Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Who the hell gives someone TWO donuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Jay Rust posted:

Clearly a very generous and wonderful soul that we should all throw great amounts of praise onto for being so kind and noble.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Jay Rust posted:

It was her or the trashcan and she was closer, so...

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Jay Rust posted:

it's the large janitor

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

i don't know if anyone has ever given me a doughnut. I know noone has ever given me flowers.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Elfgames posted:

if some doughnuts make you break into tears, that's loving soul crushingly depressing

It was a reminder of her painful celiac disease.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

sweeperbravo posted:

From what I remember people sometimes would try, but fell victim to Geek Social Fallacy number whatever where you're not allowed to criticize fellow geeks because that's what horrible jocks and populars do, geeks have to 100% support one another and you had better not start any drama or make anyone feel like they aren't perfect the way they are. Like someone would be like "that's not evne possible" and other people would jump to defend the OP and if it was on an actual site page it would get edited out.

Also TVTropes had (still has?) a literal rule about no negativity. If you said anything insulting, including calling someone a liar, your post would get "thumped," which is like having a mod edit out the content, only way more condescending.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I keep reading CMOA as Cover My Own rear end.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

What Travis Woo wishes he was.

Magic fans only reference

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

EKDS5k posted:

Also TVTropes had (still has?) a literal rule about no negativity. If you said anything insulting, including calling someone a liar, your post would get "thumped," which is like having a mod edit out the content, only way more condescending.

poo poo, I totally blocked that out of my memory. The best part was someone could come along and post something really creepy, racist, sexist, :biotruths: horrendous thing and not get in trouble- but if anyone had any response that could seem negative or non-supportive, it was the challenger who would be thumped/banned, not the person who actually posted a hateful thing. Because, gosh, guys, that's just his opinion, and opinions can't hurt people, sticks and stones, right? Let's all try to be a little understanding here!

The irony was folded over itself like a taco and people gobbled it up, because it meant as long as you made your deplorable statement first in a discussion, you were safe. Like you would have literal conversations about "Well, aren't whites the superior race?" and a post full of "evidence" and that guy was okay but the poster trying to address and refute each point was just a poo poo-stirrer and trying to hurt people's feelings/trolling.

Oh and accusing a racist/sexist/homophobe/whatever of being a troll ALSO made you a name-calling poo poo-stirrer and you would be thumped/banned for not being a team player.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Gridlocked posted:

What Travis Woo wishes he was.

Magic fans only reference

He's too busy walking up stairs backwards and defending Hitler.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
I feel like Troper Tales is kinda cheating though. It's like putting in all the codes to make your video game dude invincible and have unlimited powerups and then claim you "beat" the game. I mean I guess the OP of this topic could just be nothing but a link to Troper Tales and "this, all of it, every single word, if you have any stories like these post them here".

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Network Pesci posted:

I feel like Troper Tales is kinda cheating though. It's like putting in all the codes to make your video game dude invincible and have unlimited powerups and then claim you "beat" the game. I mean I guess the OP of this topic could just be nothing but a link to Troper Tales and "this, all of it, every single word, if you have any stories like these post them here".

Troper Tales are fine to include now and then as long as they don't dominate the thread. I think because they have a different structure than your typical NAW/NAR type script stories and there's, I dunno, just a specific type of hopeless flavor to them that makes them ID-able as troper tales as soon as you read them.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

sweeperbravo posted:

I think because they have a different structure than your typical NAW/NAR type script stories and there's, I dunno, just a specific type of hopeless flavor to them that makes them ID-able as troper tales as soon as you read them.

I think they're easily identifiable because almost all of them take place in middle/high school. But the amazing thing is that, even for something written by a high/middle-schooler, they're still super pathetic. Like, I was a dumbass when I was 15 and had some embarrassing opinions, but not to that extent.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

kimbo305 posted:

I keep reading it as Choose My Own Adventure, which makes sense...

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

He's too busy walking up stairs backwards and defending Hitler.

And don't forget making "cool homemade ninja shoes, perfect for running" while also not wearing shoes ever so he can touch the gound.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

kimbo305 posted:

I read it as Choose My Own Adventure, which in a way is accurate.

If you are going to quote Dr Who, turn to page 44. If you are going to quote Star Wars (but only the Original Trilogy) go to page 32.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
People who make up stories about little kids kissing them are so creepy

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Faith in non white humanity restored

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Postal Parcel posted:

Faith in non white humanity restored

They forgot to misspell 'the' consistently.

As for CMOA, I leave out the ones where someone's greatest life achievement is doing game things like winning Pokemon. Which is, I assure you, the majority of them.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Who the gently caress would steal a flag that's like the lamest thing to steal

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

goose fleet posted:

but you see the kids were BLACK and the flag wasn't nailed down so

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Postal Parcel posted:

Faith in non white "humanity" restored

Fixed

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Didn't call him "nigga" or "homie"

Fake

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

goose fleet posted:

twist: it was a confederate flag.

The poster was a huge racist (this is not the twist).

