Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Are you supposed to not be able to see anything in Sylvalum at night??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It needed to be further back and over the shoulder instead of right behind. At least it resets your cooldowns.

I agree about making it further back, but what do you mean "right behind"? Your character's off to the side. Did you fiddle with the camera placement in the options or something?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Are you supposed to not be able to see anything in Sylvalum at night??

That's the spore weather effect, you're going to want it for a specific tyrant that spawns.

fun fact Sylvalum was inspired by the game Another World.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HalfHazard posted:

I agree about making it further back, but what do you mean "right behind"? Your character's off to the side. Did you fiddle with the camera placement in the options or something?

Crammed in right behind their shoulder instead of further back. The player char and his chair take up half the screen in cockpit mode.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Crammed in right behind their shoulder instead of further back. The player char and his chair take up half the screen in cockpit mode.

Oh okay I see what you're saying. Yeah that would be an improvement. And if you do more movement than just changing your elevation, that'd be nice

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

I just tried going to Sylvalum, and I don't seem to be able to properly navigate it in a skell. There are huge robots that blast the poo poo out of me and kill me in one hit. They only appear to be aggressive when I'm piloting, they leave me alone when I'm on foot. I assume there's no trick to them, just lay off the skell gear?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

many johnnys posted:

I just tried going to Sylvalum, and I don't seem to be able to properly navigate it in a skell. There are huge robots that blast the poo poo out of me and kill me in one hit. They only appear to be aggressive when I'm piloting, they leave me alone when I'm on foot. I assume there's no trick to them, just lay off the skell gear?

Yep, I think the idea behind Sylvalum and Caldros is that you're vying in enemy territory and need to be stealthy until you're strong enough to take on the air patrols. I've been one-shot numerous times in both continents.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

many johnnys posted:

There's only a few of them but it's best to wait until you can fly. There's nothing in the air in Sylvalum.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

many johnnys posted:

When you go into cockpit-vision, are you supposed to be unable to see poo poo?

Going into cockpit mode is your cue to start spamming your most powerful arts again. It resets all your cooldowns and they cost no fuel if you use them while in cockpit view. You don't need to be able to see poo poo!

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
That feel when your E scythe pops cockpit mode and you blast something twice in 4 seconds :getin:

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is there anything the ares-90 doesn't trivialize?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Safety Scissors posted:

Is there anything the ares-90 doesn't trivialize?

Yeah, there's a few level 90 Tyrants that'll rip you to pieces still. And, um, you're gonna have a bad time against anything that reflects Ether.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

NTT posted:

That feel when your E scythe pops cockpit mode and you blast something twice in 4 seconds :getin:

That feeling when you use a trivial ability just before e-scythe refreshes and it pops cockpit mode, leaving you unable to strafe behind the guy. It's only a few seconds but man that always feels like a lurch.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

Yeah, there's a few level 90 Tyrants that'll rip you to pieces still. And, um, you're gonna have a bad time against anything that reflects Ether.

That said, crafting the "negate ether reflect" augment is trivial

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Silver Falcon posted:

Going into cockpit mode is your cue to start spamming your most powerful arts again. It resets all your cooldowns and they cost no fuel if you use them while in cockpit view. You don't need to be able to see poo poo!

The scythe is pretty much my go-to and I'm wondering why I don't have two of them equipped.

I think my other slot is something that staggers though, wanna keep that.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
So once you complete Chapter 12 you can start doing those newly unlocked missions for BP, right? Sniper rifle is boring gabage and I want to try something new.

Speaking of the ending, what the gently caress was that? Basically the answer is 'Mira did it' and now nobody gets a body because the database is destroyed?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

BitterAvatar posted:

So once you complete Chapter 12 you can start doing those newly unlocked missions for BP, right? Sniper rifle is boring gabage and I want to try something new.

Speaking of the ending, what the gently caress was that? Basically the answer is 'Mira did it' and now nobody gets a body because the database is destroyed?

Ending spoilers
Post credits "it turns out what we've done was a total waste of time!" is such a weird choice to make. Especially after all those scenes of Luxaar smashing the datacore and us standing there going NO PLEASE STOP instead of actually doing anything at all.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The game is about exploring a new planet. There are no good or bad guys. It's man vs nature in an alien environment, like the movies pitch black or riddick. The story is just there to awkwardly insert anime references.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

Taear posted:

Ending spoilers
Post credits "it turns out what we've done was a total waste of time!" is such a weird choice to make. Especially after all those scenes of Luxaar smashing the datacore and us standing there going NO PLEASE STOP instead of actually doing anything at all.

Yes, exactly. And everyone's like Oh no how are we even here?! NO ANSWER FADE TO BLACK. Also Lao is alive for some reason ENJOY THIS POINTLESS CLIFFHANGER.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Silver Falcon posted:

It resets your cooldowns and makes you invincible. The only way to make things cost no fuel is Overdrive. Seriously, I've said it like five times, and its in the manual.

:siren:COCKPIT MODE DOES NOT DO ANYTHING FOR FUEL COSTS!:siren:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

BitterAvatar posted:

Yes, exactly. And everyone's like Oh no how are we even here?! NO ANSWER FADE TO BLACK. Also Lao is alive for some reason ENJOY THIS POINTLESS CLIFFHANGER.

Ending.
He turns to the camera and OPENS HIS EYES. It's like they decided that there aren't enough cliches so they needed to throw in just one more.

Also exploration without story for me is meaningless and boring - might as well just play a tech demo.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Probably the best sheer enjoyment I've gotten after naming and customizing my first skell was finding Go-Rha, knowing that it was the trap that people in the thread were talking about, then running away.

