Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Technically useful!

Anakin building 3PO makes almost no sense on a practical level. He and his mom were slaves - what the hell do they need a butler robot for?

On a symbolic level, it makes a ton of sense - Anakin resents being someone else's property, and addresses it by creating a shiny slave for himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tezzor posted:

Discussion question: How can we justify this as George Lucas being an ascended Buddha whose every motion is pregnant with meaning and not a mindless toy-hocking businessman surrounded by yes-men who felt it was necessary to break into the huge Robot Chicken/Family Guy Star Wars market

Why would you want to discuss that :confused:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tezzor posted:

Discussion question: How can we justify this as George Lucas being an ascended Buddha whose every motion is pregnant with meaning and not a mindless toy-hocking businessman surrounded by yes-men who felt it was necessary to break into the huge Robot Chicken/Family Guy Star Wars market

It is simple: brow height, joke quality, and applicability of metaphor are not correlated except by accident.

Red posted:

Anakin building 3PO makes almost no sense on a practical level. He and his mom were slaves - what the hell do they need a butler robot for?

On a symbolic level, it makes a ton of sense - Anakin resents being someone else's property, and addresses it by creating a shiny slave for himself.

He built C-3PO to help his mother perform household tasks. He isn't the one who made him shiny.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tezzor posted:

Here's the last Star Wars thing Lucas created:

It is shockingly, bafflingly terrible. I had never heard of this series, because:

Shortly after the official announcement, Disney bought Lucasfilm and Star Wars, and although apparently there are a lot of episodes all ready to go, they appear to be sitting on it like The Day The Clown Cried.

IDK why anyone would say that lol

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Bongo Bill posted:

It is simple: brow height, joke quality, and applicability of metaphor are not correlated except by accident.

He built C-3PO to help his mother perform household tasks. He isn't the one who made him shiny.

Protocol droids are all kind of the same.

Anakin chose to build 3PO. He could've picked tons of other things, but chose a shiny butler.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tezzor posted:

It is really just so mind-boggling that somebody who takes film art seriously could also be willing to have comedy based on his or her work. I mean, if that were actually "a thing," we'd see famous actors on Saturday Night Live in skits making fun of their own roles!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Red posted:

Anakin chose to build 3PO. He could've picked tons of other things, but chose a shiny butler.

Pictured: A shiny butler.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

Pictured: A shiny butler.

Pretty sure the picture on the kit looks like

Edit: When he meets R2, he even gets embarrassed when he realizes he's 'naked'.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Tezzor posted:

Here's the last Star Wars thing Lucas created:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMVrMP8us6Q

It is shockingly, bafflingly terrible. I had never heard of this series, because:

Shortly after the official announcement, Disney bought Lucasfilm and Star Wars, and although apparently there are a lot of episodes all ready to go, they appear to be sitting on it like The Day The Clown Cried.

you're right people can't make things they find funny good call well done

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Red posted:

Pretty sure the picture on the kit looks like

Edit: When he meets R2, he even gets embarrassed when he realizes he's 'naked'.

Show me C-3PO's kit box and Anakin's Radio Shack reciept.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Pretty sure Threepio was cobbled together from junk that Anakin found or Watto let him take. He's a protocol droid repurposed as a household assistant. It looks like protocol droids can do menial work like that, but are intended as translators.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

Show me C-3PO's kit box and Anakin's Radio Shack reciept.

"I don't have it with me..."

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Serf posted:

Pretty sure Threepio was cobbled together from junk that Anakin found or Watto let him take. He's a protocol droid repurposed as a household assistant. It looks like protocol droids can do menial work like that, but are intended as translators.

It also feels like a "I'm going to spend way more effort avoiding my chores than just doing them" thing.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Red posted:

He built a domestic servant to domestically serve his mother, yes. He doesn't buttle very much, however, as the position implies having other servants under him. He intended for Shmi to have a high-class valet, but left him unfinished. Clegg put him in ratty, dull coverings and put him to work as a common farmhand, but once Anakin reclaimed him, he gave him to Padme (whom he conflated with his mother, recall), who dressed him up in gold and assigned him tasks befitting an attendant to royalty.

A pretty rich history, all told, and that's not even getting into the part where primitives in the forest revere him as a god. He's always commenting on what he understands to be the proper hierarchy, placing himself on the bottom. A slave to a slave, he considers it improper for a droid to impersonate a deity, up to and including by means of creating droid life - an honor reserved for his deific Maker, individually or in the abstract.

That's not to say he considers droids inferior to organic beings in capability ("He's quite clever, you know. For a human being. "), merely that their lot is to suffer in a position of social inferiority. Although he gripes, he assumes this position instinctively and consistently, in contrast to his life partner, the free-spirited liberated droid and daring rebel spy R2-D2.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

homullus posted:

It is really just so mind-boggling that somebody who takes film art seriously could also be willing to have comedy based on his or her work. I mean, if that were actually "a thing," we'd see famous actors on Saturday Night Live in skits making fun of their own roles!

