Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Baal posted:

That was a good until the last five minutes where the same joke just kinda dragged on and on.

"OKAY, YOU NEED TO CHILL OUT!"

Was a pretty good end tho

The joke was a bit long-winded yeah but it still had a great pay-off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The last 5 minutes of that were awful

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

TheKingofSprings posted:

I enjoyed it, but yeah that commentary was pretty on the nose

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Newest DBS episode is really good. They seem to be sticking closer to Beerus' characterization from the BoG arc rather than the BoG movie.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
Champa's growing on me, loving that fat goony cat.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Screw it. Let's see how far I can get into this thing before I flip a table and bail. I'll try and keep these short and infrequent so I don't spam the thread.

Dragonball GT episode 3 thoughts:
-Our first space adventure: Goku meets the greedy space-arabs. Yay racism!
-Apparently this ship's controls are simple enough for a child to control. Capsule Corp makes some good poo poo!
-Every lifeform in this universe speaks Japanese. No exceptions.
-The locals don't seem to give a poo poo about the aliens that just showed up out of nowhere. I'm guessing aliens are a thing here!?
-Do these aliens accept Zeni? If so how would they go about spending it?
-That robot just demanded a tip. Do robots here spend money? Are they sentient creatures with citizenship and rights and stuff?
-How does this hotel get repeat business? I get that they're parodying hotels that bill you for everything but they literally won't let you turn off the water that they're charging you for. It would have been much funnier without that detail since we've all accidentally used the mini bar at some point or another.
-What the actual hell was up with the bed that chains you to it? Did Trunks accidentally activate some sort of weird sex contraption?
-Pan's being kind of a whinny bitch in this episode. I miss the version of her that stopped bank robberies with her bare fists.
-Annoying new robot friend is annoying.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

There are certain moments in abridge series that I think hurts their rewatchability down the line and makes them a product of their time and they will not hold up to stand any test of time. These five minutes and the Rip van Winkle recharacterization might be the worst offenders in Hellsing Ultimate here, which is a tad of a shame. Then again, one of their earlier episodes had a short clip and mention of Adventure Time and while the joke was funny, I feel it'd hold better without showing us that part.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The thing that bothers me most about GT is that nobody is ever training, at least in what I've seen.

There's a lot of fighting, but no practice and training to overcome limits or anything. It's like its missing the core of what makes Dragon Ball what it is.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
"And that, my grandchild, is how Dracula and his boob-cop attendant defeated the Nazis and the Catholic Church and saved England."

"But grandpa, what's a Jake? I don't understand."

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Omega Shenron looks cool, but is a nothing character. While Nova Shenron is the secret best character in GT, though that's not saying much.

That's my GT opinion, bye.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
Will Super continue past the timeframe of GT, or will GT always be floating out there as a pseudo-canon continuation of the series?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MY ABACUS! posted:

Will Super continue past the timeframe of GT, or will GT always be floating out there as a pseudo-canon continuation of the series?

Unless things change really really drastically in Super it's pretty safe to assume that Super has retconned out GT if just because Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
In universe 6 the Tuffles--who are canon and still exist because the saiyans never left planet Salad--are total dicks and create Baby to try and take over the universe.

Grandpappy Vegeta did nothing wrong

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MY ABACUS! posted:

Pilaf and crew are still children, and of course Goku can go SSJBlue, so GT couldn't be more non canon if Toryiama walked outside, dropped his pants, and shat on it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Super will end like Dallas: it was all a dream.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
Yeah, but both of those things could be waved away. It's like Gohan forgetting how to super saiyan and any other age manipulation.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
GT will turn out to be the dreams of a kid staring into a snow globe.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Covok posted:

GT will turn out to be the dreams of a kid staring into a snow globe.

It should end like the Mario Bros. movie, but with Toriyama saying, "That's dumb, you're dumb."

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Burkion posted:

Pilaf and crew are still children, and of course Goku can go SSJBlue, so GT couldn't be more non canon if Toryiama walked outside, dropped his pants, and shat on it.

Plus there stuff like Supreme Kai splitting from Kibito too.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

GT's conception of Hell is way different from what Super has too.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

readingatwork posted:

Screw it. Let's see how far I can get into this thing before I flip a table and bail. I'll try and keep these short and infrequent so I don't spam the thread.

