Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

gradenko_2000 posted:

1. Where does the "cold iron has anti-magic properties/is one of the few ways to harm especially magical beings" trope come from? There's references to it as early as AD&D in the Fool's Gold spell and being used against Ghasts, Imps and Lycanthropes, so it must have been in someone's fantasy mythology by the 70s.

This one has deep roots in folklore, going back thousands of years. Pliny wrote about iron nails being used to ward off spirits, and it's used as a good luck charm all over the world. It supposedly has to do with the fact that human blood smells similar to iron being worked, which thus linked iron and life-force, but I'm not sure if that's historically true or a modern supposition. In any case, it's way, way older than D&D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

2. For all the different polearms that were written about in D&D, it does not deal with sarissa?
:gygax:

quote:

3. The AD&D 1e DMG has one set of random encounter tables which uses MM1 monsters, the Fiend Folio has another which uses its own monsters, and the Monster Manual 2 has yet another which uses monsters from all three books. Any idea if any of these in particular are better than the others?
I'd use the MM2, myself.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

gradenko_2000 posted:

1. Where does the "cold iron has anti-magic properties/is one of the few ways to harm especially magical beings" trope come from? There's references to it as early as AD&D in the Fool's Gold spell and being used against Ghasts, Imps and Lycanthropes, so it must have been in someone's fantasy mythology by the 70s.

2. For all the different polearms that were written about in D&D, it does not deal with sarissa?

3. The AD&D 1e DMG has one set of random encounter tables which uses MM1 monsters, the Fiend Folio has another which uses its own monsters, and the Monster Manual 2 has yet another which uses monsters from all three books. Any idea if any of these in particular are better than the others?

1: As mentioned, Iron goes back ages and ages. Limiting it to "Cold/unworked/wrought iron" is much more modern invention, though.

2: TBF the Sarissa is not exactly dungeoneering equipment. 20 foot long spears and 10 by 10 by 10 rooms don't mix. But hey, Runequest 2nd had a special skill just for how the sarissa was used- 2h spear+ Shield.

3: We generally wound up using the FF's- it included both the MM1 and the FF monsters, and the MM2 charts weren't actually charts, just...lists based on different factors for you to build your own charts with, from what I remember.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

unseenlibrarian posted:

1: As mentioned, Iron goes back ages and ages. Limiting it to "Cold/unworked/wrought iron" is much more modern invention, though.

Also this, yeah. For most of history, "cold iron" was just a bit of poetry, like "cold, hard cash" or what have you. I'm not sure when that mutated into "only iron that's never been heated hurts fairies/ghosts/etc.," but it's a much more modern thing.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Amazingly, a "new version" of TSR's Gangbusters was released today. The rights to the game apparently reverted to its original designer (Rick Krebs), and he's allowing someone to publish a "basic" version of the game on Lulu.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/mark-hunt/gang-busters-basic-rules/paperback/product-22547904.html

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

As mentioned, Iron goes back ages and ages. Limiting it to "Cold/unworked/wrought iron" is much more modern invention, though.

Yeah as far as I can tell the second one is a D&D thing, because "the secret to killing fairies is to stab, bludgeon, and shoot them, or failing that just wave your weapons at them" doesn't have a great ring to it.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I'm not sure that this is the right thread for this but speaking of Dyson Logos, someone is threatening him because he pointed out that buying Chick Tracts "ironically" only gives money to Chick and his organization. This apparently makes him an "SJW". Really?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Amazingly, a "new version" of TSR's Gangbusters was released today. The rights to the game apparently reverted to its original designer (Rick Krebs), and he's allowing someone to publish a "basic" version of the game on Lulu.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/mark-hunt/gang-busters-basic-rules/paperback/product-22547904.html

Is this just the 1920s or a fantasy version? The description suggests the former, but the cover suggests the later.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lightning Lord posted:

I'm not sure that this is the right thread for this but speaking of Dyson Logos, someone is threatening him because he pointed out that buying Chick Tracts "ironically" only gives money to Chick and his organization. This apparently makes him an "SJW". Really?

