Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Aces High posted:

is DA better on the consoles? I've got DA:O (and Awakenings) and 2 for the PC but if it's better on the console I'll just get DA:I for the PS3

I'd do PC over PS3. I play on Xbone, and while the game does work pretty well with the controller it still bogs down from time to time if I've got enough carnage and explosions going on at once. Can't imagine playing it on the previous generation of consoles.

Plus you can't get the final DLC which is kind of mandatory if you end up liking the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Lt. Danger posted:

Mass Effect 3 is good.

Someone made a really good post about this ages back, but essentially goons don't know what 'pulp sci-fi' means.

I made a post about this, and am incredibly good, so it was me.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
That's one thing I never understood about Mass Effect. They never talk about even the possibility you were indoctrinated the whole time. Shepard is around reaper crap pretty much 24/7 and I figured it would come up. I thought the end with the star child was going to be indoctrination stuff when I first got there.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Well he does seem to accept "Oh yeah you can control us no problem" at face value with little argument.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

That's one thing I never understood about Mass Effect. They never talk about even the possibility you were indoctrinated the whole time. Shepard is around reaper crap pretty much 24/7 and I figured it would come up. I thought the end with the star child was going to be indoctrination stuff when I first got there.

Do yourself a favor and don't look up indoctrination theory. That's a rabbit hole you don't want to go down.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
The only bad thing about indoctrination theory is that EA/Bioware rejected it out of hand.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

My Q-Face posted:

The only bad thing about indoctrination theory is that EA/Bioware rejected it out of hand.

Some would argue that makes it even better.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
the indoctrination theory is rather interesting with a lot of weird evidence that makes it pretty persuasive

unfortunately, the evidence is from bioware slapping together the last ten minutes from existing assets without thinking about any of it

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Indoctrination theory is better science fiction than bioware ever making another great game.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Shroomie posted:

I'd do PC over PS3. I play on Xbone, and while the game does work pretty well with the controller it still bogs down from time to time if I've got enough carnage and explosions going on at once. Can't imagine playing it on the previous generation of consoles.

Plus you can't get the final DLC which is kind of mandatory if you end up liking the game.

Echoing this. My sister gave me DAI on the PS3 and it was terrible graphics. I bought it immediately for the PC and don't regret it. PC also means you get to mod it, and there's a lot of really nice hairstyle mods on the Nexus.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Moola posted:

Counter argument: its bad

I liked the part where even joker is loving on a robot and yet you still can't romance legion. at least they let you play a geth in ME3 MP and even play robot dressup

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Waltzing Along posted:

Indoctrination theory is better science fiction than bioware ever making another great game.

imagine blowing an ending so badly that a large number of folks seriously think you did it as a kind of long-con fakeout

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
http://www.pcgamer.com/new-mass-effect-battlefield-titanfall-by-april-2017/

quote:

EA's third-quarter statement, spotted by Game Informer, indicates that Mass Effect: Andromeda and the next Battlefield and Titanfall games will all appear before the end of the next financial year (March 31, 2017). Battlefield will be out come Christmas.

9hotonic
Jan 29, 2016

(after hearing the library has games , i arrive at the front desk, disguised as a non-gamer)

"er.. im here for some.. book's"
The biggest disappointment of the Mass Effect series is the fact you can't romance Legion.

Also does anyone still play Mass Effect 3 multiplayer on Xbox? It's the best part of the game in my opinion and it's loving impossible to find anyone and I'm too poo poo to solo games.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

that's a bit of a range there

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

9hotonic posted:

The biggest disappointment of the Mass Effect series is the fact you can't romance Legion.

Also does anyone still play Mass Effect 3 multiplayer on Xbox? It's the best part of the game in my opinion and it's loving impossible to find anyone and I'm too poo poo to solo games.

There's a healthy population even at 1am EST. Have you downloaded all the free packs for MP? Not having one or more packs will exclude you from seeing players that have them.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
I really like Mass Effect 3. I think the ending could have been better though. It seems weird that the boss fight is a conversation with a kid that you can't even hit with logic. "Synthetics and machines will always kill each other." "I just made peace with the Quarians and the Geth. Your argument is flawed." "Whoops. My bad. I guess I'll take my Reaper fleet out of here and we'll monitor the situation from afar."

Basically, I thought you would be able to argue with him based on your actions throughout the games. If you made the right decisions (peace with Quarians and Geth) you'd be able to tell the Reapers to gently caress off and if you didn't, you'd have to fight them and races would get reaped if your military score wasn't high enough. Start with earth and end on Tuchanka. That way they could have had different endings without having a player actually choose which color they want at the end.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

wookieepelt posted:

I really like Mass Effect 3. I think the ending could have been better though. It seems weird that the boss fight is a conversation with a kid that you can't even hit with logic. "Synthetics and machines will always kill each other." "I just made peace with the Quarians and the Geth. Your argument is flawed." "Whoops. My bad. I guess I'll take my Reaper fleet out of here and we'll monitor the situation from afar."

Basically, I thought you would be able to argue with him based on your actions throughout the games. If you made the right decisions (peace with Quarians and Geth) you'd be able to tell the Reapers to gently caress off and if you didn't, you'd have to fight them and races would get reaped if your military score wasn't high enough. Start with earth and end on Tuchanka. That way they could have had different endings without having a player actually choose which color they want at the end.

