Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Ramos posted:

By the way, we got the top 16 of Modern from SCG.

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/deckshow.php?&t[C1]=28&start_date=01/31/2016&end_date=01/31/2016&start=1&finish=16&event_ID=36&city=columbus&state=OH&country=US

Just copy and paste it, the brackets ruin everything. Notably, there's a G/R Scapeshift up there.

5 burn decks plus an additional 3 aggro decks in the top 16. The most interesting deck is friggin' Jund.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
if you're going to go through the effort of sorting your cards by set/color/etc then just make or acquire a spreadsheet of cards in the given set and plug the number you have of each one into it (there's a reason this is the format for the handout to register decks at comp sealed events)

that'll be faster than typing your cards and probably faster than scanning them, and should be able to be copy/pasted to deckbox simply enough

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

5 burn decks plus an additional 3 aggro decks in the top 16. The most interesting deck is friggin' Jund.

So half of the decks are aggro. No big deal. They prey upon people who aren't prepared for that meta and everyone was trying to get ready for R/G Tron. Besides, the other half also has all sorts of things going on, like infect somehow managed to get first despite the prevalence of burn decks, which is its natural weakness.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

This Valakut Invoker may be the true MVP. I'm not sure Dezani has enough creatures with greater than 3 toughness to actually do anything about it even if Jansen never draws gas again.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Can I get some advice on my deck? I posted in the Brewhaus, but I wanted to get the General Opinion thread as well. This is for Magic Online, I want to start playing in a few of the tournaments and try to earn TiX or whatever.

I've been playing this infect deck http://deck.tk/25oy4SLC But I'm having trouble, as I don't always get Apostle's Blessing or Predator's strike in time. I want to swap in Live Wire Lashing, Unnatural Preadtion, and possibly Rancor, but I'm not sure which to switch OUT to make room for it!

What are your guys opinions? (budget is like 10 - 12 buckets more right now, I also have 5 tix.)

Pendelhaven is fantastic as a 1- or 2-of.

Might of Old Krosa is great. It and Rancor are probably better than Giant Growth and Mutagenic Growth.

Gitaxian Probe is excellent because it lets you know what your opponent is holding for removal and play around it.

16 creatures is probably a tad high.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Alaan posted:

This Valakut Invoker may be the true MVP. I'm not sure Dezani has enough creatures with greater than 3 toughness to actually do anything about it even if Jansen never draws gas again.

Dezani punted that game pretty hard. On the turn where he tried to Press Into Service on Jori En, if he had cast Relief Captain first he could have put a counter on Jori En to bring it out of Invoker range and also make it a 3/4, THEN stolen it and killed Jansen. If Jansen somehow decided to kill Jori En in response to the support trigger, Dezani could Press into Service either Relief Captain or Valakut Invoker to win. This assumes Jansen didn't have a counter/tap or some other kind of spell in his hand but its better to play around what's on board than what might be in the opponent's hand.

For those who didn't see the match, this was the board state:

Jansen has:
1 unknown card in hand (I'm still not sure what it was), at 3 life
-3 tapped lands
-8 untapped lands
-tapped Valakut Invoker
untapped Jorin En

Dezani has:
like 15 life or so
-no creatures
-9 lands
-Relief Captain and Press into Service in hand

It's too bad, his deck was kind of sweet, double Allied Reinforcements + Relief Captain is nuts.

Lets Pickle fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Feb 1, 2016

Alaan
May 24, 2005

God drat. That was a crazy G3. Jansen getting poo poo wrecked, at one point 7 creatures to 1. Then stabilizes with no cards in hand and a Valakut invoker on board with 3 life. Proceeds to single handedly do lethal damage and kill 5 creatures(counting his own Jori En) along the way.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Ramos posted:

So half of the decks are aggro. No big deal. They prey upon people who aren't prepared for that meta and everyone was trying to get ready for R/G Tron. Besides, the other half also has all sorts of things going on, like infect somehow managed to get first despite the prevalence of burn decks, which is its natural weakness.

When has aggro not been the best strategy in modern

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

rabidsquid posted:

If it was The Suburbs Mage it would be pretty good but Reflektor Mage is overwrought and overproduced droning garbage that takes itself way too seriously

lol

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
So when people who are facing down lethal just immediately go AFK, that's because they're either dicks who don't care you have to stay up another 10 minutes to make sure they don't come back and then time you out, or they're dicks who actually are planning to see if you leave so they can try to time you out, right?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

rabidsquid posted:

If it was The Suburbs Mage it would be pretty good but Reflektor Mage is overwrought and overproduced droning garbage that takes itself way too seriously

They are both good in their own ways :colbert:

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

So when people who are facing down lethal just immediately go AFK, that's because they're either dicks who don't care you have to stay up another 10 minutes to make sure they don't come back and then time you out, or they're dicks who actually are planning to see if you leave so they can try to time you out, right?

why can't it be both

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Had a 5player EDH game last night, where I was playing my Sidisi, Brood Tyrant deck.
At one point, a good bit into the game, I was tapped out from re-deploying with Worm Harvest after a wrath.

