Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

flosofl posted:

:eng101: Red Tailed Hawk cry is used for "eagle cries" on TV/Movies

And the sound that bald eagles actually make was used for the Road Runner in the Wile E. Coyote cartoons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

VDay posted:

Yeah I'm surprised some people thought the train scene redeemed some of that stuff, I thought it just made things way worse. "Oh you faked a terrorist attack just to confirm the fact that I've been lying to you this whole time and lied to your face like 5 hours ago when we said goodbye but hey I guess now you know for sure even though you already did. Don't worry though you're totally not in danger now that you know who I am even though that's the reason we broke up even though I was going to tell you at some point. It's a shame we definitely can't still be together because even though I can run across the country in 30 seconds a long distance relationship is just impossible for me anyway you seem like you'll be fine and not scarred for life after this insanely cruel betrayal of trust ok byyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeee..."

I hate how short-sighted the writers are when it comes to Barry's character. We're like a season and a half into this show and he's already had 4 love interests, each of which basically got resolved the same dumb way. Do the writers not realize they're kind of turning him into a sociopath who's now hurt multiple women for a reason that they already established is stupid and nonsensical with Iris? I mean I don't even mind the dumb melodrama but good lord at least come up with something new.

Yeah it starts to get real annoying when characters make the same mistake over and over, which seems to be a hallmark for both this show and Arrow.

You're comment about Barry being able to run to the next town in a few seconds is the one that really bothers me, because you're right, there's no reason that he couldn't maintain a long-distance relationship, because he could pop over for dinner and be back home before the night was even over.

That and I really liked Patty, so bleh. :smith:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

boom boom boom posted:

And the sound that bald eagles actually make was used for the Road Runner in the Wile E. Coyote cartoons.

Are you loving with me? Please don't be loving with me. I want so bad for this to be true and may ignore the rest of the thread so I never know for certain.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

Are you loving with me? Please don't be loving with me. I want so bad for this to be true and may ignore the rest of the thread so I never know for certain.

Sorry, bald eagles don't go meep meep

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Beens posted:

You don't actually have any proof of this.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
No, bald eagles just go 'meep' the second meep is added in post so they only have to pay the eagle once.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 1, 2016

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

imperialparadox posted:

Yeah it starts to get real annoying when characters make the same mistake over and over, which seems to be a hallmark for both this show and Arrow.

You're comment about Barry being able to run to the next town in a few seconds is the one that really bothers me, because you're right, there's no reason that he couldn't maintain a long-distance relationship, because he could pop over for dinner and be back home before the night was even over.

That and I really liked Patty, so bleh. :smith:

He isn't that fast. In season 1 it took him about an hour to run from Central City to Starling City, and those are only 600 miles apart.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

and at the end of season one, he ran fast enough to go back in time.

I think he could make it in a few minutes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mr Beens posted:

I would describe it more like "squeaky door hinge"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJovQ5gmxDM

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Or they can just, y'know, Skype like normal people do.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They didn't break up because of the distance. Did you all even watch the episode?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

They didn't break up because of the distance. Did you all even watch the episode?

Clearly you were watching the Earth 2 broadcast, because her moving away was clearly the main factor. (Though his lies were largely what led to her feeling okay with severing and moving away.)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

BrianWilly posted:

Or they can just, y'know, Skype like normal people do.

I don't think bald eagles can skype

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

Clearly you were watching the Earth 2 broadcast, because her moving away was clearly the main factor. (Though his lies were largely what led to her feeling okay with severing and moving away.)

It wasn't. If you rewatch that scene, there was a moment in the conversation where it didn't quite trigger for Barry that Patty was breaking up, and she had to explicitly say she was leaving everything behind, and then it clicked.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Yeah the separation thing was clearly an excuse. Barry's emotional dishonesty is what made Patty leave, going to CSI school in another city was just a convenient out for both of them. Patty literally said she would stay if Barry would just tell her the truth. She was devastated when he wouldn't.

Kaine
Dec 29, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The only truly awful thing she does now is that pose every time she uses the canary cry.

I've been watching the awesomely terrible 90s show Birds of Prey and I'm not sure if the canary call from that is worse or better.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Kaine posted:

I've been watching the awesomely terrible 90s show Birds of Prey and I'm not sure if the canary call from that is worse or better.

Okay, it's called a Canary CRY, so, you know, just go ahead and pretend like you're blowing out a candle.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I wish she'd just stuck with the sonic grenades, I thought that was a really cool adaptation.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

CainsDescendant posted:

I wish she'd just stuck with the sonic grenades, I thought that was a really cool adaptation.