Yeah, but then you couldn't unlock Joker's cyberhat and rewrite the genetic code of every living creature in the galaxy without so much as asking permission first.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
in the secret deleted ending shepard uses the power-boost from the crucible to supercharge the citadel relay and launch earth to safety, overloading the citadel and causing it to blow up, killing all the reapers in the system

the last choice is a selection of one liners you can say to harbinger before everything explodes

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Luminous Obscurity posted:

in the secret deleted ending shepard uses the power-boost from the crucible to supercharge the citadel relay and launch earth to safety, overloading the citadel and causing it to blow up, killing all the reapers in the system

the last choice is a selection of one liners you can say to harbinger before everything explodes

at no point in the ending did Shepard say any variant of "GET US OUT OF HERE, JOKER"

in fact Joker got out of there without Shepard telling him to do so, in fact without Shepard entirely

0/10

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

wookieepelt posted:

Don't forget that they're a race of machines made out of liquified sentient people who have absolutely no concept of cybernetics. Apparently in all the millennia they've been doing this reaping thing we're the first cycle to not just skip over cybernetics and go straight to "sentient robot servants".

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Pattonesque posted:

that's a bit of a range there

It'll be releasing mid-March 2017, mark my words. right now they're still saying it'll be released this year but lol like half of Bioware's staff quit including a producer on ME:A, so it's gonna get the token delay

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Kurieg posted:

Don't forget that they're a race of machines made out of liquified sentient people who have absolutely no concept of cybernetics. Apparently in all the millennia they've been doing this reaping thing we're the first cycle to not just skip over cybernetics and go straight to "sentient robot servants".

Apparently, they wanted us to do the opposite: stuff all computers full of meat.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
So after beating 1 and 2 way too many times, I've finally downloaded 3! Also the Citadel, From Ashes, and Leviathan DLC. Not sure about Omega so I'll be skipping that.
Should I get the Happy Endings mods, or just accept the subpar Extended Cut DLC?
What about other mods? I only saw mostly texture mods for armor and of course your female companions, but are there any gameplay mods that are worth a look?

I know this game has been out for a while already and about the controversial ending, but like I said before I played through 1 and 2 so many times, I'm kind of afraid to look at my Steam records.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
play the normal game and quit after you finish the citadel dlc

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Moola posted:

play the normal game and quit after you finish the citadel dlc

No, play the multiplayer.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
oh yeah the mp

play like, a year of the multiplayer

cause its loving amazing

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The Happy Ending Mod blows, as does the EC. Disable the EC for the pro Mass Effect 3 experience.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Alternatively, use the Alternate Happy Ending Mod, which strips away a lot of the over the top bullshit of the original Happy Ending Mod but keeps the most important part of it- the Memorial Wall scene.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Outpost22 posted:

So after beating 1 and 2 way too many times, I've finally downloaded 3! Also the Citadel, From Ashes, and Leviathan DLC. Not sure about Omega so I'll be skipping that.
Should I get the Happy Endings mods, or just accept the subpar Extended Cut DLC?
What about other mods? I only saw mostly texture mods for armor and of course your female companions, but are there any gameplay mods that are worth a look?

I know this game has been out for a while already and about the controversial ending, but like I said before I played through 1 and 2 so many times, I'm kind of afraid to look at my Steam records.

Honestly Omega is worth it for the female turian squadmate.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

and single player lash... and maybe the biotic nuke, maybe.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Kurieg posted:

and single player lash... and maybe the biotic nuke, maybe.

Flare is a really weak power.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Zoran posted:

That's why I added two maybies, it's fun for a gimmick but it's not great on it's own.

Lash, however, is.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
You aren't playing ME3 correctly unless Joker stands alone at the wall.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Zoran posted:

it's a really fun power though

Hedrigall posted:

Honestly Omega is worth it for the female turian squadmate.

Yeah, she's awesome, the Omega environments are pretty good, and you can sass Aria the entire time if you so wish. It's mostly combat-oriented so it'll live or die on whether you like space wizardry and/or guns in ME3, but it's solid if you do.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Having a great time so far and I haven't even gotten past Mars!

Is there a way I can start out with a bonus power or do I have to do loyalty missions like in ME2?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Outpost22 posted:

Having a great time so far and I haven't even gotten past Mars!

Is there a way I can start out with a bonus power or do I have to do loyalty missions like in ME2?

No loyalty missions. You'll get access to bonus powers as you have conversations with squadmates. You can start with a bonus power on subsequent playthroughs.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Feb 3, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

the Vermire Squadmate's power can be buggy to get sometimes, talk to them often and as soon as you can.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Psion posted:

it's a really fun power though

Yeah, she's awesome, the Omega environments are pretty good, and you can sass Aria the entire time if you so wish. It's mostly combat-oriented so it'll live or die on whether you like space wizardry and/or guns in ME3, but it's solid if you do.

My first time through Omega it just dragged, but my second time through (to pick up all the missing achievements), it really seemed to blow by - on insanity no less . Probably something to do with all the time I pumped into MP. "Oh, they dropped two Atlases in your way". :geno: Okay. :flame:

Playing through 2 again though, I just completely ignored Aria. Is her "story" in 2 really just that "Hey, Aria wants to see you" -go see Aria and ask about things Edi already told you the answer to when you got off the Normandy" I'm having trouble remembering if she actually contributed anything to the game, quest or reward, or even story-wise. - Beyond "Don't gently caress with Aria"

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Feb 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
She tells you about one of those planets you can visit that has a bit of loot on it. Specifically, the one with the mechs destroying the containers when you show up. You don't need to talk to her to visit it though.

• Locked thread