Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I had an American ask me what the temperature was the other day, and they got mad at me when I told them in Celcius and didn't have a clue what the Farenheit equivalent was.

This happened in Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Okay, a scale that goes from 0-100 is better than one that goes from -20 to 40. A scale that went from 0-10 would be fine too.

But as someone who's always used Celsius and nothing but Celsius, I have no reason to consider those specific temperatures as the starting and ending points of a scale. They're simply -20 C and +40 C and while I know exactly how cold or hot each of those temperatures feel, they just don't equal Maximum Cold and Maximum Hot in my mind like they do for Fahrenheit users.

Having to use negative values when reporting normal cold weather doesn't make the scale worse and I don't know why you'd think otherwise.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Zat posted:

Having to use negative values when reporting normal cold weather doesn't make the scale worse and I don't know why you'd think otherwise.

In Finnish we actually often say "it's fifteen degrees freezing" or "it's a few degrees warm", as if there were two separate scales.

e: oh I guess you're one of us too. In any case.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Zat posted:

It's sure confused the Brits in the past:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/cool-cash-card-confusion-1009701

:v:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ras Het posted:

I'm Finnish.
You seem to be hitting theme of your fellow countrymen on the forums then.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

kalstrams posted:

You seem to be hitting theme of your fellow countrymen on the forums then.

I physically cannot read threads Ligur posts in.

Hip Flask
Dec 14, 2010

Zip Mask
Norwegian here. Celsius rools because above 0 = rain, below 0 = snow.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Lycus posted:

I wish we used Celsius in the US.

My understanding is it's:
0 to 10 = loving cold
10 to 20 = cold
20 to 30 = ok
30 to 40 = hot

less than - 20 = loving cold
-20 to -10 = cold
-10 to 0 = a bit cold
0 to 10 = chilly
10 to 20 = wear a sweater
20 to 30 = perfect
30+ = too hot gently caress

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Count Roland posted:

-20 to -10 = cold
-10 to 0 = a bit cold
0 to 10 = chilly
10 to 20 = wear a sweater
20 to 30 = perfect
30+ = too hot gently caress

Also accurate for Minnesotans using Fahrenheit.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Celcius is a better scale for everything except for apparent air temperature on a human scale, for that one specific purpose Fahrenheit is better.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

HookShot posted:

I had an American ask me what the temperature was the other day, and they got mad at me when I told them in Celcius and didn't have a clue what the Farenheit equivalent was.

This happened in Canada.

Useful shortcut -- to turn C into F, just double it and then add thirty. If the weather report says ten degrees, that means it's really about fifty -- jacket weather.

You can do that in your head in about a second, and it's close enough to correct for all practical purposes, at least over the range of temperatures you'll hear in a weather report.

Remember: double it and add thirty. You're welcome.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

below 0 = doesn't happen
0 to 10 = loving cold
10 to 25 = wear a sweater and pants
25 to 35 = perfect if it's windy or breezing or on the beach
35+ = too hot gently caress

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

:mad:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ras Het posted:

I physically cannot read threads Ligur posts in.

Have you heard of this little thing called the ignore button? (Not that the threads are worth reading anyway.)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Man is the measure of all things.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

This is also a map of countries that are awesome (listed in orange)

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Oh I love guess the map!
uhh.. Super Bowl Victories
Countries that have dropped a nuclear bomb on an enemy
Countries that make pizza the right way
Countries that invented the lightbulb

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Not even Myanmar or Liberia?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Peanut President posted:

Britain is in blue, though?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Kajeesus posted:

Not even Myanmar or Liberia?

Nope, just a bunch of island nations and Belize.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Reveilled posted:

Britain is in blue, though?
Britain still uses Fahrenheit for tabloid sensationalism purposes.

In summer, headlines are "Britain to Swelter in 105° Heat!"
In winter, they're "-10° Arctic Blasts On Their Way!"
Units will be in the small print.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

Hip Flask posted:

Norwegian here. Celsius rools because above 0 = rain, below 0 = snow.