Dragonball GT episode 3 thoughts:
-Our first space adventure: Goku meets the greedy space-arabs. Yay racism!
-Apparently this ship's controls are simple enough for a child to control. Capsule Corp makes some good poo poo!
-Every lifeform in this universe speaks Japanese. No exceptions.
-The locals don't seem to give a poo poo about the aliens that just showed up out of nowhere. I'm guessing aliens are a thing here!?
-Do these aliens accept Zeni? If so how would they go about spending it?
-That robot just demanded a tip. Do robots here spend money? Are they sentient creatures with citizenship and rights and stuff?
-How does this hotel get repeat business? I get that they're parodying hotels that bill you for everything but they literally won't let you turn off the water that they're charging you for. It would have been much funnier without that detail since we've all accidentally used the mini bar at some point or another.
-What the actual hell was up with the bed that chains you to it? Did Trunks accidentally activate some sort of weird sex contraption?
-Pan's being kind of a whinny bitch in this episode. I miss the version of her that stopped bank robberies with her bare fists.
-Annoying new robot friend is annoying.
Pan is 8

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

There are certain moments in abridge series that I think hurts their rewatchability down the line and makes them a product of their time and they will not hold up to stand any test of time. These five minutes and the Rip van Winkle recharacterization might be the worst offenders in Hellsing Ultimate here, which is a tad of a shame. Then again, one of their earlier episodes had a short clip and mention of Adventure Time and while the joke was funny, I feel it'd hold better without showing us that part.

I think the one that stands out the most to me was that lame Iron Man avengers joke they got Bulma to say verbatim, that one was a real groaner

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think people tend to overestimate how dated pop culture gets. The jokes become dated but a well-done pop culture joke can be funny even if you don't recognize the reference. A big example of this is the old Looney Tunes cartoons where a reference to common stuff could just become something funny on its own. Obviously that doesn't apply to everything (and DBZA has some really lame pop culture references) but it isn't as instantly going to date something if it references a popular thing.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Neo_Crimson posted:

Omega Shenron looks cool, but is a nothing character. While Nova Shenron is the secret best character in GT, though that's not saying much.

That's my GT opinion, bye.

DBZ villains are great because they aren't just strong, but they have really strong personalities and dominate the scenes they are in. GT is sorely lacking in that, Nova's pretty much the only villain that had a somewhat memorable personality, his whole thing was being an honorable dude who wants a fair fight.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
That's not true, I remember that robot guy who was stronger than Buu, mostly because they used the phrase "stronger than Majin Buu".

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

I think people tend to overestimate how dated pop culture gets. The jokes become dated but a well-done pop culture joke can be funny even if you don't recognize the reference. A big example of this is the old Looney Tunes cartoons where a reference to common stuff could just become something funny on its own. Obviously that doesn't apply to everything (and DBZA has some really lame pop culture references) but it isn't as instantly going to date something if it references a popular thing.

I mean, you are right, certain pop culture things do have a pretty decent life expectancy, it's just some things really don't work well with it. Like how so many movies and cartoons suddenly had a 360 spinning camera with slow motion and freeze frame just before it all collapses after Matrix did it that one time.

Not all things will stand the test of time and I don't think it's that hard to see what definitely will not last. And it is always better if you can guise it in so you don't have to know the source to find it funny.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Namtab posted:

Pan is 8

Really? I would have guessed 10/11. Either way her characterization seems a bit inconsistent from how she was introduced in the pilot.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

I think the reason you see this is because some people in the forums will act physically pained if they get a reference.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I am confused how people think the last five minutes are pop culture references. There aren't any as far as I can tell.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Namtab posted:

Pan is 8

Nah. She's 14. GT starts 10 years after the end of Z, and added enough things to make the story extra dumb. Goku abandoned his family for 10 years, Trunks and Goten are pushing 30, and Krillin's gone grey and old.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Rudoku posted:

Nah. She's 14. GT starts 10 years after the end of Z, and added enough things to make the story extra dumb. Goku abandoned his family for 10 years, Trunks and Goten are pushing 30, and Krillin's gone grey and old.

What. She's 9 in GT. 4 at the end of Z. He "only" left for 5 years.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
DB Super 29 was awesome! Bulma kissing Vegeta was adorable, and I don't even like Vegeta! :3:

I also like Beerus stating that they're looking for the Dragon Balls as just an excuse to host the tournament, although I hope that Goku is right and Beerus is just joking about blowing up the Earth. I'm not a fan of his character's departure from the one established in BoG to a more malevolent one.

I'm super pumped that it looks like we're getting a full-on training sequence with Gohan and Piccolo next week, and I can't wait to hear Monaka's voice, though I'm not sure if he'll appear next week.

Does anyone get the impression that we might be getting a "Search for the Super Dragon Balls" mini-arc before the tournament starts, unlike the manga? It seems to be heading in that direction.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Rudoku posted:

She's changed to 14 in the dub, but she's 9

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Reinanigans posted:

DB Super 29 was awesome! Bulma kissing Vegeta was adorable, and I don't even like Vegeta! :3:

I also like Beerus stating that they're looking for the Dragon Balls as just an excuse to host the tournament, although I hope that Goku is right and Beerus is just joking about blowing up the Earth. I'm not a fan of his character's departure from the one established in BoG to a more malevolent one.

I'm super pumped that it looks like we're getting a full-on training sequence with Gohan and Piccolo next week, and I can't wait to hear Monaka's voice, though I'm not sure if he'll appear next week.

Does anyone get the impression that we might be getting a "Search for the Super Dragon Balls" mini-arc before the tournament starts, unlike the manga? It seems to be heading in that direction.

Probably and expanded version of her meeting the guy who knows everything.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Beerus is taking his wager with his brother very competitively and it comes off kind of evil in the sub because well, he's a god. Blowing up earth ain't really a thing

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Namtab posted:

She's changed to 14 in the dub, but she's 9

Ew. That makes all the creepy poo poo that happens to her in GT even worse. And how the gently caress did Krillin and #18 get so old? And then Bra's younger than Pan, so what the hell's up with that?

Rudoku fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 2, 2016

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Reinanigans posted:

Actually, saying that makes me think... maybe Jaco will be Buu's replacement? If he's subbing for Goku in the Dragonball hunt, he'll probably prove to be stronger than he looks.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

HitTheTargets posted:

Actually, saying that makes me think... maybe Jaco will be Buu's replacement? If he's subbing for Goku in the Dragonball hunt, he'll probably prove to be stronger than he looks.

Dunno, man. Super anime and even Super manga to a lesser extent seem to be implying it'll be Gohan, what with his training in Super anime and his extremely suspicious and conspicuous absence in the manga.

Jaco is awesome though, so I wouldn't mind this. He also wouldn't be yet another saiyan, so he'd fight with some style: something Gohan lacks. Piccolo is definitely the most stylish/visually interesting fighter in the tournament that we have witnessed fight, especially once Buu got DQ'd, Goku does some fun stuff from time to time through Instant Transmission shenanigans and his large repetoir of copied moves...Vegeta gets mad and throws a buncha ki-blasts. Gohan is just plain dull.

Really interested to see how Monaka fights. People on the Internet are guessing he has a transformation of some kind. I kind of hope not. I'd love to see a weird li'l goblin man win the whole thing. It fits with Toriayama's whole "subverting expectations" schtick.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Rudoku posted:

Ew. That makes all the creepy poo poo that happens to her in GT even worse. And how the gently caress did Krillin and #18 get so old? And then Bra's younger than Pan, so what the hell's up with that?

Three words: Hyperbolic Time Chamber.

Edit: Oh man. I just realized that would be a brilliantly subtle way to foreshadow Krillin being some kind of secret badass.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rudoku posted:

18 is just as old in GT as she is in Z, she just has shorter hair. She literally cannot age due to being an android. The only change between Z and GT is that apparently she and 17 have Ki now because Trunks can sense Super 17's Ki and says it is similar to 18's in spite of not having Ki at all because GT is full of plotholes.

GT happens on Age 788, so Krillin (born on 736) is 52 years old by then. It's logical that he looks old, though honestly, shaving that moustache (moo-stache, I guess?) would help him a lot.

Bra was always a year younger than Pan. At least, until the current movies and Super, where Bra apparently just stopped existing entirely, since by Resurrection "F" she should either be born or Bulma should be very visibly pregnant, and neither is true.

The creepy poo poo is indeed really loving creepy, and a bad attempt at humour. But then again, GT.

• Locked thread