Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I thought that was a pretty good episode, better than ep 1, but still had a few problems.

Why did the Hawks not know what the knife was, didn't it turn up in the Arrow/Flash crossover?

The Tiny Atom suit was funny, but looked so cheap. The other Atom shots were actually pretty fun though.

Someone else mentioned it earlier but we never really see Captain Cold's "absolute zero" freeze gun actually freeze anything anymore.

That was absolutely Dahrks mansion, and I think it will probably end up being a story point more than just budgety reasons.

Dahrk also trying to buy nukes in the 70s was pretty funny.

Rip is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Valeyard posted:

Why did the Hawks not know what the knife was, didn't it turn up in the Arrow/Flash crossover?

Someone mentioned that the crossover was in production after the Legends pilot was, or something like that, so there's going to be some inconsistencies.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Whizbang posted:

But that's telling, not showing. For the audience, he's still just a murder hobo.

How many times do you need to see it?
The very first scene of the episode 1 shows Mr Murder hobo, his army and warmachines shooting up everyone, while Rip hunter says he conquered the whole planet.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

adhuin posted:

How many times do you need to see it?
The very first scene of the episode 1 shows Mr Murder hobo, his army and warmachines shooting up everyone, while Rip hunter says he conquered the whole planet.

The problem is that he was established as a dude who only wants to kill two people every 25 years. And was very murdered by four superheroes working together. Now he's taken over the world and half a dozen superheroes can't get him.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

boom boom boom posted:

The problem is that he was established as a dude who only wants to kill two people every 25 years. And was very murdered by four superheroes working together. Now he's taken over the world and half a dozen superheroes can't get him.

He was? We don't know much about his past misdeeds other than he has been in center of many past political/military upheavals.
That doesn't sound like a couch potato that gets himself extra crispy hawksnacks every 20 years or so.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

adhuin posted:

He was? We don't know much about his past misdeeds other than he has been in center of many past political/military upheavals.
That doesn't sound like a couch potato that gets himself extra crispy hawksnacks every 20 years or so.

There was a crossover episode of the Flash and Arrow that established his character. Legends of Tomorrow is a spinoff of those two shows.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

boom boom boom posted:

There was a crossover episode of the Flash and Arrow that established his character. Legends of Tomorrow is a spinoff of those two shows.

Said crossover also described him as a political and military leader that once killed thousands of people to get to his main objective.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

computer parts posted:

Said crossover also described him as a political and military leader that once killed thousands of people to get to his main objective.

Not to mention that he blew up the Central City. He was not exactly a pushover in the crossover.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Why are we saying Savage is a murder hobo like it's a bad thing? We don't have enough murder hobos on television, we need more stabbin' hobos, not less!

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Xealot posted:

Hey, if Legends could've swung Burn Gorman as the villain...well, they didn't. But he's a real commodity.

Oh, you motherfucker. Yeah, that would have done it.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I loved Forever so, so much.
Mixed up my immortal shows.

I was thinking of Moonlight. :lol: Forever was pretty good, too.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The best show about immortals was Highlander: The Series.

Heh, if they'd known they were going to make this before they cast Eiling on Flash, they could've saved Clancy Brown to play Vandal Savage.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Wheat Loaf posted:

The best show about immortals was Highlander: The Series.

Heh, if they'd known they were going to make this before they cast Eiling on Flash, they could've saved Clancy Brown to play Vandal Savage.

Now that would have been a threatening villain.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Clancy Brown is fantastic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I too love me some Clancy Brown but he's looking just a tad too old to be playing a threatening Immortal.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I liked this episode. The dialogue from telling Hunter to gently caress off to "Master Race over here" was great. Firestorm shrugging off a nuke was a bit much. Jackson Jefferies...state of him. Man, he's just the worst. So's Hawkman. They shouldn't have introduced Kendra and had her drop everything to be Hawkgirl in the same crossover. It made him come off as ULTRA creepy, granted of course that Hawkman has been terrible since forever. Salute to Kendra for doing gently caress all in that fight. I couldn't even feel for Hawkman in death, time travel is afoot and he's a reincarnater. They could just go to any other point in the past 4000 years or whatever and pick him up. Same dude.

The wibbly wobbly stuff is hard to keep up with. If he got unmarried from his wife, shouldn't he not even have any recollection of her? He flat didn't meet her.

