Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Elderbean posted:

Went to my first veteran dungeon and accidentally clicked on the hand instead of the shovel, stressed everyone the gently caress out. oops

I think it took me until week 30ish in my first game to realize you need to click the shovel and not the hand. I had bought dozens of shovels up to then and thought walls must do like 50 stress without them :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Elderbean posted:

Went to my first veteran dungeon and accidentally clicked on the hand instead of the shovel, stressed everyone the gently caress out. oops
I kept clicking the hands a bunch of times at the beginning before realising it doesn't automatically use the obvious tool. I'm not too clever.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
To be fair, it's a weird UI decision, and it goes against the way the other things in the dungeon work.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Darkest Dungeon is a game where your grandfather walks behind you for two years, breathing down your neck and commenting on everything you do.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

The game desperately needs a way to boost resolve exp gain for teams so you can catch up people quicker for the lategame.

I agree, and so do the devs---that's the next issue they plan on addressing

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Fat Samurai posted:

To be fair, it's a weird UI decision, and it goes against the way the other things in the dungeon work.

I'm pretty sure you had to drag the shovel in there before, so that's loving with a bunch of people too.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The game should keep track of curios used and auto-place them.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Things that saved my lucky rear end: if you retreat from a room battle, it still counts for the room exploration objective.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

That would be great. Sometimes i'm thrown off by things not taking what i feel like they should, like mummified remains needing bandages instead of holy water.

Took out the L3 sunken crew last night in about 3 rounds. He ate a serious face full of crits from my crew - grave robber with a 50 pt dagger throw, occultist with a 40 pt crit shank, and even my MaA got into it with his own 35pt crit. I only had to stop a moment to kill the anchor guy off and the boss followed right after that. I feel like i prefer occultists in damage roles more than I do healer roles, because those mustache dudes do a crapload of damage

ErKeL posted:

My first fight with him I was having fun just stacking reduced damage on his rear end and breaking up all his pews until he rains down some massive crit and instantly knocks one of my guys from max health to death's door. Freaked out and killed him next turn. Dude hits hard when he wants to. Not even sure how he managed it because I'm sure I stacked at least 90% reduced damage on his rear end for that one turn.

Just got my 2nd hero to resolve 5 which is going to drive me nuts. He's useful as gently caress but now he's all alone and I only have a small team at lvl 4 still. I don't even know how he got so far ahead of everyone else because I've barely used him.

Probably used him in more medium/longs than the others.

On the topic of dungeon length i'm doing more of those item ones - picks etc, now that i tweaked the inventory file to allow all those quest items to stack, the additional payout you get from those types makes them worth doing. I also did the same with heirloom drops - doubling their stack max. It's proving a lot more bearable since the grind is lessened a bit when you can carry more haul out of a dungeon. I'm alright with limited inventory but it is often very frustrating and fixing that just makes it more fun to me, since the combat challenge is what i have fun with

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

I have no qualms about just having the wiki curio page open while playing the game.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

fatherboxx posted:

Things that saved my lucky rear end: if you retreat from a room battle, it still counts for the room exploration objective.

This saved me too, in the Veteran dungeon that Quarreled my poor Plague Doc to death. I had to do the whole thing with Dismas, Reynauld, and a Hellion and the last fight I needed was going really bad, so I pulled out rather than lose a Hellion I'd just spent like 5000 GP upgrading, too. Instead I got Quest Complete.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I know a lot of people knock on buffs like they're really bad but you can stack them in perpetuity up to 3 times the value as well as debuffs, blight, and bleeding. If you're not playing a full on damage comp that can end at least one or two monsters in the first turn buff stacking can really turn the tide. I especially like Man-at-arms's bolster for all that extra dodge and speed to your whole team. Battle ballad is especially good since it boosts speed accuracy and crit, which are an amazing combination of stat ups. The crit speed and accuracy buffs are especially good vs. many bosses, crit being a huge player in chunking down large, high hp monsters.

Consistent stress healing is also great in champion dungeons and dark runs where stress can easily spiral out of control, especially if a madman smacks a Nervous hero with his quest-long debuff. I feel like he's best with self-sufficient characters (like Hellion, Leper, and of course Abomination) or an Occultist to make up for his lack of damage and healing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

MinibarMatchman posted:

I can't fathom not taking a minute or so to slap even rudimentary poo poo on characters. stuff like 15% virtue chance, 33% more heals given for vestal/occultists, accuracy buffs for lepers, etc all can make a huge difference.

I have exactly 1 33% heal trinket, which is one of the half-dozen trinkets that I use.