Shame you don't get to experience sub - 5 temperatures since you live on the western side.
Strong winds: worry about evacuation of the oil platform.
No winds: worry about the low oil price

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

Useful shortcut -- to turn C into F, just double it and then add thirty. If the weather report says ten degrees, that means it's really about fifty -- jacket weather.

You can do that in your head in about a second, and it's close enough to correct for all practical purposes, at least over the range of temperatures you'll hear in a weather report.

Remember: double it and add thirty. You're welcome.

This is cool, thanks!

I still wouldn't have helped those assholes, but if nice people in the future want to know the temperature, now I know how to do it!

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Powered Descent posted:

Fun fact I didn't know until I moved to Iowa: -40 is where F and C meet. :(

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

computer parts posted:

Also accurate for Minnesotans using Fahrenheit.

Golbez posted:

Fun fact I didn't know until I moved to Iowa: -40 is where F and C meet. :(

Can confirm. If it's above freezing in January, it's a warm day.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Peanut President posted:

Oh I love guess the map!
uhh.. Super Bowl Victories
Countries that have dropped a nuclear bomb on an enemy
Countries that make pizza the right way

I haven't heard of the nuclear aggressions of Belize and Jamaica before now.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
People who use the wrong system of units are subhuman and bad people, and should be outlawed, IMO.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Freudian posted:

I haven't heard of the nuclear aggressions of Belize and Jamaica before now.

Well THEY covered it up.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

fishmech posted:

This.

Anyway:

I don't want to know what goes on at the Feral furry convention of Ontario. Is it like, a bunch of homeless furries who convene in an alleyway and fight and gently caress all night while screaming unintelligibly? That seems pretty similar to a normal furry convention though.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Now I understand why Europeans have "heat waves" when things get above 30 degrees celsius every so often. There was a 20+ day span in Texas a few years ago where it was 40+ degrees, every single day :negative:

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Quorum posted:

People who use the wrong system of units are subhuman and bad people, and should be outlawed, IMO.

Don't talk about the rest of the world outside of the USA that way.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

JosefStalinator posted:

Now I understand why Europeans have "heat waves" when things get above 30 degrees celsius every so often. There was a 20+ day span in Texas a few years ago where it was 40+ degrees, every single day :negative:

Last summer Oregon had the same thing, but there's no AC in Oregon.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

JosefStalinator posted:

Even right now in the dead of winter it's extremely rare to have a day in Texas that doesn't reach 40+ degrees.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

JosefStalinator posted:

*gets 1mm of snow, closes all schools and workplaces*

Only in the last few years did I see a map where somewhere in india had a 50+ temp. I literally did not know earth actually got that hot. I thought it topped out in the high 30's and beyond that the atmosphere would just catch on fire or something. The fact that the earth has places that get up that high fairly regularly and humans manage to live there blows my mind.

US actually holds the world record for temp at loving 57. Death valley.
The lowest high temp is for Greenland at 25. You go greenland!

But so much of what we're able to handle comes down to infrastructure. Live somewhere that rarely gets snow and a tiny bit can cripple the city because no one knows how to drive in it and the city lacks salt trucks and poo poo. When a temperate climate gets a heat wave hundreds of olds drop off as they boil in their homes because no one has AC. In Australia they don't even bother with heating or insulation for the most part, so the rare times it gets cold people don't do well.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Randandal posted:

Even right now in the dead of winter it's extremely rare to have a day in Texas that doesn't reach 40+ degrees.

He's talking in celcius.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

The lowest high temp is for Greenland at 25. You go greenland!

I'm pretty sure some place in I want to say Iran broke the record this summer.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Not only is it the world's hottest place (and the lowest point in North America), but just a few dozen miles away you have freezing snow-covered mountain peaks (and the tallest point in the contiguous US).

:ca: :911:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Well what about me, I'm an American who chats with his Euro/Canadian online friends so much that I've started using Celsius in my ordinary usage here, even among other Americans.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

There's only one solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U96cnr5ydzA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Count Roland posted: