Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

boom boom boom posted:

Honestly, her problem is that it's like she only plays games she doesn't like. She should play some Atelier games or something.

I think it'd be besides the point to delve into ultraniche games. I don't keep up with TvW, but I had the impression that it focuses mainly on how the issues she's concerned with are handled in mainstream gaming.

Motto fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Motto posted:

I think it'd be besides the point to delve into ultraniche games. I don't keep up with TvW, but I had the impression that it focuses mainly on how the issues she's concerned with are handled in mainstream gaming.

She talked about Shadows of the Damned. That game sold like, 17 copies.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

DStecks posted:

I'm kinda sad looking at the episode listing for Tropes vs Women S2, seeing that it's all going to be dead-obvious stuff; but I'm even sadder knowing that that's where games are at. Extra Credits did an episode about "True Female Characters", but it's pretty clear that Anita would be very happy with female characters being written the same as male ones because that would be a major step up from being a collection of sex pixels who exist to get murdered so the player can get revenge.

Nothing has topped her "Sacrifice your girlfriend" video. That was pure :stare:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Wait, what?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Just going to point out that any place that lets Wickedhate post is probably a pretty bad place.

Toodles

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

What I found astonishing was just the sheer number of examples, in games I had heard of but hadn't happened to play. That is the grossest trope.

I think the best part of any TvW video though was the montage of "In [Game Name Here], your wife is murdered and you have to rescue your daughter", that goes on for like three minutes, her tone never wavering. That was the one time the super-direct no-sarcasm tone of the earlier episodes helped to sell a moment; it was like the video essay equivalent of the rake gag from The Simpsons.

I am quite pleased though with the more snarky tone of Season 2, much more approachable than "I'm going to stare directly into your soul for 2 unbroken minutes".

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

watho posted:

Has it gotten good or is it still trying way too hard to be like fyad-senpai?
Its better than when Zorak was the mod :v:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

BigRed0427 posted:

Wait, what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toa_vH6xGqs

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

achillesforever6 posted:

Its better than when Zorak was the mod :v:

They made the worst possible person the follow-up mod.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
Okay, my tolerance for Google-bullshit-sorting is fairly low today. Can anyone post a rundown of WTF the "Fine Bros" drama is?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

lornekates posted:

Okay, my tolerance for Google-bullshit-sorting is fairly low today. Can anyone post a rundown of WTF the "Fine Bros" drama is?
Apparently they got upset because Ellen did some kind of 'reaction video' segment for her show and they're claiming they own the concept? I think that's what happened.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

lornekates posted:

They trademarked their formula of videos and started a thing where you can license that formula with the "react world" program where you make their content for them and they'll take an undisclosed percentage of any money you make off of it. They claim that it was a way to involve their community in the content creation process or some other buzzword bullshit.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

lornekates posted:

The Fine Bros are currently applying for a trademark on reaction videos, including the word "react" and the vague concept of people being filmed reacting to things. The goal is to allow other content providers to "license" their brand in exchange for a cut of the profits. It probably won't make it through court, but it's pretty clear how the Fine Bros could potentially use those vague trademarks to extort and bully smaller content creators.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

HorseRenoir posted:

The Fine Bros are currently applying for a trademark on reaction videos, including the word "react" and the vague concept of people being filmed reacting to things. The goal is to allow other content providers to "license" their brand in exchange for a cut of the profits. It probably won't make it through court, but it's pretty clear how the Fine Bros could potentially use those vague trademarks to extort and bully smaller content creators.

Really, they're doing this the worst possible way. when you want to trademark something like "react" or "candy" you need to do it as under the radar as possible, since you're basically banking on whatever clerk looks at your file doesn't look at it too hard.

making it a big thing before it's final is making it more likely the clerk is aware of it (probably from thousands of people emailing the patent office complaining that it's clearly insane).

Also please remember that Tim Langdell had the patent on the word "edge" in video games for, like, 20 years, so this actually has precedent.

