Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

splifyphus posted:

Yeah, and I guess the potential is there for a multiple mind control RNG gently caress you if there's more than one. It's just weird to watch him give them without any real consequences, in EU impossible letting sectoids get turns within range when you only have T1 armor was how you lost.

Holy poo poo that mission turned the Avatar timer off!

I figured Beagle is just insane and was gambling hard as possible on half his team not being controlled or disoriented into uselessness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Aside from Council Dude, i'm not very impressed with the voice work. Shen sounds kinda bored all the time, Tygan sounds stilted as hell somehow and Bradford is... Bradford. The soldier voices are good for corny accents mostly, but when Beagle picked out a voice for his German ranger, almost all 10 voices sounded exactly the same.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Exposure posted:

Taking down the Blacksite removes two pips of avatar progress IIRC.

Each site generates Avatar progress and taking it out removes all that progress, it doesn't have to be 2 pips.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

RBA Starblade posted:

The very first thing I thought on the blacksite reveal was "at least they're not playing computer games". Rip Shen.

I approve of this post.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Darkrenown posted:

Each site generates Avatar progress and taking it out removes all that progress, it doesn't have to be 2 pips.

So it is not a hard timer to the game then. As long as you can manage sites and don't get hosed over by dark events you are not in danger of a RNG loss?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Does the guaranteed damage from stocks proc Shredder?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

splifyphus posted:

Sectoids are kind of lackluster. They're big and scary and have lots of abilities, but it seems like it's pretty easy to kill them while they waste turns on psy rolls and zombies.

In the same way that 2-3 zerkers coming at you was lackluster in Long War: oh hey since I know a tight group of melee beasts in a headlong rush is both a moderately likely encounter and an extremely dangerous one, I brought enough mines, grenades, and rockets to level a loving city block. With troops built for multi-shot attacks and motherfuckin flamethrowers to clean up.

Anyway, yeah. Let a couple of those big, grinning buffoons do their thing for a couple of turns, there's a chance they might seem a little more significant.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Grenades seem so fun.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 31, 2022

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

splifyphus posted:

That's what I would've thought, but Beagle's entire strategy with sectoids on this campaign so far is to take them down last, because they're way more likely to disorient/panic/zombie than actually do any damage, even if they have easy flanks. That whole blacksite mission was just letting swarms of sectoids be alive for multiple turns and they didn't accomplish much.

:negative: Well I had to encounter an aspect of the game that I found really disappointing at some point!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

LordNat posted:

So it is not a hard timer to the game then. As long as you can manage sites and don't get hosed over by dark events you are not in danger of a RNG loss?

As far as I know - although it's possible there's something that causes "offmap" progress that you can't reset.

And yeah, Sectoids gotta be more willing to take shots when they have them instead of loving about with zombies all the time.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

LonsomeSon posted:

:negative: Well I had to encounter an aspect of the game that I found really disappointing at some point!

That is what Mods are for. Give them all that PSI Lance power!

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I would like to point out that, Fallout, one of the best games ever had hard timers to the game. And that game owns.

Admittedly the second timer was patched out, but still.

Also this thread moves loving fast.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Darkrenown posted:

And yeah, Sectoids gotta be more willing to take shots when they have them instead of loving about with zombies all the time.

This is deffo the impression I'm getting too. Right now it seems, like, guaranteed 100% they'll raise a corpse first and then bla bla panic from afar. If it was shifted around a bit more randomly, so that it was more a 50/50 chance that 1st turn they either raise a corpse OR go for mind control, yea...suddenly you want to take the fuckers down faster.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Darkrenown posted:

You mean the alien facilties? Yeah those are variable but the Black Site mission is a story mission with a known variable (-2 pips). And I know the devs have been insistent in interviews (and an in-game tooltip I've seen) that you can't permanently halt Avatar Project progress, and so presuming they just weren't repeatedly misspeaking on that, I wouldn't be surprised if the main base can make progress on its own and you only have the limited story missions to rollback progress made there.

Which will make Beagle's stream really interesting since he's going be constantly on the edge with the Avatar Project thanks to his earlier decisions.

EDIT: And on sectoids, from what I've seen it's not even so much that they like doing psionic bullshit but they also like moving before doing psionic bullshit, even if XCOM troops are nearby with overwatch active.

Like if they were to stay still but still do psionic bullshit when Beagle tries to overwatch them, they would be a bit more of a threat, especially when they inevitably roll lucky and get mind control when they attack.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

HenryEx posted:

Aside from Council Dude, i'm not very impressed with the voice work. Shen sounds kinda bored all the time, Tygan sounds stilted as hell somehow and Bradford is... Bradford. The soldier voices are good for corny accents mostly, but when Beagle picked out a voice for his German ranger, almost all 10 voices sounded exactly the same.

yea that's a gamebreaker for me, I'm gonna have to pass on XCOM 2 solely on this complaint tbh

e: I was lurking for a bit and I am enjoying the stream too. I preordered today and I'm glad of it. Was playing XCOM EW all last week getting ready.

Lastgirl fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 1, 2016

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Melee: confirmed misses 100% of the time.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

95% to kill that sectoid

with laughter

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
what the heck is that BRRRRRRRR sound?

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

splifyphus posted:

Some kind of bug with suppression and miniguns.

oh dear~

man im itching now, and its all your fault for linking me this stream you dumb jerks

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
MODS NAME ME CRYPT QUEEN

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
Sectoids appear to be ineffective only if they don't have support. The few times he has triggered multiple pods and ignored the sectoids the sectoids really messed with his ability to fight the other troops.

Sectoids in bigger pods, or with more troublesome aliens, might be priority targets, while sectoids with fragile advent are best ignored. Seems like it isn't the individual ayy, but the pod comp.

Edit: or even a dark event making the advent not fall over dead to one round of shooting might change how to handle the sectoid. Advent overwatch pinning someone while a zombie closes for melee is a big big problem.

Cyclomatic fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 1, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Yeah I broke down and watched some snippets and I fully expect my first trip report will be 4 words and fully encompass everything that must be said:

GAME

GOOD

GOOD

GAME

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
http://i.imgur.com/8mYZ0Bh.gifv

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 31, 2022

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
"Alright guys, time for some kill zone." *ends turn*

*Aliens stand around for a smoke break*

"Goddamnit"

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
I'm a bit behind on knowledge mostly because I want to learn in-game as I go along, but the sniper/sharpshooter doesn't need snap-shot to move around and gun like xcom 1? I know there's been ability changes and all that, just curious about the movement penalty/fire restriction on snipers

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Is beaglerush still streaming? I checked his youtube and twitch pages and saw nothing. Link me please? (I also checked the OP)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

redreader posted:

Is beaglerush still streaming? I checked his youtube and twitch pages and saw nothing. Link me please? (I also checked the OP)

http://www.twitch.tv/miss_jamball

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

redreader posted:

He's on twitch.tv/miss_jamball like always man

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Man I wonder if any of the missing guys are in one of those cells, it would be so cool if they spawned inside cells during non-rescue missions.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

splifyphus posted:

That's pretty much the point. Their AI isn't very sophisticated - if they're alone they should be focusing on getting kills rather than zombies and status effects, which are only dangerous if there's a lot of other targets on the battlefield.

For a game that would be bad AI. Sectoids behave in a way that is predictable and can be neutralized by exploiting their nature, or become a big big problem if the pod scatter, terrain, or just plain bad luck screws up the neutralization plan. A campaign is a lot of missions, with many pods per mission. The sectoid AI is good because its nature will make things go really bad when things go a little bad, and the player will remember that incident as 'that is Xcom'.

Xcom doesn't stand a chance if the AI is playing smart. Especially if it is willing to suicide for a kill.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Lastgirl posted:

I'm a bit behind on knowledge mostly because I want to learn in-game as I go along, but the sniper/sharpshooter doesn't need snap-shot to move around and gun like xcom 1? I know there's been ability changes and all that, just curious about the movement penalty/fire restriction on snipers
Snipers are the only class to carry pistols now and they basically auto-switch to pistols after they move. So yeah, to shoot your rifle you'd need a snapshot equivalent, which I honestly can't remember if they can get. To top it off, reload is now a blue action instead of a turn-ending action, but firing a sniper rifle is a 2-action event, so they cannot reload and fire in the same turn, unlike other classes.

e: Well, I suppose with Death From Above a sniper could kill someone at lower elevation and then reload. Still, it seems strictly worse than Quickdraw to me, even on a sniper focusing on the rifle perks. Completely just remembering the tree, Gunslingers that pick up the Col. sniper perk seem like the best option.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 2, 2016

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Lastgirl posted:

There is no snap-shot equivalent, but Sharpshooters always have access to their pistol which no other class gets (other classes have Swords/Grenade Launcher/Gremlin as their secondaries).

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

I believe there's a perk that refunds 1 action point if you score a kill with the sniper rifle from a higher elevation than the enemy. So you could shoot the rifle and move or reload in that instance but not the other way around. Death From Above I think it was called?

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
Just joined the stream at work.

Has he slept since last night?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Rougey posted:

Just joined the stream at work.

Has he slept since last night?

I think he has played non-stop 10 hours now(?)