Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Have not spent money on MODO in several years, have a vintage deck now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I'll allow that it's probably harder to get started now that momir isn't basically a free roll.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Four Score posted:

there are idiots willing to pay thousands of dollars for my cardboard, my pixels are only worth a hundred at most

Modo cards are cheaper, but not anywhere I would consider reasonably cheaper in any format. Considering drafting on modo is the same as drafting paper is hilarious.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sickening posted:

Modo cards are cheaper, but not anywhere I would consider reasonably cheaper in any format. Considering drafting on modo is the same as drafting paper is hilarious.

It used to be like ~8-9 tix because boosters used to cost like 1.5 tix and then they "fixed" it by making events super stingy on payouts in boosters.

The "year of Modern" flashbacks are about 10 tix which is better value, but you can get them marginally cheaper depending on the format by just buying the boosters and using them to enter, although I suspect something like Lorwyn boosters which are 1.68 now, won't be 1.68 when Lorwyn is being drafted.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Errant Gin Monks posted:

With this many copies of Reflector Mage in day 2 who thinks it spikes to Swiftspear levels?

I say this because they are 70 cents right now and ere are hundreds of them. Get yours now.

It costs three mana so it probably won't make the cut for Modern, but I'm already starting to hate the card a little bit. I mean, it's cool, it's awesome, I loved it when it first came out and I want to build a deck for it, but watching a board grind down to nothing but Reflector Mages staring at each other after having bounced every other play is quickly getting tedious.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Voyager I posted:

It costs three mana so it probably won't make the cut for Modern, but I'm already starting to hate the card a little bit. I mean, it's cool, it's awesome, I loved it when it first came out and I want to build a deck for it, but watching a board grind down to nothing but Reflector Mages staring at each other after having bounced every other play is quickly getting tedious.

I'm being optimistic here but a good 3 drop might be what Retreating Knight Company needed.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

when reflector mage came out I argued on irc that it had an outside shot in modern because turn 3 reflector mage, end of turn 4 play resto flickering reflector mage

I don't think it'll actually be good enough though

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

It makes me sad knowing how much better my mono-black Eldrazi deck would be if Inverter of Truth wasn't garbage that instantly kills you when it eats a Murderous Cut

That's one of those cards where you think "this looks so terrible that it must be broken, right?" but alas it's just terrible.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

If it was The Suburbs Mage it would be pretty good but Reflektor Mage is overwrought and overproduced droning garbage that takes itself way too seriously

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Entropic posted:

That's one of those cards where you think "this looks so terrible that it must be broken, right?" but alas it's just terrible.

It's funny to me that its a mythic and Desecration Demon was a regular rare in a few precons.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
hey yall question about a chronicles blood moon I recieved from puca trade

The card immediately felt odd to me, like it was lighter or something. I don't have any other chronicles cards to compare it to but it looks a bit thinner than other cards I compared it to. I'm not used to handling cards that old so maybe it's me just being paranoid/inexperienced. It passes the light test, but the art on the front face is slightly off-center and the art on the back is noticeably off-center.

How concerned should I be that card might be fake?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

little munchkin posted:

The card immediately felt odd to me, like it was lighter or something. I don't have any other chronicles cards to compare it to but it looks a bit thinner than other cards I compared it to. I'm not used to handling cards that old so maybe it's me just being paranoid/inexperienced. It passes the light test, but the art on the front face is slightly off-center and the art on the back is noticeably off-center.

couple other tests you can try here

http://www.apathyhouse.com/fake/page334.php#336

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

little munchkin posted:

(from pucatrade)

Just look for hard edges on letters to show they were printed on a separate layer. Note that the dot pattern is going to be different on chronicles cards than the one shown here.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
yea I would have done that stuff if I had a blacklight or jewlers lens handy

just wondering if I should bother to look into it further

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

little munchkin posted:

Blood moon is a common faked card. Get it checked out

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

little munchkin posted:

If you're going to be trading for cards of any significant value spending :10bux: on a loupe seems like a real good investment.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Sickening posted:

Blood moon is a common faked card. Get it checked out

Agree. That said, old cards do feel "odd" sometimes, lighter and thinner. Most notably to me like homelands, fallen empires, chronicles, alliances, ice age.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
I have a question for you fine goons.

