Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

cathead posted:

We'll be getting 11 points from Hongmoon 1-5. 5 for level 1, 1 for levels 2 and 4, 2 for levels 3 and 5. Also these patches since beta have actually nerfed summoners primary damage, so it's not some conspiracy theory. They've actually adjusted player arena HP upward since beta so that fights are less bursty, since at 50 the HP to damage ratio is more in favor of HP.

Korea goes up to Hongmoon 20, 69 skill points. realistically though most people are around Hongmoon 10-15 because the higher hongmoon levels take MUCH longer to get through, so it's more like 54-62. I don't know how Korea balances but I'm willing to bet it's around the average and not max Hongmoon levels. Not every class gets "burst" either it's more that you can get more of the skills that you need to handle various situations, as well as having the extra points you'll need to get the ultimate skills (since they cost multiple points to get).

At any rate, things will start to even out between the classes a lot more as we get 50, more hongmoon levels, and all of the different hongmoon skills get implemented (we're getting some with the next patch but not all).

I wasn't suggesting a conspiracy or anything. Just that the meta in NA seems kinda fucky after I heard what a great competitive game this is. I did some digging and found out we're currently on the September 2015 patch, which might explain it. My concern is if they're doing these out of sync balance patches it won't really fix a lot. We're getting balanced on content that's not released, which can cause weird things to happen. They did say in this patch though all HM skills will only cost 2 points, so maybe that will help?

I don't know. I hope they release the content to get us in sync with Korea fairly quickly. I can't see numbers staying high in the current environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Haroshia posted:

I wasn't suggesting a conspiracy or anything. Just that the meta in NA seems kinda fucky after I heard what a great competitive game this is. I did some digging and found out we're currently on the September 2015 patch, which might explain it. My concern is if they're doing these out of sync balance patches it won't really fix a lot. We're getting balanced on content that's not released, which can cause weird things to happen. They did say in this patch though all HM skills will only cost 2 points, so maybe that will help?

I don't know. I hope they release the content to get us in sync with Korea fairly quickly. I can't see numbers staying high in the current environment.

It's a byproduct of the QoL and mechanics changes in the patches being tied to the balance. They want to make sure we have the most up to date QoL/UI/gameplay stuff, but they still need time to get later content translated and rolled out. I also think they prefer having a steady stream of content to add while the game is in it's infancy, rather than just giving us all of the content at once, which trivalizes and obsoletes a lot of earlier stuff from the get go and then we're just stuck waiting for months for korea + longer for translation.

It's kind of a catch-22. If they tried to put us on a much earlier patch to account for lv45 pvp balance, we'd be missing SO MUCH of the QoL stuff we have now and it would require significantly more work to integrate those things at the speed they want to add content at. I don't think some of you guys realize how much the game has changed since then. So the alternative is having us on the later patch already which gets us caught up much quicker and some classes just have to suck it up for awhile in PvP and deal with the balance issues knowing that it'll be much less time to wait. I think the best thing to do in the meantime is just play your preferred class anyway, and be all the better once 50 rolls around and things even out more.

It's like Goku training with weighted clothes! :goku:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It still feels bad to get face rolled by an Assassin that I can't dodge, block, target, or hit.

Real bad :smithfrog:

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Lemming posted:

It still feels bad to get face rolled by an Assassin that I can't dodge, block, target, or hit.

Real bad :smithfrog:

They're getting nothing but buffs in the next patch, and the changing of F with daze on knockdown means you have even less of a chance to break out of their primary combo.

:negative:

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
For the Jiwan clan GoonWangFu, I made it so anyone rank member and higher can invite, so just as in this thread for one and you should get it. we are at 39 out of 60 total right now.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Wait, how is F on daze/knockdown getting changed? The vast majority of BM CC is daze or knockdown, if every idiot can't auto-win against me by mashing F every time I swing sord I think that'll help a lot. I can't get combo'd from 100-25 any more than I already am.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Lemming posted:

Wait, how is F on daze/knockdown getting changed? The vast majority of BM CC is daze or knockdown, if every idiot can't auto-win against me by mashing F every time I swing sord I think that'll help a lot. I can't get combo'd from 100-25 any more than I already am.

Yeah it's a buff to BMs as well, so that's nice.

Patch Notes posted:

When you are Knock Down, if you are inflicted with Stun or Groggy status, the skill which can be used when you are Knock Down become inactive.

When you are Knock Down or Groggy, if you are inflicted with Stun status, Backward Roll cannot be used.

