Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
so there's like a non-zero chance that "React World" isn't gonna flop hilariously and it appears on all accounts that their stupid audience hates their dumb idea so the question is -- where do you go as a company from here? "Apologise" and scrap the proposed surefire failure and thereby pretend like it never happened, or go out swinging full steam ahead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Homestar Runner posted:

so there's like a non-zero chance that "React World" isn't gonna flop hilariously and it appears on all accounts that their stupid audience hates their dumb idea so the question is -- where do you go as a company from here? "Apologise" and scrap the proposed surefire failure and thereby pretend like it never happened, or go out swinging full steam ahead?
They make this response: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t-vuI9vKfg

Apparently Homestar Runner knew this was coming years and years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEgoPp9FI3Y

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Note: Their response in the video linked is equal to "we're not in the wrong, YOU'RE the one misunderstanding".

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

This entire thing is cringe-worthy. From their pompous attitude, especially the red bearded (don't grow a beard if your hair is red by the by....), bobbing his head up and down, rolling his eyes when Spectacles over there mentions how people are misunderstanding them, to the JUST TRUST US GUYS, WE'RE NOT TAKING PEOPLES poo poo IF YOU KNEW US PERSONALLY YOU'D KNOW THIS. Oh yeah, and the best part. "What exactly constitutes any of your series formats? And the simple answer is watch any of our series that is part of the react world license, and that is the exact format.". Then he relates the situation to BURGER KING. hahahahahahaha.

Suck it YouTube.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

senrath posted:

The Let'z Play thing was actually fairly irrelevant to the final verdict, that video is wrong (there was an initial thing about Let'z Play, but then the USPTO followed up saying the term was just too generic, so the first bit was pointless).

Here's a more accurate reporting of events.

They mention the beginning process of that decision in a follow-up portion, since the whole thing is done live on Twitch and the second bit hasn't been put up on YouTube yet. This video was done on the 18th too, before that decision had been reached, which surprises me because I thought it would take a good deal longer yet.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
How can I sign up to be a fancy teen actor in one of these "teens react to" videos? I can make a funny face when the Internet video does something weird.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

BMS posted:

rolling his eyes when Spectacles over there mentions how people are misunderstanding them

to be fair their fans are evidently a bunch of bandwagoning idiots with crap for brains

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

These guys should not be the ones on camera explaining this or they should have somebody carefully run through what they're gonna say and how they should behave on camera.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Holy Christ I was in the 'what a bunch of dumbies' category before but this video makes me think these two idiots are full-time chodes.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a49fipjglyc

Really good breakdown of the whole thing.

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

watho posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a49fipjglyc

Really good breakdown of the whole thing.

This doesn't answer my most pressing question: Why are all these people wearing hats indoors?

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Suspicious Dish posted:

How can I sign up to be a fancy teen actor in one of these "teens react to" videos? I can make a funny face when the Internet video does something weird.

E-mail me at slowbeef AT gmail with your reaction that I can make into Adults Re.......Spond To The Fine Bros

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

slowbeef posted:

E-mail me at slowbeef AT gmail with your reaction that I can make into Adults Re.......Spond To The Fine Bros
Call it "Adults Reflect on" and trademark having a small pocket mirror in the shot.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Maybe if youtube didn't have a culture centered on unironically referring to things like "content creators" and "brands" this kind of thing wouldn't happen.

*tumblr gif of sassy lady drinking a drink*

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Eulisker posted:

This doesn't answer my most pressing question: Why are all these people wearing hats indoors?

Male pattern baldness.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

slowbeef posted:

Do you pay "the big bucks"?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They look like they're about to break out in tears at any minute because you don't get it we're building a community where you pay us.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I said "a lot of wiggle room," but that doesn't mean that direct competition is a-ok. That's pretty specifically what isn't ok. Apple Computers got away with its name because it started out in an entirely different industry from Apple Records, and pretty much any time AC did anything sound related AR sued them again.

Apple Computer "got away with it," because they settled out of court and paid royalties to Apple Corp in the late 70s. Then they violated the agreement on two or three occasions as they moved closer and closer to Apple Corp's domain (music). Each time, Apple Computer lost and settled out of court. In the end they bought the trademark from Apple Corp and licensed the name back.

