Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
People should remember not to equate skinheads and fascists there are huge amounts of anti-racist skinheads and cool antiracist skinhead bands like Cock Sparrer.

Edit: August 1979 The RA blow up Lord Monbatten

StoneOfShame fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

These Marxist Jews need to step their game up because last I checked I'm still getting ball-bagged in the face by capitalism.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Fans posted:

No loving chance. At very worst they'll lose a few seats and still be the minority government. Or if they pick up any seats at all they become a majority government and everyone has to write articles about how taking control of Wales Parliament proves Corbyn is unelectable.

I guess 'lose' here means not doing as well as they did last time. But there's no way they won't still be the largest party in Wales.

Okay, this is what I thought. From everything I've seen the absolute worst expected result is losing one seat.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Baron Corbyn posted:

Have I missed something or does this guy have absolutely no idea what he's talking about with regards to Wales? There's no way Labour are going to lose there, surely?
Labour's projected to lose its working majority, with its share of the vote falling from 42% in 2011 to something in the mid-30s. If the polls are right, it'll still be the largest party but will have to form a minority or coalition government.

e: Labour's actually projected to lose three seats, and UKIP are set to gain 9: http://www.itv.com/news/wales/2015-12-08/polls-shows-slip-in-labour-support/

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 1, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Baron Corbyn posted:

Okay, this is what I thought. From everything I've seen the absolute worst expected result is losing one seat.
This is bad for Corbyn...

Tesseraction posted:

These Marxist Jews need to step their game up because last I checked I'm still getting ball-bagged in the face by capitalism.
Yeah, I've never understood how people can think that Marxists control the world in some kind of conspiracy while the influence of any kind of Marxist economic policy seems to have been going downhill.

The closest that I've seen to an explanation is that it's all about 'Cultural Marxism' now, which is about turning us all into gay feminist Muslims or something, because ???

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

^^ And house husbands, can't forget that one.

Serotonin posted:

Actually most of these groups are all about hating Jews. They believe in the White Genocide conspiracy theory and that non white immigration is engineered by Jewish Marxists who control the world. Most of them hate the EDL as they claim they are Zionist plants blaming Muslins in order to distract the public from the Jew Puppet Masters.

No really.

Heh, so they're basically batshit insane. It's easy to miss for the casual observer though, since they never shut up about Muslims.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
You might think it's unnecessary to apply the level of vigour we have to these days to bash the fash, seeing as how they're more than happy to bash themselves, but you would be wrong.

Never stop. The day the fash doesn't get their teeth kicked in by decent people is the day we've lost.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, I've never understood how people can think that Marxists control the world in some kind of conspiracy while the influence of any kind of Marxist economic policy seems to have been going downhill.

The closest that I've seen to an explanation is that it's all about 'Cultural Marxism' now, which is about turning us all into gay feminist Muslims or something, because ???

The funniest thing about 'Cultural Marxism' is they always use it to mean 'basic sociology' or 'critical theory 101' - it's like finding a group of people mortally terrified of reading non-fiction.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Just made an appointment to see a GP and i'm waiting until thursday next week lol. Its not urgent so a wait isn't the issue but nearly 2 weeks to see a GP is really bad

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Jose posted:

Just made an appointment to see a GP and i'm waiting until thursday next week lol. Its not urgent so a wait isn't the issue but nearly 2 weeks to see a GP is really bad

I think what happens is they save a certain amount of appointments for urgent appointments, then have the rest as non urgent. That's how it seems to work here.

Edit: And yeah, to get the straight away appointments you have to call before 9am.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jose posted:

When I tried to make an appointment a couple of weeks ago I was told 3 weeks. Called back the next morning before 9am & they got me an appointment for 3 days time. It seems as mysterious a system as the one for booking cheap train tickets.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I think what happens is they save a certain amount of appointments for urgent appointments, then have the rest as non urgent. That's how it seems to work here.

Edit: And yeah, to get the straight away appointments you have to call before 9am.
This, but in my experience you have to call between 8am and 8.05am, timing it so you don't get an engaged tone.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
If you tell them you need an urgent appointment they get you one that day.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Coohoolin posted:

If you tell them you need an urgent appointment they get you one that day.

Which would be a lovely thing to do if the problem is not in fact urgent, since you're taking up a slot someone with an actual urgent problem needs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

LemonDrizzle posted:

I have never heard of any requirement for marriage ceremonies to be open to the public, and I do not think that any wedding I have ever attended has been.

My nan has an old almanac kind of thing from the 1950's that does state marriages must be open to the public.

It may be a part of the law that isn't enforced or was repealed.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

feedmegin posted:

Which would be a lovely thing to do if the problem is not in fact urgent, since you're taking up a slot someone with an actual urgent problem needs.

Obviously, if it's not urgent what's the problem with waiting a week or two?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Although aren't a whole bunch of people claiming their poo poo is 'urgent' and it turns out they just have a cold and are being a massive baby about it?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Coohoolin posted:

Obviously, if it's not urgent what's the problem with waiting a week or two?

his mrs won't go down on him until the infection clears up

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Baron Corbyn posted:

People have suggested UKIP will pick up eight seats from the other parties, but Labour in particular. The issue I have with that is every election of late UKIP is pitched to gain a load of seats and ruin Labour in particular, but it never actually happens.