Groggy is daze.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
I'm learning to play against blade dancers and destroyers now! I used to freak out when my cat is snagged away from me, knocked out, then thrown across the other side of the room. After learning not to panic and just play slowly while sticking with my cat I started winning. Destroyers I've heard to use my True Friend shield early on because they'll charge at me and stun me as soon as the match starts and so far that has been working. I'll just start running away like an idiot and dandelion every time they throw that hook or leap. I'm not used to playing defensively but managed to snag 22 points off a high ranked destroyer putting me into 1800. I just need 100 more points until I can join the platinum club.

Still willing to spar with anyone for practice!

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Rhymenoserous posted:

I should mention that this game has some of the worst bear rear end collecting available that I've ever seen.

Oh sure, I'd absolutely love to collect 15 bear asses for you, all in this small area where only 5 bears spawn and seven other people are camping the poo poo out of the individual bear spawn points in order to harvest some rear end.

Pfffah closed tagging? Hell yeah. I loving love this outdated concept from the early aught aughts that every other game developer has gotten the gently caress rid of.

I know I'll swap to channel 7. Oh gently caress 15 people are camping instead of the orignal 7, so I'll just switch back. A TIMER? HURRAY!

Don't forget the rest of the story!

- everyone is forced to play through the same zones and quests in the same order; there is no "go to a different zone to quest for a while"
- grinding is terribly ineffective, so skipping the quests is basically impossible

Fortunately, I play as a KFM with a low ping so it goes quick (I can instantly distance-tag from three different abilities). Given how backwards the design is, I am usually pleasantly surprised at how quickly it does finish.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

cathead posted:

Hahaha you think people actually read that thing.

:smith:

they do cause I keep seeing "the op refuses to put this guild / server in the op"

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad NCSoft took care about the botting problem

oh wait I guess it did nothing

By the way, does anyone know if there's a limit to the item claim storage? I haven't picked up any of the Daily Dash or Student Bundle items since I play on a bunch of characters at the same time and can never decide who gets what. So far I've got 33 items in there, waiting to be claimed :v:

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Third World Reggin posted:

they do cause I keep seeing "the op refuses to put this guild / server in the op"

Uhhh I haven't seen any new additions. Which ones still need to be added?

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

cathead posted:

Old Man Cho and Poharan guilds. But I believe neither posted their (guild) names or actually requested them to be put in the OP so whatever.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Liberatore posted:

Old Man Cho and Poharan guilds. But I believe neither posted their (guild) names or actually requested them to be put in the OP so whatever.

Yeah uh, if you guys need a guild added and don't hear from me in thread for whatever reason, you can always ping me on the Discord.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

cathead posted:

Yeah uh, if you guys need a guild added and don't hear from me in thread for whatever reason, you can always ping me on the Discord.

another ploy in the mumble vs discord cold war

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Thursday Next posted:

Don't forget the rest of the story!

- everyone is forced to play through the same zones and quests in the same order; there is no "go to a different zone to quest for a while"
- grinding is terribly ineffective, so skipping the quests is basically impossible
You can skip quests anyway (like all the out of the way side quests in the desert), mostly due to how OP hongmoon weapons are. Being a few levels under mobs is not THAT big of a deal.

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010
Anything I should be saving my Brilliant Moonwater Key for? The Profane weapon is what I keep hearing to use it on since that boss is annoying.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
looks like i'm sticking with Destroyer until Warlocks are in the game, could use an invite on Mushin, name is Hank Steele

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

The Poharan guild is named "booty" and is made up of mostly Age of Wushu nerds from the "Freedom Bloc". We're Blue, and for an invite you can message either Leffe, Chroma, Shazzy, or Delphy if you're on during bad hours.

Plz add to OP I do not know how to discord thx.

Haroshia fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 2, 2016

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Haroshia posted:

The Poharan guild is named "booty" and is made up of mostly Age of Wushu nerds from the "Freedom Bloc". We're Blue, and for an invite you can message either Leffe, Chroma or Shazzy .

You're never bloody online when I try, and neither is leffe! Maybe i just have bad hours.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

HapiMerchant posted:

You're never bloody online when I try, and neither is leffe! Maybe i just have bad hours.

Edited post. You probably aren't seeing me because I stopped playing my KFM and made a BM. Delphy is on during weird hours and I think he has invite privileges.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

KFM is interesting, but drat it is a big step up in difficulty from BM. I'm thinking I'd do better as BM and view it as the Not Fury Warrior for simple but good. XD Anyway if the blue Jiwan guild still has room, I'd love an invite as Aleksandara.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Rhymenoserous posted:

Really this is the biggest thing goons bitch about and to date pretty much every MMO past ultima online has existed somewhere on the bear rear end collection spectrum.