My wife and I don't play often, but over the last several years we've collected quite a few cards, so many I find making a deck is nearly impossible, it feels overwhelming. We don't play often enough to remember what cards we have if we want to change things up, so deck building is usually "this looks cool, I'm going to throw it in the mix".

Are there tools you use to organize your collections in software? Do you keep them in binders? Tools to help build decks?

Any help would be appreciated. We've been invited to join a gaming group that plays every other weekend, so we'd like to not just have the "ooh, this looks neat" decks when we show up.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

little munchkin posted:

Lol at everyone who is excited about the opportunity to pay 25$ for a bunch of limited fodder and dual lands at super-ultra-mythic rare

Agreed, BFZ Sealed is a bad format.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

little munchkin posted:

Lol at everyone who is excited about the opportunity to pay 25$ for a bunch of limited fodder and dual lands at super-ultra-mythic rare

Legacy Masters featured cards: force of will, expedition holographic card that just has maro shrugging when you spin it back and forth

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010

DigitalMocking posted:

Are there tools you use to organize your collections in software? Do you keep them in binders? Tools to help build decks?

Any help would be appreciated. We've been invited to join a gaming group that plays every other weekend, so we'd like to not just have the "ooh, this looks neat" decks when we show up.

I like to use deckbox to keep track of my cards. It also has a pretty robust deck building feature, and you can past decks in form other sources and it will match your collection to show you what you have and what you need.

I just remembered Shoebox MTG is another pretty nice one. You can import your lists from deckbox, and then compare your inventory to current decks in tournaments. It will match tournament decks by how close you are to having the deck. Its a pretty nice way to find out what format staples you have.

Deckbox is the best for inventory management. It can be annoying to get cards into it, but once they are in its really powerful and flexible.

Chairman Pow! fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 1, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Chairman Pow! posted:

I like to use deckbox to keep track of my cards. It also has a pretty robust deck building feature, and you can past decks in form other sources and it will match your collection to show you what you have and what you need.

I'll second Deckbox, lets you inventory cards, trade with other users, and build/maintain decks. Though I seem to recall there was a goon that hated it and swore he was going to make his own Deckbox-esque client from scratch, did that ever manifest itself?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

kizudarake posted:

You can still get conspiracy at 94 bucks a box.

I'm getting them for 89.99 and loving every minute of it. It's my favorite set I can remember and the print run is never ending. Something like conspiracy is what I was alluding to with the second example. Otherwise, just print from the vault: booster packs for 20 dollars a pop and not worry about having a balanced draft environment.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Start MTGO Pre-release draft, open Eldrazi displacer

i'm feeling good about this

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

little munchkin posted:

Not a completely accurate test but do the rosette test on the white border. Most of the counterfeits are digitally printed and will show a rosette even on a white space. I haven't come across a genuine card that has this. Same on the card back - on a real Magic card the black border on the back has a very tight almost solid diagonal pattern - fakes occasionally have this but the ones I've seen that do usually feel like fake cards.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

LOL I'm watching GP Vancouver on stream and all three drafters I've seen have drafted Mardu Allies.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Update: I opened Kozi's Return, I'm pretty sure that pays for the draft lol

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Chairman Pow! posted:

I just remembered Shoebox MTG is another pretty nice one. You can import your lists from deckbox, and then compare your inventory to current decks in tournaments. It will match tournament decks by how close you are to having the deck. Its a pretty nice way to find out what format staples you have.

Deckbox is the best for inventory management. It can be annoying to get cards into it, but once they are in its really powerful and flexible.

