Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Haha, four sectoids. Let's see you get out of THIS one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Ahaha, four sectoids at once. :xcom:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

HenryEx posted:

"Beagleluck" is because people are loving idiots, not because he's lucky.

Beagleluck: Missing a 96% sniper shot, but gets a very cinematic miss
Beagleluck: Accidentally stumbling over a single lone soldier that got separated from his pod due to geometry upon spawn, ruining an amazing ambush and causing him to EVAC out immediately
Beagleluck: Yellow-moving backwards to retreat, and a stunlancer still runs out of the fog-of-war and one-hits his troops

Yea, and it's also needing just one hit to kill an exposed trooper, but rather than rushing all his troops forward to guarantee that hit, he misses 4 mid-percentage shots, and gives said trooper a chance to fire back, and perhaps kill one of his own, twice...which they also miss.

Beagle plays however the mood strikes him, ultimately. Usually that's in a smart way, but primarily it's in his playful, showman way (to make the stream more interesting, which I completely am fine with) and that's exactly the reason sometimes, why he can get rekt. Other than the usual :xcom: moments, that are legit just bad luck.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 1, 2016

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Where is Beagle streaming? I can't find anything on youtube.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 31, 2022

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The whole reason why Beagle is fun to watch is that he makes mistakes and is just good enough to get out of most of them.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

VDay posted:

The whole reason why Beagle is fun to watch is that he makes mistakes and is just good enough to get out of most of them.

No doubt. In terms of improvisation, he's deffo up there with the best, especially when you add up his commentary. It's why he's so fun to watch for me too.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Another 3 sectoid pod

god this is the mission that keeps on giving

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Speedball posted:

Haha, four sectoids. Let's see you get out of THIS one!

Wow Xcom 2 is so loving easy this is literally the first encounter you'd see in an EW campaign! :shepface:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I had to tune out of the stream because it was making me angry that I'm not playing it right now

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I don't really watch other people play so I'm not sure, is it typical to stack up soldiers behind the person furthest into the fog, even if they aren't in cover? I always spread mine out and into cover

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I don't really watch other people play so I'm not sure, is it typical to stack up soldiers behind the person furthest into the fog, even if they aren't in cover? I always spread mine out and into cover

If you don't move a soldier into unexplored territory, you don't need them to be in cover when you end their turn. Being in cover would only matter if alien that spotted you did anything other than scattering to cover. I haven't seen any that do that yet though.

Putting everyone into cover usually means someone will see something the rest of the squad didn't which increases your chances of triggering a pod.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
He's out of consumables and not even half-done with the mission he MUST win. This is getting pretty intense now.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It's fine if you know you're guaranteed a turn to react to seeing aliens. It's the same in XCOM:EU/EW. In the original game it mattered when you were pressed for time, eg bomb defuse and meld canisters, I expect in the new game it'll be more relevant with more timed objectives.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Man, after watching Beagle play around with the Holo decoys I can see a nerf coming in the near future.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Didn't they say they were changing things so that the enemy now has a chance to shoot you on their turn if they see you on patrol, precisely because of that, though

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
When you trigger the enemy they scatter, so instead of needing cover, what you really want to avoid is an activation with half your movement already spent. That's why you try to limit the scope by tailing your front runner.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Do units still teleport around the map in till you find them?

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Sylphosaurus posted:

Man, after watching Beagle play around with the Holo decoys I can see a nerf coming in the near future.

It's balanced in the same way you don't have another grenade to use.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Tenzarin posted:

Do units still teleport around the map in till you find them?

Nope!

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 31, 2022

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

splifyphus posted:

Apparently there is now a chance that a newly triggered pod will take a shot, but I'm pretty sure that's only for the first concealment overwatch. It's also a change that didn't make it into this review build.

There is a chance they will take a shot if one of the enemies in range is flanked/out of cover when the pod triggers

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 31, 2022

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
That heavy weapon fire missing the muton just a few inches away was some Naked Gun poo poo right there. I love it.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

splifyphus posted:

That's hosed up.

I think it's only if the trigger happens on their Turn. Beagle had discovered a strat where you overwatch everyone and leave one soldier out of cover, then they patrol into him on their turn, everyone takes their overwatch shot, and *then* you start a new turn without the enemy ever getting to fire. Was a fairly broken tactic and also anti-fun, since it involved lots and lots of setting up ambushes in the hopes that they'd patrol into you.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

bodda bing bodda boom *misses flanked shot from 2 feet way*

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Please tell me someone just gif'd that point-blank miss with the Muton just standing there.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Roobanguy posted:

bodda bing bodda boom *misses flanked shot from 2 feet way*

He went completely silent after that; it was hilarious

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
that stare off was extremely good

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Pomp posted:

that stare off was extremely good

It was honestly probably the most amazing thing I've seen from this game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

64bitrobot posted:

Like that scene in Pulp Fiction where the guy jumps out gun blazing and Vince and Jules are completely unharmed.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

64bitrobot posted:

Nah that's still the Advent Cube for me.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Just in this one mission, he's had i think three 95% or higher shots miss. It's just not his day.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The very first thing I thought on the blacksite reveal was "at least they're not playing computer games". Rip Shen.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
That dramatic pause was brilliant.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
that tree moved you all saw it

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

splifyphus posted:

Sectoids are kind of lackluster. They're big and scary and have lots of abilities, but it seems like it's pretty easy to kill them while they waste turns on psy rolls and zombies.

Felt that was the idea. Throw out lots of Sectoids who all have a random chance to mess you up and fling a pile of status effects and small obstacles at you, even though they can be cut down pretty easily. They exist to make it leagues harder for you to get the other units down and the job done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 31, 2022