Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

The sequel will use this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH1bZ0F3zVU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Tevery Best posted:

Can anyone knowledgeable suggest what the advantages of this particular projection are, and why it was probably chosen?

I don't know the specifics of the projection, but I suspect they were trying to avoid a situation like in the Silent Hunter games where a flat map meant that, say, a Type-X U-Boat didn't actually have enough fuel to reach America with historical specifications because the distance increases substantially when you're not taking a great circle route.

e: Fun visualization tool for great circle routes on a Mercator projection: http://www.greatcirclemapper.net/en/great-circle-mapper.html?route=LAX-HNL-HND&advanced=1&aircraft=&speed=

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 30, 2016

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Grey Hunter posted:

drat them, they have armed their policemen! Of wait, they are rules by America, that's normal for them. I forgot I wasn't fighting a civilized country in the Philippines.

The Philippine Constabulary has an interesting history as an armed force. It had been founded by the Americans as a national police force after they took the Philippines over, but spent most of its early years as a paramilitary organization, hunting anti-American rebels. Then in 1935, when the law setting up the Filipino army was passed, it was incorporated into the army, and, in 1936, a new State Police force was created. That didn't last, and in 1938, the State Police were disbanded, and the Constabulary separated from the Army and became its own force again. Then, in 1941, when the US Army Forces in the Far East were created, the Constabulary got swept up into that. Most of the Constabulary wound up in Bataan during the war and died either in the Death March or at the camp in Capas after surrendering.

fredleander
Dec 7, 2015

Grey Hunter posted:

drat them, they have armed their policemen! Of wait, they are rules by America, that's normal for them. I forgot I wasn't fighting a civilized country in the Philippines.

The Constabulary did a quite good job, too - often better than the regular Philippine Army. Particularly in the first phase at Mindanao. They were more like a Militia than a police force. Made you lose some, too..

Grey Hunter posted:

Our troops hit the beaches on Manado (!!), as we push forward on the small bases. I have to keep the momentum up somehow!

You sure do - you're way behind schedule. Compared with the RL, anyway.

fredleander fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 30, 2016

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Tevery Best posted:

Can anyone knowledgeable suggest what the advantages of this particular projection are, and why it was probably chosen?

IIRC it's an azimuthal equidistant projection, which means that both directions and distances are all the same when measured from its central point. Not so good at the rim, but great for letting hexes be of the same size around the center of the map.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
So once Changsha falls China can't create new units, right?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

CongoJack posted:

So once Changsha falls China can't create new units, right?

No, the key hex for the Chinese is Chungking, which is further up in the mountains.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It makes sense that they would go for max resolution on the islands, because that's where the war is and where being able to separate each little island off into its own base is important.

Is everything actually in the right place? Have they shuffled things all over the place for the sake of map-usability?

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

gohuskies posted:

No, the key hex for the Chinese is Chungking, which is further up in the mountains.

Ok that makes a lot more sense

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Grey Hunter posted:

It would be nice to know this is doing something.

It's certainly consuming your supply points!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I figure this thread is as good a place as any to ask, what was going on in the Dutch colonial possessions after the German occupation but before the Japanese invasion?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Tense business as usual. By which I mean somewhat strained colonial relations with a native population who didn't like them very much.

Militarily, they cooperated with the Far East fleet and mostly based out of Allied bases.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Yeh. The basis behind this particular map projection was it gives roughly equal hex size/distance near the middle of the pacific/se asia, where the war mainly takes place.

Every map projection is going to be a compromise of one sort or another, anyhow. The perils of living on a spherical world and projecting things onto a flat screen.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

goatface posted:

Tense business as usual. By which I mean somewhat strained colonial relations with a native population who didn't like them very much.

Militarily, they cooperated with the Far East fleet and mostly based out of Allied bases.

I found the Dutch efficiency in the Pacific kind of funny coming from how easy the Dutch are to roll over in Decisive Campaigns: Warsaw to Paris.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Generation Internet posted:

I found the Dutch efficiency in the Pacific kind of funny coming from how easy the Dutch are to roll over in Decisive Campaigns: Warsaw to Paris.

I assume there are no Roman-numeraled Dutch naval assets in DC:WtO.

