Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Fangz posted:

Sooorta in between. Consider this picture, which resulted from when a piece of aluminium is struck by a high velocity aluminium ball (depicted). The impact was slow enough that there's no *visible* spalling flying out the other side. But it's clear that *something* has happened.

It's complex, obviously. Gonna quote Carey Sublette from sci.military.moderated a bunch of years ago:

quote:

For your edification - here is a (reasonaby) precise explanation of why
the spalling effect occurs.

A characteristic of shock waves produced by high explosive detonation is
that the pressure behind the shock front is not constant but drops off
very quickly (after all, the high pressure gases of the explosion expand
rapidly, causing the pressure to quickly drop back to atmospheric). This
zone where the pressure drops to (effectively) zero is called the "Taylor
wave" (see pressure diagram below):

pre:
          Taylor Wave
                       *     * -> Shock front motion
Another characteristic of strong shocks travelling through solids is that
roughly equal amounts of energy are deposited in a given (small) volume of
material in the form of kinetic energy, and in compression. This means
that as the shock front passes by, the material is accelerated forward to
some velocity V, and compressed at the same time. When it eventually
decompresses the energy released will add another velocity increment of
magnitude equal to V to the material.

When the shock front reaches the opposite side of the plate the pressure
suddenly drops to zero. The metal decompresses, and the compression energy
causes "velocity doubling", with the plate surface now travelling at 2V.

But, if the plate thickness is equal to the thickness of the Taylor wave
(several millimeters typically), then the outer surface of the plate has
already decompressed, but expanding in the opposite direction. Instead of
adding an increment of V, it subtracts V, bringing the plate velocity to
zero.

The zero pressure zones then travel into the plate from opposite sides,
one zone with a plate velocity of 2V, one with a velocity of zero. When
they meet, the tensile stress produced can exceed the strength of any
known material. The result - the 2V zone peels off and flys away (the
velocity of the spalling material can reach ~2 km/sec).

Any imperfections in the armor, and the method of fabrication will of
course affect the tensile fracture strength of the plate, but they are not
the cause of spalling. It will occur in any material with a plate of the
right thickness and a sufficiently strong high explosive shock.

Note that while this phenomenon is suppressed in very thin plates and very
thick plates, with sufficiently thin plates the detonation pressure alone
will shear the plate off and propell it inward, and sufficiently thick
ones cannot be used in practical tank armor.

PittTheElder posted:

Link? That 10,000,000 number sounds extremely dubious, if only because I cannot believe that a shaped penetrator is moving at orbital velocities.

What's dubious about it? APBC out of that gun is 46.5 kg at 600 mps, that's 8.37 megajoules. 10 megajoules as a rough figure isn't that bad.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

The current state of French artillery doesn't sound like the most enticing of topics, but it contains one of the biggest ironies of a fabulously ironic war. They've made an unquestionably sensible strategic decision to increase flexibility in artillery support everywhere on the Western Front; part of this has included taking guns away from fortress emplacements (where they can only shoot at one place) and putting them into mobile groups, from where they can be used much more widely. But of course, with just twelve days to go until the start of a major German attack on their biggest fortress complex...how on earth is anyone meant to win this war when even good, sensible strategic decisions can rebound so appallingly on them?

Meanwhile: General Haig fends off Joffre's attempts to get him to launch preliminary major offensives before the Big Push; L19 crashes into the North Sea; Bernard Adams marches back into within earshot of the guns for the first time in months; and some of E.S. Thompson's mates catch an antelope in order to promote it to regimental pet.

JcDent posted:

Wait, so what aspects of lovely leadership got the Newfoundlanders killed, aside from "lets fight in WWI?"

Hunter-Weston was the guy on Gallipoli who loved creating elaborate plans of attack based on perfect timing and coordination between dozens of different battalions who were all supposed to be doing different but complementary things at exactly the same time. He was also downright enthusiastic about the possibility of taking heavy casualties.

Encounter with a random doctor:

quote:

General Hunter-Weston entered in a few minutes, and sitting opposite me said, ‘What an extraordinary thing war is!’ The progress of the day had greatly satisfied him, I could see, and he was in great glee. ‘Yes!’ I said. ‘But I wish to goodness it was all over!’ ‘My dear sir,’ he replied, ‘we’ll have years of it yet!’ I asked if he thought there was any possibility of its ending this year. ‘Absolutely none!’

