Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't think people were complaining that there were non-whites and women in the game period, I mean that's fine for you normies playing what ever vanilla cultural-marxist propaganda race Paradox came up with. But what about those of us who want to *ROLE PLAY (note not actually nazi's or racist in any way, this is simply **ROLE PLAYING) some sort of fascist racist human society where non-whites were exterminated or enslaved and women know their place? I mean clearly that would be a bad society, but it's deeply, deeply important for me to know I can play the game that way. And if we can have enslavement, can we do it along pre-existing human racial lines rather than an abstracted thing? Can we exterminate certain historical human cultures and then not see their portraits or names within our empire??

*not actually a racist I just really need an all-white human race option
**100% not racist this is just a video game I'm very serious about playing without weird african names popping up and ruining my ***racist immersion.
***Only the empire I'm role playing is racist or has racist fantasies, I the player-poster am NOT racist mind you.

Ok, back to my 50 page intro to my upcoming Nazi Germany Hoi4 LP and user-customizable Holocaust mod.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

zedprime posted:

I thought that Stellaris operated on the Star Trek principles of the universe, which includes the requirement that any non-transcendent sentient space faring species must be able to have sex with Riker or Kirk.
People gently caress pavements, I'm sure they'll figure how to gently caress a giant mushroom.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Baronjutter posted:

I don't think people were complaining that there were non-whites and women in the game period, I mean that's fine for you normies playing what ever vanilla cultural-marxist propaganda race Paradox came up with. But what about those of us who want to *ROLE PLAY (note not actually nazi's or racist in any way, this is simply **ROLE PLAYING) some sort of fascist racist human society where non-whites were exterminated or enslaved and women know their place? I mean clearly that would be a bad society, but it's deeply, deeply important for me to know I can play the game that way. And if we can have enslavement, can we do it along pre-existing human racial lines rather than an abstracted thing? Can we exterminate certain historical human cultures and then not see their portraits or names within our empire??

*not actually a racist I just really need an all-white human race option
**100% not racist this is just a video game I'm very serious about playing without weird african names popping up and ruining my ***racist immersion.
***Only the empire I'm role playing is racist or has racist fantasies, I the player-poster am NOT racist mind you.

Ok, back to my 50 page intro to my upcoming Nazi Germany Hoi4 LP and user-customizable Holocaust mod.
This pretty much sums it up. Nice synopsis.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

I don't think people were complaining that there were non-whites and women in the game period, I mean that's fine for you normies playing what ever vanilla cultural-marxist propaganda race Paradox came up with.

You forgot to include the bit where they say it's okay to play as the bad guys in the game.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

vyelkin posted:

I liked the part where some Paradox forum-goers thought it was unrealistic that there could be black people in space.
:negative:

Anyway, I like the idea of a limited tech mod. Like maybe a pre-FTL playstyle where you're stuck in your starting solar system for a bit. Maybe it takes weeks or months just to send ships to the nearby planets in the system, and there's tensions between the homeworld , the inner planets and the newest colonies out past the asteroid belt ,because the homeworld needs resources and the colonies resent being unable to focus on terraforming or building up their own economies.

Yeah , I've been watching The Expanse on SyFy.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just some I don't have to read the paradox forums was the issue with female leaders...that they just exist as an optional option (which is beyond stupid) or hey they're dropped into the main game with no real thought and replace historical rulers at chapter points (which has some validity)?

I'm assuming it was not the more valid argument.

Also :lol: at people having issues with non whites in space. Alpha Centauri must have driven them nuts.

That said have people made a holocaust mod? :wtc:

I mean the only thing it should do is give you transport and/tech penalties playing as the Germans. Oh yeah atom bomb progress....well maybe you shouldn't have run off the really smart physicists.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

gfanikf posted:

well maybe you shouldn't have run off the really smart physicists.

Or drafted them into the infantry.

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...
Stellaris: It's a special relationship between and a man and his mushroom.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
To get back to national focus chat, I'm pretty sure they said that most medium and small powers had the same focus tree, which kinda runs against what johan was saying about putting more work into the medium powers in the game. At the same time, I realize you have to stop developing the game at some point and national focuses are pretty good DLC/free update fodder like how EU4 national ideas have been expanded over time (although I imagine national focuses are much more involved to develop and balance.)

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Thing I hope Stellaris has, either a Pulpy Sci Fi visuals DLC (So, Humans in Rubber suit alien portraits, whiz-bang space ships that make no sense, ornate as gently caress future clothing) or mod.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

karmicknight posted:

Thing I hope Stellaris has, either a Pulpy Sci Fi visuals DLC (So, Humans in Rubber suit alien portraits, whiz-bang space ships that make no sense, ornate as gently caress future clothing) or mod.