Sadly, yes. There are a lot of people who honestly think that saying "hey, maybe we shouldn't give the racist homophobic guy money" is somehow a political statement.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Covok posted:

Is this just the 1920s or a fantasy version? The description suggests the former, but the cover suggests the later.

No idea, I didn't grab it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Yeah as far as I can tell the second one is a D&D thing, because "the secret to killing fairies is to stab, bludgeon, and shoot them, or failing that just wave your weapons at them" doesn't have a great ring to it.
Yeah, one of the traditional ways to kill a vampire was "a bullet" because things like firearms or good steel weapons were a big deal to an 18th century peasant.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Lightning Lord posted:

You certainly are in the right thread given that this is the only thread that knows or cares who Dyson Logos is.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Covok posted:

Looks like it's 1920s but with optional rules to make bizarre pulp games.

quote:

Mark has added in the pulp element of strange and mysterious powers; "These are optional rules designed to add a little of the mysterious and the fantastic to a Judge’s campaign. Be warned that they take The Blue Book Detective Agency Beginner Game away from the straight cops and robbers genre of Gangbusters and into the territory of The Shadow, Black Bat, G-8, The Spider, The Phantom Detective, and other Pulp heroes and anti-heroes. This is likely to change the tone of the game, making it more like what a 21st century readership would think of as the Pulp magazines of the 1920s and 1930s. If the Judge decides to take his campaign down this route, the traditional set-up in the Pulps would be for one character, the protagonist, to have the strange and mysterious power, as with The Shadow or Doc Savage. Unless the playing group is willing to play in this format, it is not recommended as it does mean that the focus of game shifts to the player character with the power. Instead, it is suggested that each character have his own secret power to aid him in fight against crime, or indeed, his stand against the Law."

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

gradenko_2000 posted:

This doesnt answer your question - but some of the lists that trickled out in the giant piles of 2e Monstrous Compendiums (the 3ring binder versions) were decent.

Whoa. I just found this:

http://www.lomion.de/cmm/_index.php

and this:

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=51196

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

This is really good. Thanks FRINGE!

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I wanted this stuff so loving badly like 15 years ago.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

FRINGE posted:

This doesnt answer your question - but some of the lists that trickled out in the giant piles of 2e Monstrous Compendiums (the 3ring binder versions) were decent.

Whoa. I just found this:

http://www.lomion.de/cmm/_index.php

and this:

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=51196

Thanks so much for this, that first link is like years worth of bathroom reading.

I also now clearly remember being like 14 and mad as gently caress about the 3ring binder MM. How the gently caress they expect my dumb rear end friends and I to not destroy that thing? I remember spending hours putting those dumb little hole protectors on every page.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I wish lomion had a world index or noted where the monsters are from somewhere other than the entries themselves but aside from thst its always been a superb resource.

bongwizzard posted:

I also now clearly remember being like 14 and mad as gently caress about the 3ring binder MM. How the gently caress they expect my dumb rear end friends and I to not destroy that thing? I remember spending hours putting those dumb little hole protectors on every page.

Not to mention with double-sided sheets it was impossible to keep in alphabetical order.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 2, 2016

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Lightning Lord posted:

Not to mention with double-sided sheets it was impossible to keep in alphabetical order.

OH GOD IT'S ALL COMING BACK!

Yep, that also drove me crazy. Imho the coolest part of that design choice would be let you rearrange the binders however you like, by hit dice, habitat, whatever, but having more then one monster per page hosed that up.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Lightning Lord posted:

That was the only actually bad-bad thing about them. (Aside from the usual sporadic DnD "what the hell is this monster for and why was it printed" stuff. But thats in every edition.)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17174

The Greyhawk supplement for OD&D is now available as official PDF on DTRPG/DNDclassics.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So what are some recent purchases you guys have made, bought a copy of Yoon-Suin off Lulu last night, hopefully it'll arrive not too late in the next week(I'm still amazed at how much better the shipping rates on Lulu are when compared to Drivethrustuff's for it's print on demand services, the latter's are so ridiculous it's surprising anyone sells anything through them)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've been buying the DNDclassics re-releases as soon as they come out, so the recent ones were AD&D 1e's Unearthed Arcana, and then the OD&D white box set, and then the Greyhawk supplement just yesterday.