Even the A+ single player MMO SW:TOR was all about bear asses. I mean granted it was fully voice acted bear rear end collection, but still bear asses.

So to break it down for you: Yesterdays MMO questing was about collecting bear asses. Tommorows MMO questing will be about collecting bear asses. A few people will innovate by making you throw the bear asses at things after collecting them, but it won't be a trend or anything.
I really hate that SW:G crashed and burned so badly.

Things could be different now...

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Haroshia posted:

The Poharan guild is named "booty" and is made up of mostly Age of Wushu nerds from the "Freedom Bloc". We're Blue, and for an invite you can message either Leffe, Chroma, Shazzy, or Delphy if you're on during bad hours.

Added

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It's absolutely hilarious how easy pvping is as a summoner. I'm even using a PVE build.

Only assassin, kung fu master, and force master give me some trouble. but even then eh.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003

LumberingTroll posted:

For the Jiwan clan GoonWangFu, I made it so anyone rank member and higher can invite, so just as in this thread for one and you should get it. we are at 39 out of 60 total right now.

Cool in as Loola level 30 sin.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It's absolutely hilarious how easy pvping is as a summoner. I'm even using a PVE build.

Only assassin, kung fu master, and force master give me some trouble. but even then eh.

None of those should, in fact each of those is considered a bad pair against a summoner. Summoners rely on lots of immobility and area denials as well as interrupting combos with your cat. And you can go 100% immune to ranged.

Destroyers are particularly good at handling summoners, as are Blade Dancers. Both of these because you cannot lock them down easilly, Blade Dancers just cannot be rooted.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

cathead posted:

Old Man Cho has GoonTang Forever, Red clan. Any member can invite, but Yurifel and Black Daimyonite are two higher ups.

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

Eimi posted:

KFM is interesting, but drat it is a big step up in difficulty from BM. I'm thinking I'd do better as BM and view it as the Not Fury Warrior for simple but good. XD Anyway if the blue Jiwan guild still has room, I'd love an invite as Aleksandara.

amyyyy

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007

Velveteen posted:

I'm learning to play against blade dancers and destroyers now! I used to freak out when my cat is snagged away from me, knocked out, then thrown across the other side of the room. After learning not to panic and just play slowly while sticking with my cat I started winning. Destroyers I've heard to use my True Friend shield early on because they'll charge at me and stun me as soon as the match starts and so far that has been working. I'll just start running away like an idiot and dandelion every time they throw that hook or leap. I'm not used to playing defensively but managed to snag 22 points off a high ranked destroyer putting me into 1800. I just need 100 more points until I can join the platinum club.

Still willing to spar with anyone for practice!

Yeah summoners is interesting as a BD. It comes down to if I can cc the cat and immediately catch the summoner in an aerial right after. If I can, I can chunk him like crazy.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Krilion posted:

None of those should, in fact each of those is considered a bad pair against a summoner. Summoners rely on lots of immobility and area denials as well as interrupting combos with your cat. And you can go 100% immune to ranged.

Destroyers are particularly good at handling summoners, as are Blade Dancers. Both of these because you cannot lock them down easilly, Blade Dancers just cannot be rooted.

I frequently only have trouble against those kinds. Force masters just loving root me/ice me and I get none of my breaks for whatever reason

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I frequently only have trouble against those kinds. Force masters just loving root me/ice me and I get none of my breaks for whatever reason

Double tap back escapes all roots, but I usually wait it out and cast petals over me, making them unable to do anything as my cat eats their face. They want to root you and combo, so save your ss for when they think they have you, then jump out, knock them down with your cat so they use their escape, then root and needle them while ruining them with regen from doom and bloom.

Krilion fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 2, 2016

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

God drat you Dura, don't you do this to me again tonight.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

FM PvP update: tonight everyone resisted all my snares so I lost a bunch instead of winning a bunch. Sad times. I should probably just be playing assassin or summoner instead but I am not smart enough for that approach. I'll just pretend that in the future people might resist less.

Is there any way to tell when a spinning BD is countering and when they're safe to plink at? It seems to be like 60/40 safe to shoot time, but those are pretty bad odds when the wrong call gets me stunned into an air combo. KFM glowing hands are nice and obvious, Assassin tree stance I often notice too late but at least it's possible to spot. BDs? No loving clue, all that spinning nonsense looks the same.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Irony.or.Death posted:

FM PvP update: tonight everyone resisted all my snares so I lost a bunch instead of winning a bunch. Sad times. I should probably just be playing assassin or summoner instead but I am not smart enough for that approach. I'll just pretend that in the future people might resist less.

