Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Taught one of my friends how to play magic yesterday. I am an enabler of bad habits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

The Shortest Path posted:

Luck simply doesn't get you to top 8 at Grand Prix and SCG open/classic events, sorry.

Every time this happens people say this like somehow it'll be true eventually.

The guy that won SCG's standard last week was absolutely awful. Playing an aggro deck, he mostly kept 7 card hands that did nothing until then 3, he missed guaranteed lethal attacks, he sequenced things badly, he sideboarded badly, etc. But somehow he still won.

I remember a few years ago a guy made it to the finals of an SCG legacy event with BUG Delver despite having absolutely no idea how to play the deck, or how Storm or Dredge (his semi and finals opponents respectively) worked. His Storm opponent misplayed his Carpet of Flowers and lost to himself and the Dredge player thoroughly destroyed him in games that were easily winnable.

Don't even get me started on the trainwreck of a deck that won vintage Champs last year. Or the people that talk about it like it's some kind of brilliant new take on deck-building.

Luck is a huge part of this game.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

suicidesteve posted:

Every time this happens people say this like somehow it'll be true eventually.

The guy that won SCG's standard last week was absolutely awful. Playing an aggro deck, he mostly kept 7 card hands that did nothing until then 3, he missed guaranteed lethal attacks, he sequenced things badly, he sideboarded badly, etc. But somehow he still won.

I remember a few years ago a guy made it to the finals of an SCG legacy event with BUG Delver despite having absolutely no idea how to play the deck, or how Storm or Dredge (his semi and finals opponents respectively) worked. His Storm opponent misplayed his Carpet of Flowers and lost to himself and the Dredge player thoroughly destroyed him in games that were easily winnable.

Don't even get me started on the trainwreck of a deck that won vintage Champs last year. Or the people that talk about it like it's some kind of brilliant new take on deck-building.

Luck is a huge part of this game.

There's always this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvJyCL7Pemo

Warning: potato quality video, but very high quality jokes.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
are we counting the luck of your opponent being even worse than you

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Zoness posted:

"You played badly, but I still looove you"

Thread title plz

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean we're not just talking about one top 8, Merfolk puts up results fairly consistently. That's probably because people just sometimes manage to dodge its horrible matchups though, and I can imagine pros don't want to take that risk (especially when there's very little you can do to the deck or its sideboard to help prepare for those matchups).

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Merfolk is less vulnerable to removal than I think most people give it credit for. It only takes 2 lords to make most of your guys un-bolt-able and for the most part damage-based sweepers aren't going to kill your pumped team. With twin gone it's going to be a lot rarer that you have matchups that go bolt-snapcaster-bolt and prevent you from building any kind of board presence.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Sickening posted:

So the top 16 of the modern classic is up.

U/G Infect
G/R Scapeshift
Burn
G/R Tron
Jund
G/R Tron
Naya Zoo
Affinity
Kiki-Chord
Burn
Dimir Mill
Burn
G/R Tron
Jeskai Control
Burn
Merfolk

http://sales.starcitygames.com//dec...e=OH&country=US

So less affinity and more burn at the top than I would have guessed. Hell, one deck is labeled naya zoo and its nothing more than another burn deck. A mill deck made the top 16 lol. Combo not doing well in this one outside the one scapeshift.

This weekend should be interesting.

Wowee. 4th place tron deck has no groves, no emrakul, and warping wails in the main and board. 6th place has a thought-not and 2 world breakers main, 3 kozilek's return, no ugin main deck, and a matter reshaper a 3rd world breaker and a warping wail in the board. 13th place has 3 ghost quarters 3 groves main and 2 warping wails in the board.

I'm never going to have enough time to get a decent amount of testing in before Saturday.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

Zoness posted:

I would watch every event featuring these two.

On a side note, I miss Extended so much.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

black potus posted:

are we counting the luck of your opponent being even worse than you

The greatest luck is probably starting 1-0 in the grand finals of a GP because your opponent misreg'd and it wasn't caught until the finals :laffo:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Bugsy posted:

Wowee. 4th place tron deck has no groves, no emrakul, and warping wails in the main and board. 6th place has a thought-not and 2 world breakers main, 3 kozilek's return, no ugin main deck, and a matter reshaper a 3rd world breaker and a warping wail in the board. 13th place has 3 ghost quarters 3 groves main and 2 warping wails in the board.

I'm never going to have enough time to get a decent amount of testing in before Saturday.

I have a feeling that painlands are good enough over Groves to get you to top 8, even if it's possibly not ideal. Maybe it's a rare circumstance where the "strictly worse" card for the deck is so close in usefulness that it doesn't matter. The deck has enough ways to generate colored mana without taking damage if they play against burn.

Not a single Eldrazi deck, huh? Maybe Eye/Temple won't be banned after all.