90% of the trinkets I have are not worth the speed penalty.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

FrickenMoron posted:

Some curios have multiple options. Some curios have bad things when you cleanse them.

The shovel is auto-placed so new people don't have to guess on what to use.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
They thoughtfully autoplace the only completely obvious one.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
You know they did it precisely because it fucks you over.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

I have exactly 1 33% heal trinket, which is one of the half-dozen trinkets that I use.

90% of the trinkets I have are not worth the speed penalty.

Well, at least you can sell those for gold.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Scribbleykins posted:

Well, at least you can sell those for gold.

yeah it's p nice.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Snak posted:

yeah it's p nice.

Each time you sell one of those it increases the chance that your scrubs gamble away one of the good ones.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't sent people to the tavern
Hell I don't really send people anywhere unless something has gone very wrong.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Demiurge4 posted:

- Aoe is a trap. An enemy at 4HP is just as effective as an enemy at 20HP. It's tempting to use zealous accusation and the highwaymans volley but don't, stick to single target and only use a stun if you don't think you can kill an enemy this turn.
Nah. Use AoE when it will finish off one of the targets without a DoT.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Yeah if an AoE will guarantee at least one kill (either by itself or stacked with a DoT) then it's strictly better than a single-target attack as it softens additional enemies. Just make sure you look at the minimum damage of the AoE as you don't want to leave something alive that would have died to a basic attack. You might also miss but you can miss either way so control for the things you can control.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Single target burst was a big thing in one phase of early access but AOE got better when they played with the damage modifiers and rounding semantics to make AOE do a lot more damage than single target burst, mathematically speaking.

Corpses also made AOE better implicitly since chopping the face off the front guy is no longer the biggest thing ever.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Yea actually no. The change to damage modifiers nerfed aoe loving hard-core. A viable strategy before involved stacking +dmg modifiers to the point that your aoe damage penalty was negated and then you used just that until there was only 1 target left. I recall using a 2x occultist 2x highwayman setup in medium+ length missions with stacking buffs and spamming grapeshots, and I think someone in the thread jacked up a jester so that his solo was doing full damage.

Corpses also nerfed aoe a bit, since you don't feed an actual enemy into your aoe grinder.

I seem to recall someone at redhook actually mentioning that a decent number of people actually were having issues with walls and shovels by their numbers, so they added in the auto-placed shovel.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Been playing Darkest Dungeon for a while, comfortably into level 3 dungeons now. I didn't play during Early Access despite having a key so all I know about the game is watching some streams back then and playing now. It is a good and cool game, though I cannot for the life of me figure out why you would use Highwaymen when Grave Robbers exist. Also I can't get Crusaders to work, it feels like they're super lackluster anywhere that isn't the Ruins, and even there they're just okay at best.

ps: gently caress giants

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Use AOE if you like having 4 enemies alive taking actions against you on the next turn.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
AOE attacks are pretty rad as long as you're not tossing them out thoughtlessly. 2 overlapping AOEs will always be a better move than 2 single target attacks at those same two positions.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I love AoEs on the Bandit Pounder fights. Being able to hit the cannon and the matchman at the same time is always nice.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Gabriel Pope posted:

AOE attacks are pretty rad as long as you're not tossing them out thoughtlessly. 2 overlapping AOEs will always be a better move than 2 single target attacks at those same two positions.

Uh yeah that, chill out y'all

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Graverobber's middle double dagger throw really loving owns but it's split 50/50 on a high accuracy and crit character. Usually a backline targeter like occultist (abyssal artillery is another amazing AoE) ends up smacking the 3rd rank enough that graverobber can chuck daggers at 2 and 3, killing 3 and grievously injuring 2.

Enemies that live at one hp are also great for AoE chip damaging like houndmaster's harry and man at arms' bellow (on top of afflicting bleed/ a really loving good debuff)

Grapeshot blast kinda really sucks unfortunately :(

The weird thing I have with Highwayman is that his guns never seem to do much damage and they always seem to loving miss. Meanwhile open vein absolutely destroys things with its crit rate and bleed stacking so usually i just end up spamming that

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Throw dagger rank 3 ---> Plague grenade ----> Sniper's shot rank 4 = Goodbye back two enemies*

*May not achieve results on Champion dungeons

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Chomp8645 posted:

Throw dagger rank 3 ---> Plague grenade ----> Sniper's shot rank 4 = Goodbye back two enemies*

+70 stress because every enemy took their turn before you managed to kill/disable one.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FrickenMoron posted:

The game desperately needs a way to boost resolve exp gain for teams so you can catch up people quicker for the lategame.

