Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Muscle Tracer posted:

I love it when these threads get to the sadistic vengeance against prisoners place, gets my red American blood pumping in all the right places :911:

To be fair I don't really think that we should be taking rights away from people just because they are ex-cons, even dumb ones like the second amendment. Either you are rehabilitated and have paid your debt to society or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Axetrain posted:

To be fair I don't really think that we should be taking rights away from people just because they are ex-cons, even dumb ones like the second amendment. Either you are rehabilitated and have paid your debt to society or not.

As much as I love guns, I'm okay with people who committed crimes with a firearm losing their right to own them until they can convince the government otherwise. The militia has firmly proven that they're only going to use their Second Amendment right to try and gently caress with people and hold an armed insurrection.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Voyager I posted:

gently caress these guys, but I'm not sure this is an aspect of our justice system we should be happy about.

Normally I would agree, and I am much in favor of reducing prison terms in geberal. I certainly hope that leniency is shown to the rank and file that participated in this, and I hope they don't get more than a year or two.

Ammon however can best serve his country by being a living reminder of why you do not commit sedition. I hope that he and some of the other architects of this get the book thrown at them. If you feel pity for him just go watch that video of him and his gang strutting into that town hall. He was every bit the bully in charge of heavily armed thugs. He was using children as human shields and setting up Kangaroo courts to execute local elected officials for the crime of not supporting his sedition.

Seriously gently caress Ammon.

Also, as many problems as there are with the American prison system, the really bad prisons are all state or local. Federal Prisons are run at much higher standards and these men will not be raped or the like. (Federal Prison is where all the lawyers or people who can afford good lawyers wind up, many hundreds of lawsuits over the decades have forced Federal Prisons to not become human rights violations.) The worst thing they will face in Federal prison is endless amounts of empty time to think.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

FAUXTON posted:

It's "Finnacum"

Like "Finna cum over these shitters getting wrecked"

To reiterate, this is the best thing anyone has ever said about the oregon situation.

It is an absolutely perfect and flawless post.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgMQDxpuO_E

If OBAMA can let five ISIS go to get one treasonous soldier back, why can't he make a deal to let us all go?

I would comment on how ironic it for him to compare himself to ISIS, but he has already said he likes them.

He at least seems to have a better understanding than Michelle Bachman precisely what role he plays in these analogies.

the floor is baklava
May 4, 2003

SHAME

katlington posted:

Re Lavoys reaching: it looked like he was going for a gun, stopped when told to, then remembered he wanted to go out shooting amd reached again.

I haven't a doubt in my mind he kept raising his arms to make it look like he was surrendering while at the same time reaching for his gun just to get the LEOs to shoot him. The SovCits' spin on videos of his death seem to bear out the logic he was using, at least to the point that he got his glorious exit and the SovCits got their martyr.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Prester Jane posted:

Ammon however can best serve his country by being a living reminder of why you do not commit sedition. I hope that he and some of the other architects of this get the book thrown at them. If you feel pity for him just go watch that video of him and his gang strutting into that town hall. He was every bit the bully in charge of heavily armed thugs. He was using children as human shields and setting up Kangaroo courts to execute local elected officials for the crime of not supporting his sedition.

Seriously gently caress Ammon.

Woah, didn't know they ever made it as far as threatening proactive violence against civilians. Do you have a link to this stuff?

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
I don't think he wanted to martyr himself. These guys are crazy, but I don't think they actually have a deathwish. I think he bought into his novel's self-insert and really thought he could out-draw an already drawn weapon.

Voyager I posted:

Woah, didn't know they ever made it as far as threatening proactive violence against civilians. Do you have a link to this stuff?

The affidavit for the arrest warrant includes recorded statements from the Bundys that they intended to take the fight to the town if the FBI/Sheriff didn't bring the fight to the refuge.

CommanderApaul fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 1, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

fap fap SPLOOGE posted:

I haven't a doubt in my mind he kept raising his arms to make it look like he was surrendering while at the same time reaching for his gun just to get the LEOs to shoot him. The SovCits' spin on videos of his death seem to bear out the logic he was using, at least to the point that he got his glorious exit and the SovCits got their martyr.

