is not a legitimate entity, and no amount of pressure can force us to recognize its right to exist.

I dont wanna break the tables and Im concentrating on eating these bitches

(Fixed img from url)

Update:

So I made this in the toaster oven, which only goes to 450. 450, 500, whatever. Seems not to matter too much. Timed it exactly the same as the ones in the OP. They were amazing. Here they are in the casserole dish:

Here is a envious dog.

(She got a 'dine for being a good dog anyway so don't feel too bad for her)

Thunder God Biden fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 31, 2016

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

My fisherman eggs expedition just set off not one but two smoke alarms in the apartment. That must mean they'll be extra good, right?
(There is practically no smoke they just always go off when the oven is cranked up)

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

The Snoo posted:

If I get around to it tonight I'll bust open the cross pack I have and snap a pic. :)

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I opened my tin of cross-packed ones and ate them for lunch (they're ridiculously good) but you should have yours regardless!!!

A lot of goddamn fish in this can. Two layers!! It's almost like... they're packed like sardines :grin:

Also those fisherman's eggs look good~ I did mine at 450 because I'm a baby bitch and they seemed fine; I think the onions and other stuff would've burned horribly if I had done it at 500 if only because I wanted the eggs cooked a bit more.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

The Snoo posted:

A lot of goddamn fish in this can. Two layers!! It's almost like... they're packed like sardines :grin:

1.5x dad points multiplier for dad joke about dad food.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

The Snoo posted:

I opened my tin of cross-packed ones and ate them for lunch (they're ridiculously good) but you should have yours regardless!!!

Also those fisherman's eggs look good~ I did mine at 450 because I'm a baby bitch and they seemed fine; I think the onions and other stuff would've burned horribly if I had done it at 500 if only because I wanted the eggs cooked a bit more.

They don't, be a brave boy and become a bold dad

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

the yeti posted:

My fisherman eggs expedition just set off not one but two smoke alarms in the apartment. That must mean they'll be extra good, right?
(There is practically no smoke they just always go off when the oven is cranked up)

Almost every time I use the oven the loving smoke alarm goes off, it's almost an indicator of when things are done at this point.

I'm seriously thinking about taping a grocery bag around the fucker like a FOB Chinese guy.

Thunder God Biden
Sep 8, 2004

Sheep-Goats posted:

They don't, be a brave boy and become a bold dad

Yeah I wouldnt worry about it. I just wanted to use the toaster oven because my oven takes about a billion years to get up to even 425. Plus it's a new toaster oven we got for Xmas so gotta put that sucker through its paces.

That having been said, my eggs were perfect. Yolks were just the right level of warm and liquid.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'll allow it

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I ate them Riga Sprats

5*

Good fish

Very similar to KO in olive oil, a little smokier, fish I eat was good, put half an rear end of dill on

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

d_redguy posted:

I dont wanna break the tables and Im concentrating on eating these bitches

(Fixed img from url)

Update:

So I made this in the toaster oven, which only goes to 450. 450, 500, whatever. Seems not to matter too much. Timed it exactly the same as the ones in the OP. They were amazing. Here they are in the casserole dish:

Here is a envious dog.

(She got a 'dine for being a good dog anyway so don't feel too bad for her)

Evenest toast I ever fukken seen holy moly

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

King of Bees posted:

Spaghetti alla puttanesca. It will change your life. The aroma at start of the recipe when you are frying up anchovies in olive oil and garlic and chili flakes is one of those great fleeting moments that punctuates a world of tedium and poo poo that makes life worth living.

Thunder God Biden
Sep 8, 2004

Sheep-Goats posted:

Evenest toast I ever fukken seen holy moly

It's a very nice toaster oven. :)

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
This cuoco pasta con el sarde canned sauce is pretty goddamn weird and the sardines included are ugly, scaly, and overcooked, but I do recommend trying it if you are a serious canned fish explorer and like fennel/anise flavor.

http://www.amazon.com/Cuoco-Condimento-Pasta-Sarde-14-5/dp/B0001H22L2

d_redguy posted:

It's a very nice toaster oven. :)

What model do you have?

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
I should like to become an IRL dad, do you think 'dines will make me more fertile?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
will you be a gay dad?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

I should like to become an IRL dad, do you think 'dines will make me more fertile?

Yes

Thunder God Biden
Sep 8, 2004

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

What model do you have?

http://www.amazon.com/Breville-BOV650XL-Compact-4-Slice-Element/dp/B00357YS3A this one (thanks mom and dad)

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

Maybe not more fertile but the ladies will be able to tell you eat 'dines and they'll be all up on you.

Some may soon walk the other way due to fish breath, but the one's that stay will be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

the yeti posted:

Y'all got me buying odd brands of canned fish now just to see what they're like. Thanks thread.

Ditto. I'm waiting for my Royal Taster's Kit so I had mackerel on the brain. Grabbed this from the asian supermarket and had for lunch the other day:

Just ok. The fish was hammered to the point where it was even still like it was crisp on the outside almost, but the "chili" sauce was just sweet and uninteresting. Doused with grace until interesting. Still, a worthwhile experiment.