Caity Lotz is so drat beautiful. Blazed Canary could be the best show ever.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

SonicRulez posted:

I liked this episode. The dialogue from telling Hunter to gently caress off to "Master Race over here" was great. Firestorm shrugging off a nuke was a bit much.

Eh, that's just his powerset. He can shrug off a nuke, but whack him with a sturdy rake and he's out.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

SonicRulez posted:

The wibbly wobbly stuff is hard to keep up with. If he got unmarried from his wife, shouldn't he not even have any recollection of her? He flat didn't meet her.

Rip mentioned that changes to time take a while to fully work themselves out, like cement drying. The ring disappearing was the immediate consequence of the wibbly wobbly, presumably if they'd done nothing about it Martin's past and recollections thereof would have eventually changed to fit the new timeline.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

The Lord Bude posted:

Forever was amazing.

:agreed:

Forever's antagonist was believably scary, because they managed to communicate the idea that Adam had been around for thousands of years and was incredibly dangerous - not because he was immortal or because he had powers or anything, but rather because anybody with the sheer amount of time and life experience that he had has seen anything you can come up with and probably more besides, and is always 12 steps ahead of you.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

SonicRulez posted:

He's got until he's completely faded from the photo to make sure his parents still get together, its fine.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Time paradoxes usually don't seem to affect the person or people who created them.

(unless they do)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Valeyard posted:

That was absolutely Dahrks mansion, and I think it will probably end up being a story point more than just budgety reasons.

If so I'll be interested in how they explain it moving from Norway to Starling.

The DC Instagram account is saying that Hourman, Sandman, and Ma Hunkel are coming to the show. I bet Ma Hunkel looks better than Supergirl's Red Tornado.

X-O fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 1, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So how many characters is that confirmed then? They've also said Jonah Hex is showing up.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

CainsDescendant posted:

Rip mentioned that changes to time take a while to fully work themselves out, like cement drying. The ring disappearing was the immediate consequence of the wibbly wobbly, presumably if they'd done nothing about it Martin's past and recollections thereof would have eventually changed to fit the new timeline.

First rule of time travel is, don't think too hard about time travel.

XboxPants posted:

Eh, that's just his powerset. He can shrug off a nuke, but whack him with a sturdy rake and he's out.
Similarly, don't think too hard about superpowers. Firestorm absorbed the energy from a nuclear bomb. This is Firestorm unleashing his full strength energy blast:

This is Vandal Savage, immediately after:

Didn't even muss up his hair. Or knock the buttons off his coat. Or melt them. Or do...anything.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 1, 2016

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Does Savage have a healing factor? Like, if you cut off his arm, would it grow back, or would he just be a one-armed immortal guy for 1,000 years?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Gonz posted:

Does Savage have a healing factor? Like, if you cut off his arm, would it grow back, or would he just be a one-armed immortal guy for 1,000 years?

Comics have a lot of dispute (not as bad as Wolverine though), but generally he has some healing factor.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Considering he came back from a pile of ash I'd say he would probably regrow the arm.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

muscles like this? posted:

Considering he came back from a pile of ash I'd say he would probably regrow the arm.

Then again we don't know what Merlyn did exactly but he had to do something to get the ash-pile back into a human shape. So Vandal probably would have to glue the arm back on or use a donor-arm :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In the comics he would harvest the organs of his descendants as needed.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Binary Logic posted:

First rule of time travel is, don't think too hard about time travel.

Similarly, don't think too hard about superpowers. Firestorm absorbed the energy from a nuclear bomb. This is Firestorm unleashing his full strength energy blast:

This is Vandal Savage, immediately after:

Didn't even muss up his hair. Or knock the buttons off his coat. Or melt them. Or do...anything.

I wonder if (either in LoT or maybe in future seasons of The Flash) we'll ever see them explore Firestorm's weirder powers. I really only remember him from the 80s Justice League cartoons, but he can like transform matter on the atomic level, which is a neat power IMO.

boom boom boom posted:

To be fair, he was beaten by somewhere between 4 and 7 heroes (in the do-over the rest of the Arrow gang shows up to fight, right?), the key 2 heroes of Green Arrow and Flash (who for all intents and purposes are the Batman and Superman of the CW universe) did a lot of heavy lifting, and even then the good guys needed a do-over because the first time they tried to stop him they screwed up and got like all of Central City nuked. I'm not in love w/ Savage because so far we haven't seen anywhere near the charisma of Barrowman or Cavanaugh here....but luckily the show is plenty loaded with fun and charming heroes, so a de-emphasized villain is alright by me.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I wonder if (either in LoT or maybe in future seasons of The Flash) we'll ever see them explore Firestorm's weirder powers. I really only remember him from the 80s Justice League cartoons, but he can like transform matter on the atomic level, which is a neat power IMO.

