Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Just got a call from Windstream that the VoIP router at my old job was down/having issues. Good on their NOC team though I guess after that DDoS attempt I alerted them to that one time they're a little more vigilant to the site.

I of course gave him the number of my replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

A phone call from my FIL came in.

quote:

Hey, so I was doing something on the internet and this thing popped up saying I had problems and had to call microsoft...

There's more, but my brain bleeds and I cry whenever I think about the rest of the conversation.

The popup:

Which came up over this beauty:

They downloaded and installed the remote software as requested, but fortunately got weirded out and called me before poo poo got too far out of hand. Doesn't look like they managed to gently caress anything up, but I'm going through the system with a fine-toothed comb today.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Are people so flabbergasted by computer words that they don't even notice the poor English? That's always a dead giveaway.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dross posted:

Are people so flabbergasted by computer words that they don't even notice the poor English? That's always a dead giveaway.

A whole ton of old people actually have lovely reading/writing skills, largely because they went to schools that were terrible back when they were young. They often don't even notice that stuff, so they're prime marks.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Dross posted:

He's usually really good about stuff like this, calling me immediately whenever something unusual appears on his screen. But sometimes the message hits the fear center just right and causes him to react poorly.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

IME, users tend to have a feeble grasp at English themselves.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
The English errors are intentional to try and filter out the most alert and skeptical people.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The English errors are intentional to try and filter out the most alert and skeptical people.

Yup. Microsoft published a research paper about it. Essentially, it costs scammers very little to send out their scam attempts to lots of people, but once a mark actually responds to the scam, the scammer has to spend time interacting with each mark that responds. If the mark ultimately gets suspicious and backs out, that time wasted is expensive for the scammer. As a result, they use really bad english and terrible looking scams to ensure that the people who do respond are the most gullible and most likely to hand over money.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

J posted:

Yup. Microsoft published a research paper about it. Essentially, it costs scammers very little to send out their scam attempts to lots of people, but once a mark actually responds to the scam, the scammer has to spend time interacting with each mark that responds. If the mark ultimately gets suspicious and backs out, that time wasted is expensive for the scammer. As a result, they use really bad english and terrible looking scams to ensure that the people who do respond are the most gullible and most likely to hand over money.

I never thought about that. That's really ingenious actually.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

AlexDeGruven posted:

There's more, but my brain bleeds and I cry whenever I think about the rest of the conversation.

The popup:

They downloaded and installed the remote software as requested, but fortunately got weirded out and called me before poo poo got too far out of hand. Doesn't look like they managed to gently caress anything up, but I'm going through the system with a fine-toothed comb today.

At my shop we get the "error message telling me to call Microsoft" victims a lot, with varying degrees of success on the point of the scammer. Sometimes they immediately know something's up and bring it in, other times they make the call but get suspicious before anything happens, and sometimes they actually get scammed out of money. (I've actually seen that fake BSOD show up on a Mac!) After working on their machines we give them a short lecture about being skeptical on the Internet and such, and steps they can take if they actually got scammed. This past week I had a customer who swore up and down that she was computer savvy but was nearly tricked by these clever scammers! I found about 5 different varieties of "Driver Restore" type malware on her machine.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Segmentation Fault posted:

At my shop we get the "error message telling me to call Microsoft" victims a lot, with varying degrees of success on the point of the scammer. Sometimes they immediately know something's up and bring it in, other times they make the call but get suspicious before anything happens, and sometimes they actually get scammed out of money. (I've actually seen that fake BSOD show up on a Mac!) After working on their machines we give them a short lecture about being skeptical on the Internet and such, and steps they can take if they actually got scammed. This past week I had a customer who swore up and down that she was computer savvy but was nearly tricked by these clever scammers! I found about 5 different varieties of "Driver Restore" type malware on her machine.

"Click here to improve my PC performance? Well don't mind if I do!" :buddy:

:sigh:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I'm very computer savvy, I know how to install like 6 different coupon printers to save me tens of dollars a year!

Well now that you mention it yeah my computer is pretty slow and I get a lot of popups, wonder where those come from?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

AlexDeGruven posted:

The popup:

I think that exact one is from a typo of google.com I've seen it a few times at work. Usually the popup keeps come back until you force close it from task manager, which is when I get the call because they can't figure out how to close the scam window.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

AlexDeGruven posted:

The popup:

I had a user at work get this popup. He was terribly worried about the virus that bluescreened his Windows.

He was on OSX.

He was a college professor.

He called the number. They couldn't remote in so he called us.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

pixaal posted:

I think that exact one is from a typo of google.com I've seen it a few times at work. Usually the popup keeps come back until you force close it from task manager, which is when I get the call because they can't figure out how to close the scam window.

Looks like this case was a bad ad, since the immediate site before it in the browser history was a legit search. Guessing someone did a good job on their SEO and managed to pop up high in the results.

Funnily enough, my MIL got suspicious when the guy on the other end of the line was complimenting her on her computer skills. She knows she has none.

Gilok posted:

I had a user at work get this popup. He was terribly worried about the virus that bluescreened his Windows.

He was on OSX.

He was a college professor.