Sounds like it will be pretty easy to make your own race graphics sets, so this will be easy. I hope we can set lists for pre-set races.

Actually Paradoxdevgoons there's a question, will we be able to seed games with pre-set races instead of all procedural? For instance if someone makes some big nerdy star trek mod and hand-crafts 100 star trek races, will we be able to, perhaps as part of a mod or new-game options have it only or first-choose races from a set list?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Can't decide if I should pick up The Cossacks for EU4 and try out the new patch, or pick up Horse Lords + Conclave and try out CK2 with all the new stuff I haven't touched in ages.

Generally I'm a much bigger fan of EU4 but the new stuff in CK2 sounds pretty cool. How does 'reinforcement' work now? Can you actually refill your armies without dismissing them now?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Can't decide if I should pick up The Cossacks for EU4 and try out the new patch, or pick up Horse Lords + Conclave and try out CK2 with all the new stuff I haven't touched in ages.

Generally I'm a much bigger fan of EU4 but the new stuff in CK2 sounds pretty cool. How does 'reinforcement' work now? Can you actually refill your armies without dismissing them now?

You can reinforce your armies, provided you are in your own territory.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

EU4 is in a really great place right now, but I cannot comment on CK2.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Torrannor posted:

You can reinforce your armies, provided you are in your own territory.

And obviously your enemy can too, so wars are way more risky now. Revolts especially, the patchwork territory means revolters can replenish easy and come back from a crushing defeat.

it's pretty exciting.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I notice that a ton of the generally accepted good changes to CK2 have basically been making it work more like EU :v:

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Speaking of Mobile Suit Gundam, why don't we have a Gundam mod for Europa Universalis IV like Gihren's Ambition/Greed?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

RabidWeasel posted:

I notice that a ton of the generally accepted good changes to CK2 have basically been making it work more like EU :v:

In what way? Way of Life is regarded as one of the best CK2 DLCs, and it's almost exclusively character stuff.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

RabidWeasel posted:

There's now an infamy mechanic and possible coalitions. I think you might be right.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

There's now an infamy mechanic and possible coalitions. I think you might be right.

I wouldn't call those "generally accepted" changes though judging by all the whining on Reddit/PDS forums.

Good, maybe, but I haven't gotten a chance to see them in action.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Speaking of Mobile Suit Gundam, why don't we have a Gundam mod for Europa Universalis IV like Gihren's Ambition/Greed?

Those games do have earth, low earth orbit, and earth's gravity well as three separate maps that can be traveled between and I doubt EU4 can be modded into that.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Didn't help make the decision all that much easier really, both sound pretty exciting :v:

It sounds like they changed the military mechanics of CK2 a bit with the new patch/xpac? Is there a good breakdown on what's different now?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

TTBF posted:

Those games do have earth, low earth orbit, and earth's gravity well as three separate maps that can be traveled between and I doubt EU4 can be modded into that.

If you just need separate maps and travelling between them (and not have to have the different maps operate in different ways) then it'd be pretty easy to hack together with a clever layout and straits.

The real reason no one bothers making fantasy/sci fi TC mods for EUIV the way they do for CK2 is that, well, EU's systems are really great at talking about geopolitical movements on centennial scales, a thing that very few (none?) of these settings are about, but have basically nothing to say about the things they actually are about- like, say, individual people and their relationships with other people. You can try to get around that with the events, but that's a bit like trying to build a chocolate factory by painting a drawing of a chocolate factory on a lion.

A Gundam mod for EUIV is going to end up being EUIV with a weird map and maybe your cavalry regiments are called gundam squads now.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Autonomous Monster posted:

that's a bit like trying to build a chocolate factory by painting a drawing of a chocolate factory on a lion.

:crossarms:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

that's a bit like trying to build a chocolate factory by painting a drawing of a chocolate factory on a lion.

Victoria 3 capitalist factory building AI is sounding like a big improvement.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

The real reason no one bothers making fantasy/sci fi TC mods for EUIV the way they do for CK2 is that, well, EU's systems are really great at talking about geopolitical movements on centennial scales

So, a Foundation mod? I'd play it

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Lol at the official forums predicting a surprise February launch for Stellaris.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Why bother making a sci-fi mod for EUIV when Stellaris is coming out? One of the first things I could imagine for it is an adaptation of CK2's "Crisis of the Confederation" mod, which was mostly just CK2 hacked to a space sci-fi setting.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The rumours started when people noticed someone began playing 'Stellaris Beta' during one of the CK2 streams, leading everyone to believe that the game is further along than they're letting on.

Maybe the devs are just toying with people because of the black people issues and female ant complaints?

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 3, 2016

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Bort Bortles posted:

EU4 is in a really great place right now, but I cannot comment on CK2.

