Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
With the rare games, marks, and Chaos killed I don't ever need to go back to the Necrohol of Nabudis! Yay we did it

I was pretty underleveled for the fight with Chaos(62-65), but was able to beat him after like 10 minutes and constant use of phoenix downs, raise spells, and elixirs. Too bad if I use him he'll hit like a kitten and have the durability of a wet napkin like most Espers in FFXII :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah Espers in FF12 don't really work right, but they sure look cool! I love them all especially 'cause they are all different from the usual FF roster.

I hope they show up in FF14 at some point.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yeah Espers in FF12 don't really work right, but they sure look cool! I love them all especially 'cause they are all different from the usual FF roster.

I'd at least expect a few more of them to pop up in the Sky Pirate raids (whatever comes after Void Ark).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

They do, kind of:

Notice the names of the opposing scions.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Oh yeah, now I remember why I really liked what I played of FFXII. Because Ivalice is really cool.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Armitage posted:

With the rare games, marks, and Chaos killed I don't ever need to go back to the Necrohol of Nabudis! Yay we did it

I was pretty underleveled for the fight with Chaos(62-65), but was able to beat him after like 10 minutes and constant use of phoenix downs, raise spells, and elixirs. Too bad if I use him he'll hit like a kitten and have the durability of a wet napkin like most Espers in FFXII :v:

Yeah, this was my experience with a lot of the fights too. I went through the game pretty low leveled (I think I was in the 50s for that fight. I know I fought Gilgamesh's final form at 52...), and it's easy to get party wiped and scrambling to get back on your feet with the backup team. I don't think I could've "let the game play itself" and win fights like that.

Chaos is really fun to use against Shemhazai in vanilla 12. Minor mechanics spoilers if you haven't fought Shemhazai yet: Shem switches her elemental weaknesses constantly, but Chaos can use pretty much every element and automatically targets weaknesses, so he keeps shifting spells to tear her up.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Augus posted:

Oh yeah, now I remember why I really liked what I played of FFXII. Because Ivalice is really cool.

It's one of my favorite persistent settings. It has gods, demons, fallen gods, airships, guns, ninjas, moogles, magic stones that can summon demons or bring people back to life, corrupt churches, stand-ins for factions fighting over medieval England... It's kind of sad that there aren't any more Ivalice games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, this was my experience with a lot of the fights too. I went through the game pretty low leveled (I think I was in the 50s for that fight. I know I fought Gilgamesh's final form at 52...), and it's easy to get party wiped and scrambling to get back on your feet with the backup team. I don't think I could've "let the game play itself" and win fights like that

Gilgamesh just requires you to consider your party's level before you go in so you're not getting slapped by his Level (x) spells and to take down Enkidu ASAP. If you bring Reddas along he makes a nice distraction. I didn't even have to touch my gambits for him at a similar level.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Gilgamesh was super fun underleveled without gambits. I worked out a successful strategy that was all about casting Reverse with perfect timing.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Gilgamesh was super fun underleveled without gambits. I worked out a successful strategy that was all about casting Reverse with perfect timing.

i worked out a successful strategy that was all about my main party getting one hit in and then dying, then subbing them out with the b team and using phoenix downs with perfect timing

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Evil Fluffy posted:

I picked up Trails in the Sky during the last Steam sale and it's pretty decent. Enemies can and will wreck you in short order if you aren't careful though. Maybe it changes later in the game but early on you can and will take significant damage from normal enemies and if they gang up on a character it hurts.

Or I'm just really bad at the game. That's also possible.

Yeah I've got that in my backlog, so I'll have to fire that up then once I finish replaying FFX/X-2 HD. Sounds good, I'd be happy with some more difficult turn-based combat. I'm tempted to jump into Trails of Cold Steel too, but I probably shouldn't make my backlog much bigger than it is already :)

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Have you played Final Fantasy Record Keeper on mobile? It scratches that itch for me.

Thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately I can't stand mobile games (I fully accept this might be due to me becoming an old fart). I've tried a fair few, just to be sure I wasn't just being curmudgeonly, but I've never found one that amused me for more than about 15 minutes. And so many of them seem to be free to play, which is a business model I hate. So at this point I'm just swearing off them entirely.

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

Currently doing the FFX endgame, on my actual PS2, which somehow still works despite the abuse it has suffered over the years.

Second try on Catcher Chocobo, 0.6.

An hour later :suicide:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

i worked out a successful strategy that was all about my main party getting one hit in and then dying, then subbing them out with the b team and using phoenix downs with perfect timing
Gitgudgamesh

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Armitage posted:

Well, I saw there's an Esper called Ultima but it looks like I definitely need to be 99 in order to stand a chance to get to it. Ran into a Mom Bomb and I didn't think HP and damage numbers could go that high outside of Yiazmat.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Armitage posted:

Well, I saw there's an Esper called Ultima but it looks like I definitely need to be 99 in order to stand a chance to get to it.
Not even a little bit true. FF12 is not that hard, you shouldn't need to be as high-level as you are to do things.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ultima also isn't the final esper, who you also don't have to be at level 99 to get.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm sure people have probably done everything in the game at level 1/no gambits/no license board/Penelo only or whatever XII's version of a challenge run is

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

But I meant just on a casual blind playthrough. Getting to Ultima is harder than fighting her, but you should be able to handle it at your level.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

The only real difficulty was the Mom Bombs. Most of the monsters at that part of the crystal do hit like a truck, but it's more manageable if there's one or two. Ultima was a pain but she eventually dropped right before she tried one last Holyja. The Sage Ring did come in handy and Penelo would have just revived who died anyway. I think I do need better equipment.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
If you don't really utilize the junction system effectively, Final Fantasy VIII is plenty challenging. It sort of encourages you to use GF attacks as a crutch, then in the endgame it kicks that crutch out from under you with anti-GF attacks.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Starting a playthrough of 12 with the Zodiac Job System. Are there any jobs that are must-avoids or must-haves?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Arrrthritis posted:

Starting a playthrough of 12 with the Zodiac Job System. Are there any jobs that are must-avoids or must-haves?

