Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
I have a reef octopus HOB-1000 skimmer and it's loving great! The only reason I'm not still using it is that it's pretty big and the wife kept complaining about seeing the collection cup over the top of the tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Behold! Drip acclimation on a shoestring budget. It works surprisingly well. Poke a hole in the bottom of the bag and pinch it off with a clothespin to control the flow.

Pocillopora, plating montipora, mexican turbo snail, and of course a sexy shrimp :3:

Looking forward to trying to track down a 2nd sexy shrimp and a mini maxi anemone for them to host in.

Anony Mouse fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 7, 2016

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

SweetKarma posted:

Would you guys recommend getting a protein skimmer for a 29g tank? My LFS recommended not getting a protein skimmer for a tank this small. I can't remember exactly why they advised against it. I think it had something to do with the skimmer removing nutrients from the water column or something. They recommended just doing weekly water changes, but sometimes I forget/get busy with work and I forget to change the water. I've developed a slight algae problem, and I can see gunk floating on the surface of the water. Right now all I have is a carbon reactor. I only have two clowns and a couple of corals, I'd like to add some more fish/corals, but I'm afraid the algae problem will get out of hand.

This is my tank:

I'd say try and grab some macro algae that look good, but be aware that they WILL compete with the corals for space, and you might end up doing a deal with the devil.

I'm standing by my oyster + macro "system." I've got a 55 gallon and haven't done any water changes for like 6 months, just topping off whatever evaporates. My fish look pretty ok, I still have crabs scuttling around, but I do have issues with hair algae getting all over everything and pissing me off.

On the other hand, when I first set up this tank (it's also my first), I basically ordered a shitload of every kind of crazy rear end algae I could think of and just dumped everything in there. There are some forms that are coming back that I thought were completely extinct. Must have been some residual spore. I also have sponges growing randomly in there as well. My one coral that survived (some kind of orange/beige small polyp stony) is doing a lot better now.

I guess there's a couple caveats.
  1. I always had this set up from the beginning as a wild west thunderdome and never put anything expensive in the tank, nothing I was not willing to lose
  2. I let it go like a fuckin irresponsible dick until I had greenwater that was practically opaque
  3. I also said gently caress it and never tested anything for months, etc.
  4. I hate putting my hands in the tank and now everything is overgrown with 50 pounds of algae. I literally ripped out three pounds the other day and really should be doing this every other day or something instead of once a week.

So I wouldn't recommend doing it this way if you have fancy style $55,000 hand bred rare fish cultivars, or if you've got a very specific tank idea with such and such aquascape, etc. If you're willing to be a bum-rear end hippy about it it can be kind of cool. I was so fuckin' amped to see those algae coming back and these sponges just appear out of nowhere. At the same time I was sad when those hitchhiker anemones disappeared.

I sort of wish I had a sump or some easy way to divide the tank out so that I could have this macro algae on one part and actual rockwork with corals and stuff and not worry about the eternal war between them.

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Take care of the dead and the dead will take care of you
I like your style. I pretty much do the same Thunderdome crap except I occasionally throw random wierd things in. All my sexy shrimp vanished after a few months but I might try them again eventually.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Everything that swims in one pic.

These guys get along so well, it is great.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
So I decided to start up a salt water tank. I have a 40 gallon breeder, I filled it up with some livesand and cycled it for a bit and put in a live rock. This is my first saltwater tank so I'm trying to decide what to put in it when it's done cycling. Any tips for a first timer?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

RC Cola posted:

So I decided to start up a salt water tank. I have a 40 gallon breeder, I filled it up with some livesand and cycled it for a bit and put in a live rock. This is my first saltwater tank so I'm trying to decide what to put in it when it's done cycling. Any tips for a first timer?

Buy an RODI unit if you don't already have one.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
A decent RODI is a great investment and will prevent a lot of issues. I had a second hand RODI for my first tank which was less than stellar and I had tons of algae and cyano problems because of it.

The other important investment I'd recommend is decent lighting. Don't cut corners when it comes to lights, spend the money for a good LED fixture, ideally with separate dimmable channels for each color so you can mix the right balance for your tastes and needs.

As for stocking - research, research, research. Never buy something, especially impulsively, unless you understand its care requirements.

My pico tank update:

Sorry for the blue washout, I need to get a cheap UV filter or something.

