Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solaerin
Mar 11, 2015

Magres posted:

Re: Mouse Chat

I run a pretty simple 5 button mouse (Logitech MX518, it's great) and have weapon swap on thumb button and dodge roll on the other thumb button.

Ability hotkeys are

code:
Default: 1234567890
Mine:    QERFZXCVTG
I have F1-F5 on 1-5.

I also changed the move keys to be WASD instead of the weird QWES they use. It works pretty well, though im considering switching to ESDF movement based scheme because it would allow me to have more ability keys closer to my default hand position - I have trouble hitting my Elite on G quickly sometimes.

Really, you don't need a big fancy schmancy mouse unless you actively like having that many thumb buttons. A good keyboard binding setup will put 15-20 keys within easy reach of your hand.
If you're in the market for a weird movement scheme that you're going to have to get used to, I use WER for movement (left/forward/right) and I feel like it's perfect. Dodge roll on Q, heal on T, weapon swap on ~. I put utility skills/elite on ASDF and move interact over to G. It's really comfortable and I never have to distort my hand or do funky poo poo to hit skills. If not being able to go backwards is a huge problem just bind shift + E or something like that. As far as my mouse goes I got it for like 10 bucks at a student store, I couldn't tell you what brand it is other than I think they also make poo poo like coat hangers and clear plastic bins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

me reading this thread

ArmTheHomeless
Jan 10, 2003

Thanks for the mouse advice guys, not sure what I'm going to go with yet but that helped.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

UglyCrackBaby posted:

Thanks for the mouse advice guys, not sure what I'm going to go with yet but that helped.

i use a keyboard

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I'm tempted to use my new snes controller for playing... a warrior, maybe? There's probably a way to use left and right bumper as modifier keys.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

are pets still useless

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Nope, after 3 years they decided to make them not die instantly for some reason. They'll live longer than any player.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
They made it so any pets including illusions take 95% less damage when not directly targeted by enemies in pve, which has increased their lifespan drastically in a game full of massive AOE death circles meant to be dodged and can turn into a pretty good steady source of damage.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

i particularly like that you can put a turret/pet/summon down inside the rear end of Old Tom and tank the entire bossfight without moving or lifting a finger

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Kessel posted:

i particularly like that you can put a turret/pet/summon down inside the rear end of Old Tom and tank the entire bossfight without moving or lifting a finger
Even before the change using earth ele to block his shots was the normal way to do him.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Is water spirit not healing pet a bug or a feature?

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

learnincurve posted:

Is water spirit not healing pet a bug or a feature?

Feature and a good one. Nobody cares if a ranger pet croaks.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I care, poor Sammy :(

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

mike12345 posted:

I'm tempted to use my new snes controller for playing... a warrior, maybe? There's probably a way to use left and right bumper as modifier keys.

if you check my post history in this thread for sometime around launch, I posted a full xpadder layout that I was using at the time. xoxohth.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
I have profession skills set to shift 1-5 and weapon skills on 1-5, and I don't know if it's hardware or how GW2 works but hitting shift-whatever really quickly will make it register two inputs, modified and unmodified versions of whatever number.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Just hit the 3 year mark, I will not let you down Cletus

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I'm honestly surprised he hasn't eaten it

sound_again
Jun 19, 2012
Guild Drunk missions are going well.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

CLAM DOWN posted:

Just hit the 3 year mark, I will not let you down Cletus

Fuzzy Butt
Jan 8, 2009

(not a furry)
NEW SFD GUILD JP IS UP! Go check it out! It is both fun and good.

Thanks Mesmer Asura!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mesmer you're my favourite

NapoleonAtWaterloo
Jun 28, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Mesmer you're my favourite

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Goddamn mesmer that loving ruled, I can't believe you make these things, Anet should hire you

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

It's what SAB should've been, really.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Sorry about bailing on the HP train. Between disko stewy screaming, and getting lost in midair, I suddenly recalled why I hadn't set foot in the expansion zones in two months.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm glad pets are slightly less useless because I have no friends and wanted the easiest solo experience :thumbsup:

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

You don't need friends for this game. Rope in the most horrible crew of goons and pubbies you can and let them do all the work while you autoattack one mob every event!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I ended up doing that at the Maw last night. Between the way it likes to punish you for getting in close to the shaman, and the absurd number of people that event draws, I didn't feel too bad about messing around with the AH while my pets and staff went on the auto-offensive.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i feel like if i had the option to freely switch my stats around then ranger would probably be the class for me, with the passive event participation

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall
Ranger also has the elite specialization I least wanted to use but ended up being one of my favorites. I'm just terribly disappointed that druid got NO changes at all with the big loving quarterly patch.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

Ranger also has the elite specialization I least wanted to use but ended up being one of my favorites. I'm just terribly disappointed that druid got NO changes at all with the big loving quarterly patch.