Not really, but certain characters do better in certain jobs.

Vaan makes a great Monk, Samurai, really anything as he's got the best Physical stat and the third best Mag stat.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pRNoNgG65Pk7sGQFlM3-g591q57Qvu46BU2oaV8p7qY/edit

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It's nice to have a character that can steal without having to actually acquire the steal gambit. White Mages are nice to have. Time Mages are nice to have. Breakers have their uses. Really any Job is good and you really should not worry too much about picking them. I went with the thematic picks myself, like making Basch a Knight, Balthier a Machinist, etc.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Don't use guns I think guns are like the worst weapon type in the game or something?

So I just made Balthier my red mage or something

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Gologle posted:

It's nice to have a character that can steal without having to actually acquire the steal gambit. White Mages are nice to have. Time Mages are nice to have. Breakers have their uses. Really any Job is good and you really should not worry too much about picking them. I went with the thematic picks myself, like making Basch a Knight, Balthier a Machinist, etc.

Well I think I might regret not taking a mage later but I think my party layout is going to be

Vaan: Hunter (already picked)
Penelo: Monk (Already picked)
Balthier: Machinist
Fran: Archer/Breaker (undecided)
Basch: Knight/Samurai (also undecided)
Ashe: Uhlan

i might regret it later but then again maybe it'll be fun like a FJF.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

voltcatfish posted:

Don't use guns I think guns are like the worst weapon type in the game or something?

So I just made Balthier my red mage or something

Final Fantasy XII ZJS challenge: Machinist for everyone!

I thought the guns ignored defense?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Guns are good but Balthier is bad at using them due to his animation for it being longer than everyone else's.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

They do flat damage regardless of stats. I'm not sure if that includes the enemies'.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Yeah, guns would be great for a low level run, and if you can get new ones early enough they remain really powerful compared to weapons that depend on your stats. But if you level up really high, then they fall off, comparatively.

Arrrthritis posted:

Well I think I might regret not taking a mage later but I think my party layout is going to be

Vaan: Hunter (already picked)
Penelo: Monk (Already picked)
Balthier: Machinist
Fran: Archer/Breaker (undecided)
Basch: Knight/Samurai (also undecided)
Ashe: Uhlan

i might regret it later but then again maybe it'll be fun like a FJF.

Ohh, yeah, going with zero mages is a questionable choice, since there are enemies that put up palings to block physical attacks, and white magic is the only way to get good group healing and easy access to defensive buffs. But Ashe has good magic stats and Uhlan gets some offensive magic. Monk and Knights can unlock some White Magic, but I recall it being pretty late and mostly locked behind Espers (by the way, be very careful who you give the espers to. They can totally change the way you play a class since a lot of important licenses are only available by giving certain espers to each class). Ditto for Machinists and some good time magic.

Time mages aren't really that bad; they're an interesting physical/magic hybrid. It's good to make someone like Basch the time magic for extra offensive power. Black Mages are great a nuking, especially since the damage cap has been removed. Red Mages are just all-around excellent, and don't share the problem RMs do in a lot of final fantasies by being good early and crap late. White Mages are of course good for buffing and healing, and with the right Espers you can give them Greatswords :black101:

God damnit when are they going to announce an official IZJS HD release.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Schwartzcough posted:

God damnit when are they going to announce an official IZJS HD release.

Seriously. Even just a "FFX HD met sales expectations" with an acknowledgement of what they said that meant about XII.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Endorph posted:

Guns are good but Balthier is bad at using them due to his animation for it being longer than everyone else's.

You do this specifically for me, I swear. The animation is, at most, .5 seconds slower than everybody else. Sure, that racks up over time in a long fight, but on a case by case, turn by turn basis, it's only half a second (at most, I don't myself actually remember how fast it is) slower than everyone else. IIRC too, all characters have variable speeds of not only shooting and also attacking with every weapon.

EDIT: It's not even, it's .2 seconds. Fran has the same lag with a bow and Penelo with a gun.

Gologle fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Feb 1, 2016

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i've heard a rumor Ashe is the fastest Samurai too :ssh:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

voltcatfish posted:

i've heard a rumor Ashe is the fastest Samurai too :ssh:

I thought she was the best stat-wise, as the only one who can get to natural 99 strength and 99 magic, but had a slow animation speed?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gologle posted:

You do this specifically for me, I swear.
i dont even know who you are

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

For IZJS you should do what I did and go with the classic six classes: white/black/red mage, knight, monk, and hunter (thief).

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

AlphaKretin posted:

I thought she was the best stat-wise, as the only one who can get to natural 99 strength and 99 magic, but had a slow animation speed?

Nope, Ashe and Vaan are the best Samurai's, Ashe has more Mag, he has more Strength

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Gologle posted:

EDIT: It's not even, it's .2 seconds. Fran has the same lag with a bow and Penelo with a gun.

This is actually a significant amount of time for what it is and will add up quickly, not slowly, when you are trying to optimise damage.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

This is actually a significant amount of time for what it is and will add up quickly, not slowly, when you are trying to optimise damage.

It's completely irrelevant in 99% of fights and practically irrelevant in the remaining 1%, just have Balthier shoot things if you want.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Josuke Higashikata posted:

:ssh: Gologle is really bad at videogames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

:ssh: Gologle is really bad at videogames.

In this case he's right though. It really doesn't matter that much unless you're doing some ridiculous challenge run where every potion and millisecond of time really really matters.