Things are going fairly well. I've had almost no algae and zero cyano in this first two months, so that's great. Microfauna seem to be thriving, I've seen lots of pods, though I haven't spotted any mysid shrimp in the last two weeks, maybe they're just hiding in the overflow box.

Unfortunately, I have two big problems.

The first is temperature. All three of my thermometers disagree, but from what I can tell the water temperature hovers between 78 and 80 degrees, possibly as high as 82. I know that small tanks have problems with this, and mine is especially vulnerable because not only does the lid prevent evaporation, but it keeps my lights about 1 inch from the water surface. I really don't want to have to drill for an IceProbe, so I need to find a way to ditch my lid and mount the lights and see if that helps.

Problem #2 is my sexy shrimp. I have three of them now, and I'm having trouble getting them to feed. They're very shy, and when I squirt frozen plankton and/or food pellets at them they just run away and hide and don't seem to actively eat. I'm worried that they're picking at my pocillopora, they love to hang out near it and I've caught them picking at it a couple of times. Now I've noticed this growing white patch on the coral. At first I thought it was new growth but now I think that it's damage from the shrimps.

Anyone have ideas on how to get my sexy shrimps to eat enough to leave my corals alone?

Final thoughts: I think I've identified the tiny hitchhiker anemone from my initial batch of live rock. It's mostly nocturnal and from what I've read it's a small bubble anemone. Most people say it's harmless but does anyone know much about them?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
It's a fairly common hitchhiker nem.

http://www.lionfishlair.com/hitchhiker/corynactis.shtml

As far as I can tell truly harmless since it avoids light and therefore will not harm your corals, and doesn't even appear to cause distress in fish.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
+ it looks rad.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Usually you can't see them, that's the thing--they hide in rock shadows.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Anyone dosing nitrate? :laugh:

I'm stuck with undetectable nitrate and .3ppm p04 that I can't bring down because there's zero nitrate in my system. Side effect of vodka dosing I guess. I suppose I could just dose lanthanum chloride to bring it down but it seems like it would be better to balance the nutrients in the system.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
Just feed more?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Rallos posted:

Just feed more?

I would but I have no way of knowing which foods are higher in Nitrate vs Phosphate. Could just exacerbate the issue instead of fixing it.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
You could dose ammonia! :laugh:

Vessel From Denny
Nov 20, 2007
Has anyone had any luck getting tank bred clowns to host anything be it a nem or coral? I've had a new clown for about a week now and he seems to have settled in but doesnt seem interested in my BTA or duncans, he just hovers over them never getting too close. Will he host or will he need a bit of encouragement?

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
It just takes time. I have a pair of tank bred clowns that I got seperate from each other. There was a good size difference so they paired up fine. I added a large green rbta and it took some time but eventually one started hosting and then a few weeks later the other one followed.

I just swapped them over to my new larger tank and they are no longer hosting the nem. Which honestly is probably a good thing for now so the nem can settle in and find a spot it likes. I'm sure they will find it again.

-e- The little clown actually tried hosting my duncans before it figured out the nem was there.

Rallos fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 22, 2016

Mapparu
Sep 22, 2013

Rallos posted:

It just takes time. I have a pair of tank bred clowns that I got seperate from each other. There was a good size difference so they paired up fine. I added a large green rbta and it took some time but eventually one started hosting and then a few weeks later the other one followed.

I just swapped them over to my new larger tank and they are no longer hosting the nem. Which honestly is probably a good thing for now so the nem can settle in and find a spot it likes. I'm sure they will find it again.

-e- The little clown actually tried hosting my duncans before it figured out the nem was there.

so cute lol!

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
Update for my office tank:

Added a bunch of zoas and removed the torch (took home) and the anemone (RIP). Changed my ATO from avast to the new autoaqua smart micro and couldn't be happier with it. Great little ATO.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Those zoas look great, nice looking little tank there!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I'm on week 3 of cycling my first saltwater tank. 40 gallons, a I have two clown fish. I want to eventually have coral, but how many crabs and snails should I have, and would an emerald crab work with coral? When can I start adding invertebrates? I'm starting to get algae on my live rock

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
Once you get some algae you can start adding inverts. I would start with 10-15 snails, 10-15 blue leg hermits, a cleaner shrimp (fire, skunk, or coral banded it's personal preference) and you can add 1-2 emerald crabs. I would make sure to get small ones because when they get big they can bother things. What is your equipment like? (Lights, skimmer, dump, etc).