Edit: My friend tells me he thinks the pros are just holding off on Eldrazi until the PT so they don't give away tech.

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 1, 2016

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

ShaneB posted:

Of course burn cares about 8 seas. My buddy plays the 8 seas version often and burn will frequently keep a 2 lander. If you don't draw another land in time you're proper hosed. I've had this happen to me more often than I want against him.

I guess ymmv, because everytime I've seas a land against Burn they just drop another one and I'm sad.

I guess it's mostly a variance thing at that point though.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

BJPaskoff posted:

I have a feeling that painlands are good enough over Groves to get you to top 8, even if it's possibly not ideal. Maybe it's a rare circumstance where the "strictly worse" card for the deck is so close in usefulness that it doesn't matter. The deck has enough ways to generate colored mana without taking damage if they play against burn.

Edit: My friend tells me he thinks the pros are just holding off on Eldrazi until the PT so they don't give away tech.

These classic opens aren't exactly top tier tournaments. I would consider them as reliable for information as your local 1k.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Zoness posted:

This is a classic vid

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Count Bleck posted:

I guess ymmv, because everytime I've seas a land against Burn they just drop another one and I'm sad.

I guess it's mostly a variance thing at that point though.

I think you're still happy, though. Either they are flooding out and you'll beat them or they draw the desired two-three lands and you can Seas them. Seas seems great either way.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Zoness posted:

I wouldn't mind Randy in the booth more often if this is what we got.

"How funny you managed to bring up the fact that you were in the finals of a Pro Tour"

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Osyp is a dick lol

but it's more colorful then any of the guys who commentate these days i'll give it that

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Anyone have suggestions for cheap booster boxes to pick up for drafting? Kind of think about either getting Kahns or Conspiracy.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Fiend Computer posted:

Anyone have suggestions for cheap booster boxes to pick up for drafting? Kind of think about either getting Kahns or Conspiracy.

If you want a unique and fun drafting experience, Conspiracy is the way to go.

It's designed specifically with draft in mind, and has a bunch of cards that affect the draft itself.

If you want a standard but good draft, triple khans is good.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Fiend Computer posted:

Triple Khans is solid good (and worsened with the Fate Reforged in the mix) so go for that. Conspiracy is intended for multiplayer games, keep that in mind.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
3x KTK is the best format since the original Modern Masters, go for that. If you're not worried about the cards you draft being standard playable, you can get a box of M13 pretty cheap and it's a fantastic draft set. I don't care for conspiracy much, but that's not a universal opinion by any means.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Echoing triple Khans. The mana is so good and the format is slow enough that you can draft whatever you like. There's good space for both aggro and control, and Jeskai even has a tempo/combo-ish feel.

Triple BFZ is also quite good (and still selling), but I think it has a steeper learning curve and much fewer viable strategies (though still fun).

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Lancelot posted:

Echoing triple Khans. The mana is so good and the format is slow enough that you can draft whatever you like. There's good space for both aggro and control, and Jeskai even has a tempo/combo-ish feel.

Triple BFZ is also quite good (and still selling), but I think it has a steeper learning curve and much fewer viable strategies (though still fun).

I wasn't actively playing for RoE or 3xINN. 3xKhans is my favorite set I've ever drafted. I'm very partial to the UGx morph deck. Its good when you just get a bunch of the common blue and green morphs and splash black or red, it is great when you get secret plans, icefeather avian, sagu mauler etc.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

3xKTK is so good I built a set cube out of it so I can more-or-less make endless packs of it to draft from until the end of time.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

ShaneB posted:

3xKTK is so good I built a set cube out of it so I can more-or-less make endless packs of it to draft from until the end of time.

I'd like to share this. My store does a chaos draft for FNM before every pre-release. The deck I drafted pre-Fate was a Sultai Khans deck with help from a few other sets. It was insane. My only regret was I only got to ranch three people with it.

6 Forest
6 Island
1 Jungle Hollow
2 Opulent Palace
2 Swamp
1 Thornwood Falls
1 Archers' Parapet
1 Compulsive Research
1 Fleetfeather Cockatrice
1 Font of Fertility
2 Glacial Stalker
1 Hooting Mandrills
1 Icefeather Aven
1 Icy Blast
1 Mistfire Weaver
1 Mystic of the Hidden Way
1 Nyx Infusion
1 Rattleclaw Mystic
1 Sagu Mauler
1 Secret Plans
2 Sigiled Starfish
2 Sultai Charm
1 Sultai Scavenger
1 Treasure Cruise
1 Woolly Loxodon

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I won a box of OGW yesterday and I opened all of 30 something bucks of value from it in SCG buylist conversion. It was Kozilek and Kozilek's Return . Pretty much the saddest box I ever had the displeasure of opening.