I don't think it was a planned deception on Finicum's part as much as it may have been fear and uncertainty. He talked a big talk and was really willing to go ahead with it until he actually had guns pointed at him and had to make a life or death decision. In the end he made the decision he wanted, but I think his conviction was wavering.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
I really want to believe that the FBI didn't bother planting anybody because they didn't need to. Everything these idiots do has been broadcast voluntarily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lAYQLD-ZuY

I listen to this occasionally and every time I do I feel like my brain is going to crawl out my ear and die shriveled up like a salted slug. Someone was just on here talking about how in the eastern US there's not as much land and they want to make the west like that and soon you won't be "able to hunt . . . camp . . . fish . . . gold mine . . ."

I live in upstate NY and there's loads of room for hunting, camping, and fishing, but it exists because the state (there are almost no national parks in this state) has set aside that land so that it can't be developed. So apparently not only do these people think that New York State consists entirely of New York City, but they also think that everything east of the Mississippi is as built up as New Jersey and that mining is no less destructive than pitching a tent for a couple of nights. I mean, I know people who hunt and fish. I've GONE CAMPING.

gently caress this noise. Every time I listen to this I feel like my brain is going to crawl out my ear and die shriveled up like a salted slug.

eta:

Prester Jane posted:

If you feel pity for him just go watch that video of him and his gang strutting into that town hall. He was every bit the bully in charge of heavily armed thugs.
I feel zero pity, but can someone link the video? I can't find it.

trickybiscuits fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 1, 2016

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

SedanChair posted:

I must admit I had not ruminated on what it would be like to have sex with David Fry.

Gotta consider the situation from all angles. Horizontal being one of them.

I'm wondering how long the militia dudes will last now. They're low on food, low on morale, are probably increasingly unhygenic and have no wifi. I suspect that in the next couple days they'll abandon the refuge lands like so many coffee shops with cheap routers.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

trickybiscuits posted:

"able to hunt . . . camp . . . fish . . . gold mine . . ."

One of these is not like the others.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Axetrain posted:

One of these is not like the others.

I don't know; this thread has given me enough entertainment that I'd give it a 5.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

CommanderApaul posted:

I don't think he wanted to martyr himself. These guys are crazy, but I don't think they actually have a deathwish. I think he bought into his novel's self-insert and really thought he could out-draw an already drawn weapon.

The affidavit for the arrest warrant includes recorded statements from the Bundys that they intended to take the fight to the town if the FBI/Sheriff didn't bring the fight to the refuge.

That's not a recorded statement from Bundy. The relevant excerpt from the affidavit;

Affidavit posted:

BLM was notified

later that day by a Hamey County Sheriffs Officer that a source informed him that the group

controlled the MNWR and had explosives, night vision goggles, and weapons and that if they

didn't get the fight they wanted out there they would bring the fight to town.

The authorities received a warning of some sort, but there's no verifiable source and it doesn't attribute this intention to anyone in particular. I don't see how you could possibly base a charge off of it.

These guys are still huge assholes who deserve what they're going to get, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

The Affidavit does mention two men from the movement menacing a BLM (Bureau of Land Management, not the other one) member in town before the occupation began, but nothing connects Bundy or the rest of the group to that directly.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 1, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

trickybiscuits posted:

I really want to believe that the FBI didn't bother planting anybody because they didn't need to. Everything these idiots do has been broadcast voluntarily.

I listen to this occasionally and every time I do I feel like my brain is going to crawl out my ear and die shriveled up like a salted slug. Someone was just on here talking about how in the eastern US there's not as much land and they want to make the west like that and soon you won't be "able to hunt . . . camp . . . fish . . . gold mine . . ."

I live in upstate NY and there's loads of room for hunting, camping, and fishing, but it exists because the state (there are almost no national parks in this state) has set aside that land so that it can't be developed. So apparently not only do these people think that New York State consists entirely of New York City, but they also think that everything east of the Mississippi is as built up as New Jersey and that mining is no less destructive than pitching a tent for a couple of nights. I mean, I know people who hunt and fish. I've GONE CAMPING.

gently caress this noise. Every time I listen to this I feel like my brain is going to crawl out my ear and die shriveled up like a salted slug.

eta:

I feel zero pity, but can someone link the video? I can't find it.