(Seriously: the Dutch naval assets in WitP are excellent. There other stuff is chaff.)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I like collecting the Dutch navy together and forming a little elite raider group :3: Dutch cruisers and submarines are fantastic.

Shame about the air force though. Do they ever upgrade their outdated Buffalos and Dorniers? I feel like at some point they turn into P40's?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Clunk! Mwah ha ha!

Troops hit Buna. Time to see if we can rush Port Moresby!

The next wave of reinforcements for Johore is coming. We hold off the attackers.

The Americans are keeping us at bay with a constant bombardment.

Once more we slam into the enemy lines at Changsha. They come off worse once more.

Once more we wait for troops to move up.

Somebody made it home however! I bet the Allies are claiming her as a kill – I know I would!

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
One month repair is absolutely nothing considering. Very lucky.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
31 days? With that much serious engine damage? gently caress, must just need some new screws, a few compartments resealing, and the magazine replaced.

It was the magazine that exploded wasn't it?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

This game really seems to love having ships get bombed to pieces, go up in raging flames, lose 90% of their structure and engines, take half a dozen torpedo explosions below the water line, and then calmly sail across the whole Pacific and get repaired.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I'm surprised it's not still on fire.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Generation Internet posted:

This is entirely off topic but don't a lot of wargames deliberately underrepresent the armies in Western Europe so Germany can win against a French player with the benefit of hindsight?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Hey Grey, logistical question about running an LP like this of a grognard game: during turn resolution do you just take a ton of screenshots and then only come back and post/comment on the ones that turned out to be most interesting?

I've thought about doing a grog AAR or something before and I can't decide if it would be easier to just spam print screen or just take a video turn and then grab frames from the video as screenshots after the fact.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

James Garfield posted:

This is entirely off topic but don't a lot of wargames deliberately underrepresent the armies in Western Europe so Germany can win against a French player with the benefit of hindsight?
If France uses tanks in a proper way and doesn't ignore the Ardenne area and the Soviet Union doesn't click the reset button on their army organization then being Germany would be a swift painful thing yeah.

There's a mod in Men of War where they limit equipment to specific years and unlock the French nation and playing Germans vs France\Soviet Union is comically frustrating because the B1 and the KV are effectively bulletproof.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

megane posted:

This game really seems to love having ships get bombed to pieces, go up in raging flames, lose 90% of their structure and engines, take half a dozen torpedo explosions below the water line, and then calmly sail across the whole Pacific and get repaired.

Or they take one good hit and sink immediately in calm seas. I'd like to see how excessively granular the ship damage model actually is.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

James Garfield posted:

I think they sometimes have to introduce somewhat arbitrary limits on France & the USSR because it is hard to realistically emulate how badly they did in 1940.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

megane posted:

In real life the USS North Carolina took a torpedo and got a 30 foot sized hole under the water line during Guadalcanal and made it back to Pearl Harbor.

When Grey Hunter played as the Allies he managed to get her sunk when she wandered too close to IJAA Betties. As she was limping home from a torpedo hole.

Also in the Allied campaign there was a patrol boat that was attacked for a few weeks on some random atoll and kept dodging the bombs the IJN was dropping on it for some weird reason. The game really loves to get fixated on ONE THING RIGHT THERE I WILL TAKE IT and a good player can exploit it. There's a reason Eniwetok atoll became famous during the allies LP.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

James Garfield posted:

Not just the French, this happens quite a bit with the Soviets too.

CannonFodder posted:

Also in the Allied campaign there was a patrol boat that was attacked for a few weeks on some random atoll and kept dodging the bombs the IJN was dropping on it for some weird reason. The game really loves to get fixated on ONE THING RIGHT THERE I WILL TAKE IT and a good player can exploit it. There's a reason Eniwetok atoll became famous during the allies LP.

What essentially happens is that the AI goes down a list of targets to take in its script, gets to X location, and starts throwing assets at it, but since the AI sucks at collating assets before committing to an operation, you usually get penny-packet attacks that are easily fended off.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

CannonFodder posted:

Funny thing about that is that there was this four stacker destroyer called the USS Edsall that was somewhat like this. Except instead of dodging bombs for weeks, the Edsall was dodging shellfire from two battleships and two cruisers for hours until the guy in charge of the task force asked for the Kido Butai to personally dive bomb this one destroyer so their shells can actually hit for once.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
A ship with below 50 systems damage or so will be able to do a good job putting out fires and fixing the "minor" damage to flotation and the engine. The major damage to those types needs to be fixed in port, but if they are below 60 or so as well you can usually make it back, as long as you go slow (high speeds will tend to exacerbate flood damage) and avoid any air and submarine attacks. The higher they get the more likely something goes wrong.