In conversation with a subordinate, General Paris of the RND, soon after the landings:

quote:

"Many casualties?"
"Casualties? What do I care for casualties?

Letter to his successor on Gallipoli:

quote:

“I pray to God that the new leaders of these new formations may know how to get hold of their men and lead them, and yet on occasion drive them unceasingly without any regard to losses or fatigue, without any regard to the yelping of subordinate commanders for reinforcements or to their cry that their men are dead with fatigue. In the enterprise in which you are engaged push unrelenting, push without ceasing, push without mercy by a commander in whom the men have confidence is all important.”

Officer's diary:

quote:

"The 29th Div is down to small numbers now … These continual frontal attacks are terrible, and I fear the Generals will be called butchers by the troops. Hunter-Weston already has that name with the 29th."

And Anthony Seldon describes Hunter-Weston's plan for the attack on Beaumont Hamel which slaughtered so many (the Newfoundlanders didn't join 29th Division until after H-W had left):

quote:

"The planned attack allowed for twenty minutes to capture four lines of trenches, twenty minutes to consolidate and re-group, twenty minutes to take the village itself and a final ten minutes to capture the orchards and wood on the far edge of the village. 94th Brigade was tasked to take main responsibility for village itself. Brigadier-General Hubert Rees had only been appointed to command the brigade two weeks before the battle, and thus had little time to know the ground or his men, but he did know what could and could not be done. He argued fiercely, one of the few officers of any rank prepared to do so, with his corps commander that such a timetable was utterly impractical. Furthermore, as the northernmost brigade was next to the sector between Serre and Gommecourt that was not being attacked, the assault forces were even more than usually vulnerable to be fired at from their left, northern side, by German forces under no sort of bombardment or attack. Rees’s misfortune was that his corps commander, Hunter-Weston, known throughout the army officer corps as ‘Hunter-Bunter’, fits in every detail the common perception of the ignorant, stupid and stubborn general of the First World War; even his tall, upright stance and enormous moustache, fitted the picture."

"Hunter-Weston reluctantly allowed a compromise, an extra ten minutes, for the capture of the orchard at the extreme end of the brigade’s s objectives. Thus, in eighty minutes, by ten minutes to nine on the morning of the first day, Rees and his men were to overrun four lines of trenches, capture a fortified village 800 metres deep, and capture a wood and some orchards 300 metres beyond. No thought appears to have been given to the German menace from the left."

The man was a complete oaf. And that's without mentioning the infamous incident in which he had Territorials attack during the Battle of Gully Ravine with almost no artillery support and then justified it as "blooding the pups".

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

feedmegin posted:

Well - sort of. They learned quite a bit in the Spanish Civil War, both through sending the Condor Legion (a volunteer force recruited from the Luftwaffe) over there to fight and having observers on the ground.

(Not that participation in that necessarily helped prepare for World War 2 - the Italians sent a bunch of actual ground troops to Spain and still got creamed).

I wasn't talking about the experience so much as the fact that they didn't have to do it under wartime pressures. Even in the US the war put pressures on both the military and the economy that you wouldn't see during peacetime (mostly seen in the form of insane amounts of waste) and that was the best of all possible cases.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
That's 5 minutes per trenchline :psyduck: how do you even....can you even physically get through four lines of trench in twenty minutes? Does this man understand the concept of enemy resistance?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Are you trying to suggest that there will be anything left alive to resist after our artillery's glorious barrage, sir? :monocle: We don't need that kind of defeatism in this army, bigads!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Started my mythical quest in attemping in selling my old Nan's seventies BBC TV British Empire magazines.

Day 1 so far, my local used books and main history book nerd of the region declined due to pretty much not taking anything now :smith:.

I really don't want to toss these things out.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Let me guess, Hunter-Bunter retired to a pleasant country life and died easily in his sleep?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

Started my mythical quest in attemping in selling my old Nan's seventies BBC TV British Empire magazines.

Day 1 so far, my local used books and main history book nerd of the region declined due to pretty much not taking anything now :smith:.

I really don't want to toss these things out.

Try ebay.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I had a peek earlier this week, deflated slightly seeing they sold brand new reprints (some company must have got the licence I guess) for live five pounds a magazine.

I mean, these are all first printed to subscriber runs from the early seventies. But they are slightly aged and not all of them are there. I mean, If I could I'd give them away for nothing as long as I knew they weren't pulped/tossed into a fire the moment my back is turned.

Sentimental value arrrrgh.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

I had a peek earlier this week, deflated slightly seeing they sold brand new reprints (some company must have got the licence I guess) for live five pounds a magazine.

I mean, these are all first printed to subscriber runs from the early seventies. But they are slightly aged and not all of them are there. I mean, If I could I'd give them away for nothing as long as I knew they weren't pulped/tossed into a fire the moment my back is turned.

Sentimental value arrrrgh.

Well, if you're trying to make money I don't know what to say. If you just want to unload them to people who want them put them on ebay dirt cheap or maybe just make a thread on the forums offering batches of them free to a good home? Maybe a post in the sales forum so you can ask for shipping costs?

edit: the reality is that most people don't really give a poo poo about old magazines unless they are obviously collectable due to a war or something. Even then you can get them pretty cheap.

edit x2: how many magazines are we talking about and are there any cool illustrations, advertisements, or images that could otherwise be pillaged? I might, MIGHT know someone who does graphic design that would be into them if that's the case, but not if we're talking about hundreds of pounds of paper.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 1, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Might do that if e-Bay or the collectors I am contacting doesn't work out. I'm not asking for much really money wise. I need to make some room up now and since I have them all scanned I really have no need for them taking up a corner.

There is around eighty issues, some decent looking graphs, cartoons, old propaganda and photographs in them but this is BBC Enthusiast affair at the most so nothing too super special.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

He became an MP after the war (military contemporaries also note how he loved the sound of his own voice), and indeed did have a country seat to retire to. He did manage to have a great death that could easily have been on Horrible Histories, though.

See that strange square tower-y thing on the right? Hunter-Weston was obsessed with keeping fit and he liked to do calisthenics up there. The story goes that one morning in 1940, when he was 75, he went up there and opened the windows before starting his daily exercises, in the course of which he somehow managed to fall out of the window. It's not beyond the realm of possiblity that he might have jumped, although he left no note and I kind of like the idea that he was so incompetent he couldn't even exercise properly.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Thank god for the invention of windows.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

Might do that if e-Bay or the collectors I am contacting doesn't work out. I'm not asking for much really money wise. I need to make some room up now and since I have them all scanned I really have no need for them taking up a corner.

There is around eighty issues, some decent looking graphs, cartoons, old propaganda and photographs in them but this is BBC Enthusiast affair at the most so nothing too super special.

If things don't pan out PM me.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

If things don't pan out PM me.

Sadly I don't have the upgrades for PMing people, but I'll let you know via the thread if things fall through. Happy for the assistance in advance.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Trin Tragula posted:

The man was a complete oaf.

Mother of God, that's putting it politely.

Trin Tragula posted:

See that strange square tower-y thing on the right? Hunter-Weston was obsessed with keeping fit and he liked to do calisthenics up there. The story goes that one morning in 1940, when he was 75, he went up there and opened the windows before starting his daily exercises, in the course of which he somehow managed to fall out of the window. It's not beyond the realm of possiblity that he might have jumped, although he left no note and I kind of like the idea that he was so incompetent he couldn't even exercise properly.

In my personal cannon that's exactly what happened.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
and windows claim another poor soul

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

In my personal cannon that's exactly what happened.

You shot him out of a gun? He might have been an oaf but going all Indian Mutiny on him seems a bit harsh :shobon:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Now I'm imagining Hunter-Weston as the narrator of Iain Banks's excellent A Song of Stone. Suddenly the story has become entirely satisfying and meaningful!

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/152_mm_howitzer-gun_M1937_(ML-20)

Weight of HE shell: 48.8kg

Muzzle velocity of HE shell: 600m/s

KE = 1/2 * Mass * Velocity, correct?

X = 0.5 * 48.8kg * 600m/s2

X = 0.5 * 48.8 * 360000

X = 24.4 * 360000

X = 8,784,000 joules

Unless I got my math wrong?

Edit: Keep in mind this is the energy as it leaves the barrel, not on impact

Looks right (Well, you wrote the equation wrong but did the math right -- it's K=1/2*M*V^2, you left the square off the formula but included it in the calculation, and got the right answer). I found a nifty little plug-in-the-numbers calculator; the latest version of the Rheinmetall 120mm's long-rod penetrator is somewhat over 15 million J, an AP shell from a 16"/50 of, say, Iowa's main battery has 355.6 million joules of muzzle energy.

(The ship itself, btw, at flank speed and assuming the displacement on wikipedia is in short tons, has just about 6.6 BILLION J of kinetic energy. No wonder the panic stops wore out the rudder pins. :eek: )

(edit again: a standard tractor-trailer rig, at maximum legal weight in the US -- 80,000 pounds -- at 65mph, has very nearly exactly the same KE as the depleted-uranium round out of the Rheinmetall 120mm -- 15.3MJ and change. Neat!)

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 1, 2016

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Jamwad Hilder posted:

It's probably something you picked up in general reading, assuming you've done a fair amount of research on the subject yourself already. I know that the Normans required 40 days of knight-service, and any days beyond that the lord would have the pay for their service. In addition to the 40 days of armed service, knights would also be required to spend a certain amount of time at their direct lord's castle, and depending on the barony you're talking about, royal castles may have been garrisoned by knights as well.

Another obligation of knight-service, which isn't directly related to the fighting days you're referring to, is that knights were basically obligated to pay a fee to maintain their status as knights as well. Being a knight meant taking on certain obligations, like the ones I outlined above. You have instances throughout the middle ages when a man-at-arms proves himself in battle but finds a way to (politely) decline being knighted. Some people think it's so they could avoid all those extra obligations.

More than anything else, the idea of Knights having to remember to pay their Knight licensure fees every year is doing the most work in dispelling the mystique of knighthood for me.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Eej posted:

More than anything else, the idea of Knights having to remember to pay their Knight licensure fees every year is doing the most work in dispelling the mystique of knighthood for me.

It's not all that different from paying dues to be in any other club/trade guild/labor union, is it?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

feedmegin posted:

You shot him out of a gun? He might have been an oaf but going all Indian Mutiny on him seems a bit harsh :shobon:

My personal cannon is not to be trifled with :black101:

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

My personal cannon

:v:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
What happened to civilians who were stuck in enemy countries when WWI and WWII broke out? I just finished rereading Life After Life where in one of her lives Ursula gets stuck in Germany for WWII, and even though the reasons she couldn't leave were basically specific to the plot (jerk husband hiding passports, daughter getting sick at just the wrong time, etc.) it made me wonder how would somebody have gotten out? I'm wondering about WWI in particular, since the actual declaration of war must have seemed pretty summon to a public that had spent most of the summer reading about Madame Caillaux or whatever (It's a good thing the Ottoman Empire didn't enter the war immediately, or like half the cast of The Last Express would have had a very hard time getting home again).

Oh my gosh this thing is kind of adorable???

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Nebakenezzer posted:

My personal cannon is not to be trifled with :black101:

I prefer a personnel cannon.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Empress Theonora posted:

What happened to civilians who were stuck in enemy countries when WWI and WWII broke out? I just finished rereading Life After Life where in one of her lives Ursula gets stuck in Germany for WWII, and even though the reasons she couldn't leave were basically specific to the plot (jerk husband hiding passports, daughter getting sick at just the wrong time, etc.) it made me wonder how would somebody have gotten out? I'm wondering about WWI in particular, since the actual declaration of war must have seemed pretty summon to a public that had spent most of the summer reading about Madame Caillaux or whatever (It's a good thing the Ottoman Empire didn't enter the war immediately, or like half the cast of The Last Express would have had a very hard time getting home again).

They got interned, generally. I don't know for absolute sure but I would expect border controls and international travel would get increasingly hairy in the immediate run-up to war, plus if you're in a hotel or something the hotel manager knows you're there and your nationality so he'd call up the police. That and people are reluctant to believe the worst is going to happen right now until it does.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Empress Theonora posted:

What happened to civilians who were stuck in enemy countries when WWI and WWII broke out?

It depends a lot on the country. England, for example, interned "enemy aliens" (as they were termed) on the Isle of Man in both wars. It wasn't as free as being a free civilian, but it also wasn't quite as strict as being in a camp. There were some options during WW2 for them to enlist in the British military, although those were restrictive and I forget the details. In the US they were put in camps, similar to what was done with Japanese-American citizens. Germans in particular got rounded up in this, and more than a few naturalized citizens got caught up in it.

I forget what the Germans did, but the Japanese set up internment camps for civilians in areas they conquered - British and Dutch in Indonesia, for example. They were a lot better than the POW camps they set up, but were still pretty lovely.

edit: some quick googling shows that the Germans interned British civilians in a special camp outside Berlin in WW1. I wouldn't be surprised if something similar was arranged in WW2.

edit x2: also a lot of it depended on what kind of resources you had at your disposal. A lot of people got the gently caress over the border to the nearest neutral country ASAP if they could. If you were a person of serious means or who at least had good contacts you could frequently arrange passage to a neutral country even if you got stuck for a while.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 1, 2016

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

feedmegin posted:

That and people are reluctant to believe the worst is going to happen right now until it does.

Woo, no kidding. See also "Jews - Germany - late 1930s".

"What, just leave? Give up my business? My friends and neighbors? It couldn't possibly get that bad!"

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

hogmartin posted:

"What, just leave? Give up my business? My friends and neighbors? It couldn't possibly get that bad!"
"The people who invented Bach can't possibly kill members of an outgroup!"

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

hogmartin posted:

This is way, way over simplifying things. There were major barriers to emigration, not the least of which was the refusal of other countries to accept Jewish refugees. It also wasn't just "giving up the business" - emigres were required to forfeit virtually all of their belongings to the state. This hosed them over doubly: first off it is really goddamned hard to get established in a new country when you are penniless. Second a lot of the immigration regulations that were loving Jews already had extra-double gently caress you clauses if you were poor.

edit: also let's not forget the fact that you have an extended family that you care about. Not everyone is a detached 20-something who can up and leave whenever. Maybe you can get out to Britain or whatever but are you going to abandon mom, dad, grandma, and grandpa to the brownshirts?

edit: seriously, what the gently caress? There were tons of Jews trying to get the gently caress out of Germany in the 30s. A lot of them also got caught up in 1940. In 1938 France seemed like a pretty nice place to try to get to, which bit a lot of people in the rear end later.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 1, 2016

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is way, way over simplifying things. There were major barriers to emigration, not the least of which was the refusal of other countries to accept Jewish refugees. It also wasn't just "giving up the business" - emigres were required to forfeit virtually all of their belongings to the state. This hosed them over doubly: first off it is really goddamned hard to get established in a new country when you are penniless. Second a lot of the immigration regulations that were loving Jews already had extra-double gently caress you clauses if you were poor.

I was intentionally over-simplifying how difficult emigration was, but there are tons of accounts from people who managed to do it and begged their families to come along. Lots of them didn't even try because how can we leave our home?

e: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_St._Louis

e2: A few times a year my Sunday school class would invite a survivor or successful refugee to come talk with us. I understand this is anecdotal and unscientific and I don't have statistics or anything, but almost universally they expressed insufferable guilt that they couldn't convince the family to come with them (setting aside whether they could have successfully done so) or that people hung on because they figured they'd just ride it out.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 1, 2016

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

hogmartin posted:

I was intentionally over-simplifying how difficult emigration was, but there are tons of accounts from people who managed to do it and begged their families to come along. Lots of them didn't even try because how can we leave our home?

e: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_St._Louis

Not wanting to leave your home isn't exactly something to be critical of. German Jews in the 30s were probably the most culturally assimilated in Europe. No one wants to become a refugee. gently caress, just look at how much success the "send all the black people to Liberia" movement had in the US.

It should also be noted that the Holocaust was pretty loving unprecedented in a non-Colonial, peace time context. You could argue that the parts where everyone died tick off both of those boxes anyways: the war pushed the implementation of the Final Solution and the Jews were deported to what the Germans considered colonial possessions before they were exterminated. Also, ugly anti-Semetic outbursts were common all over Europe in the 19th/early 20th centuries. Everyone involved saw it as a pretty situation, but one that would blow over like all the others did.

Not expecting a genocide in 1938 wasn't short sighted, it was a pretty reasonable judgement based on all available evidence. Not being clairvoyant enough to predict that lovely discrimination and repression would, under the pressures of the largest conflict man has ever inflicted upon himself, lead to almost unprecedented wholesale slaughter isn't exactly something to be critical of.

edit: I suppose what I'm objecting to the most is the victim-blaming implicit in putting Jewish reluctance to believe that bad things were going to happen as a cause of all those deaths.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

edit: I suppose what I'm objecting to the most is the victim-blaming implicit in putting Jewish reluctance to believe that bad things were going to happen as a cause of all those deaths.

Please understand that I'm not victim-blaming, I was agreeing with the statement a few posts up that people don't expect it to get that bad until it does. They didn't. It got that bad.

e: one of the old guys who my parents would pick up on the way to services on Friday ended up "escaping" to the Polish resistance who, big shocker, would not have been happy to find out he was Jewish. Believe me, I understand how difficult emigrating would have been.

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Morning-Joseph-Stevens/dp/0970981112

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 1, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Empress Theonora posted:

What happened to civilians who were stuck in enemy countries when WWI and WWII broke out? I just finished rereading Life After Life where in one of her lives Ursula gets stuck in Germany for WWII, and even though the reasons she couldn't leave were basically specific to the plot (jerk husband hiding passports, daughter getting sick at just the wrong time, etc.) it made me wonder how would somebody have gotten out? I'm wondering about WWI in particular, since the actual declaration of war must have seemed pretty summon to a public that had spent most of the summer reading about Madame Caillaux or whatever (It's a good thing the Ottoman Empire didn't enter the war immediately, or like half the cast of The Last Express would have had a very hard time getting home again)

Coincidentally, I was researching Carl Tanzler (AKA Count Carl von Cosel) and he was caught in Australia when World War I began. As a German, he was rounded up and put in a concentration camp before being moved to a castle-like coastal prison. He was apparently already going by Count Carl von Cosel at the time, as another prisoner's account of his stay at the fortress recounted how the "count" was part of his plan to escape in a boat. Makes sense, as the only reason Tanzler was in Australia was because he had an obsession with flying machines and boats and island hopped his way over before deciding to stay a while.

After the war ended, the formerly enemy citizens weren't permitted to return to their homes. Instead, they were all shipped to a prisoner exchange in Holland. Tanzler returned to Germany to live with his mother, but after 3 years he moved to Florida like his sister did before him.

....and then he got obsessed with a young girl down in Key West, stole her body from her tomb, and rebuilt her decomposing corpse for 7 years until it looked like a giant wax doll before her sister finally caught on.

It's an interesting story.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

awwwwwww

What is that? Dog-hauled Cannon? Concealed-carry cannon? :3:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

chitoryu12 posted:

....and then he got obsessed with a young girl down in Key West, stole her body from her tomb, and rebuilt her decomposing corpse for 7 years until it looked like a giant wax doll before her sister finally caught on.

It's an interesting story.

Sounds like an excitable boy.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

awwwwwww

What is that? Dog-hauled Cannon? Concealed-carry cannon? :3:

I'd have guessed a battalion gun as was popular in the 18th century - integral firepower for infantry units, basically - though those uniforms look more Civil War or something

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013

Nebakenezzer posted:

Dog-hauled Cannon?

Nonono! That's not for another 50 years!

Edit: I think they're 19th century Americans, but I think it's more likely from the Indian Wars than the Civil War, since a small mobile cannon would be more useful when fighting/massacring Indians.

Come to think of it, why do we focus so much on the US Civil War Thread and not the other American conflicts if we're doing 19th century and earlier? I'd love to hear about 1812, Mexican War or the Barbary Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I've done Mexican-American war recruitment :psyduck: chat once or twice.

• Locked thread