Is there any way to tell when a spinning BD is countering and when they're safe to plink at? It seems to be like 60/40 safe to shoot time, but those are pretty bad odds when the wrong call gets me stunned into an air combo. KFM glowing hands are nice and obvious, Assassin tree stance I often notice too late but at least it's possible to spot. BDs? No loving clue, all that spinning nonsense looks the same.

BDs parry for 0.5 seconds after starting the move, the move lasts long than that. So unless you can read the animation perfectly and time your attacks, it seems like a crapshoot to me.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

Clarste posted:

BDs parry for 0.5 seconds after starting the move, the move lasts long than that. So unless you can read the animation perfectly and time your attacks, it seems like a crapshoot to me.

They can actually use it more than the animation goes for anyway.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dura wins again tonight.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

What the gently caress is the point of games anyway?

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
Welp I just met my first bid dropper. A brilliant hexagonal amethyst dropped on 4 man blackram supply chain and I was doing small incremental bids with another person when the a third person jumped in and dropped over 40g. Obviously we all backed out (I couldn't even afford it) and he just left the party before it was over. We ended up rebidding until I snagged it for 5g. A nice profit for a not so good run.

Unsurprisingly he was extremely condescending to the group the entire run, trying to explain everything even though the rest of us had told him we've done this multiple times. As well as mocking people when they died and then dying no more than 5 seconds afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

I like how the difficulty ramps up when you get to the Scorching Sands. That Relic Core Quest in Sandstone refuge was the first quest I have come across that required more then a faceroll.

I also threw in the Japanese voice pack which can now bypass the launcher by doing this.

quote:

http://www.bladeandsouldojo.com/topic/115763-voice-pack-jpn-kr-2015-edition/page__st__120__p__888780#entry888780

So here's a pretty simple guide for anyone interested, Japanese voices specifically. Combines stuff from this post and from here. I take 0 credit for any of this work, just compiled multiple sources and files into a simple guide.

I didn't mind overwriting files and keeping a backup, so that you don't get any error messages when trying to start up the game. Tried to make it as similar to launching it normally as possible.

If you've tried doing ANY of this before, or messed with your CookedPC folder in general, as WilhemFaus says you may want to delete your CookedPC folder and open up the game with the normal launcher and let it redownload the files so you have a clean CookedPC folder

1) Back up your CookedPC folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\NCSOFT\BnS\contents\Local\NCWEST\ENGLISH\, just in case
2) Download the Japanese voices https://mega.nz/#!hEtwiKbS!ufzr3O-xkSTBBuS3rtvnAZGaAZR9EKOTXFdfxTiLRys
3) Download Shear's fix for extra voices and fixed textures http://www.mediafire.com/download/q6m8kqdwg5ejakb/BNSJPNextra.7z
4) Download the batch file https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw3MNKRv2PX9VEtnQUNraDR5MzQ/view?usp=sharing

5) Copy the batch file from step 4 into C:\Program Files (x86)\NCSOFT\BnS\bin
5a) If you're playing in EU, go to step 6
5b) If you're playing in NA, edit the batch file (in Notepad) and change the region from 1 to 0.

6) Copy the voice files from step 2 into the CookedPC folder (not your backup); replace any if prompted
7) Copy Shear's files from step 3 into the same CookedPC folder (not your backup); replace any if prompted

8) Go to your Blade and Soul shortcut that you use to launch the game, right-click and change properties. Under "Target: " replace what was there with "C:\Program Files (x86)\NCSOFT\BnS\bin\start_client.bat" including the quotes. Under "Start in: " replace what was there with "C:\Program Files (x86)\NCSOFT\BnS\bin\" including the quotes. Now when you launch Blade and Soul normally it automatically opens using the batch file from step 4. If you use a Start Menu shortcut AND a Desktop shortcut, you may have to do this for both, but it's super easy.

So from my play time since I've done this, all complete JP voices in cutscenes and everywhere else, no messed up textures, very easy to launch (basically the same as if you didn't have any mods; you do have to put all your login details every time though). There's been no patches to the game since I've done this so no idea what happens but I'd assume you just launch it using the normal launcher (in the \BnS\bin folder) to patch it, and maaaaybe re-copy the files from steps 2 and 3 into the CookedPC folder again.

Unfortunately this does not actually fix how poor the English translation is for dialogue or skills, nor does it re-add the story section they removed in Act 3(?)

Your Moms Ahegao fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Feb 2, 2016

• Locked thread