Fans fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 1, 2016

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

feedmegin posted:

It's just to clarify that Jose waiting two weeks for an appointment might seem really bad, but it's because of the way urgent and non urgent appointments are treated and if they had called up needing an urgent appointment it would probably have been a lot sooner. Saying that I don't know, different areas and all that.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

JFairfax posted:

his mrs won't go down on him until the infection clears up

You can go to GUM clinics for that, they should have drop in hours multiple times a week and you can phone up to get an appointment as well. If you have symptoms and write it down on the form they'll see you that day if you walk in.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

if it becomes urgent there's always A&E / dying prematurely

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Tesseraction posted:

Although aren't a whole bunch of people claiming their poo poo is 'urgent' and it turns out they just have a cold and are being a massive baby about it?

Regardless of whether there are or aren't, I hope you realise this point is directly analogous to the benefit scroungers rhetoric?

Making a stink about undeserving people using up urgent gp appointments just ends up hurting people with low self esteem and those who, for whatever reason, are more likely to say "it's probably nothing and I don't want to be a bother, and doctors don't work weekends anyway". You know how that story ends.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Coohoolin posted:

You can go to GUM clinics for that, they should have drop in hours multiple times a week and you can phone up to get an appointment as well. If you have symptoms and write it down on the form they'll see you that day if you walk in.

there you go Jose, problem sorted

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...

Renaissance Robot posted:

Regardless of whether there are or aren't, I hope you realise this point is directly analogous to the benefit scroungers rhetoric?

And your attitude here is a direct contributor to the increasing problem of antibiotic resistance.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

kapparomeo posted:

And your attitude here is a direct contributor to the increasing problem of antibiotic resistance.

Surely the GP who prescribes the antibiotics should bear the responsibility, not the patient?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

kapparomeo posted:

I don't think seeing a GP on short notice contributes to bacterial antibiotic resistance.

Unless the thing you're trying to make them more resistant to is surprise attacks by stethoscopes and blood pressure cuffs.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
^That and...

kapparomeo posted:

A far bigger contributor is the mass, indiscriminate use of antibiotics in factory livestock farming necessitated by the horrendous living conditions of animals. I don't hear you complaining about that you nasty little poo poo.

quote:

Both in the United States and worldwide, agriculture uses vastly more antibiotics than human medicine, and agriculture uses drugs from every major class of antibiotics used in human medicine. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reported in 2011 that 80 percent of antibiotics in the United States are sold for agricultural purposes.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Making a stink about undeserving people using up urgent gp appointments just ends up hurting people with low self esteem and those who, for whatever reason, are more likely to say "it's probably nothing and I don't want to be a bother, and doctors don't work weekends anyway". You know how that story ends.

the other option is to charge a co-pay on access to rationed care. self-policing is not really that hard.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Party Boat posted:

Surely the GP who prescribes the antibiotics should bear the responsibility, not the patient?

a very large problem is the many people who have been trained to need pills/injections/whathaveyou from a doctor's visit and will raise hell if they don't get it

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Oberleutnant posted:

^That and...

A far bigger contributor is the mass, indiscriminate use of antibiotics in factory livestock farming necessitated by the horrendous living conditions of animals. I don't hear you complaining about that you nasty little poo poo.

eat organic

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Oberleutnant posted:

^That and...

You forgot to point out he's an empire-fetishizing slavery apologist! :cmon: you're slipping.

Also seems like all this GP waiting could be avoided if we... nah, that's nuts.

I was going to say if we funded the NHS better and were able to hire more people for it and make sure infrastructure keeps up with demand, but I realized that's the same kind of madness that makes Corbyn unelectable.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Malcolm XML posted:

a very large problem is the many people who have been trained to need pills/injections/whathaveyou from a doctor's visit and will raise hell if they don't get it

That's what dummy pills are for.

E: Or NHS brand homeopathic remedies with a prescription charge.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

You forgot to point out he's an empire-fetishizing slavery apologist! :cmon: you're slipping.
I'm a type of Liberal.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Malcolm XML posted:

Then GPs and the wider NHS should solve that problem with better education instead of treating antibiotics as go-away pills.

That or roll out the widespread use of placebos.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Oberleutnant posted:

I'm a type of Liberal.

what type?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

JFairfax posted:

what type?

I wanna say 7th or 9th

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
i have not heard of these types of liberalism.

do you believe in free market economics?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

forkboy84 posted:

When I tried to make an appointment a couple of weeks ago I was told 3 weeks. Called back the next morning before 9am & they got me an appointment for 3 days time. It seems as mysterious a system as the one for booking cheap train tickets.

At mine if it's more than two weeks they won't book it and ask you to call back tomorrow. It's loving awful, I'm sure I'm going to die from something preventable because it's so much hassle getting to the doctor that by the time it is urgent it'll be too late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Fans posted:

People have suggested UKIP will pick up eight seats from the other parties, but Labour in particular. The issue I have with that is every election of late UKIP is pitched to gain a load of seats and ruin Labour in particular, but it never actually happens.

Welsh Assembly is 2/3rds FPTP but 1/3 is a region proportional representation, which is considerably friendlier to UKIP.

• Locked thread