Thanks, my wife loves doing organizational stuff like this, she wants to get our entire collection entered.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Update 2: I put Kozi's return in my deck and then forgot to put in either of the 2 eldrazi i drafted specifically to trigger it

i'm good at this game

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I broke my hand recently and haven't gotten the practice in with OOB draft I want. Any tips for the format? Any lessons learned from the draft portion of the limited GP?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Entropic posted:

I mean I remember saying that Rally the Ancestors could be busted in something. But I don't really see any way to just this without Lab Maniac or something.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DigitalMocking posted:

I have a question for you fine goons.

My wife and I don't play often, but over the last several years we've collected quite a few cards, so many I find making a deck is nearly impossible, it feels overwhelming. We don't play often enough to remember what cards we have if we want to change things up, so deck building is usually "this looks cool, I'm going to throw it in the mix".

I used Decked, it lets me scan things in with my Laptop's webcam or Iphone, so 1500+ cards got put in only a couple of days, rather then typing each one in by hand. (Would have been way faster, but I was also alphabetizing them, and sorting them by Color / Type, which took for loving evvvverrrrr.)

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Potentially Shadows could have playable incidental self-mill that would give you a reasonably library after that flip that is a bit more spell heavy than your actual library.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I'm so glad that Delve isn't going to be in the same standard as Innistrad 2.0.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Turtlicious posted:

I used Decked, it lets me scan things in with my Laptop's webcam or Iphone, so 1500+ cards got put in only a couple of days, rather then typing each one in by hand. (Would have been way faster, but I was also alphabetizing them, and sorting them by Color / Type, which took for loving evvvverrrrr.)

oh my god, I need that. doing this by hand is just....

painful.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can I get some advice on my deck? I posted in the Brewhaus, but I wanted to get the General Opinion thread as well. This is for Magic Online, I want to start playing in a few of the tournaments and try to earn TiX or whatever.

I've been playing this infect deck http://deck.tk/25oy4SLC But I'm having trouble, as I don't always get Apostle's Blessing or Predator's strike in time. I want to swap in Live Wire Lashing, Unnatural Preadtion, and possibly Rancor, but I'm not sure which to switch OUT to make room for it!

What are your guys opinions? (budget is like 10 - 12 buckets more right now, I also have 5 tix.)

DigitalMocking posted:

oh my god, I need that. doing this by hand is just....

painful.

Yeah, well... It was :(

By the way, sorting cards for 18+ Hours will make you want to end your life.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Feb 1, 2016

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

By the way, we got the top 16 of Modern from SCG.

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/deckshow.php?&t[C1]=28&start_date=01/31/2016&end_date=01/31/2016&start=1&finish=16&event_ID=36&city=columbus&state=OH&country=US

Just copy and paste it, the brackets ruin everything. Notably, there's a G/R Scapeshift up there.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Alaan posted:

Potentially Shadows could have playable incidental self-mill that would give you a reasonably library after that flip that is a bit more spell heavy than your actual library.

Nah man Shadows Over Innistrad's all about bringing Madness back

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Turtlicious posted:

Can I get some advice on my deck? I posted in the Brewhaus, but I wanted to get the General Opinion thread as well. This is for Magic Online, I want to start playing in a few of the tournaments and try to earn TiX or whatever.

I've been playing this infect deck http://deck.tk/25oy4SLC But I'm having trouble, as I don't always get Apostle's Blessing or Predator's strike in time. I want to swap in Live Wire Lashing, Unnatural Preadtion, and possibly Rancor, but I'm not sure which to switch OUT to make room for it!

What are your guys opinions? (budget is like 10 - 12 buckets more right now, I also have 5 tix.)

Yeah, well... It was :(

By the way, sorting cards for 18+ Hours will make you want to end your life.

I just did 250 cards in like 40 minutes. Amazing.

The nerd in me wants to build a card reader with a little arduino and a stepper motor now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

This guy is running rampant in the finals draft with Jori En. He's drawn 4 cards off it or so this game and it's t8.

• Locked thread