To be fair it didn't really seem to need any changes.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

malhavok posted:

The really inconsistent rate of building astral power between different weapon sets, the fact that you can't activate celestial avatar unless you're full on astral power AND there is a cooldown on activating it AND if you cancel it early you lose like 20% of astral power? Am I really in a minority opinion thinking that it should be changed in some way? Even without mechanic tooling I have a hard time believing that after so many months there isn't a single balance change to the druid or any of traits or the staff skills or celestial avatar or any of the glyphs. Nothing needed an adjustment in how much damage or healing it did? No cooldowns need tweaking?

I just have a hard time believing they aren't either negligent or apathetic (or both).

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
I've been playing Druid and I can't honestly say there is anything that I feel like needed changed. How Celestial Avatar works is fine. Its balanced around needing full power to activate it and balanced around you staying in the mode long enough to make use of it otherwise you lose a lot of power by canceling it early. Its a very powerful ability. I'd like it if all weapon types built it at the same speed, but really, if I'm in a position where I need to be getting to CA faster, I'd probably be using staff anyway.

Otherwise, number tweaking for the sake of number tweaking isn't exactly a good idea. If they think Druid is balanced, what point would there be to upping or lowering damage/healing/cooldown numbers? Just to make you feel better that they aren't negligent or apathetic? I really don't hear too many people complaining about Druid being over or underpowered (outside of the usual lot that claims every class is over/underpowered).

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009
They really should just make the glyphs usable underwater since they're all point-blank aoes (the recently changed Guard should also be made usable underwater since it's no longer ground targeted), but who cares about underwater combat enough to complain?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Toraen posted:

They really should just make the glyphs usable underwater since they're all point-blank aoes (the recently changed Guard should also be made usable underwater since it's no longer ground targeted), but who cares about underwater combat enough to complain?

Herald also can't use any of it's skills underwater. Like dungeons, they've abandoned underwater combat completely.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

malhavok posted:

Honestly, whether it needed changes balance-wise or not it probably should have gotten them. Balance is maybe the one part of the game where they probably should fix what isn't broke. At least from someone who mostly plays PvP, regular balance patches just to shake things up and make it so it's not literally the same thing for a year is a good idea.

I mean, I don't really trust them to do it well but not changing anything risks the game starting to get a little boring and smacks a little of laziness to me.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 1, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MooCowlian posted:

Honestly, whether it needed changes balance-wise or not it probably should have gotten them. Balance is maybe the one part of the game where they probably should fix what isn't broke. At least from someone who mostly plays PvP, regular balance patches just to shake things up and make it so it's not literally the same thing for a year is a good idea.

sPvP has basically been the same thing (conquest game mode) for 3.5 years tbf

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
Ranger as a class still got changes. Ranger changes still can effect Druid. Plus, they did remove Cele Amulet and Durability runes, both of which Druids often used in pvp.

Just because they didn't needlessly change any Druid stuff directly doesn't mean things didn't change for them overall.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

They could definitely do with adding new maps and gamemodes, although their efforts so far have sucked infinite amounts of balls, but they haven't actually promised. We were expecting a balance patch to change things between seasons and they've gone and not changed things.

Saying PvP didn't change between d/d cele ele, the bunker mesmer/power rev meta and the current abundance of necros is literally bullshit. You may as well say that dungeons are all the same because they're 5 man PvE instances where you wade through trash and then kill a boss.

edit: Totbot posted after I started writing this. The amulet changes and stuff affected everyone else too. The fact remains that the ranger changes are half-arsed in comparison to the other classes and doesn't bode well for the future.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013

MooCowlian posted:

edit: Totbot posted after I started writing this. The amulet changes and stuff affected everyone else too. The fact remains that the ranger changes are half-arsed in comparison to the other classes and doesn't bode well for the future.

I don't really agree. The shout changes may not be meta-changing, but they actually took effort. They completely re-designed how some of the shouts functioned. Thief and Rev changes may actually be meta-changing, but they were very low effort. Increase and decrease some numbers. Yeah, super exciting there. If anything, those changes were the half-arsed ones.

Simply put, Druid did not need any changes. 1 spec that doesn't need change not getting change out of all of them isn't going to suddenly make the game go stale.

• Locked thread