Are there any LPs or threads or...I dunno, websites, I guess, that are good for teaching new players how to play EU4 in its current state?

I got it at launch, got overwhelmed, put it down, then recently bought all the major DLC up to but not including Cossacks in a steam sale (cossacks was the only one not on sale) and I'm kind of itching to play again but not without an idea of what I'm actually doing, because I don't want to get flustered and quit again.

I know that there are "let's learn how to play EU4" LPs but I have no sense of how out of date they might be since there have been so many expansions for the games. Or maybe the game itself has a tutorial that actually properly teaches you what you need to know to do well? I don't know.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ainsley McTree posted:

Are there any LPs or threads or...I dunno, websites, I guess, that are good for teaching new players how to play EU4 in its current state?

I got it at launch, got overwhelmed, put it down, then recently bought all the major DLC up to but not including Cossacks in a steam sale (cossacks was the only one not on sale) and I'm kind of itching to play again but not without an idea of what I'm actually doing, because I don't want to get flustered and quit again.

I know that there are "let's learn how to play EU4" LPs but I have no sense of how out of date they might be since there have been so many expansions for the games. Or maybe the game itself has a tutorial that actually properly teaches you what you need to know to do well? I don't know.
The EU4 thread here is: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3725024&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
The OP is not completely up to date but still has some useful info.

I'm not hip on any current LPs but I dont tend to watch videos of EU4 for anything. I think I see people suggest Arumba's videos because he explains what he is doing and why, even if he makes odd decisions at times, and someone else that I cant remember. The EU4 thread is full of super helpful people though so just pop in there and ask. I'm knowledgeable about the game but still ask for advice all the time and usually get a small flood of helpful posts.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Bort Bortles posted:

The EU4 thread here is: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3725024&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
The OP is not completely up to date but still has some useful info.

I'm not hip on any current LPs but I dont tend to watch videos of EU4 for anything. I think I see people suggest Arumba's videos because he explains what he is doing and why, even if he makes odd decisions at times, and someone else that I cant remember. The EU4 thread is full of super helpful people though so just pop in there and ask. I'm knowledgeable about the game but still ask for advice all the time and usually get a small flood of helpful posts.

Ah, thank you--didn't occur to me that there would be a separate EU4 thread from the paradox one (I only ever browse from my bookmarks these days). I'll take my questions there then!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Psychotic Weasel posted:

The rumours started when people noticed someone began playing 'Stellaris Beta' during one of the CK2 streams, leading everyone to believe that the game is further along than they're letting on.

Maybe the devs are just toying with people because of the black people issues and female ant complaints?

I think if Stellaris was getting close to launch we'd see them streaming the game.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Who knows what's going on, people just getting themselves worked up for no reason - I would love to be playing the game by the end of the month but I'm not about to hold my breath on it. Nor am I going to be performing some Freud like analysis on everything that comes out to try and find some hidden Illuminati code and read Johan's mind.

Anyway, back to my favourite non-fiction time period, today's WWW can be found below if you've not yet watched it:
http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/v/40097159

Nothing particularly special but it sounds like they have other people joining them this week to take control of the other superpowers and mix things up before sub-optimal Germany steamrolls everything. We also get a better look at how naval invasions work, at least now we don't need to juggle around TPs any more.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is there an HD youtube link yet? poo poo's unwatchable on twitch.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
WWW spoilers:
Will America bring some FREEDOM to this game!? Not really, but lol paratroopers. I particularly like the area defense mode right now because without it micro-ing counters to the stuff the US is doing would be incredibly annoying.
Russian national unity is waay too high now, unless Trotsky is a god (if so, OK!). Germany shouldn't need to advance beyond the A-A line to force a Soviet capitulation, particularly if Vladivostok is taken.

It would be nice to hear from the US and Japan players, even if only over voip, just to get the screen share or hear what they're thinking.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Epinephrine posted:

WWW spoilers:
Will America bring some FREEDOM to this game!? Not really, but lol paratroopers. I particularly like the area defense mode right now because without it micro-ing counters to the stuff the US is doing would be incredibly annoying.
Russian national unity is waay too high now, unless Trotsky is a god (if so, OK!). Germany shouldn't need to advance beyond the A-A line to force a Soviet capitulation, particularly if Vladivostok is taken.

It would be nice to hear from the US and Japan players, even if only over voip, just to get the screen share or hear what they're thinking.

I couldn't even figure out what city Russia was supposed to be based out of by the end. Whats left? Novosibirsk? And it looks like the Pahlavis are gonna get their Nadir Shah game on.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
Sorry to hear about your dad Wiz :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

meatbag posted:

Sorry to hear about your dad Wiz :(

Thanks. He's been sick a long time (prostate cancer) and we knew it wouldn't be long, but when it happened I was still really shocked by how fast it went.