:agreed:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

No Butt Stuff posted:

and at the end of season one, he ran fast enough to go back in time.

I think he could make it in a few minutes.

In one episode I remember him being so fast that he could essentially freeze time. He never used it for anything, he just did it once when he was talking to Iris.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

punchymcpunch posted:

It needs to make a really overused basic eagle cry sound effect too.

No joke, as I read this I heard this sound effect play on a TV in another room :psyduck:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Tiggum posted:

In one episode I remember him being so fast that he could essentially freeze time. He never used it for anything, he just did it once when he was talking to Iris.

That was actually an approximation of what it looks like to him when he goes into Speed Force mode. He's moving so fast relative to everything else that it might as well be standing still. Wally does the same thing during the big Savitar story he had, one of the evil speedsters jumps him on a date and he doesn't even realize he's started moving at super speed until he notices Linda is frozen in mid-movement.

Kaine posted:

something something O-face

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Chokes McGee posted:

That was actually an approximation of what it looks like to him when he goes into Speed Force mode. He's moving so fast relative to everything else that it might as well be standing still.

I know, but he's normally not that fast.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Flash writers, you saw what Legends of Tomorrow did. Now it's your turn. Jay Garrick is right there ready to die. Do it. For the good of the show.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Teddy Sears is fine. His character doing literally nothing but stand around and make googly eyes at Caitlin is not.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
On the one hand I'm still hopeful that all the dumb stuff with him is simply being used to clumsily set something up for the end of the season, but on the other hand I'm kind of terrified that they're just going to go with one of the super obvious twists when it comes to Zoom/Jay/Zolomon. In the meantime though bringing him in and then revealing that he doesn't have his speed, making him get into a super forced relationship with Caitlin, revealing that he basically has cancer, and making him be against like 90% of Barry's plans/ideas aren't exactly fun or interesting character beats.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

Flash writers, you saw what Legends of Tomorrow did. Now it's your turn. Jay Garrick is right there ready to die. Do it. For the good of the show.

No, please no. Don't kill off the pretty!

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

The Duke posted:

No joke, as I read this I heard this sound effect play on a TV in another room :psyduck:

No joke, it was really hard to set that up!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

VDay posted:

On the one hand I'm still hopeful that all the dumb stuff with him is simply being used to clumsily set something up for the end of the season, but on the other hand I'm kind of terrified that they're just going to go with one of the super obvious twists when it comes to Zoom/Jay/Zolomon. In the meantime though bringing him in and then revealing that he doesn't have his speed, making him get into a super forced relationship with Caitlin, revealing that he basically has cancer, and making him be against like 90% of Barry's plans/ideas aren't exactly fun or interesting character beats.

Being a big fan of comics Jay isn't required to realize how terrible this turn of events has been, but it sure doesn't help!

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Jay just needs more to do. Originally the interviews before the season began said that Jay would act as a mentor to Barry, but that hasn't been happening on screen at all. He taught Barry how to throw lightning and that has so far been the bulk of his contributions. Otherwise he's there to scowl at Harrison Wells and flirt with Caitlin.

And sure Wells killed Turtle, but he's the only one who is actively trying to figure out ways to stop Zoom and get his daughter back. Everyone else seems fine with pushing the thought of Zoom out of their minds until he starts cropping up again.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

X-O posted:

They just need to give him back his powers and make him the cool Jay again.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Right now he's the blue Jay.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
He should be wearing his metal hat all the time. Like a king and his crown.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

X-O posted:

But then they can't reveal him to be Zoom!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What if Zoom is literally Jay's speed cancer.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Jay Garrick is the Avatar, and Zoom is the evil parts of him he split off to gain the Speedforce. Earth 1 is Britannia and Wells is rear end in a top hat Lord British

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

greatn posted:

What if Zoom is literally Jay's speed cancer.

Barry being an rear end in a top hat is already making me want to root for Zoom, this would put it over the top if he kills Jay.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
What is Zoom's end goal? What's he doing?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

We didn't know that last year either, that's not why it's weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Aphrodite posted:

We didn't know that last year either, that's not why it's weak.
See I think it matters a lot more for Zoom right now to gain depth than Eobard. Last season we saw Eobard interact with the cast, saw his character with the team and then alone and so even without knowing why he was doing what he was until episode 15 he felt like a good and well-rounded character.

Zoom doesn't have any of that. He shows up to be scary and then runs off again and everyone keeps talking about him, but he doesn't really do much of anything right now. So finding out why he's doing what he is can help give him some much needed depth.

• Locked thread