Think I'll just ask for store credit/Origins Boxes next time. :sigh:

On a lighter note I no longer need to buy Kozilek's Returns, and I really, really want to make Kozilek EDH.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Count Bleck posted:

I won a box of OGW yesterday and I opened all of 30 something bucks of value from it in SCG buylist conversion. It was Kozilek and Kozilek's Return . Pretty much the saddest box I ever had the displeasure of opening.

Think I'll just ask for store credit/Origins Boxes next time. :sigh:

On a lighter note I no longer need to buy Kozilek's Returns, and I really, really want to make Kozilek EDH.

Ask me about my first box of MMA. The mythics were Jugan and Sarkhan, the only cards that were worth more than $10 were foil Path and foil Tooth and Nail.

Ask me about the other 9 boxes. 0 Goyf. 1 Confidant. 1 foil mythic (Vedalken Shackles.) At least we had fun drafting with them.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Did SCG take down the "what does the pro tour mean to you" video? I can't find it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Foreskin Problems posted:

Did SCG take down the "what does the pro tour mean to you" video? I can't find it.

No.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Yes thank you!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

BJPaskoff posted:

I mean maybe. I tried to explain this to some guys at FNM but they were like "but it hasn't won anything!" That's true, but the core of the deck runs 10 sources of untapped uncounterable ramp and the Urborg/Eye combo is practically Modern-legal Mishra's Workshop. There's basically no other decks that deck away with that kind of acceleration - Tron has to assemble itself really slowly and Affinity needs to draw a very specific hand with Opal to get real acceleration going. Eldrazi is playing 2 drops on turn 1 by putting one of 6-8 lands, none of which come into play tapped, in its deck onto the battlefield. This isn't necessarily a big deal in a world where you're doing durdly poo poo like main-deck Scrabbling Claws, but it could be in a world where pushed cards like Reality Smasher and Thought-Knot Seer are running around. It's an open question is how often the deck is playing Thought-Knot on Turn 2 because that play in and of itself is pretty oppressive, not to mention playing Thought-Knot turn 2, Reality Smasher/Oblivion Sower turn 3.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Olothreutes posted:

Do they have anything that isn't apple related? I'd love this, but I don't have any apple products. Everything I can find is apple based, but I'm hoping your laptop isn't a mac and therefore I have hope.

E: Like two links later and I found the android version. Crisis averted, everything is better now. Their website is terrible and just blasts everything apple on the first page with a tiny android link off to the side. Jesus.

E2: It exports to CSV. Holy poo poo.

I downloaded the windows version and started with it last night. Rocked through the first 250 cards in my collection in no time, looking forward to finishing tonight.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I use deckbox and put anything uncommon and over in it, unless it's some valuable old Common. It has a lot of flaws but is kind of the best of the worst w/r/t options. I hate that their prices are based on their fairly useless deckbox market price rather than TCG like the rest of the world. I have set up a few trades on there but not many.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Going to regionals running Grixis Delver, how do folk feel about Engineered Explosives as sideboard tech these days?

(I'm running 3 Vampiric Links out of spite, not out of an expectation to win burn matchups)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

A big flaming stink posted:

Going to regionals running Grixis Delver, how do folk feel about Engineered Explosives as sideboard tech these days?

(I'm running 3 Vampiric Links out of spite, not out of an expectation to win burn matchups)

The goal is to land a Vampiric Link on an Eidolon of the Great Revel, right?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Entropic posted:

The goal is to land a Vampiric Link on an Eidolon of the Great Revel, right?

It's also good when you put it on Gurmag Angler.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

A big flaming stink posted:

What's your list look like? I'm also a fan of never having your delvers flip in modern.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

In Modern its fair to call a deck with a horrendous Affinity match up "unplayable," and it comes back around to the fundamental problem with current Modern.

Also bad decks place all the time. There was a really really bad deck in Standard recently that people argued was actually secretly good but that had a losing percentage against literally every other deck in the field, but that just happened to make up a weirdly large portion of the field for a minute. It was some goofy burn or mill deck, anyone remember which one I am talking about? Like in the past year or so I believe.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

rabidsquid posted:

In Modern its fair to call a deck with a horrendous Affinity match up "unplayable," and it comes back around to the fundamental problem with current Modern.

Also bad decks place all the time. There was a really really bad deck in Standard recently that people argued was actually secretly good but that had a losing percentage against literally every other deck in the field, but that just happened to make up a weirdly large portion of the field for a minute. It was some goofy burn or mill deck, anyone remember which one I am talking about? Like in the past year or so I believe.

The tutelage deck that won a major tournament and then was scullfucked out of the format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Yeah that deck saw a TON of play and did not have a single even close to winning match up against anything. At all.

edit: The percentage of the field / percentage of a deck actually making t8 are relevant information that is very rarely listed when arguing the health of a format or particular deck

• Locked thread