To be fair, he was beaten by somewhere between 4 and 7 heroes (in the do-over the rest of the Arrow gang shows up to fight, right?), the key 2 heroes of Green Arrow and Flash (who for all intents and purposes are the Batman and Superman of the CW universe) did a lot of heavy lifting, and even then the good guys needed a do-over because the first time they tried to stop him they screwed up and got like all of Central City nuked. I'm not in love w/ Savage because so far we haven't seen anywhere near the charisma of Barrowman or Cavanaugh here....but luckily the show is plenty loaded with fun and charming heroes, so a de-emphasized villain is alright by me.

There was a deleted scene from the season 1 finale that shows Ronnie/Stein Firestorm turning a thermometer into a flower for Caitlin, so they can't say they wouldn't be able to.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

X-O posted:

The DC Instagram account is saying that Hourman, Sandman, and Ma Hunkel are coming to the show. I bet Ma Hunkel looks better than Supergirl's Red Tornado.

It'll be interesting to see which ones they use. I'd imagine the classic Golden Age versions with that lineup, but who knows.

Scyantific posted:

There was a deleted scene from the season 1 finale that shows Ronnie/Stein Firestorm turning a thermometer into a flower for Caitlin, so they can't say they wouldn't be able to.

Given that it's a deleted scene though, it might been what was originally intended but then dropped in editing.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Scyantific posted:

Oh then I have to imagine they'll definitely do it at some point. Maybe they're just waiting for an appropriately dramatic moment for a Prof. Stein voiceover to explain that "maybe we can do this but WE MIGHT FAIL??" (then they don't fail).

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

X-O posted:

Is it too much to dream that Margo Martindale will play Ma Hunkel?

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe
Grimey Drawer
There's an otherworld's comic where Vandal Savage burns up in renetry in a crashing space station and regenerates from a charred skeleton back to life (though it took some time). Rip also said that as long as a single cell remains he can't die so I think the show is operating under similar basis.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I hope Sandman is the trench coat/fedora/gas mask version, and Hourman is the functional addict. Maybe they can finally tie "Mirakuru" from Arrow into Rex Tyler's power-granting Miraclo pills.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

adhuin posted:

Not to mention that he blew up the Central City. He was not exactly a pushover in the crossover.

Exactly. Everyone glosses over the fact that Barry was only able to beat him by save scumming.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Lord Bude posted:

Exactly. Everyone glosses over the fact that Barry was only able to beat him by save scumming.

Well he also had his magic city nuking staff. He doesn't have the magic staff yet(or anymore? did they blow it up too I can't remember).

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

WarLocke posted:

:agreed:

Forever's antagonist was believably scary, because they managed to communicate the idea that Adam had been around for thousands of years and was incredibly dangerous - not because he was immortal or because he had powers or anything, but rather because anybody with the sheer amount of time and life experience that he had has seen anything you can come up with and probably more besides, and is always 12 steps ahead of you.

Also, on a more philosophical level, he was scary because he showed what happens to a person when they have no fear of death. After thousands of years of life, all empathy or sense of moral purpose had rotted away, and all that was left of him was a sociopath who saw in humanity its worst and most corrupt qualities. The discourse between Henry (a humanist) and Adam (an absolute nihilist) was the best part of the show, by far.

But it's hard to have the villain express a complex personal ethos on a pulp superhero show starring Dr. Who and the Discount Avengers. I just wish Vandal Savage was a more entertaining kind of ridiculous than he is. If we're sticking to Burn Gorman roles, I want Karl Tanner, the fuhkin' legend of Gin Alley.

"Watch me drink wine out of the skull of Carter Hall." Embrace straight-up cartoonish villainy, but in a Conan kind of way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Xealot posted:

But it's hard to have the villain express a complex personal ethos on a pulp superhero show starring Dr. Who and the Discount Avengers. I just wish Vandal Savage was a more entertaining kind of ridiculous than he is. If we're sticking to Burn Gorman roles, I want Karl Tanner, the fuhkin' legend of Gin Alley.

Please, the Discount Avengers would have had Green Arrow and Flash along. They're the Discount Doom Patrol, and I'm only saying that because I actually like the plucky underdogs.

• Locked thread