Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

Well Geese, what you do is you look at the list of CW planets, and next to those planets' names will be a number XX(in red)/XX (in blue) Red are attackers and blue are defenders. Bigger numbers are better (on both sides) for getting a match quickly as a solo.

...wow, I feel like an idiot now. Dunno how I overlooked that list. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Oh Snapple! posted:

It needs to be added to the OP imo

This whole thread will end up in the OP someday.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Unboxing Day posted:

...wow, I feel like an idiot now. Dunno how I overlooked that list. Thanks.

maybe next time don't whiff a raging storm when someone has a power geyser ready to rock.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3

Washout posted:

Huh, no matter which side is blown off it will still do well, kinda interesting. But I'd change the lasers around to only have med pulses, 2 CT and 2 in each LT and RT.

I gave this some thought too and you're probably right, but in practice the only time i actually used the CT guns was when I was poking a stationary target outside 350m.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Ever since i played the Dads, i cant resist puttin srm6 on everything.
loving Stalker has 2-4 missile slots for the Nahverteidigungswaffe, and 4 LLas would serve as main guns.
Its so tempting...

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
"Victasha Deiner Kavion Sterensky" is a just-fit!

Victasha Keiner Stavion Derensky?

I need some feedback here mechwarriors, I only get to do this once.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
About CW what does destroying the station while counterattacking as the defenders do?

I thought it'd win the match or something but you still gotta come up ahead on KOs.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Drakes posted:

About CW what does destroying the station while counterattacking as the defenders do?

I thought it'd win the match or something but you still gotta come up ahead on KOs.

If you don't do it and time runs out then you lose.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Unboxing Day posted:

If I am - heaven forbid - soloing CW, what's the best way to find a match and get in a game quickly?

Look for planets that are near (but under) a multiple of 12. That means a full company is close to being formed and entered into the queue.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Ever since i played the Dads, i cant resist puttin srm6 on everything.
loving Stalker has 2-4 missile slots for the Nahverteidigungswaffe, and 4 LLas would serve as main guns.
Its so tempting...

3 LPL and 4 SRM4+A and 3 tons of ammo would probably fit easily.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Washout posted:

3 LPL and 4 SRM4+A and 3 tons of ammo would probably fit easily.

That, with an xl 300 engine is what I use on my warhammer 7s. It's highly effective.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Great Beer posted:

Was anyone actually upset about the current map vote system? Gaming the vote multiplier system is mildly amusing and harmless.

:pgi: are upset and hurt about the fact that the playerbase can now actively avoid their dogshit maps and choose from the ones that are actually half decent.

People consistently avoiding particular pieces of content comes dangerously close to admitting to a mistake for :pgi: even if it's by proxy, and as we all know :pgi: does not make mistakes

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Banano posted:

:pgi: are upset and hurt about the fact that the playerbase can now actively avoid their dogshit maps and choose from the ones that are actually half decent.

People consistently avoiding particular pieces of content comes dangerously close to admitting to a mistake for :pgi: even if it's by proxy, and as we all know :pgi: does not make mistakes

that doesn't make any sense

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yeah. People will still vote to avoid maps they don't like, so that will still be a thing. Far more likely it's people whining on the forums about people saving up their multipliers to troll with.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
The proper way to play is to use cool mechs and always force hot maps.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

Baudin posted:

The proper way to play is to use cool mechs and always force hot maps.

Mechwarrior Online: Cool Mechs & Hot Maps

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Roki B posted:

Mechwarrior Online: Cool Mechs & Hot Maps

sorry, it's not twerkingurbanmech.gif

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

A.o.D. posted:

sorry, it's not twerkingurbanmech.gif

twerkingurbanmech kerensky

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Someone take TwerkenMech Kerensky.

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Pooncha posted:

Someone take TwerkenMech Kerensky.

What about Tetatae Twerkenmech Kerensky

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Astroniomix posted:

twerkingurbanmech kerensky

Urbanmech Twerkensky

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Tetamech Urbansky.

So many glorious names but only one name change. :allears:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

does anyone have any battletech novels handy? I'm looking for heroically terrible bits of prose, a para will do

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

sebmojo posted:

does anyone have any battletech novels handy? I'm looking for heroically terrible bits of prose, a para will do

Hit me up when i get off work. What are you looking for?

Also:
Twerkenmech Kerensky St Lord

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Star Colonel Twerking Into Battle

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Is the Battlemaster 1S still worth picking up now that the IS range quirks are a thing next patch? I have the 2C and 3S already

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

sebmojo posted:

Some poo poo battletech novel posted:

But he surprised her, the 'Mech coming through the same buildings she had. First came an almighty crashing and banging, and suddenly there it was, looming up nine times the size of life in a giant cloud of dust and debris. The Wolverine was raising its autocannon-hand even as it appeared.

Cassie stood a moment, gaping in horrified dismay. Then survival reflexes honed sharp by years on the street took over. She dove away from the burst of cannon fire, rolled as fragments whistled over her, then regained her feet and darted over to the mop handle she'd left lying in the gutter.

The weight of the severed power line that had spot-welded itself to the steel-frame head was surprising when she hefted the handle. Since it wasn't spitting sparks at this moment, she had no way of telling whether it was live or not. Well, only one way to find out ...