You can totally just trademark a word. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Corps_v_Apple_Computer

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I was honestly surprised to find out that the shortened term of android, 'droid', was a trademarked term. Granted I heard it used plenty of times, normally associated with Star Wars, but I also just assumed that it was just the shortened version of a commonly used sci-fi term. But yeah, that's why I try not to assume things with copyright or trademarks, because there's a good chance I don't know what I'm talking about.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

There's a "TheFineBros lose subscribers" livestream if you're into watching numbers steadily tick down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH0qahqv5YM

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I said a swear word. Out loud.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Leal posted:

I said a swear word. Out loud.
Edgy as gently caress.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

BMS posted:

(Don't grow a beard if your hair is red by the by....)

Those dudes might be terrible, but there's no need to drag innocent beards into this.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

There's a "TheFineBros lose subscribers" livestream if you're into watching numbers steadily tick down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH0qahqv5YM

This is pretty funny.

Also their response video is on youtube's front page now.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Niggurath posted:

I was honestly surprised to find out that the shortened term of android, 'droid', was a trademarked term. Granted I heard it used plenty of times, normally associated with Star Wars, but I also just assumed that it was just the shortened version of a commonly used sci-fi term. But yeah, that's why I try not to assume things with copyright or trademarks, because there's a good chance I don't know what I'm talking about.

That one's not too surprising, since DROID is a set of Motorola smartphones. I imagine it doesn't hold up against anything outside of phones, though I'm quite likely wrong.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Onean posted:

That one's not too surprising, since DROID is a set of Motorola smartphones. I imagine it doesn't hold up against anything outside of phones, though I'm quite likely wrong.

Supposedly BattleTech was renamed from "BattleDroid" after finding that Lucasarts held the rights to the term "droid" but I can't find any source for that.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
IN OTHER NEWS I figured people had already talked about this but i guess not so imma plug it, The Extra Credits guys have an LP channel now which is basically an extension of EC as it's generally focused on game design and they bring on game designers as guests, if you're into that kinda thing it's p neat!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG9e7yuNg3U

(linking their most recent video because SA's video embedding is hecked up and I have no idea how to fix it)

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Yardbomb posted:

Those dudes might be terrible, but there's no need to drag innocent beards into this.

#ALLBEARDSMATTER

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They're rescinding their trademarks and discontinuing React World.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

There's still some justice left in this world :911:

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Not gonna lie I was half-expecting that link to go to a tweet saying "Fine, assholes"

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

D'awww, they took down the original videos too. haha. Oh well, at least we will always have this gem. (Plus, I'd be willing to wager that somebody has downloaded those videos and will be uploading shortly.

Also, staring at this thing while drunk is very creepy. It's like I can see the space between his eyes growing larger and larger.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Good for them.

Still chodes, but at least they know when to give up a dumb idea.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm disappointed. I was on track to becoming an React World licensee too.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Did it have to be an all or nothing? Could they have kept with React World while also stopping the trademarking and threat of competition takedown? Or would that make it too hard to enforce people who joined actually sharing ad revenue?

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Garrand posted:

Did it have to be an all or nothing? Could they have kept with React World while also stopping the trademarking and threat of competition takedown? Or would that make it too hard to enforce people who joined actually sharing ad revenue?

The whole point behind this was to be able to make money off of other people using their "format", and "tools" etc. etc. while not actually having to do anything. Without the trademarking, they can' get a piece of the profits, which means the entire motivation behind this thing is dead. It's not like they were actually trying to make some great community and "ALL FOR THE PEOPLE" nonsense. It came down to the dollar, and they've taken the most cost-effective way out now. Either drop it completely (as it's useless if it's not making them money off of other people's poo poo), or keep going, and potentially loose a good percentage of their viewership/being ostracized by a good portion of the online people that keep up with this stuff...which would take an even bigger bite out of their wallets.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Plus it would take someone going through videos but if they were evening out in views, and saw a bunch of up and coming channels doing similar stuff and getting a lot of views they could have wanted a way to make sure they don't lose anything.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Did anyone keep track of the damages to their subscriber count? Had to have been a shitload for them to give up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

TaurusOxford posted:

Did anyone keep track of the damages to their subscriber count? Had to have been a shitload for them to give up.

http://socialblade.com/youtube/user/thefinebros

Roughly 280k lost subscribers since the announcement Thursday.

• Locked thread