For Gold and Glory as the AD&D 2nd Edition retroclone has also been finally and officially released, so I got a PDF copy of that.

I also got the Starvation Cheap supplement for Stars Without Number as part of some prep I did for a Traveller game. Lots of material in there, you could a whole Thin Red Line-esque campaign using just this.

EDIT: Oh yes I did also buy a DM screen for OSRIC last night. It's not totally compatible with AD&D 1e so I'd only ever use it if I was running OSRIC specifically, so total impulse buy, but whatever, it looked nice.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 4, 2016

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Let's see, what's relevant to this thread?

Well I got a copy of Ryuutama which has some killer overland travel rules.

Then I got Lone Wolf Adventure Game (Cubicle 7) I don't know that I can recommend that since if you've seen one Lone Wolf adventure book you probably have a perfectly accurate guess of how to run it as an RPG, but it's leagues better than the Mongoose version was.

Here's one that's totally on topic. I bought Deep Carbon Observatory. I'm not sure I'd recommended it as an adventure as everything Patrick Stuart writes is sort of excessively bizarre but there are several delightful pieces. I think I like best the time matrixed 'visiting the town' scene where everything is a constant series of tiny disasters that need attending.

Does anyone have a copy of Slumbering Ursine Dunes? I'd like to here a review of that.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

DalaranJ posted:

Let's see, what's relevant to this thread?

Well I got a copy of Ryuutama which has some killer overland travel rules.

Then I got Lone Wolf Adventure Game (Cubicle 7) I don't know that I can recommend that since if you've seen one Lone Wolf adventure book you probably have a perfectly accurate guess of how to run it as an RPG, but it's leagues better than the Mongoose version was.

Here's one that's totally on topic. I bought Deep Carbon Observatory. I'm not sure I'd recommended it as an adventure as everything Patrick Stuart writes is sort of excessively bizarre but there are several delightful pieces. I think I like best the time matrixed 'visiting the town' scene where everything is a constant series of tiny disasters that need attending.

Does anyone have a copy of Slumbering Ursine Dunes? I'd like to here a review of that.

I have a copy of both SUD and it's companion, might have to do that later

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Deep Carbon Observatory is really weird and I'm not even sure how I'd run it as a straight adventure based on the material itself, since I found it kind of hard to follow as it was presented.

But it has atmosphere in spades and plenty of unique ideas to borrow, like the terrifying cartilage giant (hopefully that means nothing to anyone it would spoil).

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

drrockso20 posted:

So what are some recent purchases you guys have made, bought a copy of Yoon-Suin off Lulu last night, hopefully it'll arrive not too late in the next week(I'm still amazed at how much better the shipping rates on Lulu are when compared to Drivethrustuff's for it's print on demand services, the latter's are so ridiculous it's surprising anyone sells anything through them)

Not a recent purchase, but since I backed a recent OSR Bundle of Holding I got a bunch of cool OSR stuff, and then going through my DriveThruRPG library at a later date I realized they'd retrospectively added a bunch of stuff to the bundle I didn't notice the first time.

The Hill Cantons Compendium II is apparently a bunch of house rules for the Hill Cantons setting, which is the one the Slavic mythology inspired pointcrawl Slumbering Ursine Dunes is set in. Has a bunch of new classes for B/X D&D including the WAR BEAR as well as a kind of a lifepathish system for generating character background as well as starting equipment as well. To go with that there's a system for starting play as 0-level characters.

The lifepath system is very interesting and I really want to give it a spin at some point.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ratpick posted:

Not a recent purchase, but since I backed a recent OSR Bundle of Holding I got a bunch of cool OSR stuff, and then going through my DriveThruRPG library at a later date I realized they'd retrospectively added a bunch of stuff to the bundle I didn't notice the first time.

