Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

sebmojo posted:

[–]ArrachtasOfEireAntares Scorpions 3 points 2 days ago* 

Still trying to figure this out. But, as promised:

"Canfield fell and the sword returned to MIfoon's hand, the blood on it magically dissolving. Mifoon, out of the corner of his eye, saw the yojimbo Pablo rushing at him, his eyes filled with rage at how Mifoon had killed his lover Susan in the moonlight raid on Brender Camp." (Glynn's eyes suddenly duplicated her hero's fearsome rage.) "Mifoon knew he could not bring his sowrd around to be used effectively on Pablo, so he clicked the Ice Queen's whip, with its heat-guidance tip, at the on-rushing adversary. Of course it caught Pablo in the neck, first bouncing off it, then wrapping itself tightly around his neck and choking him to death." (Glynn's eyes bulged at the feel of an imaginary whip on her own neck; she seemed to expire as the whip tightened, then her eyes shot open, sending some of the children reeling back-ward in fright.) "Stepping over the body of Pablo, jerk-ing the whip off the dead man's neck, Mifoon now turned to greet the attack of the evil-"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

press the button

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Drythe fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Feb 1, 2016

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

We need more TwerknMech Kerensky brothers

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Drythe posted:

We need more TwerknMech Kerensky brothers

I was gonna go with the traditional spelling: Twerkenmech, drat character limit.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Washout posted:

And so begins the story of a giant mary sue who disdains piloting battlemechs in favor of destroying them HAND TO HAND!

Cassie's not a Mary Sue.

Pretty much nothing Cassie does is ever portrayed as a good or positive thing except in the short term. She's portrayed as a completely broken human being and a sociopath struggling with mental illness and post-traumatic stress. Her books are genuinely good.

I don't remember, are you the person who told me in mumble the other day that you didn't like them because "Mexicans Mexicans Mexicans OK, I get it?"

Edit: I don't think that was you.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Feb 1, 2016

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Cassie's not a Mary Sue.

Pretty much nothing Cassie does is ever portrayed as a good or positive thing except in the short term. She's portrayed as a completely broken human being and a sociopath struggling with mental illness and post-traumatic stress. Her books are genuinely good.

I don't remember, are you the person who told me in mumble the other day that you didn't like them because "Mexicans Mexicans Mexicans OK, I get it?"

I think you're mistaking him for me, but I wasn't "Mexicans Mexicans Mexicans", I said that Victor Milano writes about their southwestern culture, tex-mex ways, etc etc so many times in one paragraph that it legit gets annoying very loving quickly.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Marshall Louis posted:

I was gonna go with the traditional spelling: Twerkenmech, drat character limit.

Same

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

TeeMerk posted:

Alexandsr ~HeLioS~ Kerensky

Changed mine to Helios Skeet Skeet Kerensky a few hours ago.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I can't believe you scum are assuming the hallowed Twerkenmech Bloodname without a Trial of Position.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Devorum posted:

I can't believe you scum are assuming the hallowed Twerkenmech Bloodname without a Trial of Position.

*trial of twerking

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The Battletech novels aren't terrible as far as sci fi books aimed at teenaged boys go. I read a ton of them, plus a ton of Star Wars novels when I was that age and even then I could tell the writing was better than SW. That's not saying much, but if you really want to plumb the depths of bad paperback scifi SW is where it's at.

If you REALLY want to see gutter-grade writing go look at Baen Publishing's catalog. I'm talking in terms of structuring a narrative and creating interesting characters - the subject matter can be absolutely :psyduck: but that is better covered elsewhere. We're talking books where just due to the way it is structured you can tell it had zero editorial input and probably nothing more than a quick read-over for spelling and grammar by the author himself.

BT books aren't art, but they're not bad either. They're the book equivalent of a middle-of-the-road 80's action movie.

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Devorum posted:

Wouldn't that be a Twerking of Position?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Marshall Louis posted:

Wouldn't that be a Twerking of Position?

No, you must assume a Position of Twerking first.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Yolomon Wayne posted:

No, you must assume a Position of Twerking first.

Face-down rear end-up.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Which mech has the most junk up in it's trunk

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Skoll posted:

I think you're mistaking him for me, but I wasn't "Mexicans Mexicans Mexicans", I said that Victor Milano writes about their southwestern culture, tex-mex ways, etc etc so many times in one paragraph that it legit gets annoying very loving quickly.

Might've been someone else then, since that was a direct quote.

I can certainly see that aspect of the 17th recon getting tiring, but since a good portion of it is an elaborate façade to keep people's hopes up in the face of a fictional universe that wouldn't even notice (much less care) if the whole lot of them die I can forgive it.

There's a reason the 17th's motto is "whatever gets you through the night."