Or just replacing lvl 0's with lvl 3's in the coach when all the level appropriate bosses are dead.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

I don't sent people to the tavern
Hell I don't really send people anywhere unless something has gone very wrong.

"Do not let your brainz get addicted to respite"

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Kill the squishy dudes in the back first

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Clean Guns helps the Highwayman but the problem is it just brings him up to speed where like Restring Crossbow just makes the already-good Arbalest better. And it's a camp buff so it comes with all the logistical issues associated with that.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

AnonSpore posted:

Been playing Darkest Dungeon for a while, comfortably into level 3 dungeons now. I didn't play during Early Access despite having a key so all I know about the game is watching some streams back then and playing now. It is a good and cool game, though I cannot for the life of me figure out why you would use Highwaymen when Grave Robbers exist. Also I can't get Crusaders to work, it feels like they're super lackluster anywhere that isn't the Ruins, and even there they're just okay at best.

Crusaders can definitely work outside of the Ruins, and in the Ruins they're superstars. They're one of only three classes with a stress heal, they have a stun and a full damage attack that can hit rows 3 and 4. Something I like to do is set up a party with a lot of shuffle or multiple row effectiveness, for example Hellion in row 1, Grave Robber or dog man in row 2, Crusader in row 3 and a healer of some stripe in row 4. Open up with Holy Lance to help clear off the back rows then switch to Stunning Blow in case of big man, Smite in case of small man or big man about to die or Inspiring Cry if the fight's under control and I have the time or need to patch up stress levels. Battle Heal is a useful ace in the hole if you've been getting dinged up and need to top off your front liners, too. If you're not running with a Jester, seriously give Inspiring Cry a shot, it's one of those abilities that work way better in practice than the anemic numbers on the sheet might lead you to believe. As for Highwayman... yeah, I'm with you there. I had to force myself to level mine to 6 because my thought process was always hey, I have two perfectly viable Grave Robbers in rotation, what reason exactly do I have to not use either of those, and I have yet to come up with a good answer for that.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
On paper the Highwayman's not so terrible in comparison to the Grave Robber, especially after Clean Guns. Grapeshot does comparable overall damage to Flashing Daggers, it just does it to three targets instead of two which is both an upside and a downside. Wicked Slice is stronger than Pick to the Face because the Highwayman's weapons are stronger (+1 min damage and +4/5 max damage than hers at all levels) though it's slightly less accurate; it has the same bonus crit (and IIRC better than Open Vein's). And in spite of nerfs and issues like corpses Point Blank Shot still has one of the highest damage outputs relative to other attacks; I believe it's the strongest unmodified single hit in the game (stuff like Smite against Unholy or Collect Bounty against a Human beat it but that's a modifier).

The main issue seems to be that Thrown Dagger is better than Pistol Shot (no damage penalty, higher crit, still gains Marked bonus) and Poison Dart tends to be more situationally useful than Open Vein in the sense that the things you'd really want to DoT are often weakest to Blight. And Wicked Slice isn't a gun attack so Clean Guns doesn't boost it. Tracking Shot is also kinda mediocre and not worth using. Lunge is way better than Duelist's Advance.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

AnonSpore posted:

Use Highwaymen, plural, when you want to destructively chain Point Blank Shots back and forth (make sure one has a +speed trait and/or a +speed trinket to ensure he usually goes before the other, and put him up front). Consider spending grace time afforded by stuns on Tracking Shot if you see that big enemies keep 'just' surviving, as it not only increases the chance for a crit, but adds damage and accuracy as well. Critting on a Tracking-shot-ed Point Blank Shot is a thing of beauty, as it can strike down (or all but strike down) even full-health big enemies, a least until you hit Champion Tier. Relying on crits alone is not a winning strategy, though, so put on a few +dmg trinkets, get the right traits and/or use the Highwayman +gun camping skill, so that your highway heroes will be one-shotting ordinary front rank enemies all the more often.

Crusader: You might want to give them a second chance, as per Cape Cod's post. They're tough (which is really rather important in later dungeons), can stun and has a half-decent heal that can target the front three ranks, or a stress heal that can also heal a tiny amount (enough to undo being DD'd). Zealous Accusation is also a great way to finish off a rank 1 or 2 enemy low on health, while still dealing damage to the other enemy. Heck, with +dmg trinkets, I seem to recall that Zealous Accusation can, without critting, one-shot lesser enemies (maggots, spiders, crappy skeletons, rabid dogs) in Apprentice tier, possibly also at Veteran tier with fully upgraded gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
My appreciation for most of the low ranked classes improved when I simply experimented with their less obvious skills. Probably more so for the Crusader than anyone else. Inspiring Cry = good. Holy lance = Good.