The Hill Cantons Compendium II is apparently a bunch of house rules for the Hill Cantons setting, which is the one the Slavic mythology inspired pointcrawl Slumbering Ursine Dunes is set in. Has a bunch of new classes for B/X D&D including the WAR BEAR as well as a kind of a lifepathish system for generating character background as well as starting equipment as well. To go with that there's a system for starting play as 0-level characters.

The lifepath system is very interesting and I really want to give it a spin at some point.

Yeah I backed those too, haven't read too much of any of the Hill Cantons books yet, but there's a good chance both it and Yoon-Suin would be regions in possible settings I'd construct for future campaigns, along with the setting in Spears of The Dawn, and probably some other books as well

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Ratpick posted:

WAR BEAR

Go on. Though I am curious about the life path system as well because Beyond the Wall has something like that too, even Shadowrun 5e added something like that too.

EDIT: "Nine variant old school fantasy (and Labyrinth Lord)-compatible player classes: the Mountebank, Chaos Monk, Robo-Dwarf, Feral Dwarf, White Wizard, Half-Ogre, Black “Halflings”, Pantless Barbarian and, of course, the War Bear."

Huh. This sounds really interesting, now if I could play in a game that uses it.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 5, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There's a series of newly released games from an outfit called Night Owl Workshop that "reconfigures" (my term) the OD&D style of book and rules and play into different genres:

Guardians turns OD&D into a Superheroes type game with tables of randomly rolled "gifts" and "powers". The main writer is David Pulver of GURPS fame.

Colonial Troopers turns OD&D in a hard/military sci-fi game in the vein of Robert Heinlein and Poul Anderson. The main writer is Steve Perrin of RuneQuest fame.

Finally, Warriors of the Red Planet is about "Swords and Planet" science-fantasy. Admittedly I am completely unfamiliar with this genre, but the influences are the works of Edgar Rice Burroughs like John Carter of Mars, or Michael Moorcock's Warriors of Mars. The main writer is Al Krombach, who did work for Castles & Crusades and Microlite20. Shane Ivey of Delta Green fame is also listed as an editor.

The common designer across all three is Thomas Denmark, who is unfamiliar to me but his BGG profile says he used to be an illustrator for D&D, M:TG and the WoW TCG and designed the Dungeoneer and Murder of Crows card games by Atlas Games.

Normally I would be wary of "OD&D, but in a different flavor"-type games because the concept is so simple, and I know what I just wrote above sounds like ad copy, but the authors do read like a who's who of reputable RPG designers instead of some heartbreaker, and these games practically came out of left field.

EDIT:

Okay, so here's a passage from Colonial Troopers that's sort of sold me that these are games can and will stand on their own legs:

quote:

Skill Throw

While Colonial Troopers does not utilize specific skills, promoting the aesthetic that player action trumps random rolls, there may be times when the Game Master prefers some sort of die check be made to determine whether or not character is successful attempting a particular action. In these cases, the Game Master determines which of the character’s abilities is most relevant to the task being attempted. If two or more are relevant, the highest ability may be used the Game Master’s discretion.

For instance, the player wants to see if his character can leap over a pit. The Game Master determines Strength is the relevant ability. Or, the player may attempt to disable a doomsday device with a ticking clock. The Game Master then determines the player may utilize either Dexterity or Intelligence to make the attempt.

It should be stressed that this system is only intended to resolve the most unlikely resolutions; Game Masters are encouraged to allow automatic success when reasonable or when the player adequately describes the steps he or she takes accomplish the desired objective.

At no time should a player be called on for a Skill Throw unless the GM is ready for the character to either succeed or fail. And ready for failure should not be limited to “you’re dead.”

The player rolls a d20, using the attribute modifier to increase (or in some cases decrease) the d20 roll. The Game Master may also add or subtract situational modifiers. If the final result is equal to or higher than the character’s Skill Throw, which is the same as his Saving Throw, the skill succeeds.