(As an aside, the only reason he lost his trademark was because he was a big enough idiot to try suing EA over Mirrors Edge)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Not sure if this is more or less ridiculous than Sony's attempt to trademark "Let's Play".

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think they said they're trademarking their specific title and formula/method, since their channel is called "the react channel." As for originality, they seem to have a bunker somewhere where they're holding a bunch of kids and old people that they make play Battletoads and watch Daler Mendhi videos against their will.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Jack Gladney posted:

I think they said they're trademarking their specific title and formula/method, since their channel is called "the react channel." As for originality, they seem to have a bunker somewhere where they're holding a bunch of kids and old people that they make play Battletoads and watch Daler Mendhi videos against their will.

They've said that, but their actual trademark application is way less specific: http://superfame.com/post/fine-brothers-copyright-react-trademark/

Keep in mind that the Fine Bros consider this video an example of infringement on their "brand": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CMS9xnBRkc

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I can't hate Baal, I was a guest on his short lived PSP wrestling podcast that descended into pure anarchy and chaos that we and everyone else on it ended up as blood brothers having survived it. Plus he was more casual than Zorak and didn't post a gigantic paragraph about how being the mod of an anime subforum broke his love of anime.

That being said Zorak's LPs are much better

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Do you mean baal or do you mean bad seafood, and why

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

FirstAidKite posted:

I believe forbidden (now mandatory) lesbian was mod immediately after. They didn't last long.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

HorseRenoir posted:

They've said that, but their actual trademark application is way less specific: http://superfame.com/post/fine-brothers-copyright-react-trademark/

Keep in mind that the Fine Bros consider this video an example of infringement on their "brand": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CMS9xnBRkc

Wait, did they really try to take that video down?

I was thinking it was just the internet blowing things out of proportion, but hahaha wow, that is ridiculous.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

HorseRenoir posted:

That's loving wretched. Burn them down, but save that one old guy (Lloyd?) and give him his own show.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

To think my sociology professor used their honey nuts cheerios video to demonstrate children being less racist in mindset.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Yeah they've got many cute and heartwarming videos and even more hilarious videos.

But on the other hand, they also had "Teens React to Newtown School Shooting" and "Teens React to Amanda Todd Suicide", so I guess this latest move shouldn't surprise me too much.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

FourLeaf posted:

Yeah they've got many cute and heartwarming videos and even more hilarious videos.

But on the other hand, they also had "Teens React to Newtown School Shooting" and "Teens React to Amanda Todd Suicide", so I guess this latest move shouldn't surprise me too much.

What's wrong with those videos? They were basically just long-form PSAs from what I remember.

Idran fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 1, 2016

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Idran posted:

What's wrong with those videos? They were basically just long-form PSAs from what I remember.

Most people think that monetizing videos about tragedies is a tad gauche.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

senae posted:

Wait, they were monetized? Well never mind then.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

senae posted:

More than how every video on youtube does that? Like they put an ad in the middle or something?

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Jack Gladney posted:

More than how every video on youtube does that? Like they put an ad in the middle or something?

No, that's an option for monetization. You can choose individually for uploaded videos between the video ad at the start, the banner ad, or nothing at all.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

I believe forbidden (now mandatory) lesbian was mod immediately after. They didn't last long.

Nope, they were never mod there

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

FirstAidKite posted:

The former.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You called?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Baal posted:

You called?

Hey dude~! Long time no see.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I forgot you reregged, how are you WickedHate?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Baal posted:

You called?

Not really.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Baal posted:

I forgot you reregged, how are you WickedHate?

Decent, for a tumultuous year so far.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's good to hear.

Lol

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Late-ish, but finally watched Todd in the Shadows Best of 2k15, I'm stupidly happy Style is no. 1.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I have come to defend Baal's honour as a maiden from the sad brains in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Compendium posted:

Late-ish, but finally watched Todd in the Shadows Best of 2k15, I'm stupidly happy Style is no. 1.

I don't always agree with his taste, but I appreciate how well he expresses it. It's actually kind of a shame the "best of" vids are so unpopular, since I like them about equally to the "worst of."

• Locked thread