There's probably more militia members in NY than there are in Oregon right now, if we could do an honest poll

rural NY is scary as gently caress and rivals any hick place elsewhere in the States

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

VikingSkull posted:

There's probably more militia members in NY than there are in Oregon right now, if we could do an honest poll
And they will FURIOUSLY post about this injustice!

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

VikingSkull posted:

rural NY is scary as gently caress and rivals any hick place elsewhere in the States

You haven't been to rural ND or MN yet

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

theultimo posted:

You haven't been to rural ND or MN yet

Please let this devolve into a "who ha the most crazy hicks" dick-measuring contest.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
As soon as you hit the suburbs anywhere you encounter dumb hicks with dumb grievances.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I forgot that there was an entire thread dedicated to this because I've mostly been discussing it in the PacNW thread.

But I do want to share: Trial Bingo!

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

VikingSkull posted:

Thank you! Except we don't have meth, just heroin.

Where is that video of Bundy walking into the town hall meeting please? If someone doesn't link it, I'll have no choice but to request it again.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

trickybiscuits posted:

It is possible they meant gold panning in the river, but probably not. Panning was one of the things we did in the Idaho Rockies visiting family in the 80s like it was a normal thing to go do on a Saturday.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Please let this devolve into a "who ha the most crazy hicks" dick-measuring contest.

This

Kazak_Hstan posted:

As soon as you hit the suburbs anywhere you encounter dumb hicks with dumb grievances.

and this, the people that live past the exurban line is who Glen Beck was trying to rally when he said "We surround them"

FetusSlapper posted:

It is possible they meant gold panning in the river, but probably not. Panning was one of the things we did in the Idaho Rockies visiting family in the 80s like it was a normal thing to go do on a Saturday.

Nope, they mean "extract everything you can from the land".

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Axetrain posted:

I'm not big on the Second Amendment to begin with, it's an outdated remnant that has helped lead to many, many unnecessary deaths thanks to an obsession with using deadly weapons as safety blankets. Given who these people are and the fact that they've spent a month openly threatening everyone they dislike with their weapons, it's only rational to prevent them from being legally able to own firearms again.

Believe me, there are many things to reform in our justice system, but letting these idiots have weapons that they have proven at best wildly irresponsible and openly criminal with is note one of them.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Question is if the NRA would ever let that happen. Its a logical law to think about, but I really doubt all the systems that have been built to "protect" the second amendment would ever allow this precedence to be made because "If you can take away the criminal's right to guns, then *insert drivel that somehow takes away speaker's guns*".

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Crabtree posted:

Question is if the NRA would ever let that happen. Its a logical law to think about, but I really doubt all the systems that have been built to "protect" the second amendment would ever allow this precedence to be made because "If you can take away the criminal's right to guns, then *insert drivel that somehow takes away speaker's guns*".

The NRA are masters of manipulating the narrative dependence of their target audience to keep up their profits. Unless they as an organization suddenly grow a collective conscience, I agree that getting logical gun control remains unlikely.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
If only there were more guns involved this standoff never would have happened.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If you want the NRA on board with gun control we just need another Huey P Newton

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Crabtree posted:

GOOD NEWS!

These idiots will never surrender their guns, they would literally rather die. No federal agency will make them surrender their guns, because WACO RUBY RIDGE, etc.

If they did surrender their guns and their rights to own them due to some miracle, they'd just get someone else to be a straw purchaser to buy more guns!

As oppressed and downtrodden as these sons of the soil claim to be, they have a whole lot of money to spend on guns. Lots and lots of guns.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ShadowCatboy posted:

Yeah I've been wondering recently if the "we have a warrant out for Sean Andersen's arrest, the rest of you guys can leave" is mean to be some reverse-psychology FBI mindfuck to get them to park their asses and squat there even longer.

Yeah, it's a brilliant win-win situation for the FBI.

Either the remaining three militants leave the wanted bloke behind and you get the dual visuals of the militants leaving their own guy to be eaten alive and said guy all alone and still broadcasting and doing interviews and begging for someone to come and help him and all the militias desperately coming up with more and more excuses as to why they're not doing anything.

OR

They all stay and, as a group, beg for help which never comes and make even more noise discrediting the militias even further.

OR

Comedy option, they all leave and Tubs McGuts meekly hands himself over to be arrested and militias are all branded as the pussies we now know they are.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

trickybiscuits posted:

Thank you! Except we don't have meth, just heroin.

Where is that video of Bundy walking into the town hall meeting please? If someone doesn't link it, I'll have no choice but to request it again.

Took me quite a while to dig up, but here it is. (Phoneposting so i cant embed) https://youtu.be/jBs_2qw1PJ8

Pete Santilli streamed this meeting that took place on January 19th. The whole thing is worth watching if you want to feel your sympathy for the militants melt away. Over 50 militants crashed a town hall meeting and you can instantly see the tension their presence causes. Nervously they are invited to sit down and Ammon makes a point of refusing to sit like a petulant child. It just rolls along from there with tons of bully behaviour like Santilli mocking speakers by making blow job motions. People try every way possible (from polite requests to chants of "go go go go") to get the message across that the militants are not welcome, but they are unphased.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Gorilla Salad posted:

Yeah, it's a brilliant win-win situation for the FBI.

Either the remaining three militants leave the wanted bloke behind and you get the dual visuals of the militants leaving their own guy to be eaten alive and said guy all alone and still broadcasting and doing interviews and begging for someone to come and help him and all the militias desperately coming up with more and more excuses as to why they're not doing anything.

OR

They all stay and, as a group, beg for help which never comes and make even more noise discrediting the militias even further.

OR

Comedy option, they all leave and Tubs McGuts meekly hands himself over to be arrested and militias are all branded as the pussies we now know they are.

OR

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
And how likely is that?

Much more likely:

(except fatter)

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Oh it's really, really likely, especially the part where they look cool doing it.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am still waiting on that rumoured convoy that's going to A-Team them reinforcements or extract them.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
They'll probably try to eat their bullets, and not in a willing suicide way. Like if they aren't already trying to eat squirrel, or thinking about grilling whoever the fattest "camper" in the group is, they're probably going to try to cut bullets up to eat their powder if not the leather in their boots or the rancid poo poo they brought with them from the building. Is there any sort of dangerous wildlife that exists there besides half starved armed white moron? Mauled by Bear or didn't see the rattler they stepped near could also happen.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Crabtree posted:

They'll probably try to eat their bullets, and not in a willing suicide way. Like if they aren't already trying to eat squirrel, or thinking about grilling whoever the fattest "camper" in the group is, they're probably going to try to cut bullets up to eat their powder if not the leather in their boots or the rancid poo poo they brought with them from the building. Is there any sort of dangerous wildlife that exists there besides half starved armed white moron? Mauled by Bear or didn't see the rattler they stepped near could also happen.

I think grizzlies range that far West, but not in huge numbers and I doubt they'd approach something that developed. You never loving know with bears tho

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Voyager I posted:

Oregon Public Broadcasting: Armed Occuppers convene Common Law Grand Jury against local officials.

quote:

Armed occupiers in Harney County are moving forward with efforts to change the legal system.

Occupiers say they’ve voted to ask Joaquin Mariano DeMoreta-Folch, a long-time Tea Party activist, to convene a common law grand jury.He tracks its origins back to the Magna Carta, British common law and the U.S. Constitution and he warns, the jury meets in absolute secrecy. “The media, you cannot ask the question to them. That’s a felony,” he told reporters.

“So make sure (you know) what you are doing because if you ask me: How many? What they say? Why they vote? You’re committing the crime of felony and I will hold you accountable,” said DeMoreta-Folch.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Epic High Five posted:

I think grizzlies range that far West, but not in huge numbers and I doubt they'd approach something that developed. You never loving know with bears tho

According to the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife, Black Bear does live in the state. Probably no where near the bird sanctuary, however, they do say that bears become more likely to go near humans if they start eating human food/garbage and I really loving doubt these geniuses were good about securing their waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Crabtree posted:

According to the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife, Black Bear does live in the state. Probably no where near the bird sanctuary, however, they do say that bears become more likely to go near humans if they start eating human food/garbage and I really loving doubt these geniuses were good about securing their waste.

If one of these idiots gets mauled by a bear, I eagerly await the whining about it all being the FBI's fault and/or the bear being part of the fed conspiracy.

• Locked thread