Example: Clint says that his Hunter character, Dirk Largo, is going to climb the wall of the colonial HQ to get to the Commander’s offce and steal his keys to the weapon vaults. The GM is ready to deal with this situation whether or not Dirk succeeds, so he calls for a Climbing Skill roll, based on Dexterity. Dirk is 4th level, has average Dexterity and no Hunter Skill in Climbing (see Hunter writeup). His Skill Throw is 11. Since there is a time factor because the regular city patrol is due in ten minutes, the GM adds 4 to the Skill Throw, meaning that Clint has to roll 15 or more to get up to the office in time.

Clint rolls “Aha! Fifteen!”

The GM says “You are just slipping through the open window to the Commander’s offce as the patrol passes beneath you. They look up, but do not see you.”

Emphasis mine. That's really ... can I use the word progressive? I'll use the word progressive.

What the player describes they are doing is more important than what they roll for, and the act of rolling itself should only be asked for if the DM is prepared for both success and failure.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Feb 5, 2016

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Ryuujin posted:

Go on. Though I am curious about the life path system as well because Beyond the Wall has something like that too, even Shadowrun 5e added something like that too.

EDIT: "Nine variant old school fantasy (and Labyrinth Lord)-compatible player classes: the Mountebank, Chaos Monk, Robo-Dwarf, Feral Dwarf, White Wizard, Half-Ogre, Black “Halflings”, Pantless Barbarian and, of course, the War Bear."

Huh. This sounds really interesting, now if I could play in a game that uses it.

War Bears are basically bipedal bears who are some of the most elite warriors of the Hill Cantons setting. They fight mostly by using polearms, because who doesn't love the mental image of an upright bear with a voulge, bardiche or a ranseur? Speaking of odd polearms, at a certain level they gain the ability to invent and craft a completely unique type of polearm, which is so powerful that it counts as a +2 weapon. I take it that neophyte war bears just use whatever polearms they can find but at some point they'll develop an unhealthily Gygaxian obsession with polearms and go on to think "Okay, what can I do to make this one different from all those other polearms?"

The lifepath system is really cool: the idea is that you roll on a bunch of charts, first for your parents' trade, then for your childhood and adolescence events, then twice for young adulthood events. Each of the results you get gives you a +1D into a certain stat and maybe some equipment or a bonus on the equipment tables that come after you've rolled your character.

After this you roll 3d6 in order for each stat, but for each stat you've got extra dice for you roll those as well and use the three highest. So, if your character's got a bunch of +1D Str bonuses you might be rolling 6d6 for Strength and picking the three highest results.

If you're using the level 0 characters option that's pretty much it: you then roll on a bunch of tables to determine what mundane equipment you get and go on an adventure. If you're playing the game with normal 1st-level characters the choices you get for equipment are much better and you also get a bunch of stuff simply by virtue of being of a certain class.

Allow me to illustrate by rolling up a character using the system:

We start by rolling on Table 2: Parent Occupation (there's also a Table 1: Birth Order, but that's mostly just flavor). A result of 12 (on a d20) means that our parent was a Slaver. We get +1D Str and a whip OR manacles.

We then roll twice on Table 3: Significant Events (Childhood/Adolescence), ignoring duplicates. A result of 8 means that we were apprenticed to our parent, meaning we get an extra +1D Str, while a result of 7 means that we were eventually orphaned at the cusp of adolescence and brought up by a guardian. We now roll a d20 on Table 3A: Guardians, and a result of means we were adopted by a noble, which means we refer back to Table 2E: Nobility. A result of 3 means that our Guardian was a Knight, giving us a +1D Str.

So, at the cusp of adulthood we know that our character was brought up by a Slaver, taught their trade, and then orphaned and adopted by a noble knight. We now move on to Table 4: Significant Events (Young Adulthood) and roll twice, ignoring duplicates again. A result of 13 means that we moved into borderlands/wilderness, giving us +1D Con, and a result of 3 means that we caused the death of a relative, giving us a floating +1D to any stat and meaning we have to roll on a table to determine which of our relatives we caused the death of. A result of 3 means that we caused the death of an uncle/aunt. The system doesn't tell us whether it's our real biological aunt/uncle or our foster uncle/aunt, but I'll figure that out later.