Edit: I like them because the 17th are basically the villains from a gun-fu action movie from the 80s. They are literally working for the bad guy.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 1, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

The marauder's torso is about 1/2 booty

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I'm addicted to my urby

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

A.o.D. posted:

The marauder's torso is about 1/2 booty

It's always been a bit of a half-assed design.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
a veteran player's experience on a new account

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

:five:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pattonesque posted:

Two of my friends picked up the game last week. One of them took to it just fine and didn't need much coaching. The other guy... Well, when he used the trial Dire Wolf I went along for the ride in my Angry Dad. He died after dealing 22 damage. I wrecked a bunch of nerds and did like 900-1000. This continued for another two rounds though my friend did improve and achieved the lofty heights of 180 damage. Meanwhile, I was basically this image.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Pattonesque posted:

:pusheen:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Fil5000 posted:

Atlas obviously.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tmyiPwSD_o

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

The weapons depicted are torso mounted in the Atlas DDC, not arm mounted. Immersion ruined.

Furthermore... :suicide:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The trial King Crab's 4 UAC5s suit my "scream like an anime and never stop firing until either you or them are dead" needs just fine.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
Or never stop firing until all 4 of them are jammed, anyway.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Luigi Thirty posted:

The trial King Crab's 4 UAC5s suit my "scream like an anime and never stop firing until either you or them are dead" needs just fine.

It's real goof

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

:vince:

:golfclap:

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

mashed_penguin posted:

*trial of twerking

Oh, THAT'S who Walter is!

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
https://twitter.com/russ_bullock/status/693928935139123200

well russ, you're the one who buffed the dropships

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The problem has nothing to do with the mechanics of the game themselves. Buff or nerf sniping/brawling/whatever and it doesn't loving matter as long as the maps each have a dominant play style that they favor. The key to fixing these problems is to design maps where both styles of play are effective. The best example of this within MWO itself is Crimson Strait. You have some big, open areas where long range mechs can really gently caress up anyone caught out in the open, but you also have some narrow, congested areas that can be used to get around those. The canyons map is also similar in this regard, and to a lesser extent so is mining collective. Note that the solo maps that everyone hates are ones that enforce a single play style. Dropped in a brawler on polar highlands or alpine? Might as well just overheat-suicide and grab another match.

The biggest problem, though, is the way that the CW maps are built completely different from the rest of the maps. It goes way beyond issues like open spaces vs. areas with lots of cover. Look at the CW maps. While they frequently have multiple avenues to attack those avenues are identical for all intents and purposes. It's not about picking a route to advance that plays to the strengths of your mech, it's about picking lane A or lane B. Those maps aren't designed like maps for a FPS, they're designed like maps for a LoL-alike. Maybe if they spawned a fuckload of AI tanks and infantry or whatever it could just be a FPS MOBA.

If they want CW to not suck the first thing they need to do is unfuck the maps. Large, open maps that let the teams pick how they are going to advance is what they need, not this bullshit with gates blocking narrow chokepoints. poo poo, make polar highlands a CW map. That could actually be a fun map with a drop deck and a objective.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

The problem has nothing to do with the mechanics of the game themselves. Buff or nerf sniping/brawling/whatever and it doesn't loving matter as long as the maps each have a dominant play style that they favor. The key to fixing these problems is to design maps where both styles of play are effective. The best example of this within MWO itself is Crimson Strait. You have some big, open areas where long range mechs can really gently caress up anyone caught out in the open, but you also have some narrow, congested areas that can be used to get around those. The canyons map is also similar in this regard, and to a lesser extent so is mining collective. Note that the solo maps that everyone hates are ones that enforce a single play style. Dropped in a brawler on polar highlands or alpine? Might as well just overheat-suicide and grab another match.

The biggest problem, though, is the way that the CW maps are built completely different from the rest of the maps. It goes way beyond issues like open spaces vs. areas with lots of cover. Look at the CW maps. While they frequently have multiple avenues to attack those avenues are identical for all intents and purposes. It's not about picking a route to advance that plays to the strengths of your mech, it's about picking lane A or lane B. Those maps aren't designed like maps for a FPS, they're designed like maps for a LoL-alike. Maybe if they spawned a fuckload of AI tanks and infantry or whatever it could just be a FPS MOBA.

If they want CW to not suck the first thing they need to do is unfuck the maps. Large, open maps that let the teams pick how they are going to advance is what they need, not this bullshit with gates blocking narrow chokepoints. poo poo, make polar highlands a CW map. That could actually be a fun map with a drop deck and a objective.

another problem is that ammo-based builds actually run up against their weakness of running out of ammo in CW maps. You can sit back and zap away all day with ER Larges, do 2500 damage, and never lose a 'mech -- but switch to AC/20s and SRMs and suddenly you're very limited.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

You can always rely on :pgi: to assess the problem and come to the completely wrong conclusion.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://twitter.com/russ_bullock/status/694246421822775297

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

This just describes almost all my matches, average players be turtley as gently caress. Either have more secondary objectives or open up the map to lower practical chokepoints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

PoptartsNinja posted:

Cassie's not a Mary Sue.

She succeeds in every task set before her with no problems whatsoever and why am I even arguing about these terrible books that I hate? And no that was not me.

Washout fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 1, 2016

• Locked thread