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Rallos posted:

Once you get some algae you can start adding inverts. I would start with 10-15 snails, 10-15 blue leg hermits, a cleaner shrimp (fire, skunk, or coral banded it's personal preference) and you can add 1-2 emerald crabs. I would make sure to get small ones because when they get big they can bother things. What is your equipment like? (Lights, skimmer, dump, etc).
For lights an LED coral light? I'll look up the brand when I'm home. A fluval 306 for filtration and what is a skimmer or a dump? And should I wait to add invertebrates? I heard something about an ammonia spike

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
Is this your first fish tank? Also I meant sump not dump... was phone posting.

Out of curiosity, where are you located?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Rallos posted:

Is this your first fish tank? Also I meant sump not dump... was phone posting.

Out of curiosity, where are you located?

Illinois USA and its my first saltwater tank.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
Chicago? That is where I work actually...

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Rallos posted:

Chicago? That is where I work actually...

Bollingbrook actually. Right by a petland

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

RC Cola posted:

Bollingbrook actually. Right by a petland
The corals at that Petland are overpriced, just as a heads up. Struggling to think of a much better place in that immediate area though..

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Slugworth posted:

The corals at that Petland are overpriced, just as a heads up. Struggling to think of a much better place in that immediate area though..

Well I'm only a few weeks into the tank so I think corals are still a ways off

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Slugworth posted:

Buy livestock from the reefwise in Lisle, that's not too much of a trek from there. Like 10 minutes.

Right now, though, id wait for the CMAS swap in the spring, that would be around appropriate time to start with corals.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

broken clock opsec posted:

Buy livestock from the reefwise in Lisle, that's not too much of a trek from there. Like 10 minutes.

Right now, though, id wait for the CMAS swap in the spring, that would be around appropriate time to start with corals.
That's like the only store in a 20 mile radius I hadn't been to, so I checked them out yesterday. Great selection of corals, reasonable prices. Thanks for the heads up.

My search for nassarius snails locally continues however. Probably gonna have to have my local LFS order them. No clue why I can't find them recently.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
There's a great local reef group for Chicago area goons if any of you are interested. You can find out about the local stores in our area as well as buy/sell/trade and just general reef talk with locals. If your tank has a problem or anything if you contribute people will even come help you.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Slugworth posted:

My search for nassarius snails locally continues however. Probably gonna have to have my local LFS order them. No clue why I can't find them recently.

Probably better off waiting until the spring and ordering from Reefcleaners. AquariumDepot (formerly Reefs2Go) also does a decent job with Atlantic livestock.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

broken clock opsec posted:

Probably better off waiting until the spring and ordering from Reefcleaners. AquariumDepot (formerly Reefs2Go) also does a decent job with Atlantic livestock.

The Ark in Merrillville usually has them. I bought 9 of them a couple weeks ago. If you're close to the loop you could bring me some $ and is be happy to get them for you as I live out that way. I work in the loop.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Rallos posted:

The Ark in Merrillville usually has them. I bought 9 of them a couple weeks ago. If you're close to the loop you could bring me some $ and is be happy to get them for you as I live out that way. I work in the loop.

I'm way the hell out northwest normally, like Rockford's closer than the Loop out there.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Reefcleaners has way better pricing than my lfs, even with shipping. Definitely gonna wait and go with them. Not an emergency, just hoping to find a snail my melanarus wrasse won't eat. I figure he's in the sand all night, the nassarius are in the sand all day, hopefully they don't run into eachother too often. So far he's mowed through astrea, turbos, hermit crabs, and an emerald crab. I hate him. But he's pretty, and he ate all my bristleworms and planaria.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Even bigger crabs like the emerald huh. I've been watching my male melanurus wrasse mow through mexican redlegs and mid-sized blue legs for awhile now. If he weren't so gorgeous (especially while paired with the female in this tank) I'd have traded him in already.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Yeah, it's incredible. It's possible the emerald died of unrelated causes and he just went after the corpse, but the wrasse wasn't in the tank more than a week before I found crab pieces on the sand. The hermits though, he tore to shreds within minutes of being put in the tank. The largest two survived a week or so before he got them.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I ordered some stuff from reefcleaners a few weeks ago when it was really cold here in Nebraska, and all but one emerald crab made it just fine. So you don't necessarily have to wait if you are impatient like me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I enjoy that all of you are from chicagoland. I got 5 turbo snails, 6 hermits, and 1 emerald crab. What else should I add to my cleanup crew? 40 gallon breeder

• Locked thread