With all that down we now roll our Abilities as normal, but we take all the +1D results into account. I decide to put the floating +1D any into Con, because it seems our rolls are favoring a martial type.

Str 6D results in 16. (So we roll 6d6 and take the 3 highest results.)
Int 3D results in 12.
Wis 3D results in 9.
Dex 3D results in 13.
Con 5D results in 14.
Cha 3D results in 9.

If we were making a simple 0-level character that would be it, but assuming we're making a 1st-level character we'd now pick our class. Fighter seems appropriate here. Let's roll and pick our starting equipment now!

As a Fighter we get a +2 bonus on the armor chart, but because we're making a Basic Edition character there are only two options: leather on 1-2 and a chain on a 3-6, so we automatically get the chain.

We roll 1d6 for our starting weapon, getting a result of 4: medium weapon (like a longsword, scimitar or battleaxe). Longsword seems appropriate.

We also roll 1d6 for our starting missile weapon, getting a result of 1, meaning we start with a sling or darts and one batch of ammunition.

As a Fighter we also get an extra weapon roll and 10 gp. We might want a better ranged weapon, so we'll roll another 1d6 on the ranged weapon table: a result of 5 gives us a heavy crossbow.

We then choose an adventure pack. All packs come with backpack, two small sacks, bedroll, waterskin, tinderbox, and one week of iron rations. I decide to supplement that with Pack C (five torches, five oil flasks, 60 ft. rope, grappling hook, wooden pole).

I only have two more roll remaining: once for mount and once for extra cash: on the mount roll I roll 5 and thus get a light warhorse (appropriate given our origin) and for extra cash I roll 2, getting 15 gp extra.

After all that rolling, here's our character:

quote:

Class: Fighter
Abilities:
Str 16
Int 12
Wis 9
Dex 13
Con 14
Cha 9

Equipment: Manacles, longsword, sling and 10 bullets, heavy crossbow and 10 quarrels, chain armor, backpack, two small sacks, bedroll, waterskin, tinderbox, one week's iron rations, five torches, five oil flasks, 60 ft. rope, grappling hook, wooden pole.

I like it because it takes into account our background rolls when determining attribute rolls. Of course, to make sense of all that we might need to shift the order of events a bit: maybe our character moved into the borderlands because they caused the death of their aunt, but on a basic level we've got a good idea of our characters' background already: the child of a slaver, taught their father's trade, eventually orphaned as their father was killed (maybe in a slave uprising?) and adopted by a landed knight. However, while under the wing of the knight we accidentally caused the death of our foster father's brother while training. This caused our character to decide to make a run for it, packing their bags and running off into the wilderness to seek adventure!

It's fairly intensive, but pretty cool in my opinion.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012
So I guess this is the 4E thread now?

I've been asked to DM some 4E for some random dudes I met running a 5E Adventurer's League game for the store I work at. Anyways, one of the guys took charge of organising and decided he would determine his stats by rolling 4d6 drop the lowest 7 times, and taking the best six. This of course resulted in his total stat bonuses being +13 before racial bumps. I said that I would prefer we used point buy/standard array to make sure everyone's stats were in the expected range for the 4E's maths, so as to avoid me having to do additional work balancing for random stats. He has come back and asked if he can used 30 points for point buy, rather than the normal 22.

My question is: are the extra points likely to cause issues with using the 4E maths as is, particularly if I'm running Gardmore Abbey? I don't really care if the players want higher stats (as long as they all use the same PB), but I don't want to have to do additional work to increase encounter difficulties and appropriate DCs if I can avoid it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Well Basic is deadlier than I remember. We spent two hours relearning how to make characters, and then I killed a PC with the first attack of the game.

To be fair, he was poking a monster to provoke it. His character was an annoying halfling who courts danger - That's not an archetype that lives long in that kind of game.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

thefakenews posted:

I've been asked to DM some 4E for some random dudes I met running a 5E Adventurer's League game for the store I work at. Anyways, one of the guys took charge of organising and decided he would determine his stats by rolling 4d6 drop the lowest 7 times, and taking the best six. This of course resulted in his total stat bonuses being +13 before racial bumps. I said that I would prefer we used point buy/standard array to make sure everyone's stats were in the expected range for the 4E's maths, so as to avoid me having to do additional work balancing for random stats. He has come back and asked if he can used 30 points for point buy, rather than the normal 22.