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

goose fleet posted:

Antifa in Germany regularly steal and/or destroy German flags because only nazis have one, you see. IIRC it was during the last football world cup that one guy in Berlin would hang a bigass flag from his bakery and Antifa guys would tear it down like three times until some people from the neighbourhood started guarding it. The kicker? The flag owner was an immigrant himself living in a majority immigrant area.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

System Metternich posted:

Antifa in Germany regularly steal and/or destroy German flags because only nazis have one, you see. IIRC it was during the last football world cup that one guy in Berlin would hang a bigass flag from his bakery and Antifa guys would tear it down like three times until some people from the neighbourhood started guarding it. The kicker? The flag owner was an immigrant himself living in a majority immigrant area.

The hell kind of half-assed Nazi do they think are flying the modern German flag? Reichskriegsflagge or nothing, losers!

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Angry Salami posted:

The hell kind of half-assed Nazi do they think are flying the modern German flag? Reichskriegsflagge or nothing, losers!

Pretty sure flags like that get you jail time in Germany

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Birb Katter posted:

Pretty sure flags like that get you jail time in Germany

Which is why racists in Europe fly confederate flags, too.

System Metternich posted:

Antifa in Germany regularly steal and/or destroy German flags because only nazis have one, you see.

Patriotism just isn't super big in places like Germany outside of nationalists, but on the other hand, how many non-racists in even America fly flags in their front lawn? (none)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The Reichskriegsflagge itself is even legal (as long as there's no swastika on it) but yeah you don't exactly put it up just because you like the design.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

WickedHate posted:

Patriotism just isn't super big in places like Germany outside of nationalists, but on the other hand, how many non-racists in even America fly flags in their front lawn? (none)

Obama does. :smug:

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

WickedHate posted:

What the gently caress are you even talking about? There are towns where pretty much everyone puts their flag out, including minorities.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Yeah but the open display of German flags wasn't really much of a thing even just a couple years ago. Iirc it kinda started to take off again during the football world cup in Germany.

E: just found this classic again
http://pastebin.com/cUQG6AtA

Fathis Munk has a new favorite as of 14:10 on Feb 1, 2016

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

WickedHate posted:

Lol, most people in Europe don't even know what the 'confederate flag' is, or what it stands for. Most just remember it as 'flag on the General Lee in The Dukes of Hazard County'.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

racists in Europe don't need flags, you just gotta ask em about the romani

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Khazar-khum posted:

Pain Level

quote:

This troper, who recently got home after curing acute appendicitis, apparently walked around with said appendicitis for four years, as the symptoms began showing four years ago when this troper was thirteen years old. Most who do not treat acute appendicitis is likely to die within in a matter of days or weeks untreated. This troper, Made Of Iron? gently caress no, this troper is GODDAMN IMMORTAL!. As icing on the cake, this troper has never broken a single bone in his body, rarely if ever gets infected by diseases and has a pain threshhold over 9000. This troper thinks a lot of it is related to his status as a Determinator worthy of Bro' Kamina himself. To compensate for it, he's the living embodiment of the Afraid Of Needles trope.

poo poo that did happen: This one made me cringe.

Also, you break bones playing sports or doing poo poo outside with your friends, so I at least believe the part where he's never broken a bone

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

poo poo that did happen: This one made me cringe.

Also, you break bones playing sports or doing poo poo outside with your friends, so I at least believe the part where he's never broken a bone

He's never had anything particularly painful happen to him, so he reasons he's got a very high pain threshold? Personally I assume I'm a giant pussy because no major injuries have happened to me, so I don't actually have a good measure for my pain tolerance.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Maybe you do have a high pain threshold, so every injury you ever had didn't feel like a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

lodewijk posted:

Lol, most people in Europe don't even know what the 'confederate flag' is, or what it stands for. Most just remember it as 'flag on the General Lee in The Dukes of Hazard County'.

Most Americans associate it with 'rebel'. Or used to, anyway.

CMOA

my Animes

quote:

First, after his parents were unable to go to a Parent-Teacher's meeting, he had to go, and endure a "conference" by a "Psychologist" who claimed that Anime and Videogames were EVIIIILLLLL! Except that he commited the typical mistake of only putting the typical bad examples: Grand Theft Auto on the videogames and Urotsukidoji in the case of anime, and mixing up terms like calling an Otaku a Hikkikomori.. At the end, when people start throwing questions at the presenter, including several who praised the "objectiveness" of the conference, said troper raised up from his chair and asked him: "Excuse me, sir, have you played any videogames or watched any anime?". Said "psychologist" just replied with a simple "No, but I don't need to either play or watch them to know they corrupt our youth". And the troper came back by telling him: "Go play Harvest Moon and tell me about it". Needless to say, the director stepped in and told the psychologist to get out of his school, because he lied and he didn't wanted the school to get corrupted by the influence of liars. Later on, he found out the director of the school actually used to play that same game.
Also, while on college, during one of his classes, a really big beetle (almost 10 cm long) suddenly flew into the classroom. Most people on the group (even the few guys and the teacher) got terrified because of the beetle, but this troper just grabbed a thick notebook, chucked it at the beetle and killed it while on flight. He was hailed a hero after it, even though this troper still regards that moment as a "Someone had to do it" time.
This trooper was downtown one night, when a gang of eight people come over and start pushing him around. I step forward, pull out a two and a half inch folding knife and gives a little speech "I know what you're thinking, and you're right. I'm outnumbered eight to one. Even with a knife, you can still get me. But I can get on of you as well. So what you have to ask yourself is, do you want to die so that one of your friends can have what's in my wallet?"

• Locked thread