The real danger is, as systems damage gets higher, it may be impossible to keep the flooding from getting worse (or, right after an engagement, it might be impossible to contain fires). Then you are screwed.

But if you can contain the initial damage you have an excellent chance of getting home as long as you are in friendly waters.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Danann posted:

Funny thing about that is that there was this four stacker destroyer called the USS Edsall that was somewhat like this. Except instead of dodging bombs for weeks, the Edsall was dodging shellfire from two battleships and two cruisers for hours until the guy in charge of the task force asked for the Kido Butai to personally dive bomb this one destroyer so their shells can actually hit for once.
The actual War In The Pacific had so much crazy poo poo go down that the grogs that update the game can point to all sorts of places to explain the game mechanics.

And they point at the UI and say "MANAGING A THEATRE OF WAR IS HARD"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

CannonFodder posted:

The actual War In The Pacific had so much crazy poo poo go down that the grogs that update the game can point to all sorts of places to explain the game mechanics.

And they point at the UI and say "MANAGING A THEATRE OF WAR IS HARD"

Technically if you did have Nimitz's entire CINCPAC staff working for you then the game would be manageable, so

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Hey, they went with the Supplies abstraction instead of tracking every little piece. I'm honestly surprised aviation fuel isn't a thing, for example.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Why is it that squads destroyed matters more than numbers lost? I keep on seeing the attacks on Changsha resulting in even losses but apparently they're going well? Isn't a disabled squad as useless for the next attack as a destroyed one?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Why is it that squads destroyed matters more than numbers lost? I keep on seeing the attacks on Changsha resulting in even losses but apparently they're going well? Isn't a disabled squad as useless for the next attack as a destroyed one?

A disabled squad only needs supplies and rest to be rebuilt.

A destroyed squad needs manpower points and industry points to be rebuilt, time to be placed back in the unit pool, and more time to be drawn from the unit pool into a combat unit, and the combat unit itself needs lots of supplies and needs to be in rest/refit mode.

In terms of a day-by-day battle, destroyed units also mean that you're winning.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Oh I understand, so the losses number doesn't represent only dead dudes or critically injured, but also dudes that just passed out and need some food and sleep to be back on the field?

That makes a lot more sense.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yup. If two sides report "2000 casualties" but one side has "22 destroyed, 200 disabled" while the other side has "122 destroyed, 100 disabled", the latter side is in much deeper trouble because they have far fewer soldiers who will "regenerate" on-site.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

We bomb Bataan again.

Its taken these buggers a month to march 40 miles up from Davao.

That's a nice big ship.

Buna falls without a fight, time to march a long the trail!

We should win here, but the terrain is in their favour.

Another couple of bases fall, but not much else to report.

12 points is not bad!

Its that time of the month again!

So, we're doing ok score wise – our own score is lower, mainly due to the fact that no one is admitting we sunk anything at Pearl Harbor. Its a giant cover up.

We're on target here.

This one is just weird, I'm doing better than the AI here, but the AI is doing better than me. I guess that means different bases have fallen.

The air war went very quiet this month, so I'm not doing the damage to the Allies I would have hoped.

We already know I care less about my pixelmen than the AI. Move along.

Keep moving, this is just the fact that the fog of war has been switched – but look at the fact my ship losses are lower – this could be very important if I keep it up!

My apparent inability to conduct surprise attacks shows here as well. The direction is the same, but I lack the huge jump from the battleships.

One of these has to be real, right?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Is it normally just really hard to pull of Pearl Harbor in WitP or are you just stupendously unlucky?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Soooo, I discovered this thread on Friday and read it over the weekend. Somehow didn't think "oh hey I bet Grey will restart his LP this november" last year.

Anywhoo, hi everyone. GH, I'm happy to post for you when you're on vacation/etc. per the usual arrangement. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that after your wife goes into labor, there might be the odd day here and there where you don't have time for posting pretend war posts on the internet.