My question is: are the extra points likely to cause issues with using the 4E maths as is, particularly if I'm running Gardmore Abbey? I don't really care if the players want higher stats (as long as they all use the same PB), but I don't want to have to do additional work to increase encounter difficulties and appropriate DCs if I can avoid it.

The 4e-specific thread is still active, but anyway.

You can't buy a score higher than an 18, and by extension getting a 20 at level 1 is going to require an 18 + a matching racial bonus, so the game shouldn't really break since all a higher PB gets you is better secondary and tertiary scores.

moths posted:

Well Basic is deadlier than I remember. We spent two hours relearning how to make characters, and then I killed a PC with the first attack of the game.

To be fair, he was poking a monster to provoke it. His character was an annoying halfling who courts danger - That's not an archetype that lives long in that kind of game.

I'd be willing to say that in some respects Basic is even deadlier than AD&D, considering the number of monsters that use "by weapon" as their damage, compared to low-level AD&D monsters that use either flat 1 damage, 1d2, or 1d3.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'd be willing to say that in some respects Basic is even deadlier than AD&D, considering the number of monsters that use "by weapon" as their damage, compared to low-level AD&D monsters that use either flat 1 damage, 1d2, or 1d3.
Not relevant to this, but another old memory to share about "a thing that exists":

There was a detailed Dragon Mag article (somewhere in the low 100s?) that gave weapon damage arranged by size for larger-than-human weapons. The fire giant with an ax or the storm giant with a steel club turned into another level of oh-poo poo.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

thefakenews posted:

Nope!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3605446&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

quote:

His defenses and skills will all be higher than the norm, but it won't push his optimization ceiling much higher. The biggest impact will actually be his secondary stat since the primary one is going to have an 18 or 20 no matter what. Still, rolling for stats is ugly.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
1. Did the Holmes/Blue Box Basic D&D set also get a reprint that we can expect a PDF out of eventually?

2. Was there ever an expansion of these rules beyond level 3, similar to the later Expert set?

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.

gradenko_2000 posted:

1. Did the Holmes/Blue Box Basic D&D set also get a reprint that we can expect a PDF out of eventually?

2. Was there ever an expansion of these rules beyond level 3, similar to the later Expert set?

I don't think the Holmes rules got a reprint when they did the premium reprints, but I might be wrong about that. There is a retroclone called BlueHolme out there. I not sure the Holmes rules were ever expanded or maybe they sort of were? My understanding was that they were superseded by the Moldvay version of basic, which got the Expert rules as another box set. And then those were replaced by the BECMI boxed sets by Mentzer. So it depends? :shrug:

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

thefakenews posted:

As others have said it won't mess with the math tooo much but the real question you could be asking is why does this guy feel he needs the extra points? The way you wrote it seems like he wasn't advocating the higher stats for everyone so a little talk might be helpful so you don't get frustrated with him later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Elfgames posted:

As others have said it won't mess with the math tooo much but the real question you could be asking is why does this guy feel he needs the extra points? The way you wrote it seems like he wasn't advocating the higher stats for everyone so a little talk might be helpful so you don't get frustrated with him later on.

That's poor wording on my part. He asked about increasing the point buy privately, but I think he intended everyone get the increase. During the 5E game he talked about how he liked his characters to be "OP", so I assume he just wants to play a game with more powerful characters. I'm used to running 4E with standard point buy but I don't really mind so long as it doesn't make more work for me. Edit: apparently he believes he needs 5 out of 6 scores to be high to make an effective Paladin.

A different question. A couple of years ago I managed to pick up a copy of the Rules Cyclopedia for $10, and recently a friend gave me his copy of his Mentzer Red Box. If I used both of them at the table, are there any substantial differences as far as the rules, for the level range contained in the Red Box?

thefakenews fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 6, 2016

• Locked thread