The monster had turned to track her, still aiming the autocannon. The pilot must have learned that she was too shifty to nail with the laser, but figured that sooner or later the projectile spray would catch her. Or better yet—

With a vast creaking and groaning, the 'Mech raised its right foot, strode forward to crush the insolent little bug. Cassie hefted the mop-handle like a spear, taking care to keep the unshielded cable clear of her. Then she did the last thing in the world a Mech Warrior would expect from a groundpounder caught in the open by a BattleMech: she charged.

Cassie ran into the shadow of the vast upraised foot. As it descended, she screamed and hurled the mop-handle upward and past it, straight at the great round joint of its knee.

With a cascade of sparks, the live power line flash-welded the metal giant's knee joint. Not much, but just enough to lock the joint.

In fighting a larger opponent—which in Cassie's case was just about anybody—she had been taught by Guru Johann to always go for the joints. A lesson that seemed to apply here.

The 'Mech pilot obviously had no idea what this impertinent insect might be up to until his machine tilted forward to put its weight onto a leg that utterly refused to extend to accept it.

The moment she released the mop handle, Cassie dashed away up the block, sprinting thirty yards before spinning to watch the Wolverine topple with majestic slowness into the apartment building. The structure collapsed right down the middle, chunks of cement block splashing like water from the awesome impact. Cassie just stood there flatfooted, gaping.

After a while the catastrophic rumbling and crunching noises subsided. There was silence in the street, except for the rustle and thud of occasional pockets of loose debris falling and random pings as metal cooled.

Cassie was completely stupefied by what she had accomplished. Never had she actually expected to bring the monster down. Instead of being jubilant at her victory, she felt totally at a loss.

And so begins the story of a giant mary sue who disdains piloting battlemechs in favor of destroying them HAND TO HAND!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Marshall Louis posted:

Hit me up when i get off work. What are you looking for?

Also:
Twerkenmech Kerensky St Lord
[–]ArrachtasOfEireAntares Scorpions 3 points 2 days ago* 

I'm going to disagree with the 'terrible' angle on Battletech fiction. It is absolutely still just my opinion, but I have enough qualifications that I can state that it is - on the whole - a good series with some degree of expertise; I possess advanced degrees in several writing-intensive fields, have guest-lectured at universities, and taught advanced high school literature courses. In my view, when compared to a great deal of 'ordinary' series-based science fiction, Battletech - from the better authors - is absolutely of a fairly high standard.

In the better series and novels, such as the original Gray Death Legion series or Warrior Trilogy, the main characters are well-rounded with failings as well as strengths, the imagery and setting are given careful attention, and the plot arc follows a standard but well-developed form. There's really very little to take issue with. The clear subtext of Battletech as an allegory for the Cold War of the 80's is very evident as well as a poignant choice, and there's plenty of social commentary on gender roles, racism and xenophobia, and the role of the individual in society.

It must also be stated that the various tech readouts and field manuals (such as those detailing the major factions) are also superb reads; these voluminous tomes contain hundreds of pages of background ranging from socio-political history to food preferences of a given entity, or in the case of the tech readouts, rich lore-driven background on the history of all of the battlemechs in the franchise. This combines to establish a level of canonical depth that you won't find in virtually any other sci-fi or fantasy series.

No, this is not Asimov-level science fiction, but it's deep, very engaging (why else would we be playing a derivative three decades later?) and most of it is well-written.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

sebmojo posted:

No, this is not Asimov-level science fiction, but it's deep, very engaging (why else would we be playing a derivative three decades later?) and most of it is well-written.

Stockholm syndrome and because there hasn't been a good Heavy Gear game in 17 years

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I just thought I'd chime in here:

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Washout posted:

And so begins the story of a giant mary sue who disdains piloting battlemechs in favor of destroying them HAND TO HAND!

Those continue to be my least favorite "trilogy" of BT novels. Especially in the last one where she PILOTS a loving mech, then cripples the enemy commanders, ejects, and climbs into his mech to pull him out.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
Alexandsr ~HeLioS~ Kerensky

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TeeMerk posted:

Alexandsr ~HeLioS~ Kerensky

So kawaii desu

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Alejandro DB Kerensky

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Kelly Zmakerensky

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's also not an OmniMech which means it's fully customizable.

Ooh, I didn't realize that. That might make it the go-to Clan assault. Interesting.

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006

Bolow posted:

Is the Battlemaster 1S still worth picking up now that the IS range quirks are a thing next patch? I have the 2C and 3S already

The 1s is insanely strong and the quad lpl build will barely be hurt by it. It's only the quad ERLL build that will be hurt and ERLL's are honestly dog poo poo anyway against an opponent with a pulse.

I made this video like six months ago but this mech is definitely still capable of it, and will be even with some range tweaks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ1eZ3KdP-c

Also XL engine is the way to go with the 1S, you have giant arms to shield with while you twist. Being fast in a mech that can hill hump better than almost anything else and fire for days is great paired with the short burn time of LPLs.

Tim Pawlenty fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Feb 1, 2016

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Tujague posted:

Edit: Okay, the dakka EBJ builds I found are real simple, built around the ebj-a variant. It's just three clan UAC5s,

So I like that build but statistically my highest performing and the one I decided to stick on my (I) variant is 2xUAC10 on the right and 5xERSL on the left. If you get into knife-fight range prioritize the small lasers. It works really well for me personally so I'd recommend trying it out.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I've reconfigured my Hellbringer to pack 1 large laser and four medium lasers, with 14 heat sinks and ECM. Is this an ideal build?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Laserburd the First
2x2 LLas for sniping, medlas+srm for oh poo poo situations.

Faceburd
Up close, personal.

I love these things.

• Locked thread