I realized that I had to swim out to him to trigger the fight. I was like 'well poo poo how do you even fight something like this if you can't stay above the water somehow?'

Then I remembered that the Skell I was going to be getting 40 hours from then would have a Flight Unit installed :getin:

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Also from what I can tell Skell fighting strategy is 'cobble together XX exploit augments, shell out to max your skell's augment slots, then make every single weapon on your skell one damage type and throw a 'damage typeXX' aug or two on the frame and call it a day. It seems kind of lacking compared to onfoot combat. Or maybe I'm missing something?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nah, Skell Fighting is honestly pretty half-baked. It's disappointing.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

It's very Xenogears like that.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

In X's defense here, Skells at least let you cruise at high speeds and fight stupidly large monsters that you've spent the entire game dodging. So while the combat system itself isn't great, skell implementation is nowhere near Xenogears bad.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I'd have been happier about X's skell combat if we'd had more boss fights like the Zu Pharg. I wanted to fight a space battleship in the endgame and all we got was more skell-sized mechs

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skells basically excel as a movement upgrade and a big satisfying "now I can wreck that poo poo" moment, but get weaker once you get beyond that. They had a fine core idea (customizable movesets) that suffers because high-end damage trumps all. All they really need to do to fix it is include more utility options and de-emphasize the value of big superweapons. (Possibly by giving them a larger restriction like "only in Overdrive" or something.)

It's easy to see what Skell combat should have been, Managing a variety of different contextual cooldowns and equipment for different fights. Almost every Skell weapon has some sort of unique attribute that tends to get ignored or devalued in face of spamming G-Buster/E-Scythe. By encouraging players to swap Skell parts in and out to deal with the particular dangers they face they could emphasize a cool customizable combat system that rewards you for pre-planning but still allows you to hop out and fight on foot if you end up in a bad situation.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

NTT posted:

Also from what I can tell Skell fighting strategy is 'cobble together XX exploit augments, shell out to max your skell's augment slots, then make every single weapon on your skell one damage type and throw a 'damage typeXX' aug or two on the frame and call it a day. It seems kind of lacking compared to onfoot combat. Or maybe I'm missing something?

Don't forget the Null Reflect augs, or you'll end up like me and have your skell blow up in your face before you even realize what happened.

In other news, I just got a quest to go sabotage a Man'non politician because his policies were all about pizza, including making the economy revolve around pizza. So now I have to drug his pizza to make him drunk as gently caress and get him to agree to something ridiculous.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Yeah, what this game really needed was even more time spent in the menus.

Most of the ground and skell equipment and build advice is usually hacks to get around some design legacy that already really wanted you in the menu swapping equipment every 5 minutes.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've only made one augment so far, and I've never used it. I'm 130 hours in, and pretty much did everything except some of the super tyrants people have been mentioning. I'm not sure why augments are in the game, except to break it. Same with soul voices. Just opened that menus once, went :psyduck:, and closed it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

many johnnys posted:

The scythe is pretty much my go-to and I'm wondering why I don't have two of them equipped.

I think my other slot is something that staggers though, wanna keep that.

...why didn't I think of that?
Edit: oh, e-scythe is right shoulder only.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 2, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I wish Professor B had voice acting. His quest has been my favorite so far.

a cat youtube
Jun 25, 2013
whats the best division for beginners/just starting?

Also do longswords get any cool katana looking weapons are is that for dual swords only

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taear posted:

Ending spoilers

This is wrong. That central data core was extremely important still, because it has all the genebank knowledge for human body templates along with all the stored animal and plant specimens. All that was actually lost was the quantum databanks storing and processing all the mimeosome's memories along with the 20-million-odd other stored minds. They can make human bodies, they just need to figure out how to transfer them now.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Taear posted:

Ending spoilers
Post credits "it turns out what we've done was a total waste of time!" is such a weird choice to make.

This makes it sound a little worse than it is. The Lifehold still contains their DNA and the tech to synthesize their bodies, so humans as a lifeform are saved from extinction. By their sentient robot slaves who were essentially duped into it.

I'm wondering whether the mimeosome repair tech alluded to after chapter 5 was recovered.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

xenoblade x has an entire race of tiny aliens voiced by schmorky

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

What's the best way to farm reward tickets for building Ares 90?

I farmed the easy stuff (Advanced Cores, Upgraded Lenses, Seidr Control Devices) but I still need to acquire the other items which I read you pretty much need reward tickets to get.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Mind_Taker posted:

I farmed the easy stuff (Advanced Cores, Upgraded Lenses, Seidr Control Devices) but I still need to acquire the other items which I read you pretty much need reward tickets to get.

If you don't wanna bother with the nemesis, just do squad tasks a bunch. Once you run out of tasks you can do, use the Social tab on your menu to switch to another squad and do theirs. Look for squad missions that give a lot of tickets as rewards as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Mind_Taker posted:

Wait for Telethia Plume to be up, enter the mission, break all its appendages, abort mission, repeat. If it's not available and you want to actually contribute to it appearing again sooner, do squad tasks and squad missions, which also get you tickets, albeit smaller numbers than nemesis farming does. You get more tickets for completing squad missions in a group with other players, but a lot of the time nobody responds when you try to recruit which kinda sucks.

If you want to not die horribly to Telethia Plume, you'll want reflect-negating augments for whichever damage types your skell does. Ether resistance helps too I think.

Edit: Yggralith Zero's appendages give more tickets than Telethia Plume's, but it's harder to survive against if you don't already have a powerful skell. I think you want something with high evasion and high gravity resistance for that one?

Also don't forget to actually turn in the appendages for tickets before the nemesis is defeated/runs away

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 2, 2016

• Locked thread