A player decided she was going to Bojuka Bog me, when literally half my deck was in my grave, and I had no way to get any of my shuffle effects to go off.
I start talking to the player to my left, as I'm aware he has a few things he could do to stop my plans.
We decide to let me go ahead, because it'll be funny.
I drop down Opposition, then use my Worm Harvest tokens to tap down all the Bojuka Bog players permanents, in her upkeep. Every turn. Nobody bothered attacking her (except me to trigger Sidisi)

I shouldn't have won, the player to my left should have stopped me, but he was low enough on life that I could sink mana into Dark Depths and kill him with Marit Lage before he could untap and steal it with Dragonlord Silumgar (his commander)

Opposition is nuts, also: don't stop a player from playing the game, otherwise they'll lock you out the game too :P

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

kizudarake posted:

why can't it be both

Can you imagine this happening in real life? You swing for lethal and your opponent suddenly announces that they urgently needs the loo and runs off.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

gonadic io posted:

Can you imagine this happening in real life? You swing for lethal and your opponent suddenly announces that they urgently needs the loo and runs off.

wow, don't spoil my PT top 8 strat

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

gonadic io posted:

I support this

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So the top 16 of the modern classic is up.

U/G Infect
G/R Scapeshift
Burn
G/R Tron
Jund
G/R Tron
Naya Zoo
Affinity
Kiki-Chord
Burn
Dimir Mill
Burn
G/R Tron
Jeskai Control
Burn
Merfolk

http://sales.starcitygames.com//dec...e=OH&country=US

So less affinity and more burn at the top than I would have guessed. Hell, one deck is labeled naya zoo and its nothing more than another burn deck. A mill deck made the top 16 lol. Combo not doing well in this one outside the one scapeshift.

This weekend should be interesting.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
what are you talking about, over half of those decks are combo lmbo

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

where did you get that mill deck from, there's no mill deck in that top 16

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Four Score posted:

what are you talking about, over half of those decks are combo lmbo

Are we still trying to call burn combo. :rolleyes:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Wurzag posted:

where did you get that mill deck from, there's no mill deck in that top 16

He quoted from Reddit and that was a troll by the poster.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ShaneB posted:

Yep, he got me.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ShaneB posted:

Boooo, don't play with my heart like that.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

I used Decked, it lets me scan things in with my Laptop's webcam or Iphone, so 1500+ cards got put in only a couple of days, rather then typing each one in by hand. (Would have been way faster, but I was also alphabetizing them, and sorting them by Color / Type, which took for loving evvvverrrrr.)

Do they have anything that isn't apple related? I'd love this, but I don't have any apple products. Everything I can find is apple based, but I'm hoping your laptop isn't a mac and therefore I have hope.

E: Like two links later and I found the android version. Crisis averted, everything is better now. Their website is terrible and just blasts everything apple on the first page with a tiny android link off to the side. Jesus.

E2: It exports to CSV. Holy poo poo.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 1, 2016

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

I really don't get the pro's sometimes. In Paschal Maynard's article he goes about calling merfolk unplayable, and yet, that deck has a whole bunch of consistent top 8 performances ever since the printing of Harbinger of the Tides. I would not say it is the best deck in modern, my vote for that goes to affinity, but I am always shocked by this consistent opinion from them that the data just doesn't seem to bare out.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Madmarker posted:

I really don't get the pro's sometimes. In Paschal Maynard's article he goes about calling merfolk unplayable, and yet, that deck has a whole bunch of consistent top 8 performances ever since the printing of Harbinger of the Tides. I would not say it is the best deck in modern, my vote for that goes to affinity, but I am always shocked by this consistent opinion from them that the data just doesn't seem to bare out.

It's almost like a party of people with interests to maintain their position would want to throw off would-be usurpers to the magical throne.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Madmarker posted:

Merfolk is unplayable if you're not extremely lucky. You have no game against the top 3 or 4 (I'm assuming you also lose to burn) decks in the format, you're bad against removal.dec, and you have very little interaction with combo.

Then sometimes you draw 3 Spreading Seas 2 games in a row and that all changes.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Luck simply doesn't get you to top 8 at Grand Prix and SCG open/classic events, sorry.

Merfolk is a deck that looks mediocre on paper but performs way better in actual games.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

The Shortest Path posted:

Luck simply doesn't get you to top 8 at Grand Prix and SCG open/classic events, sorry.

I disagree, we saw that horrendous U/R Sphinx's Tutelage win a GP and that thing needed all the luck in the world to win a match.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Merfolk is a deck that looks mediocre on paper but performs way better in actual games.

There is no luck in my card games.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

suicidesteve posted:

Merfolk is unplayable if you're not extremely lucky. You have no game against the top 3 or 4 (I'm assuming you also lose to burn) decks in the format, you're bad against removal.dec, and you have very little interaction with combo.

I mean, Merfolk has always been a deck that tempos out/capitalizes on stumbles/your opponent doesn't read cards.

I had someone go for Scapeshift to bolt all my dudes instead of killing me because I was at 20 life, he could only do 18, and threatened lethal next turn, and he didn't read Kira when he threw 3 bolts at my board. He promptly lost that game, scooped up and dropped from the tournament.

Yeah, basically, you have to look at a Merfolk list and take it for granted instead of thinking "wow, how does this garbage win?"

The answer is drowning in value while you drown in islands and countered spells.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Hellsau posted:

I disagree, we saw that horrendous U/R Sphinx's Tutelage win a GP and that thing needed all the luck in the world to win a match.

It was a totally unknown quantity in a bad Standard format. Rogue decks have a history of doing that and taking advantage of the complete lack of answers.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

Burn is actually in Merfolk's favor, Most burn draws do around 17 damage, and Merfolk takes no damage from its mana base meaning that by the time burn has spent its load merfolk is able to crack back for the win.

Against tron it is roughly 50-50 preboard and slightly in trons favor postboard. Unless the merfolk player is on 8 seas which makes the matchup closer to 60-40 preboard and 50-50 post. The 8 seas variant is weaker to burn though, so there is a tradeoff.

Affinity is merfolks worst matchup. An easy 20-80 in affinity's favor and postboard the matchup is at best still 40-60 in affinity's favor.

Other than that, Merfolk is roughly 50-50 against most of the format with an autowin against hatebears and a very difficult match against combo elves and Lantern Control.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Madmarker posted:

Burn is actually in Merfolk's favor, Most burn draws do around 17 damage, and Merfolk takes no damage from its mana base meaning that by the time burn has spent its load merfolk is able to crack back for the win.

Against tron it is roughly 50-50 preboard and slightly in trons favor postboard. Unless the merfolk player is on 8 seas which makes the matchup closer to 60-40 preboard and 50-50 post. The 8 seas variant is weaker to burn though, so there is a tradeoff.

Affinity is merfolks worst matchup. An easy 20-80 in affinity's favor and postboard the matchup is at best still 40-60 in affinity's favor.

Other than that, Merfolk is roughly 50-50 against most of the format with an autowin against hatebears and a very difficult match against combo elves and Lantern Control.

There's no feasible way to customize your sideboard to make one of your unfavorable matchups better without making the rest of them really, really bad. This is Merfolk's biggest weakness, it does one thing well and can specialize to gently caress over one other deck specifically while also just losing most games to the other matchups you suck wind against.

If you run 4 Hurkyl's Recall for the affinity matchup, grats you probably get mowed over by Elves, and Tron doesn't give a poo poo.

If you run 8 Seas for Tron, then grats, Affinity and Burn don't care, neither do Elves.

Chalice of the Void on 0-1? Good luck with Tron and Lantern Control buddy.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Hellsau posted:

Also a reminder about PT AVR that deck needed a miracle to win.

To be fair alex hayne ran pretty well at limited.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Count Bleck posted:

There's no feasible way to customize your sideboard to make one of your unfavorable matchups better without making the rest of them really, really bad. This is Merfolk's biggest weakness, it does one thing well and can specialize to gently caress over one other deck specifically while also just losing most games to the other matchups you suck wind against.

If you run 4 Hurkyl's Recall for the affinity matchup, grats you probably get mowed over by Elves, and Tron doesn't give a poo poo.

If you run 8 Seas for Tron, then grats, Affinity and Burn don't care, neither do Elves.

Chalice of the Void on 0-1? Good luck with Tron and Lantern Control buddy.

Elves? Is Elves a thing now?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Lancelot posted:

It's definitely tier 2 and is pretty good against decks that aren't running a red sweeper or a million kill spells.

It's good draws (casting company on turn 3) are great and even it's really bad draws kill early ish and draw a bunch of cards.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Lancelot posted:

It's also sometimes called mono-green company.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Count Bleck posted:

Of course burn cares about 8 seas. My buddy plays the 8 seas version often and burn will frequently keep a 2 lander. If you don't draw another land in time you're proper hosed. I've had this happen to me more often than I want against him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Lancelot posted:

It won a GP not that long ago, didn't it?

• Locked thread