He called the number. They couldn't remote in so he called us.

That's how I grabbed the screenshots. Just loaded the URL on my Mac to see what it was all about.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
We migrated 105 users to O365 from prem exchange this weekend.

That went super loving good.

so

so

so

good.

:cripes:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

DigitalMocking posted:

We migrated 105 users to O365 from prem exchange this weekend.

That went super loving good.

so

so

so

good.

:cripes:

I'm so sorry. :(

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Mo_Steel posted:

I'm so sorry. :(

So here's the story.

Monday the BA in charge of CRM announces we're moving to CRM Online Feb 1.

Hadn't told IT or anything, just sent that out to the whole company. So far we had migrated about 25 users to O365 as a test, which was going just fine.

So now we have to migrate everyone to O365 this weekend, we migrate, all on prem mailboxes are empty, but surprise surprise, so are the O365 mailboxes. Whoops.

We've got plenty of backups (near-line, tape, mail journaling service etc) so no data has been lost, but the poor server guys have killed themselves this weekend to get this working.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Don't worry, it gets better.

Like, week and a half ticket with Microsoft support to create a mailbox better.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

J posted:

That's fantastic, I never thought of that.

It reminds me of the Whatsapp malicious popup on mobile that actually makes your phone vibrate. Seeing your device do something you didn't know it could do is pretty scary. example

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Merijn posted:

That's fantastic, I never thought of that.

It reminds me of the Whatsapp malicious popup on mobile that actually makes your phone vibrate. Seeing your device do something you didn't know it could do is pretty scary. example

Those are really annoying. :argh:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

J posted:

We have a woman where none of her fingers work on the finger print reader, for reasons I can't figure out. They aren't mangled or callused or anything, the scans just come up incredibly lovely each and every time. If they were at least lovely in a consistent manner, it might actually still work, but the loving scan looks different every time.

Does she happen to work with clay in her spare time? I've had a few cases where hobby pottery workers had prints too vague to scan from using a pottery wheel.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

J posted:

We have a woman where none of her fingers work on the finger print reader, for reasons I can't figure out. They aren't mangled or callused or anything, the scans just come up incredibly lovely each and every time. If they were at least lovely in a consistent manner, it might actually still work, but the loving scan looks different every time.

A common cancer drug can have a side effect of removing fingerprints. Not something I've seen personally, but was reported on the BBC.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Baconroll posted:

A common cancer drug can have a side effect of removing fingerprints. Not something I've seen personally, but was reported on the BBC.

That would just be the icing on the loving cake wouldn't it?
I've been using the fingerprint scanner on my Lenovo for so long I can't even remember the password. I could probably figure it out... but I'd probably just go take a flying leap first.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

(and yes, I know EDNS0 is a thing, but this has nothing to do with that)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Baconroll posted:

How does that happen?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I am no expert, but if it caused swelling of the fingers, wouldn't that distort fingerprints?

edit: I looked up the story, and I guess it just causes excessive skin peeling.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/05/28/cancer.fingerprints/index.html

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
On the "fingerprints are bad" wagon, I used to work with a guy who had some sort of skin disease (like eczema or psoriasis, but I don't recall what he had) that just straight up could not be scanned for the fingerprint readers. We'd get good enough scans, but by the next day, his fingers would have peeled enough that he couldn't get back into the facility. Since 75% of the doors required fingerprint scanning, he was less than thrilled.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
We experimented with fingerprint based time clocks. We ended up abandoning the idea for exactly this reason. We had 2 who where unable to even to register their fingerprints. And a few others where it would register, but then it would not accept their prints after registration.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Wasn't there a story a while back about a company that used fingerprints for authentication, required a new password every month and saved the last 12 passwords?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Wasn't there a story a while back about a company that used fingerprints for authentication, required a new password every month and saved the last 12 passwords?

Yes, yes there was. But I'm too lazy to look it up.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

This only becomes a problem at last 20 passwords.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

18 Character Limit posted:

This only becomes a problem at last 20 passwords.

Your going to get feed all over that scanner if you do that.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Suddenly, everyone is breaking dress code and wearing sandals to work.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Yes.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Man, why the gently caress hasn't Dropbox released a press statement about this poo poo yet?

After our fiasco last week, I've heard about (and received phishing emails from) three other instances of this happening at other companies. One of them didn't realize it until too late and actually lost all of her contacts and email.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

MiniFoo posted:

Man, why the gently caress hasn't Dropbox released a press statement about this poo poo yet?

After our fiasco last week, I've heard about (and received phishing emails from) three other instances of this happening at other companies. One of them didn't realize it until too late and actually lost all of her contacts and email.

I would expect them to misspell something in there, like "Now , you can sign in to dorpbox with your email"

Instead all you have is an oddly placed comma.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

MiniFoo posted:

If it was a Gmail/Gapps account they lost contacts on, they can restore them.

Go to contacts inside the Gmail interface, click More, and then Restore.

If its Gapps, you can also restore the deleted mail from the Admin console. https://support.google.com/a/answer/6052340

stevewm fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 1, 2016

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
:siren:CE DRAMA'S A-BREWIN:siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
:justpost: :justpost:

• Locked thread