Those skits are made by third parties, short, and often funny. This pile of poo poo was made by the content creator, of extended length, and going by the sizzle reel is not even remotely funny. The first factor is actually the more relevant, because if a Mad TV sketch on Jurassic Park sucks, who cares? If Spielberg makes talking-dinosaurs Jurassic Park comedy cartoon, you've got to wonder what the gently caress he is thinking even if it isn't terrible. Disney comprehends this. Why don't you?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tezzor posted:

Those skits are made by third parties, short, and often funny. This pile of poo poo was made by the content creator, of extended length, and going by the sizzle reel is not even remotely funny. The first factor is actually the more relevant, because if a Mad TV sketch on Jurassic Park sucks, who cares? If Spielberg makes talking-dinosaurs Jurassic Park comedy cartoon, you've got to wonder what the gently caress he is thinking even if it isn't terrible. Disney comprehends this. Why don't you?

What he's thinking is that he has an idea for an art project, and also has a truckload of cash that he can use to make it happen. Or must all independent creative undertakings meet with the approval of Tezzor before they may exist?

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Bongo Bill posted:

What he's thinking is that he has an idea for an art project, and also has a truckload of cash that he can use to make it happen. Or must all independent creative undertakings meet with the approval of Tezzor before they may exist?

Hahaha, "art project." I'm afraid I'll never understand why fanboys always sound like such sniveling sycophants. Like, you realize it isn't necessary to defend awful garbage because it's got the right logos on it, right? You know you're not making any money by doing this? That this crap makes what you like look worse, not better? Of course Lucas has the "right" to do this. The fact that he thought it was a good idea to do it is demonstrative of his loss of talent and sense. It's really not all that complicated

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Tezzor posted:

Hahaha, "art project." I'm afraid I'll never understand why fanboys always sound like such sniveling sycophants. Like, you realize it isn't necessary to defend awful garbage because it's got the right logos on it, right? You know you're not making any money by doing this? That this crap makes what you like look worse, not better? Of course Lucas has the "right" to do this. The fact that he thought it was a good idea to do it is demonstrative of his loss of talent and sense. It's really not all that complicated

:stare:

Pull up, PULL UP

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

What is even the point of this conversation, Tezzor? Even better artists than Lucas have made terrible things too. It happens.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tezzor posted:

Weren't you like banned from this thread.

Can you be like banned for real. Again, I guess.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Get a taste!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wonder where that fits into canon.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I will defend the Vader comic to the death purely because of this:

Oh and this:

Like, holy poo poo, they actually get visual storytelling. Well that and the inherent hilarity in defenestration.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tezzor posted:

I think it's pretty bad, but it is literally art. "Is art" is a low threshold to achieve. Lots of things are art. Even video games.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

RBA Starblade posted:

I wonder where that fits into canon.

Probably the same as the Robot Chicken sketches?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Tezzor posted:

If Spielberg makes talking-dinosaurs Jurassic Park comedy cartoon, you've got to wonder what the gently caress he is thinking even if it isn't terrible. Disney comprehends this.

Steven Spielberg presents an adventure for the whole family.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Steven Speilberg Presents An Adventure For The Whole Family.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zoran posted:

Probably the same as the Robot Chicken sketches?

No that's the old canon, we have the shiny new one now. :v:

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
George Lucas, to conference room full of fanboys and brown-nosers: "hey I heard that some people make over one thousand dollars a month drawing erotic Twileks. Why are we not capitalizing on this market?"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tezzor posted:

George Lucas, to conference room full of fanboys and brown-nosers: "hey I heard that some people make over one thousand dollars a month drawing erotic Twileks. Why are we not capitalizing on this market?"

Hell if he doesn't have the right to who does?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tezzor posted:

Seriously, what the hell are you even talking about anymore?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Tezzor posted:

Steven Speilberg Presents
An Adventure For The Whole Family.
Wish for a dinosaur
and watch
all your dreams
comes true.

WE'RE BACK!
A Dinosaur's Story

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Raxivace posted:

Seriously, what the hell are you even talking about anymore?

George Lucas is in fact a severely overrated hack and a soulless toy-hocking businessman surrounded by useless fanboys and yes-men, which is a relevant consideration when considering the likelihood of the apologetic headcanons of pretentious halfwits as to why he's actually a brilliant intellect operating on a higher level than we see. I did not think this was all that complicated

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Tezzor is melting down because no one is taking his bait.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Spielberg had so many cartoons that there was a segment where three of them (which was nowhere near all of them) duked it out to see which one Steven liked best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NLrjVnMO7k

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tezzor posted:

George Lucas is in fact a severely overrated hack and a soulless toy-hocking businessman surrounded by useless fanboys and yes-men, which is a relevant consideration when considering the likelihood of the apologetic headcanons of pretentious halfwits as to why he's actually a brilliant intellect operating on a higher level than we see. I did not think this was all that complicated

I'll think you'll find be is surrounded by fan girls and yes women as well, sexist.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tezzor posted:

George Lucas is in fact a severely overrated hack and a soulless toy-hocking businessman surrounded by useless fanboys and yes-men,

And he was a good friend.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Post the loving steampunk wedding pictures Tezzor

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Steven Spielberg presents an adventure for the whole family.

Notice how, just for starters, this isn't in the Jurassic Park brand. I wonder why this is. Surely it would have made more money if it was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Corek posted:

Post the loving steampunk wedding pictures Tezzor

I don't have any idea what you're talking about

• Locked thread